Author Topic: Parts interchangeability ?  (Read 1737 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 26, 2009, 12:39:38 pm
A friend got to wondering.  Long story short, how far back could you go with "modern" parts?  Can you put recent iron head parts on a 60's era Bullet?  Will most bits from an AVL fir on a recent iron head?
(He says that the sobriquet of Royal Oilfield has fit the older examples he's seen and got to wondering how fixable that is)
Run what ya brung

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 01:26:01 pm
It's been my experience with my 2006 AVL that it's simply hit or miss. Some parts have bolted right up (like the Turn Signals and solo seat and Amal) some have required a little modification (like the trials rear fender bracket) and some just wouldn't fit (like some rear luggage racks and saddle bag supports).

No idea about the new UCE stuff...

Matt

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 01:46:29 pm
What about engine bits?  Anything shared by the AVL and iron barrels?
Run what ya brung

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 03:32:20 pm
There isn't alot of compatibility between the AVL and Iron Barrel engine.
However, there have been some creative people who have done some conversions. These aren't straight "bolt on" type mods, but with some modifications to the parts, some can go on and be used.
For example, the AVL timing cover with the gear-type oil pumps can be converted to use on an Iron Barrel Bullet, with some welding and re-drilling of the oil passages.
I've heard of a person in the UK using an Iron Barrel crank in an AVL, although that project isn't completed as yet.
The AVL cylnder barrel is shorter than the Iron Barrel, so that can't be easily swapped, and the AVL head is taller, so that can't be put on an Iron Barrel and still have it fit in the frame.
Not sure about the primary cover units, but they might be swappable as a complete cover set. I'd have to look at the bolt pattern where it bolts up to the engine.

As far as old Iron Barrel engine parts and new iron Barrel engine parts, they are mostly interchangeable. There may be some issues with thread compatibility between newer metric threaded parts, and older Imperial threaded parts.
The old Redditch Iron Barrel head will fit on the new Indian Iron Barrel engine(and vice versa) but the ports on the English head are smaller than the Indian head. Some people use that head to improve low-rpm torque because of the smaller port size.
Pretty much all the stuff is interchangeable from old to new. Except threads.
The transmission has some minor differences from the old tranny, and I don't know if it precludes interchangeability of the cases and covers or not. I think the inner guts are identical. And everything else if very similar, but I still haven't determined if the old Albion right-side shifter parts and inner/outer covers will actually bolt on to the new without any mods.

Home of the Fireball 535 !