Author Topic: Sweden and California  (Read 77243 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #165 on: March 23, 2021, 04:15:15 pm
Answer the call in a foreign language, it's very entertaining to hear the sudden silence on the other end. If they call back in Spanish or German, start back in speaking English... ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #166 on: March 23, 2021, 07:19:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZiOgWmWhXs

Mr. Ratt King looks rather sensible to me, looks like he is having lot of fun those days.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #167 on: March 25, 2021, 03:18:43 am
Indian training for working in a call centre taking calls from Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #168 on: March 25, 2021, 09:29:03 pm
Indian training for working in a call centre taking calls from Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI

Glenn: What a superb tip! And what is more, there's whole SERIES of those wonderous things AND a lovely dark series of the formative penal colony years of Oz titled, "Bruce" besides. It's all "Must-See TV", and you can count me among the subscribed. Thanks again, you balmy dongo!

Here's a link to their whole channel: https://youtube.com/c/HowToTalkAustralians
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #169 on: March 30, 2021, 01:17:19 am
The latest food product from California's laboratories according to this afternoon's TV news is plant-based egg and cheese. The four TV news personalities each ate a manufactured egg and cheese sandwich while reporting on the local news. They said that it tasted just like real egg and cheese - but apparently not chicken.   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #170 on: April 03, 2021, 02:41:03 pm
An opinion article in my newspaper yesterday detailed a poll financed by an immigrant advocacy organization that said that 58% of the residents of California not only welcome "undocumented" (as in entered illegally) immigrants into the state, but also want their taxes to fund free universal medical care for them. That could be really expensive for a state that had a projected budget last year of $65 billion in the hole, until being bailed out by the federal government, but is also proposing many more expensive social programs that do not seem to have a permanent funding source. Maybe the general public in this state believes that a debt doesn't have to be paid back or that the Great Utopian State of Kaifornia prints its own money, just like the Federal government does.  ::)

In a related opinion article on the same page it was mentioned that another nationwide poll found that the majority of Americans are not worried about running up federal deficits and believe that the Federal Reserve will keep interest rates down to 2% and that there is nothing wrong with printing money to cover our debts. I wonder how China feels about that?  ::)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #171 on: April 04, 2021, 01:47:11 am
And today it was announced that a law has been submitted to the California state legislature that would create a "single payer' health care system, where all working residents of the state would pay taxes to support universal health care for everyone in the state (I assume legal or otherwise). The estimated cost per year is $450 billion. Right now there appears to be no estimate how much taxes would have to be raised to fund the program and who would pay these taxes - individuals and/or businesses.   ??? Meanwhile, both large corporations and wealthy individuals are steadily moving out of the state to jurisdictions with lower taxes and fewer regulations.   :(  I wonder when California will build a wall along its border to keep its residents in the state to fund its expensive "progressive" programs?   ::)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 02:41:16 am by Richard230 »

nicholastanguma

• Bulleteer
  • Los Angeles, San Francisco
Reply #172 on: April 13, 2021, 12:47:08 pm
In general I find it better if Gretas keep building stuff like this than going into drugs for example or becoming just another leadership minion, the minor issue though is that if it doesn't become the greatest market success possible Gretas are going to cry to their mamas and they are going to lynch anyone whom they figure to be responsible for failing to sell this bike to every single soul on the planets surface, taking the "help" from the government too, trying to mandate it on everyone except themselves. As I had the fortune to witness several times. ;D

How is it a Swede is possessed of so much good sense, sir?  The more I read of your posts on this forum the more I am convinced you cannot possibly be an actual Swede, for as a conservative American I know for a fact the Swedes are a uniformly brainwashed species of creature with absolutely no grasp of moral decency or simple rational sense.

What's going on with you?

Or, perhaps I am actually WRONG about all the Swedes being worshippers of the young foolish freshfaced harpy Thunberg and her ilk?  Are there some Swedes that...dare I say it...dare I hope it...are not of the self brainwashed self righteous virtue signalling demonic persuasion?   ;)

nicholastanguma

• Bulleteer
Reply #173 on: April 13, 2021, 01:02:01 pm
And today it was announced that a law has been submitted to the California state legislature that would create a "single payer' health care system, where all working residents of the state would pay taxes to support universal health care for everyone in the state (I assume legal or otherwise). The estimated cost per year is $450 billion. Right now there appears to be no estimate how much taxes would have to be raised to fund the program and who would pay these taxes - individuals and/or businesses.   ??? Meanwhile, both large corporations and wealthy individuals are steadily moving out of the state to jurisdictions with lower taxes and fewer regulations.   :(  I wonder when California will build a wall along its border to keep its residents in the state to fund its expensive "progressive" programs?   ::)

Remember a few months ago when Nuissance Newsom had to make that PSA admitting California's renewable energy infrastructure was not sufficient to keep the state powered during the wildfires...this after the rolling brownouts had already made the situation utterly apparent to absolutely everyone, even the idiots in Hollywood?

And remember when a few weeks later he made another PSA stating he had signed an EO that California would be entirely free of internal combustion engine passenger and commercial vehicles by something like 2035, thereby forcing everyone to switch to electric transportation?

I suppose he just decided that by something like 2035 California's rolling brownouts will have become official state policy, just so everyone can have a half hour's worth of charge for their cars every night, lol.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #174 on: April 13, 2021, 02:21:22 pm

Remember a few months ago when Nuissance Newsom had to make that PSA admitting California's renewable energy infrastructure was not sufficient to keep the state powered during the wildfires...this after the rolling brownouts had already made the situation utterly apparent to absolutely everyone, even the idiots in Hollywood?

And remember when a few weeks later he made another PSA stating he had signed an EO that California would be entirely free of internal combustion engine passenger and commercial vehicles by something like 2035, thereby forcing everyone to switch to electric transportation?

I suppose he just decided that by something like 2035 California's rolling brownouts will have become official state policy, just so everyone can have a half hour's worth of charge for their cars every night, lol.

It is a good thing that Californians' memories about what their politicians say only lasts 24 hours.   ;)

I used to attend all of the Planning Commission meetings in the city that I worked for as part of my engineering division duties - just in case a commission member wanted to know why water flows down hill.  ;)  I was amazed that when the secretary of the commission would read the written minutes of the last meeting to the commission so that they could formally approve them that there would sometimes be a commission member who would object when he or she realized that something that he or she had said during the previous meeting was either wrong or politically incorrect. He or she would want the written minutes changed to reflect what he or she wished she or he had said and not what they actually said. I was impressed how history could be changed by someone who was keeping an eye on which way the political winds were blowing.   ::)

Of course, this is nothing new. Politicians and despots have been doing this sort of thing since the stone age and then rewriting the history books (or before the written word, verbal stores and songs) so that future generations would not know what had happened in the past that they didn't want them to know.   :(

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #175 on: April 13, 2021, 02:37:58 pm
My post above reminded me of a wonderful political story: During the late 1970's the members of the city council of the city that I worked for were all Italian-American local businessmen. They had hired an Italian-American architect to redesign the main street that went in front of City hall and where all of their businesses were located. This street was two lanes wide, with diagonal parking along each side (with parking meters, of course). The street had a slope of about 6%. The architect showed off his plan to convert the main drag into a canal with gondolas running up and down the street.  :o  The only issue with this design was there there were no locks shown on the plan and no source of water to fill the canal and no way to keep it filled. But architects typically don't care to worry about these sort of details.

The city council loved the idea and wanted to proceed with the plan. That was until the city engineer took each of them aside (you don't step on political toes in public) and explained that water only flowed downhill and the plan was not all that workable. Besides when visitors couldn't drive their cars downtown and park directly in front of their businesses, that would be a financial issue for them.  ;) So eventually a new architect with an engineer on their staff was hired to work on another plan. That one eventually fell apart also, this time due to construction practicalities. We ended up completing the construction drawings and putting the street improvement plans out to bid ourselves. It eventually was built, but a lot of money and time was wasted along the way.  ::)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #176 on: April 13, 2021, 03:25:58 pm
OK, so it's not Sweden or California, but rather takes place in Norway, but those with the HBO Max streaming service might enjoy an odd little series produced by HBO Europe rather cleverly titled, Beforeigners. The main concept is that individuals from the the Stone Age, Viking Era and 19th Century are being somehow mysteriously brought forward into the present time, just sort of turning up with a flash in the waters of Oslo Bay and elsewhere.

I'm no film critic or analyst, but I imagine there's some sort of a metaphor for the modern day refugee crisis at play here. One episode in particular is pretty amusing, in which they show a sort of orientation (read: indoctrination) class for a bunch of the newcomers led by ninnies touting the diversity and tolerance of the current culture with a helpful instructional film replete with gay weddings, smooching dudes, and a whole host of other woke bullshit you might rightfully expect would only baffle a room full of Vikings for whom a foe's blood would be a hair care product, or ardent Calvinists, for that matter.

I'm looking forward to its 2nd season, and so long as subtitles don't cause you to swallow your own tongue, you might enjoy it too. See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beforeigners for further details.

For those with Scandinavian language chops, I'd be curious to hear what they think of what I imagine must be the Old Norse purportedly being spoken in some scenes.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #177 on: April 13, 2021, 07:41:07 pm
and a whole host of other woke bullshit you might rightfully expect would only baffle a room full of Vikings for whom a foe's blood would be a hair care product, or ardent Calvinists, for that matter.

If I've got my church history correct, the reformation in Scandiwegia went mostly Lutheran, many of the reformees' 19th Century successors emigrated to places like Minnesooooota. I get the distinct impression that the folks who founded this place had been more used to fjords than prairies!

http://www.kongsvingerchurch.org/

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

nicholastanguma

• Bulleteer
Reply #178 on: April 13, 2021, 07:52:32 pm

I'm looking forward to its 2nd season,

Me, too!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #179 on: April 14, 2021, 06:52:22 am
Here's some good informative historical Swedish docudrama - get your aquavit, crispbread & kippers and settle in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emigrants_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Land
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.