Author Topic: An Observtion.....Quiet Bikes and Loud Bikes  (Read 11296 times)

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #75 on: April 07, 2021, 05:37:43 pm
A little extra sound on just about any bike sounds nice to me. Not straight pipes of course, but a Harley with that "Flowmasters" or Steve McQueen "Bullit" sound is beautiful. Sorry, but "sewing machine" bikes just don't cut it for me.

And, I may be anecdotal(hate the word") but a little extra sound can alert a sleepy driver on a highway that you are next to him(oops non woke. I mean individual- shoot me)

I agree with this. Which is why I swapped out the stock mufflers. The new ones growl (and scream if you really make them), and it just sounds better than listening to the ticking of the engine that seems louder than the stock exhaust note.

I don't know everyone's ages here, but it seems that those against louder exhaust are 60-ish and over, and the younger crowd, such as myself (even at 45) are perfectly okay with, and even like, a little extra noise on their bikes.

We could make this REALLY interesting and turn it into a Boomer vs Gen-x/Millennial thing  ;D

That said, seriously, to each his own. It really shouldn't make any difference in how we enjoy riding our bikes, and if we're so easily miffed at the miscreants who rumble by on loud-ass Harleys or scream by on ear-splitting crotch rockets, maybe we should reconsider our willingness to be outside among society. Or, move someplace where THEY are NOT.
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: April 07, 2021, 05:41:40 pm
A little extra sound on just about any bike sounds nice to me. Not straight pipes of course, but a Harley with that "Flowmasters" or Steve McQueen "Bullit" sound is beautiful. Sorry, but "sewing machine" bikes just don't cut it for me.

And, I may be anecdotal(hate the word") but a little extra sound can alert a sleepy driver on a highway that you are next to him(oops non woke. I mean individual- shoot me)

I agree I love the sound of a "throaty" motorcycle or car. It's the drag pipe at 2 AM, or more often the open pipe metric cruiser that just sounds like a sixties straight pipe 305 Honda that annoys me.

agagliardi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #77 on: April 07, 2021, 07:28:44 pm
Hey Sand squid, I'm 65, young man!
1988 Super Magna(Disabled), 2000 Harley Softail, 2004 Hayabusa, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor, 2004 Corvette, 2019 Indian scout

agagliardi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #78 on: April 07, 2021, 07:34:10 pm
Oh, and MarkZ
If I can get upstate it will be a Sunday 8am at your diner

And all you fellow locals, shoot a personal message if you're heading that way over there, or be square
1988 Super Magna(Disabled), 2000 Harley Softail, 2004 Hayabusa, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor, 2004 Corvette, 2019 Indian scout

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #79 on: April 07, 2021, 07:54:41 pm
Hey Sand squid, I'm 65, young man!

welp. Blew that theory out of the water!
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: April 07, 2021, 09:11:58 pm
Oh, and MarkZ
If I can get upstate it will be a Sunday 8am at your diner

And all you fellow locals, shoot a personal message if you're heading that way over there, or be square

This Sunday they're predicting rain, so I'll most likely drive over, but if the forecast changes for the better, breakfast at 8, and a ride afterward. That being said I'm there every Sunday and all are welcome. A PM before hand is a good idea, just in case I decide to go fishing or something.  ;) But anyone that sees this is welcome, no matter what they ride.

Effektor

• Bulleteer
Reply #81 on: April 07, 2021, 10:38:05 pm
I agree with this. Which is why I swapped out the stock mufflers. The new ones growl (and scream if you really make them), and it just sounds better than listening to the ticking of the engine that seems louder than the stock exhaust note.

I don't know everyone's ages here, but it seems that those against louder exhaust are 60-ish and over, and the younger crowd, such as myself (even at 45) are perfectly okay with, and even like, a little extra noise on their bikes.

We could make this REALLY interesting and turn it into a Boomer vs Gen-x/Millennial thing  ;D

That said, seriously, to each his own. It really shouldn't make any difference in how we enjoy riding our bikes, and if we're so easily miffed at the miscreants who rumble by on loud-ass Harleys or scream by on ear-splitting crotch rockets, maybe we should reconsider our willingness to be outside among society. Or, move someplace where THEY are NOT.

46 here and put me into the I like a little extra noise camp. Most aftermarket exhausts aren't that loud at lower RPM's and throttle openings anyway. More importantly, even if they're not whisper quiet, they're at least reasonably quiet and don't sound terrible like the stock exhaust. As one friend described my stock RE exhaust "It sounds like a nursing home resident gently shitting into his depends." :o

On today's ride the only intentionally loud vehicles were a Mustang, a Hellcat, and an Audi RS7. I wasn't mad at any of them.  ;D

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: April 07, 2021, 11:28:19 pm
I'm 67 and don't mind a subtle growl, and to be honest I get a real kick out of the little urchins that go past my house every day on their MX bikes  as they head into the woods. What I dislike is an open pipe on any bike that's needlessly loud, just for the sake of being loud.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: April 07, 2021, 11:32:30 pm
Just for the sake of being loud. Most of the air cooled bikes are strangled by the exhaust.
I like the exhaust as much open as it is necessary, to optimize airflow.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: April 07, 2021, 11:55:25 pm
Just for the sake of being loud. Most of the air cooled bikes are strangled by the exhaust.
I like the exhaust as much open as it is necessary, to optimize airflow.

I'm guessing you live in Germany, yes? I thought they were very strict about modifications over there. In Connecticut there is no motor vehicle inspection so the cops can't pull you over just because they think the pipes are too loud. However if they pull you over for some violation, speeding for instance or running a red light they have the authority to check your bike (or car) for "equipment violations." If the mufflers or pipes don't have the OEM certification stamp on them they can right write you a hefty ticket, and require you to appear in court with proof that the OEM pipes or ones that meet OEM noise standards have been installed.  In the real world they usually don't make it an issue unless you piss them off.  But in New York a few years back, where they do have yearly inspections they stopped over 300 bikes one Sunday and every one that didn't have an OEM stamp on their pipe got a hefty ticket.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #85 on: April 08, 2021, 12:12:17 am
 But in New York a few years back, where they do have yearly inspections they stopped over 300 bikes one Sunday and every one that didn't have an OEM stamp on their pipe got a hefty ticket.
[/quote]

That's cuz they from the gub'mint and they here to help.

In the early 70's the California Highway Patrol set up random vehicle inspections in some pretty unlikely places.  Coming back from a race meet at Willow Springs in my old Dodge panel truck I was stopped in one.  They looked at EVERY darned thing on my truck, wrote me a list of violations and then the somewhat overzealous inspector wanted me to unload my race bike for inspection. I shrugged my shoulders and started to comply when the OIC came over, eyed my Ducati, turned to the inspector and said "you're kidding, right?"  Then he said "sorry 'bout that, have a nice day."

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: April 08, 2021, 12:23:54 am
But in New York a few years back, where they do have yearly inspections they stopped over 300 bikes one Sunday and every one that didn't have an OEM stamp on their pipe got a hefty ticket.

That's cuz they from the gub'mint and they here to help.

In the early 70's the California Highway Patrol set up random vehicle inspections in some pretty unlikely places.  Coming back from a race meet at Willow Springs in my old Dodge panel truck I was stopped in one.  They looked at EVERY darned thing on my truck, wrote me a list of violations and then the somewhat overzealous inspector wanted me to unload my race bike for inspection. I shrugged my shoulders and started to comply when the OIC came over, eyed my Ducati, turned to the inspector and said "you're kidding, right?"  Then he said "sorry 'bout that, have a nice day."

I wanted to ask Viczena how they dealt with non-OEM pipes over there, but I'm having issues with text wrap. Cops can be arbitrary SOBs when they want to be. Around here most of them are pretty good guys, and know when to back off, but some days it's like they turned the asshole knob up to 11. I've learned to just shine them on when they act like that and hope for the best. I once got stopped by the border patrol down in Arizona and they made me unload my saddle bags. I asked them what they were looking for and when they told me illegal's I almost fell over. The guy I was with asked them if they thought we were smuggling hobbits, which went over like a fart in church.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: April 08, 2021, 08:44:36 am
Yes, the regulations in germany are strict, but not evil. As long as you have the EU markings on your exhaust and didnt remove your dbKiller, you are normally safe. Same with exhaust valves.

It is still possible to get a good flowing exhaust on your bike. But if the cops already hear you from miles away, your chances are not good.

And exhausts without EU marking are a no go. The cops can be as dumb as a wet fart, but they all know exactly where to look for the marking. Exhaust, light, mirrors.

If they find the markings, you are normally good to go.

Interestingly most of the Harley exhausts dont have the EU marking, but are still legal. The cops know that, so the chances are good that you can pass with a OEM lookalike exhaust.

And if you got a real exotic dancer, you can do whatever you want.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 08:56:17 am by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #88 on: April 08, 2021, 03:39:03 pm
Yes, the regulations in germany are strict, but not evil. As long as you have the EU markings on your exhaust and didnt remove your dbKiller, you are normally safe. Same with exhaust valves.

It is still possible to get a good flowing exhaust on your bike. But if the cops already hear you from miles away, your chances are not good.

And exhausts without EU marking are a no go. The cops can be as dumb as a wet fart, but they all know exactly where to look for the marking. Exhaust, light, mirrors.

If they find the markings, you are normally good to go.

Interestingly most of the Harley exhausts dont have the EU marking, but are still legal. The cops know that, so the chances are good that you can pass with a OEM lookalike exhaust.

And if you got a real exotic dancer, you can do whatever you want.
Where exactly is the EU stamp on the 650 OEM silencer?
Have you considered heavily modifying your stock exhaust with a Helmholtz tube(s)?
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: April 08, 2021, 03:46:24 pm
I dont know. My Trials 500 OEM silencer had this markings.
www.enfieldtech.de