Author Topic: ABS reprogram  (Read 6558 times)

JPE

• Scooter
on: February 15, 2021, 05:21:57 pm
Just curious having read the manual prior to a brake fluid change.

The manual states that if brake hoses are changed  the ABS needs to be ‘reprogrammed’/ calibrated’  A bit more digging and I have found a post that suggests that this needs doing if the fluid is changed as well.

The manual doesn’t say how to reprogram the ABS unit, but a post on here suggests it is done via an OBD reader that is specific to the Enfield.

Has anyone done this, is it necessary, is there a way of doing it without purchasing an OBD reader or going to a main dealer?

Cheers.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 06:10:11 pm
I have the OBD device a dealer has and i did it myself. You got no other option than to go to your dealer. He can do the recalibration of the ABS within minutes.

https://www.g-homeserver.com/forum/royal-enfield-500-trials/381-obd-diagnoseger%C3%A4t-fehlercodes
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

JPE

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 06:18:42 pm
Thanks - not very good at German, which model do you have?

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

JPE

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 06:20:59 pm
Thanks !

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 01:47:24 am
I have an intercepter 650 after scanning numerous books l established this has to be done by the main dealer, replacing any component on the system will require a reset, seems Enfeild are using similar tech to BMW please quote me if l am wrong.

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 11:52:06 pm
I've just seen a similar topic in the 350 forum.
What happens if the ABS isn't connected/recalibrated?
Does the brake not work or seize?
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 07:52:51 am
Depends. If you just shut it off by cutting the power, the Brake will work as usual. If it works and isnt recalibrated, it can lead to blocking wheels  or loss of brake presure. Depending on what part of the ABS will fail.
www.enfieldtech.de

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 08:59:45 am
Depends. If you just shut it off by cutting the power, the Brake will work as usual.
That's what I thought. Put it in the bin and learn how to ride.
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 10:28:20 am
ABS is one of the most useful inventions for motorcycles. If your front brake blocks, you have between .2 and .5 s to reopen it. Else you crash.

Shure you can train it. But i have seen numerous crashs by professional racers who failed to be able to do that. Because their attention was bound by something else.
www.enfieldtech.de

muezler

• Scooter
  • Austria - Styria
Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 10:56:35 am
TBH I dont see the reason why a ABS module needs a reset after a simple fluid change.
None of its work parameters and sensor data is different before and after the change.
All the module knows is that a hand pump feeds fluid from a reservoir to a piston, and as soon at it detects no movement from the ABS hub it starts pulsing.
For the module itself it does not matter if the reservoir is a view milliliter or hundred of liters as long as something gets pumped.
And during the operation with the ignition key off it does not know anything is going on at all.

Maybe when you do a complete brake line change to a different length of line then the pulse length / intensity might change....maybe

Besides testing the function of the pulse actuators I dont see a reason why someone has to hook up a ODB for a fluid change.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 10:59:48 am
I have only ridden one bike with ABS  and in 20,000 miles of riding, never seen it activate, its just another toy and more electronics to go wrong, actually, like cars makes bad riders/drivers who then rely on these gismos to stop them in normal driving. Hence why people ride or drive to fast for the situation.
I like to ride in control, not be controlled by a robot.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 11:24:16 am
Try to control, when a car changes lane into yours in  front of you and immediately starts braking.
www.enfieldtech.de

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 01:03:55 pm
Try to control, when a car changes lane into yours in  front of you and immediately starts braking.
yes ....and??
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 01:25:35 pm
You have to brake immediately to avoid a crash. The front brake stalls, bike falls and you and your bike slide over the insterstate with 80mph.  An ABS would have avoided exact this.
www.enfieldtech.de