Author Topic: High Speed from New Delhi  (Read 268 times)

zundapp

• Scooter
on: April 07, 2021, 07:34:27 pm
Not so often, only occasionally, something really makes you go WOW!   Today, I had one of those moments.

On the 3rd of April I ordered a pair of fork gaiters (£25.01 including shipping) on ebay from a seller 'Autostreek', based in New Delhi.   Today the 7th April, a nice man from Fedex handed me the package.   4 days from India to Scotland - incredible!  ;D
Can he fix it - no, it's fucked!

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 08:05:16 pm
Not so often, only occasionally, something really makes you go WOW!   Today, I had one of those moments.

On the 3rd of April I ordered a pair of fork gaiters (£25.01 including shipping) on ebay from a seller 'Autostreek', based in New Delhi.   Today the 7th April, a nice man from Fedex handed me the package.   4 days from India to Scotland - incredible!  ;D

That's definitely quick!

Last couple of things I ordered from India took 2.5 to 3 weeks to get to me. Congrats!
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 08:43:58 pm
First order, from India (to Orlando, FL) for RE parts/accessories, I made took 2-3 days.  Came via DHL. 

Second order (same vendor) came via the equivalent of FedEx... and got here in that amount of time yours took - 4 days.

Can't complain... good experience so far.
Ride safe!
Wachuko
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650

Bibbage

• Scooter
  • Suffolk UK
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 08:51:47 pm

I don’t want to spoil your thunder, but you may get a letter from FedEx demanding extra payment.  I hope you don’t, but I did when i ordered the sump guard.  They charged a handling fee of £12 which I got them to waive.  I had to pay an extra £25 just to get them off my back.  Now I only deal with royalspares and I specify that they don’t ship with FedEx.
Delivery time is always impressive, good luck.
Current Bikes:-
Interceptor 650 (Baker Express)
Triumph Speed Twin 5TA (1966)
Past Bikes:-
Honda S90 (first bike)
Honda CB160
Triumph T21 3TA 350
BSA Bantam 150
Suzuki 80
Honda CB125
Honda Super Dream 250
Triumph Legend 900
Suzuki GSX750F

CPJS

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 09:43:04 pm
I don’t want to spoil your thunder, but you may get a letter from FedEx demanding extra payment.  I hope you don’t, but I did when i ordered the sump guard.  They charged a handling fee of £12 which I got them to waive.  I had to pay an extra £25 just to get them off my back.  Now I only deal with royalspares and I specify that they don’t ship with FedEx.
I have had the extra charges from FedEx, I thought it was an import duty being levied.
I will have to check.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
Honda CRF250L
BSA B25SS

Still young enough not to care, too old to remember why.

zundapp

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 10:10:39 pm

I'll keep my fingers crossed!   ::)
Can he fix it - no, it's fucked!

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 10:32:53 pm
Y'all likely know this but Ebay vendors show an estimated ship time in the ad.  It's worth checking it as I've occasionally  found quite a variation even at similar price points.

On some orders from India I've had quick (4 to 6 day) delivery even to semi-rural Arizona.  Others, 4 to 6 weeks.

Interceptor 650, Honda VT500 Ascot at present
Norton Commando, Ducati Diana Mk. III, CB 500/570, KLR 650, Ducati 250 Scrambler, CB 350, Honda S 90, YDS-3, SV 650 and a few others in the past.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 12:05:39 am
I had that happen they charged me £70 in duty and would not hand over the goods until l payed the duty fees on a watch.

Bibbage

• Scooter
  • Suffolk UK
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 10:39:22 am
I had that happen they charged me £70 in duty and would not hand over the goods until l payed the duty fees on a watch.

That’s fair enough if it’s import duty.  In my case FedEx came up with a fictitious shipping fee and then charged VAT on it.  Although the guard was eBay postage included, I argued and they waived the handling fee, but I got nowhere on the VAT.  So beware! 
Current Bikes:-
Interceptor 650 (Baker Express)
Triumph Speed Twin 5TA (1966)
Past Bikes:-
Honda S90 (first bike)
Honda CB160
Triumph T21 3TA 350
BSA Bantam 150
Suzuki 80
Honda CB125
Honda Super Dream 250
Triumph Legend 900
Suzuki GSX750F

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 02:49:30 pm
Thankfully, here in The States we seem to have been spared the extortions of previously unexpressed VAT (Value Added Tax, or "sales tax"), customs duties, or those extra special "handling fees." I believe I might simply decline receipt of the goods on the general principle that I'd already paid in full, file a claim with eBay/PayPal, and advise the shipper to chase the sender for whatever they feel they're owed.

And, not to run this thread too far off the rails, but I couldn't help notice "zundapp's" unusual user name. What's the backstory there, I wonder? I'm one of few Yankees who's owned not just one, but two Zündapps, both Bella R201 scooters. In fact, I'm actually resurrecting the '57 right now--my old "Daily Driver" in '80s Berlin. It's actually a formidable vehicle that got me over the Alps four times to and from Italian vacations.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

(Legal enough to pass muster if they don't look too closely in Woodbridge, Virginia, where the buses don't run at night, holidays or weekends and I'm a contender for 'Village Idiot')