Author Topic: Spark plug and HT lead.  (Read 3298 times)

Riffhead

• I'm only happy when I'm riding.
  • Scooter
  • It doesn't matter, we're all going to die anyway.
on: February 21, 2021, 06:57:03 pm
Hello everyone, any recommendations for a new spark plug on a 2019 Bullet B5? everything's standard. 20000kms on the clock. Running fine but just feel I should put a new one in preemptively. What about HT lead should I change that as well?

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 08:48:35 pm
A lot of folks here say the NGK BPR6ES is the best.  Mine fouls twice a year, but after cleaning is useable.

A few folks say they have had good luck with Champion plugs.  I got myself a couple of RN9YC.
and N11YC, which are hotter.  I always carry a spare plug with me, because a single cylinder engine is not very tolerant of ignition issues when cold starting.  My riding pattern tends to foul my plug every 6 months or so, only 20 minutes of riding at a time, low speeds, lots of idling at traffic lights, so I'm going to a hotter plug for general use, and I'll switch to a colder plug for the few times a year where I'm riding at higher speeds on open roads.

If your machine has the a sparkplug cap that takes the small diameter, threaded post, you have to pay attention to whether the plugs you buy have rounded nuts that screw off to reveal the threaded post, or don't.

I had a factory cap failure, when arcing occurred where the cap screws into the ignition wire.  It hadn't been screwed in all the way at the factory and the resulting arcing opened the resistor inside the cap, killing spark.  So, I'd recommend making sure that the cap is screwed on tight, on the wire, at minimum. 

If you decide to upgrade the wires, or the caps, you can.  Both can be improved on.  You'll want to preserve some resistance in the secondary.  The factory has 5K ohms in the cap, and the spark plug is also a resistor type, I think that's 5K ohms also.  I'm pretty sure you can get away with resistance in one or the other, but having no resistance in the system is said to possibly cause EMI interference with the EFI system.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 07:26:48 pm
Hi Riffhead - The iridium will last longer and they give a good spark. I use the Nippon Denso IW20.
  I like the NGK zero resistance caps. The stock coil is weak. As we are testing the ACE Clubman Kit and the Fireball heads, I'm using a DynaTek set up on my Bullet. Since the Fireball can use two plugs, the dual coils are used.
  With this set up, you won't worry about getting a big fat spark.
Pictured are the stock and the Dyna compared. 
The Dyna can be mounted up in the head stock area of the frame, where the stock coil bolted in.
That's the Dyna coils, in pairs, zero resistance cables and NGK caps.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 05:00:09 pm
I use the Nippon Denso IW20.
I like the NGK zero resistance caps.
The ND IW20 plug has a 5K internal resistance.  You think this setup is the same as running a 5K NGK cap plus a zero resistance plug, or does it matter where in the chain the resistance is located?

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 10:55:10 am
If you have a resistor cap, don't use a resistor plug(which is my preferred option) if you have resistor plugs, don't use a resistor cap....simples  ;D
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 07:46:25 pm
If you have a resistor cap, don't use a resistor plug(which is my preferred option) if you have resistor plugs, don't use a resistor cap....simples  ;D
It does seem simple.  One wonders why the UCE bikes arrive from the factory with BOTH?  Belt and suspenders?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 09:12:22 pm
It does seem simple.  One wonders why the UCE bikes arrive from the factory with BOTH?  Belt and suspenders?
  Good question! The stock cap looks like a short waiting to happen. The good news is that NGK zero ohm caps are available.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 12:36:08 am
I use iridium or brisk when l have been flush, with iridium you have a better chance of starting with low battery, on the subject of leads test them on a meter and inspect them they are ok or not ok l have had leads on bikes for over ten years.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 04:55:16 am
  Good question! The stock cap looks like a short waiting to happen. The good news is that NGK zero ohm caps are available.
My stock cap became a LONG, burned out internally when it started arcing at the connection to the wire because some assembly person saved themselves a couple of wrist twists.  Zero Ohm caps does sound good, because it seems like resistor plugs are a lot more common these days than non-resistive.

On the other hand, I could see some future owner sticking a zero ohm plug in there and having a zero resistance secondary.  Do you guys think that the EMF fields that would result could really scramble the ECU like we've been warned?  I was wanting to install a "blinky", but I've held off, because of the warnings. 
https://bikerpartsuperstore.com/electrical-components/spark-plug-wires/v-twin-plug-wires/lightning-bug-blue-spark-plug-wire-boot-for-harley-big-twins-xl
These things were a lot of fun for not much money.

Riffhead

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 06:43:48 pm
Ok so what does a resistor cap look like as opposed to a non resistor cap?? ( Yes, I know nothing) :-\

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 07:06:57 pm
Ok so what does a resistor cap look like as opposed to a non resistor cap?? ( Yes, I know nothing) :-\
I believe all the factory caps, which have the silver metal shield, have internal 5K resistors.

The molded plastic NGK caps, which you should be able to find for around $5 a piece, look identical for resistor and no-resistor versions, but the number printed on the box will be different.  Also the resistance through the cap, measured with a DMM or VOM meter, will be different.  Here's some NGK info on their caps:
https://www.ngksparkplugs.co.za/products/ngk-resistor-caps/

Riffhead

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 07:20:50 pm
Thanks for the link axeman88. That is some interesting info on the NGK's.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 07:34:13 pm
I went with the LB05F when my factory cap failed, because that's what my local shop had, but it fits nicely.

Riffhead

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 03:21:40 pm
I went with the LB05F when my factory cap failed, because that's what my local shop had, but it fits nicely.
So that is a resistor cap if I have understood correctly? With a resistance of 5 ohms. If I use an NGK BPR6EIX plug, I need the NGK zero resistance cap LBF. Because the R in BPR6EIX stands for resistance. And it's not good to run resistance in the plug and the cap. Would this be right?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 03:57:20 pm
The Nippon Denso iridium is a resistor plug. You should check the NGK site to see if their plug is a resistor as well.