Author Topic: Hello from San Diego California - Continental GT 650  (Read 5961 times)

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #30 on: April 03, 2021, 04:49:05 am
Those mods are nice to have but just kinda like nuts on a banana split.

:o

Yes, I am happy I did not spend any money on those upgrades as well.
2019 RE Continental GT 650 - Ice Queen

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #31 on: April 05, 2021, 04:15:55 pm
That last image is a part of the BoosterPlug. It is the air temperature sensor.
A fair number of folks locate the temp sensor there because it is convenient. But it is not the best location because it is in the engine heat path. It is recommended that it gets placed as near to the front and in ambient air. After all that is the goal.
Attached is where I mounted mine. So the next time you have the tank off ... or if you want the full value reroute the cable and send it just under the rear tank perch up toward the front.

@NVDucati - Done, but now that I see yours... I wonder if I should try and pull the cable a bit more forward?

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 04:39:17 pm
@NVDucati - Done, but now that I see yours... I wonder if I should try and pull the cable a bit more forward?

Naw, I think any gain from the location you now have would be fractional. You have it out of the oven area.
I think you will benefit from what you have done, just fine. A couple of years ago, on another forum, I asked a half dozen folks who complained of feeling no difference where they mounted the sensor. All of them told me it was behind the engine. 4 of them eventually wrote back that they had moved it and now it works. That is a very high score on the "Forum Pride Scale"  ;).
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #33 on: April 07, 2021, 05:23:10 pm
Naw, I think any gain from the location you now have would be fractional. You have it out of the oven area.
I think you will benefit from what you have done, just fine. A couple of years ago, on another forum, I asked a half dozen folks who complained of feeling no difference where they mounted the sensor. All of them told me it was behind the engine. 4 of them eventually wrote back that they had moved it and now it works. That is a very high score on the "Forum Pride Scale"  ;).

After going for a ride yesterday, I have to say there is a difference! You may have to adjust your story above from "4 of them eventually wrote back" to the NEW "5 of them eventually wrote back".

COUNT ME IN!  8)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #34 on: April 07, 2021, 06:00:38 pm
After going for a ride yesterday, I have to say there is a difference! You may have to adjust your story above from "4 of them eventually wrote back" to the NEW "5 of them eventually wrote back".

COUNT ME IN!  8)
Thanks for the confirmation, BlackIce. Nice, huh.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #35 on: April 09, 2021, 03:26:55 am
BlackIce:  I'm sure you're no stranger to my favorite San Diego County ride, when I lived in Oceanside:  Hwy 94 to Campo than up 79 (?) over Mount Laguna and down 78 through Julian and Ramona and in your case back on Wildcat Canyon road to 67 and back to San Diego. 

Your enthusiasm for your ContiGT will only increase over time.  Mine is an all black Interceptor.  I'll be out on it tomorrow in the Texas Hill Country, which offers more options than SD County, but please don't ask me about our Summer weather compared to yours!

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #36 on: April 09, 2021, 03:33:41 pm
BlackIce:  I'm sure you're no stranger to my favorite San Diego County ride, when I lived in Oceanside:  Hwy 94 to Campo than up 79 (?) over Mount Laguna and down 78 through Julian and Ramona and in your case back on Wildcat Canyon road to 67 and back to San Diego. 

Your enthusiasm for your ContiGT will only increase over time.  Mine is an all black Interceptor.  I'll be out on it tomorrow in the Texas Hill Country, which offers more options than SD County, but please don't ask me about our Summer weather compared to yours!

Ralph

Yes, extremely familiar with the backroads of San Diego! I am loving the motorcycle, but have not had a lot of time on it. Will go for a ride today for lunch with a friend and then on Sunday go through the roads you just mentioned.

This next statement feels like an AA meeting...
I have been watching every single type of video of Royal Enfield and 650's, even one about the manufacturing. Have bookmarked a ton of websites I have found with goodies and my list for upgrades grows, but after this weekend, I will have a better idea of the ones I really want first.

Will post a pic of the ride soon.