Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today?  (Read 289118 times)

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 09:41:43 pm
Laid it down on some ice riding it in for the brake recall on Friday. Mangled the rear brake paddle. Other than that, just a little scuffing on the front brake lever, bar end and Stinger exhaust.

I bent the spring hook for the exhaust back into position, loosened all the hardware, realigned the pipes and attached a new spring. The service center bent the foot pedal back into usable position and corrected the alignment.

I've ordered the TEC foot controls kit to replace the "fixed" pedal and adjust the foot placement. I'll try to take and post pics of that when I do the work.

Details on the accident - after weeks of warm spring weather, I had my service recall scheduled for 9 am Friday. Overnight temperatures dropped to 25 or so. I geared up for the cold, but as it was all dry out, didn't think much past that. As I was riding in, traffic in front of me slowed and I saw the wet road and cars moving around a smallish pothole. I just didn't factor in that wet in these temperatures meant ice. As I said, it had been weeks since temperatures were below freezing. I rolled into the ice slowing behind the traffic with the clutch pulled. As traffic picked up, I eased off the clutch and rear end spun right around dumping me onto the pavement. Why the entire road was sprayed down overnight in freezing cold? No clue. I could have avoided it by recognizing the water as ice and feathering the clutch to cover the patch, but it just registered to me was water. 100% my fault. The gear did its job and my body was unharmed. Got the bike up and rode it the rest of the way in. Thankful to have a solid bike without the plastics. Dusted off and all seems well with the motorcycle.

Bugger. Good outcome that you and the bike are ok...

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 04:45:17 pm
Did a bar end mirror today; cleans up the look quite a bit.

For some reason the right side mirror loosens by twisting to the right (clockwise.)  No idea why--hope i can save someone some frustration on that one.  Otherwise easy peasy.

Who made the rubber for the turn signal stalks?  The things droop out to the side like limp schlongs.
The left/right threads are so that the mirrors will turn easily if they bump a pedestrian. Originally used by Yamaha and adopted by some other manufacturers.

I wouldn't have minded the stock turn signals if not for the sad droop.  They were the first change I made to my bike.

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 05:12:03 pm
While it is new helmet day.... I decided to add the trim around the gas tank as of have seen some of you do. Very inexpensive and super easy to do. I think it gives it more of a finished look. If you are in San Diego or anywhere in California, let me know and I could send a forum member the remainder.
2019 RE Continental GT 650 - Ice Queen

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 06:42:58 pm
While it is new helmet day.... I decided to add the trim around the gas tank as of have seen some of you do. Very inexpensive and super easy to do. I think it gives it more of a finished look. If you are in San Diego or anywhere in California, let me know and I could send a forum member the remainder.

Okay, now THAT'S a nice little touch.
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 07:07:51 pm

What product is that?
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 07:29:23 pm
Brake recall done!

Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
  • I like to move it move it.
Reply #22 on: April 07, 2021, 07:56:14 pm
NICE Brakes?  Are those Bybre's?  I can't tell.....

Thanks for the link; may have to do that tank finishing strip myself.
Past Bikes: Ducati, Kawasaki's, Triumph's  Current: 2020 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 07, 2021, 07:58:22 pm
It comes in black, white, grey.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JMM66HB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, in your pic it doesn't look like you slipped it over the sharp edge of the tank. How did you attach it? Or am I wrong? I like the look, and it's cheap, I'm ready to order it just curious on how you attached it.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #24 on: April 07, 2021, 08:33:11 pm
So, in your pic it doesn't look like you slipped it over the sharp edge of the tank. How did you attach it? Or am I wrong? I like the look, and it's cheap, I'm ready to order it just curious on how you attached it.

It is... it is just that the seam in our tanks is around 14.34 mm and that rubber trim is only 1/4" (6.35 mm)
.  So unless you find a taller one, 8 mm of the seam will still be exposed.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:52:06 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 07, 2021, 08:36:16 pm
It is... it is just that the seam in our tanks is around 14.34 mm and that rubber trim is only 1/4" (6.25 mm)

Ah, got it. Still looks pretty cool. Ordered. It'll be here today so I'll have something to do tonight while the rain falls.... thanks for the link and info!

Bibbage

• Bulleteer
  • England
Reply #26 on: April 07, 2021, 08:57:02 pm

Do you have a link to the product you used, looks great!  Sorry just spotted the Amazon link!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 09:00:30 pm by Bibbage »
Interceptor 650 (Baker Express)
Triumph Speed Twin 5TA (1966)
Honda NC750X

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #27 on: April 07, 2021, 09:21:42 pm
It is... it is just that the seam in our tanks is around 14.34 mm and that rubber trim is only 1/4" (6.35 mm)
.  So unless you find a taller one, 8 mm of the seam will still be exposed.

Thank you for providing that clarification. I would also recommend those who purchase to try and get the larger size to cover the entire gap as a whole. Yes, the link I provided works, but I would probably just go wider to make it look ever more of a "finished" result.

Dacvulcan

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: April 07, 2021, 09:53:56 pm
I took a quick ride and tried out my GoPro. It was attached to the chin bar on my helmet which created to much wind noise. I bought a chest harness to mount the camera and will try it out on the next ride.
Northern Virginia USA
2020 INT650 Glitter & Dust

Previous bikes: Kawasaki Vulcan 2000, 1500 Vulcan Classic, ZG1000 Concours, ZG1200 Voyager, KZ1000 Shaft, KZ750M Twin, KZ750E Four; Honda XL600R. XL350, CB550F, SL350, CL350, 305 Super Hawk

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 08, 2021, 02:06:49 am
Followed BlackIce's example and added trim to the seam of the tank. I like it. And, actually, the trim covered more of the seam than I thought it would.