Author Topic: Classic 350 to a Bobber  (Read 160 times)

TheRealFawxd

• Scooter
on: March 29, 2021, 08:07:06 pm
Hello guys,
My first post here. Really excited to learn and grow with you all. I own a 2015 Royal Enfield Classic 350 here in Bangalore, India. And I have made up my mind to turn it into a kickass bobber of my own design. My first challenge arises with the front end of the motor cycle.
I would like to get rid of the stock head lamp assembly and go for a clean look like the Royal Enfield Thunderbird. To achieve this I have thought up of simply adding the top yoke of a Royal Enfield Thunderbird, "Part number 594195/A", (a link for reference: https://www.thesparescompany.com/bike/royal-enfield/body/headlamp-casing/top-yoke.html ).
Now my concern is if this will actually work. Since this is my first build I have little to no knowledge about the parts ecosystem of Royal Enfield. I have some experience in getting my hand dirty and maintaining my bike.
Can someone please help me out with what I need to do to achieve this?
Thankyou!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 09:36:08 pm
The Thunderbird top yoke comes int two varieties, plain bored where the fork tops just slide in, and threaded where to tops of the fork stanchions screw in, these were on the earlier pre 2008(?) models, so I THINK you will need one for plain top forks.

I don't know if it's the same with the UCE Thunderbirds, but on the older AVL Thunderbirds you would also need the corresponding bottom yoke/steering stem, the latter is longer and comes with two chrome large chrome nuts at the top, a sleeved nut for tightening the steering head bearings to the correct value and a domed lock-nut (there's no pinch bolt on the top yokes for these).

Whatever instruments and headlamp you fit, please try and make a neat job of it, I've seen some ghastly efforts.  :o

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

TheRealFawxd

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 09:01:20 am
Thankyou very much for your insight!
By what I understood from you reply don't you think its a better option to change the front forks entirely?
I could go for good quality upside down forks, like a wp suspension kit or something similar. But ill have to increase my budget to incorporate it into the build.
your thoughts on this?
And dont worry I dont intend to half ass this build. ill do a good job. :)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 10:12:53 am
If you can use compatible RE fork parts it will be simpler and cheaper. Other forks/yokes or triple trees can be used, but then you could need extra spacers adapters, new steering stops, etc.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

TheRealFawxd

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 11:42:33 am
I completely agree with you! Thankyou for your insight. Appreciate it.