Author Topic: Shocks  (Read 2634 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 29, 2008, 02:15:15 pm
I contacted Progressive, and they said they don't have any recommendations for "this year, make, or model".  I guess that means they never even heard of RE...

Has anyone replaced theirs?  What did you use and how do you like them?

Run what ya brung

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 03:04:35 pm
Hagon shocks.
They are the present owners of what used to be Girling.
Girling shocks were highly regarded  shocks in the old days. This was before Koni and all the other newer "big name" shocks were popular. Girlings were the performance shocks used on the old Brit bikes.
There's nothing wrong with Girling/Hagon shocks. They will work well, are relatively affordable, and easily available. Chrome or black springs too. They are good shocks, and all the old Nortons, Triumphs, Rickmans, Dunstalls, etc, had them.

CMW has them with the correct springs already on them for the Bullet, and you can get them shrouded or unshrouded.

If you are really after modern track-like performance shocks, you can look at the Ikon shocks in the 7610 model range, with 11.5"(about 290-295mm) eye-to-eye length, and specify the spring rates you want to buy, and the hole sizes for the studs/bolts on each end.. I think you can even get them with alloy bodies, if you want to spend alot.
You will have to do the spring spec and tell them, because they probably don't have a listing for the Bullet.
Ikon took over making the Koni motorcycle shock line, after Koni abandoned motorcycle shocks. They are very nice, but are about twice the price of the Hagon.

My experience has been that getting longer shocks that are 12" long, which are easier to find, raises the rear end too much and makes the handling more twitchy, and I didn't like it. Same thing happens if you use too much preload on the springs. I don't think raising the rear end is a good thing on the Bullet.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 03:11:24 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 05:06:48 pm
     The Hagon shocks are really good and a great value. I sell  lots of these to fit older bikes of all types. Unless you have some special need, the set from CMW is great as is. You might want heavier springs for side car use. Call CMW or your local dealer (or even me! 866-VINCEMC) for details.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:38:52 pm
Ace and Vince, there's absolutely no way the rest of us can ever put a price on your knowledge and willingness to share it with your colleagues!!!

WOWZAA!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 11:08:38 pm
I have hagons on my W and they seem fine.  Didn't think to look in the store here- thanks.
(Another problem with getting longer shocks is it makes it harder to use the center stand.)
Run what ya brung

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 01:33:17 am
Yeouch- those covers are $100 extra?!
May I assume the Hagons are wider or thicker so the covers I have now will not fit over the Hagons?
Run what ya brung

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 02:45:50 pm
Yeouch- those covers are $100 extra?!
May I assume the Hagons are wider or thicker so the covers I have now will not fit over the Hagons?

I never tried it.
They might fit.
Probably CMW would know, if you get the tech guy on the phone.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 05:08:46 pm
Duh- I should have called before.  Missed the sale, too.
He said stock covers won't fit.  Too bad.
Run what ya brung

72westie

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 03:11:19 pm
Works Performance also makes shocks for the Enfields. They set the spring rate for your weight and what type of riding you are going to be doing. We have ran them for a while and they are pretty nice shocks.
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Race Bike:
2008 Ahrma Classic 60's #1 Plate
2009 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
2010 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
http://www.bgmotorcycle.com