Author Topic: Recall and Non-BYBRE Calipers  (Read 10059 times)

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #30 on: April 06, 2021, 07:54:50 pm
Brembo Stickers on a noname chinese Caliper is just embarassing.

"Embarrassment only truly exists if others exist who believe you should truly be embarrassed." - Some guy named Phil I met on the train after he caught me two knuckles deep in my nose.

“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: April 06, 2021, 08:19:09 pm
Whats next? A Harley sticker on a Classic 500? A second dummy cylinder made of plastic?
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #32 on: April 06, 2021, 08:22:49 pm
Regardless of the manufacturer of the replacement calipers that meet or exceed the original design requirements the fact is that RE has recognized a (potential) failure and it resolving the problem at NO CHARGE  to the owner.

YellowDuck

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: April 06, 2021, 08:29:27 pm
I don't mean to be rude, but if anyone thought a single two-pot, two-pad slider caliper was some kind of performance equipment just because it was supposedly designed by Brembo....well I'm not sure what to say about that.  It is multiple generations behind what counts as performance equipment nowadays - just like everything else on these lovely bikes.  It's not really the point, is it?

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #34 on: April 06, 2021, 08:53:32 pm
I don't mean to be rude, but if anyone thought a single two-pot, two-pad slider caliper was some kind of performance equipment just because it was supposedly designed by Brembo....well I'm not sure what to say about that.  It is multiple generations behind what counts as performance equipment nowadays - just like everything else on these lovely bikes.  It's not really the point, is it?

I don't think anyone on here actually thinks the stock calipers, regardless of how they're marked, are performance parts. So, you're not being rude  ;D
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #35 on: April 06, 2021, 09:06:59 pm
Whats next? A Harley sticker on a Classic 500? A second dummy cylinder made of plastic?

They make those?  Must have!

Oh wait... I already have two cylinders...  8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:10:47 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: April 06, 2021, 09:35:44 pm

I think Yamaha already tried a faux V-twin.  :o

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: April 06, 2021, 09:40:41 pm
I'm sure they are still made by ByBre, they just don't have the logo on there.

Clearly they were in a hurry to correct this issue before more people got injured or killed and probably left the logo off to expedite the manufacturing process is my guess.
Was anyone injured or killed?
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
  • I like to move it move it.
Reply #38 on: April 06, 2021, 09:58:13 pm

No idea; i don't know the details of the recall other than what my dealer told me.  I certainly hope not.
Past Bikes: Ducati, Kawasaki's, Triumph's  Current: 2020 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 06, 2021, 10:08:47 pm

From what little info I can find no one has been injured, let alone killed. Essentially the rear brakes on a few bikes, I've heard as few as four, in England locked up from corrosion. RE issued an inspection notice and found that quite a few had caliper piston corrosion issues and acted out of an abundance of caution to replace them. ALL of my info came from online sources so take it for what it's worth.  ;)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #40 on: April 06, 2021, 10:11:26 pm

Just say'n for clarity:
"BYBRE has been made as a new global brand of components dedicated to two wheelers under 600cc for India. The products would be engineered in Italy, before being mass produced at company’s manufacturing facility of Brembo Brakes India Ltd. at Chakan in Pune. The good part is that the first product from this brand would be made exclusively for use by Bajaj Auto Ltd. Bajaj would use Bybre on majorly bikes from KTM and a few high performance products from their own stables."
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #41 on: April 06, 2021, 10:16:56 pm

ByBre - an abbreviation of “By Brembo”   

What is the issue with placing a Brembo decal on a Brembo caliper?  ???  ::)

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/about/the-group-brands
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: April 06, 2021, 10:51:36 pm
I grew up with drum brakes, and never had an issue, but then I never was a "performance" rider, or even heard of track days.
I'd certainly be concerned if my brakes didn't work for any reason, but as a recreational rider, I really don't care what brand it is as long as they don't malfunction. Brembo or ByBrembo, OK by me, but I appreciate that RE was proactive on this. Just sayin'.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: April 06, 2021, 11:08:52 pm
ByBre - an abbreviation of “By Brembo”   

What is the issue with placing a Brembo decal on a Brembo caliper?  ???  ::)

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/about/the-group-brands

None that I can see, although having seen some of your work I'm a little surprised you're not going to polish them to a mirror finish.  ;) ;) ;)

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #44 on: April 06, 2021, 11:53:24 pm
Having gotten the letter offering the recall, I have declined.  I do not have salted roads where I live and I don't ride in inclement weather, anyway.  My brakes stop very well and I'm leaving well enough alone.  I'm 70 miles from the dealer and don't want to be bothered as I see no payoff in my circumstances.  Maybe I just like the ByBre logo on the calipers. 

I'll save the recall letter just in case.  Recalls for safety purposes do not have an expiration date in the USA.

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.