Author Topic: Bullet 350x engine shut off when riding  (Read 393 times)

pepper_n_vanilla

• Scooter
on: December 30, 2020, 05:20:00 pm
I own a Bullet 350x (BS4 Carburetor) and from the time since I bought this machine I have been experiencing this problem. The engine stalls for fuel like there is not enough fuel entering the combustion chamber and shuts off while riding. This has happened several times for me when both the fuel tap is in Main (ON state) or reserve state. I have even tried to park the vehicle and opened the fuel tank cap and let air circulate, but still no help again the engine stalls like it has no fuel. This happens when the bike is being ridden. I have had the royal enfield technician clean the carb and the fuel tank and petcock but still same issue exists and checked the spark plugs too. Please post your suggestions.

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 07:49:59 pm
There's not many things that would cause fuel starvation. Have you disconnected the fuel line from the carb & tried draining the tank into a container, confirming there is good flow?

A pinched or twisted fuel hose would restrict flow, possibly causing the starvation.

Is the air cleaner clean, and is plenty of air getting to the carb? Also, is the choke returning fully home & staying in the "off" position?

From working with carburettor fuelled vehicles for some years, many "carb issues" are not actually carburettor related.

You say this issue happens while you are riding; I take it it doesn't happen while on the centre stand ? The side stand cut-off switch has been the cause of problems for a few riders, with the side stand "bouncing" as the bike is ridden along uneven surfaces, causing the engine to cut off.

2016 Classic 350

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 11:18:51 pm
IDK these 350s, but a check of the fuel filter? I've read tales of the paint inside the petrol tank separating and clogging lines / filters.

pepper_n_vanilla

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 05:21:50 am
There's not many things that would cause fuel starvation. Have you disconnected the fuel line from the carb & tried draining the tank into a container, confirming there is good flow?

A pinched or twisted fuel hose would restrict flow, possibly causing the starvation.

Is the air cleaner clean, and is plenty of air getting to the carb? Also, is the choke returning fully home & staying in the "off" position?

From working with carburettor fuelled vehicles for some years, many "carb issues" are not actually carburettor related.

You say this issue happens while you are riding; I take it it doesn't happen while on the centre stand ? The side stand cut-off switch has been the cause of problems for a few riders, with the side stand "bouncing" as the bike is ridden along uneven surfaces, causing the engine to cut off.

My vehicle does not have the side stand sensor so it should'nt be a problem. I will try draining the fuel from the fuel tank to see if there is some block at some point. Also the choke is in off position. I have never got into a situation to use it much but I have checked that too it is pushed down (off position). Thanks for your inputs relic. I will check and let you know the results.

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 08:48:14 am
Battery earth connection?

pepper_n_vanilla

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 05:36:42 pm
IDK these 350s, but a check of the fuel filter? I've read tales of the paint inside the petrol tank separating and clogging lines / filters.

Thanks, Ove. I will get the fuel filter checked.

pepper_n_vanilla

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 05:38:09 pm
Battery earth connection?

Would you mind explaining how I check if the battery is grounded?
Thanks

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 06:09:20 pm
Would you mind explaining how I check if the battery is grounded?
Thanks
Visual check. Do the connections both ends look well secured and not corroded, no damage to the cable / sheath. I think a damaged earth strap = higher electrical resistance, so you can also check with a voltmeter?  Should be 12.6-ish volts, ignition off, across the battery terminals. Much less than that, measured positive terminal to the other end of the earth strap, suggests a problem. Or wire up a 12v bulb, bright when connected across the terminals,  not so bright at the end of the earth strap.

tedheath

• Scooter
  • Ex Norton 750 Commando and Kawasaki Z900A4 dude.
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 02:12:35 am
I know you said you tried it with the cap open but how much fuel did you drain with the cap closed to see if it stops?
Try it with almost full tank with cap closed and cap open.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 02:16:30 am by tedheath »

dickim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 03:40:27 am
+1 on the gas cap, have a 1yr old quad that was dying after a few minutes running, checked tap, flow through tap, still failing, pulled carb bottom and cleaned inc float.....turned tap on and noticed after a good few seconds flow slowed considerably......opened filler 1/4 turn and you could hear the vacuum and petrol pissed out! Happy (But frustrated) Chappy....."anti rollover" rubber with spring ball-bearing had failed. Ripped the sucker out and ALL GOOD SINCE👍
Opposite way, fitted an alloy rocker cover to my MGA and generated an oil leak despite having a "breather cap" so add a vent, rocker cover to carb as per original and now oil TIGHT (well as tight as a 56 british car ever will be🤣🤣)