Author Topic: Wind noise  (Read 544 times)

oldphart

• Bulleteer
on: January 03, 2021, 11:18:28 am
The Himalayan has a tall, squarish, upright screen. I've known from day one that I get a lot of turbulence around my helmet which makes things a tad noisy. I wear earplugs for open road trips but was starting to feel I should wear them around the city as well. Not good. Then I removed the screen altogether - man, the difference was astounding.

This little video compares the two.

https://streamable.com/hvz4tj

I still wear ear plugs if I'm going into 80km/hr + territory. Meanwhile, I've ordered a new screen.
Grandpa Slow

2019 Himalayan.

Toni59

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 12:44:54 pm
Hello Oldphart,

Thank for the video, impressive!

I made a similar expierience, but tried the other way round:

With the original wind shield I have massive turbulences around the head - quite annoying.

I added a wind shield extension and in the nearly upright position of it it is much better now.

What I do not know so far is, how the original wind shield can cope with the additional weight, forces and vibrations of the added shield...

Hitchcock also offers a lower and a higher version as far as I know.

The turbulence and wind noise seem to depend on many factors:
The stature and size of the rider and the helmet,  not to forget Motorcycle, windshield and speed...

Regards

Toni

Morgan60

• Bulleteer
  • NW USA
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 01:43:37 pm
The Himalayan has a tall, squarish, upright screen. I've known from day one that I get a lot of turbulence around my helmet which makes things a tad noisy. I wear earplugs for open road trips but was starting to feel I should wear them around the city as well. Not good. Then I removed the screen altogether - man, the difference was astounding.

This little video compares the two.

https://streamable.com/hvz4t

Did you unjust the windscreen to the next position?

I still wear ear plugs if I'm going into 80km/hr + territory. Meanwhile, I've ordered a new screen.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2019 650 Continental GT Ice Queen or white
2020 Trials 500 Green and Chrome

oldphart

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 06:35:47 am
Did you unjust the windscreen to the next position?

I've got Barkbusters fitted so the screen is in the forward position. To be honest, when it was in the rearwards position, it was just as bad.
Grandpa Slow

2019 Himalayan.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 08:49:25 pm
Don't know if the windscreen angle on Himalayans is adjustable, but I've found that a few degrees of difference in angle of incidence can make a world of difference in the handling of the machine.

Shape, size and cycle frequency of vortexes shed from surfaces is a complex phenomenon, but affects all sorts of things, including the overall drag and the tendency of the machine to exhibit speed wobble.

oldphart

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 05:51:13 am
Don't know if the windscreen angle on Himalayans is adjustable, but I've found that a few degrees of difference in angle of incidence can make a world of difference in the handling of the machine.

Shape, size and cycle frequency of vortexes shed from surfaces is a complex phenomenon, but affects all sorts of things, including the overall drag and the tendency of the machine to exhibit speed wobble.

You have a choice of two positions but if you have any hand protection such as Barkbusters, you have to have it in the forward (more upright) position.
Grandpa Slow

2019 Himalayan.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 12:18:51 pm
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

oldphart

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 06:41:34 am
If you add one of these it makes a huge difference in noise and buffeting.
9fingers

https://www.amazon.com/Motoparty-Adjustable-Windshield-Windscreen-windscreen/dp/B07M7YBB3N/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+windshield+deflector&qid=1612440975&sr=8-4

I tried one of them, made no difference at all. Gave it to a mate, it made no difference for him. He gave it to someone else who seems to like it. Know another bloke who swears by it. I think it depends on your size to a large extent.
Grandpa Slow

2019 Himalayan.

Ruuntje

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 10:00:38 pm
I also had issues with turbulence and wind noise with the stock windshield. Being a new rider I just didn't know any better.
I stood up on the motorway and realised what an incredible difference it was without, so I took it off while I waited for the short Hitchcock windshield which arrived last week.
Just had a short ride on a very windy day after I installed it, with wind noise coming from all sides at all times, but it looks great, I must admit. I'll get a better impression of noise tomorrow. It's an outdoorsy activity anyway riding a motorbike so I don't expect silence and no wind, but the difference between with or without windshield is huge. For me.