Author Topic: Lucas High low off switch connections to wiring system.  (Read 131 times)

Rory123

• Scooter
Hi All ,

My first post and New to the world of RE.

I have just had my late fathers RE 1995 Bullet (not sure of the model  I believe Indian export)  shipped to the uk and am in the process of trying to get it up and running.

I remember my father saying to me that it used to be a 6v and he converted it to a 12v .

This is as much information I have re the Bike .

The manuals that came with it show a 12v wiring system. But he might have had them to convert.

All Bulbs are 12  and the coil is 12v.

I have just ordered a new Lucas off L/H switch and was wondering how to wire it up .

I don’t have the red/ white wire that comes from the ignition so I’m assuming as a 6v there was no need for this .

Attached are some pics of what I have .

Any tips or things to check or which wires to put where would be most appreciated.

If more info needed I can find it out.

Novice but willing to learn .[/img][/img]

Rory123

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 06:58:24 pm
Forgot to add that I wired it up as per the instructions but it blows the 20 amp fuse when I turn it on

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 09:19:28 pm
Try just the following connections on the lighting switch.

Terminal 2: to headlamp dipswitch;

Terminal 3: 12V power in from the ammeter;

Terminal 4: Pilot/parking lights;

Terminal 5: Speedometer light and tail light.

THAT'S IT! DON'T WIRE UP ANY OTHER TERMINALS FOR 12V!

If that doesn't work drop me a private message, I have a simplified wiring diagram.

Roughly where in the UK are you? They've let a few of us Brits sign on here!

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Rory123

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 09:41:28 pm
Hi Adrian,

Thanks so much I will give it a try tomorrow and let you know if any joy.

I’m  from  Taunton , originally from Malawi where the bike came from. It has not run for about 15 years so I think a lot work to be done !!

Thanks again.

Rory

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 07:18:00 pm
If it's blowing fuse that indicates short, you must have the wires in the wrong place, those wires in the switch don't look neat a lot of bear wire hanging off nearly touching another terminal.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 09:44:43 pm
Bear wires? A grizzly fate awaits. Bare wires aren't such a good idea either...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 10:14:52 am
If it's blowing a 20 amp fuse every time you turn it on, it has one serious sort circuit, l don't like the look of those connections and the strands of wire going everywhere, bit of a disaster in contex. I would clean up the screw connector wires and check they are connected in the right sequence, firstly you know it's a switch related issue because it only blows when operated, so check all the wires on that circuit. Seems to me you have a live contacting ground causing a short, check the diagrams again make sure you have not wrongly connect the feeds. Also check inside the headlight look at the wires via a magnifying glass look for any arks on wires caused by blowing fuse.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:40:44 am by Karl Fenn »

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 12:57:00 pm
A useful tool to have in your box whilst examining electric circuits.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 08:38:22 pm
Mind you with hindsight l think on a bike that old for my own peace of mind l would go through everything, especially the electrics and all connectors, and the fuel system and brakes, give it a good recommissioning.