Author Topic: TAPER ROLLER BEARING CONVERSION CLASSIC 500  (Read 294 times)

skysurfer

• Neophyte
on: December 18, 2020, 07:58:40 pm
Hello@all,

i would like to install tapered roller bearings for the steering head bearing on my classic 500 C5 built in 2010. I have found a coversion kit from hitchkocks, but it costs just 200 € with shipping and that is an extremely sporty price for 2 bearings and 3 manufactured turned parts. Do any of you already use the tapered roller bearings on your classic 500 and if so, how did you do that?  I could create the necessary parts myself on the lathe or milling machine, an existing drawing would of course be very helpful. And if more is needed, i could put on a small series of them.

best regards
Jimmy

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Laissez le bon temps rouler! Fresno, CA
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 03:34:55 am
Is THIS what you are trying to avoid buying from Hitchcocks? About $200 to your door is pretty cheap. Building stuff like this is prime hobby territory IF you already have $10K - $30K worth of machine shop equipment and a supply of suitable material stock. $200 for steering parts that will fit, are are proven to work and probably won't kill you seems very reasonable to me. Grumbern does stuff like this all the time for himself, but mostly for bits that are either unobtainable or when he just feels inspired to improve on them. And then there is also the liability issue to consider when making important-to-safety spec parts for others. We always enjoy a good "How-To" series here, so fire up the machine shop and digital camera and let us know how you got on, eh?

PART No. 92596 ; £139.00
TAPER ROLLER BEARING CONVERSION (INDIAN MODELS - EXCEPT 535 CONTINENTAL GT)
UK made and designed to replace the standard headstock bearings on most of the Indian made models. They have been tested and proven on road and race bikes with great success. The bearing races have been specially modified so that they are a direct replacement with no machining necessary. Suitable for most Indian made models (including 2017on Euro4) EXCEPT the 535 Continental GT. NOT suitable for Redditch built models other than 1956-1957 Bullets with all welded frame.
A brace of 1999 Bullets: 1 Red Deluxe, 1 Green Standard. Also, 1 wee orphan 1956 Fire Arrow project.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 11:05:42 pm
Many of the old Brit bikes had cheap steal balls l always found they worked fine, tapered rollers won't make you a better rider, but servicing them will.