Author Topic: Sweden and California  (Read 4960 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
ACE Motors - sales & administration

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Laissez le bon temps rouler! Fresno, CA
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 12:18:35 am
"At Rumble Motors, solving problems customers didn't know they had is a key focus. A prime example was adding engine noises to the bikes. This feature, unique to Rumble's bikes, not only increases safety but exemplifies a commitment to "Make Green Fun", demonstrating that quality alternatives to gas-guzzling transport can be both affordable and enjoyable."

Awesome - now I can take those playing cards I swiped from the Bellagio last year out of my spokes!  ;D
A brace of 1999 Bullets: 1 Red Deluxe, 1 Green Standard. Also, 1 wee orphan 1956 Fire Arrow project.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 12:22:01 am
Oh man...That topic is "Trigger Warning" words for Derottone! I dunno...He's got such a grudge against those Norsemen that it makes me wonder if he may have been trapped as a child in a cinema mop closet or something during some particularly long and dreary Bergman film festival.

I recently read something extremely curious about Swedes. Apparently, owing to some folkloric legends of yore, they are said to harbor an irrational fear of badgers. Since badgers are thought never to release their bite until they sense bone cracking, many Swedes wandering in the woods, as they are wont to do, will shove a bunch of those "Wasa" crispy bread things into their rubber boots to fool any marauding badgers they fear they may encounter with that satisfying "Crunch!" So, that's kind of "special", huh?

But just to cheer up Derottone, here's a cheerful and instructive short film that he can bookmark to mortify any Nordic types who may cross his path, like "Hey, Sven! Have a peek at this!": https://youtu.be/4r7wHMg5Yjg
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 12:54:54 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

(Legal enough to pass muster if they don't look too closely in Woodbridge, Virginia, where the buses don't run at night, holidays or weekends and I'm a contender for 'Village Idiot')

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 06:56:27 am
Awww - I think you're just badgering the boy... : ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA8pxzawUGM
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 07:06:34 am by AzCal Retred »
A brace of 1999 Bullets: 1 Red Deluxe, 1 Green Standard. Also, 1 wee orphan 1956 Fire Arrow project.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 09:01:46 am
In general I find it better if Gretas keep building stuff like this than going into drugs for example or becoming just another leadership minion, the minor issue though is that if it doesn't become the greatest market success possible Gretas are going to cry to their mamas and they are going to lynch anyone whom they figure to be responsible for failing to sell this bike to every single soul on the planets surface, taking the "help" from the government too, trying to mandate it on everyone except themselves. As I had the fortune to witness several times. ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 09:11:15 am by derottone »
"Proles and Animals are free"
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 01:35:27 pm
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
      The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
      The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
      Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
      And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
      The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
      And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
      The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
      He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
      Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
      He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 02:29:57 pm
"At Rumble Motors, solving problems customers didn't know they had is a key focus. A prime example was adding engine noises to the bikes. This feature, unique to Rumble's bikes, not only increases safety but exemplifies a commitment to "Make Green Fun", demonstrating that quality alternatives to gas-guzzling transport can be both affordable and enjoyable."

Awesome - now I can take those playing cards I swiped from the Bellagio last year out of my spokes!  ;D

Solving problems customers didn't know they had.  ;)

I don't wan't anyone to solve the problems I don't know I have, because they would need to create the problem for me in the first place. If that happened I would be pretty pissed off.

It's a bit different if you have an idea and you believe the customers may appreciate it be it for the purposefulness or just entertainment. That would be called innovation which finds market share or not.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 02:35:12 pm by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 02:48:33 pm
Amurrica is built upon creating dissatisfaction and selling "solutions" to a unrecognized (i.e. largely created) issue.
Spray tans
Light Beer - drink less?
Fake eyelashes - you already have eyelashes
Ginormous 400HP 4WD pickup trucks - really? To drive around empty 99% of the time with one occupant?
Cell phones other than Flip Fones - get a life! ;D
Mops & toilet brushes with detachable heads so you can toss them into the landfill without touching the "icky" end
"Sports" cars with 4 doors
etc, etc

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 02:55:11 pm
Amurrica is built upon creating dissatisfaction and selling "solutions" to a unrecognized (i.e. largely created) issue.
Spray tans
Light Beer - drink less?
Fake eyelashes - you already have eyelashes
Ginormous 400HP 4WD pickup trucks - really? To drive around empty 99% of the time with one occupant?
Cell phones other than Flip Fones - get a life! ;D
Mops & toilet brushes with detachable heads so you can toss them into the landfill without touching the "icky" end
"Sports" cars with 4 doors
etc, etc

Ya, I guess. I'm not that big fan of that style of marketing.  ;)

That's the way they sell security services and insurance in Sweden which is what makes me disgusted. If your home is not connected to a security company with alarm system installed you will have an visitor soon, 100% guaranteed. Some shops the are connected to even a couple of security companies additionally to the police. You go to the counter and you may find 3 or 4 cameras pointing at you, each connected to a different place. Honestly it's a joke.... ::) ...Mr. Volvo figures you work for the competition and you have an arabic problem. Nothing more fun working in a firm that employs more security personnel than employees.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 03:42:30 pm by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 04:28:47 pm
Awww - I think you're just badgering the boy... : ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA8pxzawUGM

Thanks for the link, AzCal! That was some kind of high toreador drama there. And folks: don't miss the video description and its hilarious FAQs. "Badgers? We don't need no stinkin' Badgers!"

(Legal enough to pass muster if they don't look too closely in Woodbridge, Virginia, where the buses don't run at night, holidays or weekends and I'm a contender for 'Village Idiot')

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 04:56:41 pm
Another minor issues and electrified everything is that Gretas just want it, and gobi. should pay. Maximally they want to be in charge of the distribution as some project leader or something. So, ya...if gobi. pays for it anyway they could as well make it themselves. Instead of subsidising the marketing and sales of the electric bikes only.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 05:22:12 pm by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 07:29:00 pm
Aren't we done with Sweden yet? I'm done... :P

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 07:33:33 pm
Aren't we done with Sweden yet? I'm done... :P

Than bring up a new subject that's interesting.  ::)
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 12:27:36 am
I do - I did - I have-I will continue to do so. Not the issue at all.

olhogrider

• 650 Interceptor and C5
  • Grand Gearhead
  • VEGAS!
Reply #14 on: December 21, 2020, 07:21:29 pm

The only sound I would want from an electric bike would be the sound that George Jetson's car made.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 21, 2020, 07:26:22 pm
The only sound I would want from an electric bike would be the sound that George Jetson's car made.

That sounds appropriate. Very nice.  ;D ;D ;D

https://youtu.be/LnT1VgeXOF0
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 22, 2020, 07:10:37 am
Was that Elroy driving?  ;D

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 22, 2020, 02:09:41 pm
An oldie, but a goodie:

In the year 2020, the Lord came unto Noah, who was now living in America and said:  "Once again, the earth has become wicked and over-populated, and I see the end of all flesh before me."  "Build another ark and save 2 of every living thing along with a few good humans."  He gave Noah the blueprints, saying:  "You have 6 months to build the ark before I will start the unending rain for 40 days and 40 nights." 

Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his yard - but no ark. "Noah!,"  He roared, "I'm about to start the rain!  Where is the ark?" 

"Forgive me, Lord," begged Noah, "but things have changed." 
"I needed a building permit." 

"I've been arguing with the boat inspector about the need for a sprinkler system." 

"My neighbors claim that I've violated the neighborhood by-laws by building the ark in my back yard and exceeding the height limitations. We had to go to the local Planning Committee for a decision." 

"Then the local Council and the electric company demanded 
a shed load of money for the future costs of moving power 
lines and other overhead obstructions, to clear the passage for the ark's move to the sea. I told them that the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear none of it." 

"Getting the wood was another problem. There's a ban on cutting local trees in order to save the Greater Spotted Barn Owl."  "I tried to convince the environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the owls - but no go!" 

"When I started gathering the animals the ASPCA took me to court.  They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their will.  They argued the accommodations were too restrictive and it was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space." 

"Then the Environmental Protection Agency ruled that I couldn't build the ark until they'd conducted an environmental impact study on your proposed flood." 

"I'm still trying to resolve a complaint with the Human Rights Commission on how many minorities I'm supposed to hire for my building crew." 

"The Immigration Dept. is checking the visa status of most of the people who want to work." 

"The trade unions say I can't use my sons. They insist I have to hire only Union workers with ark-building experience." 

"To make matters worse, the IRS seized all my assets, claiming I'm trying to leave the country illegally with endangered species." 

"So, forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least 10 years for me to finish this ark." 

"Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine, and a rainbow stretched across the sky." 

Back to the drawing board, apparently. Next time god will have to pick a Noah that lives in Texas, instead of California.   ::)
2011 Royal Enfield B5 500, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 22, 2020, 04:07:55 pm
Ask & ye shall receive... ;D

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 25, 2020, 03:25:33 pm
Here is a Christmas message that derottone should appreciate. This certainly feels like what is going on in California this year and likely next year, too. But this guy may be a little over the top with his message: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erAYITZRdJk
2011 Royal Enfield B5 500, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 25, 2020, 04:21:23 pm
Here is a Christmas message that derottone should appreciate. This certainly feels like what is going on in California this year and likely next year, too. But this guy may be a little over the top with his message: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erAYITZRdJk

Yup, sounds like Sweden. It's tough to leave hell though, because hell doesn't like people leaving.
"Ignorance is strength"

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 25, 2020, 07:01:07 pm
Yup, sounds like Sweden. It's tough to leave hell though, because hell doesn't like people leaving.

Very true!  And neither does California. If you have a job and pay taxes they need you to fund their many social services programs.  >:(

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 26, 2020, 06:48:21 am
Hmmm...So Sweden & California prevent you from leaving...so the population roughly doubles in each country each year as the tourism volume about equals the existing population...but it doesn't, so there must be a huge market in human smugglers getting people out. Sounds like a business opportunity for a couple samaritans with anti-Sweden & anti-California sentiments!  ;D ;D ;D

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 26, 2020, 08:56:24 am
Hmmm...So Sweden & California prevent you from leaving...so the population roughly doubles in each country each year as the tourism volume about equals the existing population...but it doesn't, so there must be a huge market in human smugglers getting people out. Sounds like a business opportunity for a couple samaritans with anti-Sweden & anti-California sentiments!  ;D ;D ;D

Wrong, in general it used to like tourists as long as the kept the cash in there and left asap. Population is not increasing anymore, since the import of adopted kids to milk the social industry has come to a halt in 2019.
"Ignorance is strength"

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 26, 2020, 09:26:00 am
...I pulled this out of my leg the day I left it.  ;)
"Ignorance is strength"

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 26, 2020, 02:13:45 pm

Elon Musk managed to get smuggled out of California and into Texas, along with a couple of other California billionaires, recently. The ones that were willing to explain their reasons for leaving said it was due to burdensome business regulations and high taxes placed on high earners. That was no big surprise to the media. 

And now we have politicians proposing to raise taxes even more on high earners (pick a $$$ number) again to make up for the loss of the big movers. Our Democratic politicians have an insatiable appetite for free money that falls out of trees to fund new and on-going social programs. One new 25-year old Assemblyman is calling for the state to fund universal income for all, free medical services for everyone, and housing for all, which he says is a human right.  I might add that he currently lives with his parents, who feed and house him and pay for his medical insurance.  I guess he just wants the state to take over the job of his parents.  ::)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: December 26, 2020, 03:34:36 pm
Seriously? Guys capable of personally funding a dozen brand-new Nuclear Power Stations and having plenty of cash left are worried about their next meal? Sounds like someone is conflating their own piggybank with Bezos & Musks. Not quite the same thing. Last I read the taxes start to apply to folks making more than $400K yearly. Pretty sure that leaves out everyone I know or have ever worked with, barring my old CEO I met once at a "greet the peons" session.  That worthy paid himself $15M - $25M yearly to funnel money upwards to the Board of Directors. (his salary amount was about equal to the yearly O&M funding of their entire Northern Hydro Division) ALL of these folks had less seniority than I did, being associated with the company an an average less than 10 years. The company itself has been around 110 years by that point. These were the same A _ _ holes that tried to sell off all their generation, their cheapest power, already paid for multiple times by the Ratepayer. One former CEO wistfully looked at us zeks during a mandatory all hands (paid audience) meeting and said "We need to be just like Enron...". So don't worry, YOU aren't the "high earner" in question. Standing around waiting for crumbs to fall from the emperors table isn't a good long term survival strategy. No contact magic is going to give you access to real money that you'd (horror of horrors!) then have to pay taxes on. NONE of the cognoscenti are paying the same percent of income as we do. A fleet of tax lawyers & accountants see to that. Where's YOUR fleet of folks protecting YOUR vast wealth? Same as mine, only shows up in the mirror?

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 26, 2020, 03:54:03 pm
#26: I would agree that Musk with the electric cars seems to be a part of the problem as a subsidiary consumer. About the same as the Swedish Oligarchs running their Social Industry hiding behind some benevolent Organisations funneling money into their foundations. Consequently you won't find any jobs outside that political area that earn a living.
"Ignorance is strength"

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 26, 2020, 05:27:27 pm
There are always going to be arguments as to which is the better way to reduce crime and other social issues. One side thinks more police and jails will fix the problem and the other side thinks social welfare and free education and training is more effective.

Truth is probably money needs to be spent either way and a policy that sits in the middle and does a bit of both is the most effective.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 26, 2020, 06:11:24 pm
There are always going to be arguments as to which is the better way to reduce crime and other social issues. One side thinks more police and jails will fix the problem and the other side thinks social welfare and free education and training is more effective..

IMHO both is nonsense, booming economy is going to solve it. The only issue is why bother building it.  ;)
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: December 26, 2020, 07:58:23 pm
I was always interested as to why the "Commodities" system was abandoned. A family with 50 pounds of cheese, a 5 gallon tin of powdered milk, 100 pound sack each of rice & beans, maybe a tin of powdered eggs, that family will be able to eat if they have a hot plate or hibachi. Any extra money can be funneled to rent, clothes or transportation. Simply giving folks with limited financial acumen money and assuming they'll buy reasonable subsistence supplies seems doomed to fail. I see a lot of tattoos, touch-screen cell phones and vape hardware myself. I believe the commodities system didn't funnel enough money to the "convenience food" divisions of General Mills and lobbyists took care of the rest. A lot of useful warehouse & driving jobs were lost, and small farmers lost a steady source of direct basic income.

On the industrial welfare end, I'd really like to see the Bargaining Unit more involved with Management selection and retention in post. I've seen way too many Upgrades that within a few months choked off the parts supplies to the workers and cut back necessary overtime, primarily to pad their own year end bonus cheques, all to the long term degradation of the process equipment. Long Term degradation was paid for with "Capital" money, a different and lucrative process for the Company. Going further up the food chain, I don't like the practice of Upper Management NOT coming "up the ladder", so they have only a minimal grasp of their decision making on the entire process. Way too much short term "rape & pillage" going on in the USA.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: December 27, 2020, 11:08:48 am
The issue is Muskie would be planting potatoes if we head actual money.

https://youtu.be/23NCVy04iV0

...all I need is some Uganda guy illuminate me how to build a plane. Wait a second,
where did I see this before?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacek_SD-1_Minisport

Guns, Germs and Steel.  ;) - Jared Diamond. Great Book.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 11:11:38 am by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: December 27, 2020, 06:29:51 pm

What were you trying to say here?
"The issue is Muskie would be planting potatoes if we head(?) actual money."
Some oblique reference to this?    https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CDOC-104sdoc17/pdf/CDOC-104sdoc17.pdf

The Uganda fellow was making an effort. Survivable or not remains to be seen.

For a 25-35 HP engine, maybe this might have been a better choice:
https://www.pietenpolaircraftcompany.com/
At least you have a better chance of exiting an open cockpit in a hurry if needs be.

These folks make some nice kits also:
https://fisherflying.com/

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: December 27, 2020, 07:09:36 pm
What I mean is, that there is nothing I'm happier to see than Musk moving Tesla to Texas. Equally happy to see the Battery factories he is building around with a donation of our great government. I bet it's going to be a huge success.  :)
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 27, 2020, 08:00:42 pm
So-Long Musk? Making potato batteries in Texas?

I'm 'wit you in that there isn't an infinite market for $100K grocery getters.

I dunno why we can buy a  $60K diesel Ford 15 MPG F3500 or Dodge equivalent, but can't buy a $15K diesel 60 MPG euro-spec econocar. If I can buy a 170 MPH motorcycle or motorhome with minimal seat belt / air bag requirements, a small fuel efficient car can't logical be a safety issue. All the major auto makers build them but they're not imported to the "home 'o free trade & competition" USA.

On a side note, the Dear Leader's crack Fox/OAN/NewsMax driven minion squad apparently just bombed an ATT building in Nashville because "5G" was going to mind control them. Seems like the first mind control communications stratagem might have been to send out a "don't bomb the telcom sites" memo, eh?
https://nypost.com/2020/12/27/nashville-mayor-believes-explosion-targeted-att-building/
Nashville’s mayor said Sunday that the city’s Christmas blast appeared to be an “infrastructure attack” on the AT&T building there — amid reports the suspect was paranoid about 5G networks spying on Americans.
The possible suicide bombing occurred near the local AT&T building, wreaking havoc on service in several Southern states, while also wiping out a number of locally owned businesses in the historic downtown area with the explosives-laden RV.
“The truck was parked adjacent to this large, historic AT&T facility, which happens to be in downtown Nashville, somewhat surprisingly,” Nashville Mayor John Cooper told CBS News’ “Face the Nation.”

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: December 27, 2020, 11:08:14 pm
What I mean is, that there is nothing I'm happier to see than Musk moving Tesla to Texas. Equally happy to see the Battery factories he is building around with a donation of our great government. I bet it's going to be a huge success.  :)

Meanwhile the guy that owns Oracle has moved from Silicon Valley to a private island in the state of Hawaii.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: December 27, 2020, 11:20:28 pm
Meanwhile the guy that owns Oracle has moved from Silicon Valley to a private island in the state of Hawaii.

Seems like that vision of Klaus Schwab is happening: "You will own nothing and you'll be happy about it." Glad I don't own anything except of my RE, otherwise I would need to be moving all the time.  ;D
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: December 28, 2020, 12:15:44 am
You guys are late - Ellison bought Lanai in 2012, Eight years ago. I'm sure $600 million in island has some property tax associated with it, so not quite nothing. This is just one of several homes the uber class cycle between. Meanwhile Derottone is apparently living out of a day-pack and tarp bungeed to his 535... :o Obviously the Cognoscenti are still excessively taxed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blogs/lookout/oracle-ceo-larry-ellison-buys-hawaiian-island-lanai-162214094.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANJxdGyte1pLNg5R6TKYUep3sCbpnzMXgPGSbL4dCnaME3sOsh551_v_otDV8gbNCR9znd-Dkv1B7NdLlYXyMwLl-lrMr_9HvhYfqcU0jF7p_me-3hZcxLg2Kg4wUDgUjeJizWtvdxXAKfEBKDHI1xxfJ-OTKNwmG6Ouu5AMRQU4

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: December 28, 2020, 08:09:58 pm
You guys are late - Ellison bought Lanai in 2012, Eight years ago. I'm sure $600 million in island has some property tax associated with it, so not quite nothing. This is just one of several homes the uber class cycle between. Meanwhile Derottone is apparently living out of a day-pack and tarp bungeed to his 535... :o Obviously the Cognoscenti are still excessively taxed.

...I lived in Sweden in between of anthroposophs and ridiculous window cleaning companies run by nordic commie overlords married to can't have enough agressive gretas they all thought I somehow owe them something.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 08:23:32 pm by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: December 29, 2020, 05:49:53 pm
So you're STILL paying these taxes...? ???

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: December 29, 2020, 06:49:39 pm
I live in California. I and many of my contemporaries made out quite well with careers and investments in real estate. Some of us are back in California after moving to various other states to retire. Apparently, Maine, Montana, Colorado and even Idaho have drawbacks! Who knew?

In Maine I worked construction on a Victorian house using lead paint after joining cedar rain gutters with sheet lead. Yes, my hands were dull gray at day's end. Lifting float docks in winter involved an unlicensed 1950s boom truck that rained hydraulic fluid into the wind. Another job site was a commercial building where money was saved by omitting roof braces.  It was easy to do since no inspections ever happened. Mandated inspections could have saved a nearby family who perished when fire broke out in their connected mobile homes with a single exit. I was chastised by my boss for using a table saw guard. He pointed at me with the stub of his former index finger and got mad when I laughed.

The other repatriated Californians I know have similar tales. The grass IS greener elsewhere but I prefer pho and empanadas.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: December 29, 2020, 08:02:11 pm
So you're STILL paying these taxes...? ???

....planning to become a government employee to make sure no Greta can ever enter this country.  ;)

....and if than only with a horse carriage or roof top solar cell powered vehicle, only cole generated electricity here.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 08:07:00 pm by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: December 29, 2020, 10:28:30 pm
@ Stanley, #40: Right on brother. People building death traps and poisoning the ground they live on while avoiding the overbearing scrutiny of "Big 'Gummint". Run wild & free until there's nowhere left to go, right? THEN things get really sticky. Health care consisting of "Crawl away under a bush and heal up or die." I've worked with these guys for years - "get all there is to get & move on.". That strategy of existence only really works at the Stone Age tech level with about 1,000 square miles per person.  - ACR -

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/cuyahoga-river-caught-fire-least-dozen-times-no-one-cared-until-1969-180972444/

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: December 29, 2020, 10:31:21 pm
I live in California. I and many of my contemporaries made out quite well with careers and investments in real estate. Some of us are back in California after moving to various other states to retire. Apparently, Maine, Montana, Colorado and even Idaho have drawbacks! Who knew?

In Maine I worked construction on a Victorian house using lead paint after joining cedar rain gutters with sheet lead. Yes, my hands were dull gray at day's end. Lifting float docks in winter involved an unlicensed 1950s boom truck that rained hydraulic fluid into the wind. Another job site was a commercial building where money was saved by omitting roof braces.  It was easy to do since no inspections ever happened. Mandated inspections could have saved a nearby family who perished when fire broke out in their connected mobile homes with a single exit. I was chastised by my boss for using a table saw guard. He pointed at me with the stub of his former index finger and got mad when I laughed.

The other repatriated Californians I know have similar tales. The grass IS greener elsewhere but I prefer pho and empanadas.

That's why they're called Mainiacs up there. Maine is a lot looser than much of New England. In our truck shop in CT among other things we had to remove the regulators from our oxy-act tanks every night in case the tank fell over, smashed the regulator and started a fire. The fact that the tanks were chained to a wall didn't seem to matter.  If you got caught bypassing a machine guard it could lead to your being fired. FWIW that was at Connecticut Light and Power (now Eversource) so we were a prime target for OSHA inspectors that needed to put a notch in their belt. I'm not saying safety devices and protocols aren't a good thing, But I am saying that all the OSHA mandated crap in the world is no substitute for common sense, and that in many cases government mandated safety devices are just so much bull shit that add cost and complication without solving the real problem.  I mean seriously, if you pick up a running lawn mower by it's deck and lose your fingers, it says a lot more about your intelligence (or lack thereof) than it does about the design of the mower.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: December 29, 2020, 10:37:56 pm
@ #41: Couldn't quite make out the message there. Are you planning on working for the US 'Gummint? Which Euro Commie state do you presently live in? I've seen England & Ireland & France; Unless you move to Texas you are just treading water. Get over 'heah wit the real cowboys where you can run free a bit! Get that 535 up in the bed of an F350 and head to Sturgis!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: December 29, 2020, 10:46:02 pm
"Ya needs ta be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpf_rhdV4XA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YALuzXO-Dkc

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: December 29, 2020, 11:10:39 pm
zimmemr @ # 43: Government regs are primarily lobbyist driven. The Power Biz makes money spending capital. They discovered that if they had to spend money to comply, it could come from Capital. Guaranteed 10.5% RoR for my old Utility. Coincidentally these rules by-and-large reduce liability risk for them also, as injuries from non-compliance gets them off the hook. My favorite scam of the Company was procedure writing. Exact rules of operation/maintenance activities that were written in stone but not updated as hardware & conditions changed. In theory a new-hire just had to read the procedures to successfully complete any task. Never did see any procedures for Management though...

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: December 29, 2020, 11:27:05 pm
"Ya needs ta be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpf_rhdV4XA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YALuzXO-Dkc

Holy crap! That's hard to watch. Connecticut Light and Power was very safety oriented. We discussed safety before every job and every man in the crew had the ability to shut the job down instantly if he thought there was a problem. Furthermore every man knew what he needed to do, in what order and when, He also knew what PPE to wear. Guys still took short cuts, a good friend and an outstanding lineman went up one day to secure a primary wire that had fallen off it's insulator. He got in the bucket wearing a T shirt, a hard hat and leather gloves. As he grabbed the cable his left shoulder made contact with a live conductor. The initial surge blew his thumb off, and torched his left arm, which was amputated the next day. At his hearing he was asked what in his opinion caused the accident. He said and I quote " I got stupid."

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: December 30, 2020, 12:44:23 am
zimmemr @ # 43: Government regs are primarily lobbyist driven. The Power Biz makes money spending capital. They discovered that if they had to spend money to comply, it could come from Capital. Guaranteed 10.5% RoR for my old Utility. Coincidentally these rules by-and-large reduce liability risk for them also, as injuries from non-compliance gets them off the hook. My favorite scam of the Company was procedure writing. Exact rules of operation/maintenance activities that were written in stone but not updated as hardware & conditions changed. In theory a new-hire just had to read the procedures to successfully complete any task. Never did see any procedures for Management though...

Our thinking in the trenches was that no matter what the rhetoric ALL safety initiatives were driven by the company's fear of liability. Despite their protests to the contrary all they really cared about was not being forced to pay out millions if someone got hurt. And yeah, I never saw any handbook for suits either. That being said I spent 32 years on the job and while I didn't love every minute of it, I did enjoy it, and there's a lot about it I miss now that I'm retired.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: December 30, 2020, 06:52:01 pm
I really enjoyed working someplace where everyone knew how to read & write and was willing to show up everyday like it was important. Like everywhere else though, there are always a few clowns that can't quite make the conceptual leap connecting "recreational drug use" and "steady paycheck". We were always glad to see them go. The last thing you need is someone a "little foggy" running the gantry crane or deciphering an electrical schematic to a live circuit. Power generation was the most fun, the equipment had the most variety, and it was great working and learning from the old timers. Hydro was amazing - the generation equipment vintage spanned from 1910 to 2020. We even had some carbon tetrachloride filled arc extinguishing glass-bodied fuses still in service. And the protective relays - many looking to be right out of a museum and still fully functional!

https://saskmuseums.org/blog/entry/glass-grenade-style-fire-extinguisher-bombs-are-they-safe

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #50 on: December 30, 2020, 07:29:50 pm
I wish I'd saved the photos my African friend sent me. He is a Capetown power plant engineer who discovered thieves had dug up all the grounding cables for the copper. They were almost a foot in diameter and were cut with an axe. A search for dead bodies was fruitless.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: December 30, 2020, 07:39:52 pm
Copper theft is very common, it was almost daily order in Sweden too around the 2010-2014 years. Churches were a primary target, both the swedish evangelical churches are run by robber barons anyway implying guilt to everyone with extreme psychological methods to get their hands on a bit of cash, the taxes and government support is not enough of course. Additionally to every church there is a bank attached pushing again with draconian methods credit on people, ought to be investigated.
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: December 30, 2020, 08:08:49 pm
Here's something to refresh those old Svensk memories - get a bottle of Akvavit (aquavit ? akevitt ?) and settle in for an evening (or two) with a trip down memory lane!   ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emigrants_(film) {Utvandrarna}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Land {Nybyggarna}

Copper theft gets really entertaining and rather Darwin Awardy when the crackheads switch to live conductors... :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIk4JsxAfHc
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ad4_1484873755

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: December 30, 2020, 08:13:49 pm
AzCal: We had five hydro's in our service area, I would only go there to service their power equipment but on one visit a work crew from GE was servicing one of the generators, we got to talking and he showed me the original build tag, the thing had been installed in 1917, and needed only minor maintenance work, that was probably around 1998 or so. Back then guys knew how to build stuff that lasted. A lot of the gauges and switches in those plants were original as well.

Sounds like we worked for the same outfit ;) No matter how our crew shaped up there was always one asshole that called in sick every Friday. Shirked overtime and storm duty, and just couldn't give you a decent days work. Normally we were expected to do about 6 hours of work in an 8.5 hour day. If everyone pulled their weight we could get everything done and be cleaned up in an easy 5 or so hours. When someone screwed off it meant the rest of us sweated it out for the full eight.

As to copper theft, early on the company let us keep all the scrap copper and iron. Once a year we'd sell it to the local scrap yard and have a "copper party." Then one of the higher ups figured out what the stuff was worth and we had to turn it in and the company sold it off. In some locations we had a huge problem with theft, at our work center someone broke in, Loaded a pick up truck with scrap and drove it through the fence. He got it stuck in a field where we found it the next day. We also had a couple of instances where guys tried to steal copper that was still energized. That always made the news in a big way, I recall one of the lucky ones lost both arms. The others, their stealing days ended right then and there.

It's also a huge problem in NYC, thieves there strip the flashing off roofs and from around the skylights in old buildings, every so often one falls through the roof and that's that. I'm surprised it's an issue in Sweden, I thought they'd eliminated all of that sort of thing ;) Glad to see old fashioned theft is still a thing over there.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: December 30, 2020, 08:17:55 pm
Here's something to refresh those old Svensk memories - get a bottle of Akvavit (aquavit ? akevitt ?) and settle in for an evening (or two) with a trip down memory lane!   ;D

Copper theft gets really entertaining and rather Darwin Awardy when the crackheads switch to live conductors... :o

Holy shit it looks like the lineman, and I use the term loosely, is using a wooden hot stick, and doesn't seem to be wearing much PPE.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 08:33:15 pm by zimmemr »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: December 30, 2020, 08:44:09 pm
Blink reeel fast & turn your head. Works every time...

A sign seen in Jerome Arizona on a home made crane with exposed reduction gears by the operators' elbow, an open exhaust flathead V8 powering the monster and zero cab protection: "We hire only safe & conscientious workmen; If you don't consider yourself a safe & conscientious person, don't apply here." Management at it's finest...

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: December 30, 2020, 08:55:47 pm

...talking about Svensk memories. Anyone remembers this little robbery?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A4stberga_helicopter_robbery

...only in sweden, beyond ridiculous.  ::)
"Ignorance is strength"

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: December 30, 2020, 09:01:46 pm
Blink reeel fast & turn your head. Works every time...

A sign seen in Jerome Arizona on a home made crane with exposed reduction gears by the operators' elbow, an open exhaust flathead V8 powering the monster and zero cab protection: "We hire only safe & conscientious workmen; If you don't consider yourself a safe & conscientious person, don't apply here." Management at it's finest...

Gotta love it!. Among my other interests, I'm a member of CAMA the Connecticut Antique Machinery Club. You should see some of the stuff we have at our museum. One of my favorite pieces is a 1929 Bay City Crane, When you swing the boom to the left you have to duck as it passes right over your head. Forget to do it once and you'll never forget again. When I was a kid I oiled on a 1962 P&H, as long as you stayed in the seat it was safe, but every gear in the cab was fully exposed and there were a lot of them. The guy I replaced had lost his arm in one of them. When I greased the thing I made sure the operator was out of the cab and that I had the keys in my pocket.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: December 30, 2020, 09:05:50 pm
...talking about Svensk memories. Anyone remembers this little robbery?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A4stberga_helicopter_robbery

...only in sweden, beyond ridiculous.  ::)

You have to admire their initiative. That's about as a ballsy a heist as I've ever heard of. 

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: December 30, 2020, 09:52:18 pm
You have to admire their initiative. That's about as a ballsy a heist as I've ever heard of.

Too good to be true. I would say it's ballsy, if it was not so smelly immediately followed by the advertisement banner "don't use cash, use digital only" with a picture of Björn Ulvaeus bedside it.
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: December 30, 2020, 10:33:38 pm
"Alexander Eriksson instead flew to the Canary Islands. He was met at the airport by a special operations unit of the Swedish police. "
Related 9PM News blurb >> "Eleven other criminals as well as several bystanders were turned away when they also tried to surrender...more film at 10PM..." <<   ;D ;D ;D

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: December 31, 2020, 03:33:50 am
...I would not trust anything that comes out of that place. Surprisingly they didn't use a battery powered helicopter made out of recycled cardboard.
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: December 31, 2020, 06:46:41 am
Serbian Goran Bojovic, a former BIA Red Beret, led the robbery. The Bell 206 Jet Ranger (aka OH-58 Kiowa) is most assuredly not from Sweden, isn't made out of Papier Mache, and was probably spec'd out by Goran from previous experience. The actual robbery went well, the getting away part not so much; a common crime problem not restricted to Sweden. Try the national dish of meatballs washed down with some Akvavit, serenaded with an evening of ABBA's finest tunes and you'll feel better in the morning
https://ingmar.app/blog/swedish-national-dish-meatballs/
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/top-10-foods-try-sweden

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Intelligence_Agency
The BIA is a national intelligence agency of Serbia. The agency is responsible for collecting, reporting and disseminating intelligence, and conducting counter-intelligence in the interest of Serbia's national security.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_206

Serbian Interior Minister Ivica Dačić claims that former members of the BIA Red Berets took part in the robbery. One month prior to the robbery, the Swedish embassy was allegedly given "certain information about a criminal group which was preparing a robbery" by Serbian police. One out of seven sentenced men were from Serbia.[8]

Swedish police quickly identified and arrested the suspects. Two days after the robbery, Safa Kadhum flew to Dominican Republic where he was arrested by local law enforcement on Swedish government's request. Swedish police immediately chartered a private plane to bring him back to Sweden. Alexander Eriksson instead flew to the Canary Islands. He was met at the airport by a special operations unit of the Swedish police. The police identified Goran Bojovic as the one who led the robbery. [9]

More fun from the "KDKB Master Criminal of the Week!" files.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqNVmuTeRcI

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: December 31, 2020, 10:45:10 am
A paper mache helicopter would have had a better public impact. The chinese Aquavit and horse meet made köttbullar are unlikely to find a place on my table ever. I'm not inclined to sponsor Gretas new villa, ever. Greta go to work!
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: December 31, 2020, 08:36:39 pm
Say Whaaat?  :o

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: January 02, 2021, 08:34:22 am
Say Whaaat?  :o

Greta could bake a cake and invite her friends for a coffe party. Ohhh, can't do that, in commie parasitistan they would make fun of her how stupid she is doing actual work. Or accuse her of being greedy because she didn't serve champagne with caviar. ::)

I guess she will have to come up with another theory why the world is coming to an end.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 08:58:50 am by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: January 02, 2021, 06:17:55 pm
Here's a theory for you that doesn't depend on demonizing anyone or anyplace in particular:

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

World population now is about 7.8 billion. In 1920 total population was about 1.8 billion, so over a 400% growth the last 100 years. Things really took off after 1800. Before that it took 900 years to increase 400% from an estimated 250 million in 900 AD to 1 billion in 1800 AD.

There was a lot more arable land available in 1800 for those 1 billion. The land area of Earth is still about 57 million square miles, 29% of the total surface area.

In 1920 total population was about 1.8 billion and there was more arable or potentially arable land available. Currently at 7.8 billion that yields an "average" of about 137 people per square mile. Unfortunately only about 12 million is farmable, so each square mile of farmland supports about 650 people and puts the rest of us up to about 170 per square mile.

Unless there is some ultimate illegal-aliens-from-outer-space-issued "prize" for exponential population expansion into a finite resource area, maybe some thought should be given to that prickly issue? Instead of banging on about "Gretas" & "evil Sweden" taking away your Keurig, maybe that time might be more productively spent encouraging those folks at Planned Parenthood. (https://www.plannedparenthood.org/ )
“There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy”  Alfred Henry Lewis (1855-1914)
What is the predictable outcome of billions of people fighting over the last scraps of resources left? Do you remotely think that "Greta" would have garnered an audience any sort of audience in 1800, when folks could see with their own eyes limitless natural resources and plentiful empty space?
Very well documented indeed is what happens in uncontrolled population expansion scenarios, that the "carrying capacity" of the "range" is permanently & significantly degraded by the expansion & crash cycle. This is in reference to biological time of course, not geological time, which isn't of much use to an existing species.
China had a "One-Child" policy and had to replace it with the "Two-Child" policy to counter threats from population growth from adjacent Islamic nations. Going to war with a geriatric army against a bunch of 16 year old's didn't appeal to them. Had these same nations had a lower birth rate, China could have continued on it's original strategy towards a stable population of 700 million. With a land area of 3.7 million square miles, that would have put them at about 190/ sq.mi.; presently they're at about 350 with a population of 1.3 billion.
Greta & Sweden aren't the problem here. We need to apply our brains to our continued survival and start to behave like we're sentients, not ground squirrels or deer. Not filling up the oceans with plastic bags which results in killing off everything big enough to swallow them is a good start. Or we could just go on inutility excoriating a 17 year old that happens to be the current focus of media attention.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/09/09/where-and-why-the-median-age-for-muslims-is-so-low/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-child_policy#:~:text=The%20new%20policy%20allowing%20Chinese,effective%20from%201%20January%202016.

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-biology/chapter/environmental-limits-to-population-growth/#:~:text=When%20the%20population%20size%2C%20N,shaped%20growth%20curve%20is%20produced.&text=In%20logistic%20growth%2C%20population%20expansion,in%20an%20S%2Dshaped%20curve.

https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/wikispeedia/wpcd/wp/a/Arable_land.htm#:~:text=Of%20the%20earth's%2057%20million,38%2C610%20square%20miles)%20per%20year.
"Of the earth's 57 million square miles (148,000,000 km²) of land, approximately 12 million square miles (31,000,000 km²) are arable; however, arable land is being lost at the rate of over 100,000 km² (38,610 square miles) per year."

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/world-population-by-year/

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: January 02, 2021, 06:32:12 pm
Wow, sounds great, planned parenthood. Can't get any better, send me the concubines.

Can someone shoot this Malthus, what exactly is scares the cash on Bill Gatses account? I'm not at all inclined to spend my life disproving these theories by the way. There is no point, what Greta says is a scientific fact so why bother.  ;)

Consequently a typical Swedish company is run by the genetically privileged. HA-HA

« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 07:09:38 pm by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: January 02, 2021, 08:01:53 pm
"I'm not at all inclined to spend my life disproving these theories by the way."

So all this "Greta" & "Sweden" drivel we are incessantly bombarded with is what exactly, pointless self-entertainment? No provable basis for any of it? Don't care enough about the other forum members to actually do the work and support your positions?

Your tech-related stuff is great; incisive & informative. I really look forward to it. Why you constantly wander off into the Sweden & Greta filled weeds is a mystery. That stuff isn't anything like your tech writing. We all have demons, most of us leave them behind with the "delete" key.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: January 02, 2021, 08:10:39 pm
So how does one person disprove a theory that some billionaires club spend endless amounts of cash to develop and propagate into the world?

It's not up to me to prove or disprove anything. The FFF crowd is considering to put particles in the atmosphere. I live under the the atmosphere too, I never had an issue with diesel particles neither with the climate. Now I don't want any artificial particles in the atmosphere, simple.

https://www.cnet.com/videos/how-putting-particles-in-the-stratosphere-might-just-slow-global-warming/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 08:15:34 pm by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #70 on: January 02, 2021, 09:11:45 pm
Or just wait for the super volcano building up under Jellystone Yellowstone Park to do its thing?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: January 02, 2021, 10:49:38 pm
Or just wait for the super volcano building up under Jellystone Yellowstone Park to do its thing?

A.

Or for the comet striking? Alternatively you could go on and organise the whole thing, a very important page to you in the history books would be granted.  ;)
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: January 02, 2021, 11:00:26 pm
You don't have to "disprove" anything. You need to look at the proven known science and draw logical conclusions. Just like you already do so well when you diagnose mechanical of electrical issues, you don't set out to reformulate metallurgy or re-theorize magnetic theory. Take the best, repeatable, proven-by-multiple-source data you can get and do the best you can to get useful results. Use the tools you already have to get useful results.
"Now I don't want any artificial particles in the atmosphere, simple." As AdrianII pointed out, volcanic eruptions (not remotely under our jurisdiction) release tremendous quantities of sulfur & sulfur compounds when they erupt. Historical data show a clear correlation between eruptions and global-scale cooling. There's also zero way to match those vast quantities of materials. As far as "artificial particles", remember the "ozone hole"? The one that began to heal when fluorocarbon refrigerant releases were reduced? It's still an ongoing process, but we all don't need "Sunblock 60" yet, so maybe a small success. Science is a tool. It can be used for good or evil, it's still just a tool. Ignoring science doesn't make it wrong, it just blocks you from using it well.

A comet strike? Like this one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event#:~:text=in%20mid%2Dair.-,Asteroid%20or%20comet%3F,atmosphere%2C%20leaving%20no%20obvious%20traces.
Asteroid or comet?
In 1930, the British astronomer F. J. W. Whipple suggested that the Tunguska body was a small comet. A comet is composed of dust and volatiles, such as water ice and frozen gases, and could have been completely vaporised by the impact with Earth's atmosphere, leaving no obvious traces. The comet hypothesis was further supported by the glowing skies (or "skyglows" or "bright nights") observed across Eurasia for several evenings after the impact, which are possibly explained by dust and ice that had been dispersed from the comet's tail across the upper atmosphere.[39] The cometary hypothesis gained a general acceptance among Soviet Tunguska investigators by the 1960s.[39]

Again, take what you know and see what best fits the data. "Use what you know to figure out what you don't know".

Paranoia is useful but has its limits: "Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead." Ben Franklin
Vast world wide conspiracies are a very tough slog. Occam's razor cuts to the truth more often than not.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 11:11:31 pm by AzCal Retred »

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: January 02, 2021, 11:35:27 pm
The proven known science is that climate change has very little to do with human activity. All the evidence exists, nobody wants to hear it neither see it. What else?

Why are you talking about conspiracies? There is no conspiracy, it's a collective delusion.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 12:05:07 am by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: January 03, 2021, 05:51:18 am
The only reason to make the absurd statement that human activity has no effect on Earths climate is to entertain yourself.
It is pretty self evident that deforestation, i.e. albedo changes (thermal reflectivity), atmospheric gas changes, etc. all impact climate.
At #66 & #72 points were presented regarding human impact and the utility of applying what is known & can be proven.
Cretaceous CO2 levels were nearly 1000 PPM. Presently they are about 410 PPM, up in about 150 years from a relatively steady state 270 or so of the last 1000 or more years. The Cretaceous world was ice free, and forests extended to the poles. There was less available dry land. From #66, the implications of that are grim for people. A smart guy would try to get ahead of that end if he could. Maybe yes, maybe no, but without trying the end result is predictable.
Earths climate also has solar, geologic and probably interstellar components. The ones we can affect through our actions are land albedo and CO2 from our activities. A survivable environment is another thing we can affect, which is related to but not exactly the same as climate.
"Why are you talking about conspiracies? There is no conspiracy, it's a collective delusion."
Really? This from a guy constantly banging on about "Greta" and her "Swedish Overlords" and their dark designs for us? We have real world issues that are not going to be resolved by ignoring them and doing nothing. That's not entirely true though, as doing nothing is also a choice. If you are "all good" with the probable outcome of inaction, you're already there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretaceous
The Cretaceous ( /krɪˈteɪ.ʃəs/, krih-TAY-shəs)[1] is a geological period that lasted from about 145 to 66 million years ago (mya). It is the third and final period of the Mesozoic Era, as well as the longest. At nearly 80 million years, it is the longest geological period of the entire Phanerozoic. The name is derived from the Latin creta, 'chalk', which is abundant in the latter half of the period. It is usually abbreviated K, for its German translation Kreide. The Cretaceous was a period with a relatively warm climate, resulting in high eustatic sea levels that created numerous shallow inland seas. These oceans and seas were populated with now-extinct marine reptiles, ammonites and rudists, while dinosaurs continued to dominate on land. The world was ice free, and forests extended to the poles. During this time, new groups of mammals and birds appeared. During the Early Cretaceous, flowering plants appeared and began to rapidly diversify, becoming the dominant group of plants across the Earth by the end of the Cretaceous, co-incident with the decline and extinction of previously widespread gymnosperm groups.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: January 03, 2021, 10:12:33 am
We have real world issues that are not going to be resolved by ignoring them and doing nothing. That's not entirely true though, as doing nothing is also a choice. If you are "all good" with the probable outcome of inaction, you're already there.

Action or inaction is a matter of economics. What are the real issues, how would you want to solve them and how would you want to pay for it if there is no economy?

I've spent a decade under Gretas yelling for action, nothing is going to be ever enough, nothing is going to be ever able to be sold and made money with. Risk and work for you, safety and profits for them. And I mean 100% safety, do your work as we command and drop death. There is nothing to discuss, there is nothing to do with this crowd.

Na zdrovije, get yourself a gun!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 10:15:17 am by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: January 03, 2021, 01:46:52 pm
The U.S. Speaker of the House, Nancy Palosai (pardon the mangling of her last name), had her private home in San Francisco tagged by graffiti a couple of days ago. The message was: "We want it all". (The graffiti didn't say anything about wanting to pay for it all, though.)  ::)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: January 03, 2021, 05:13:12 pm
@ # 75: I guess we all know where you'll be the evening of 06 Jan 2021...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: January 03, 2021, 05:18:02 pm
@ # 76: more info on those "bicameral" taggings -  ;D

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55518151

Vandals in the US have attacked the homes of the leaders of the two houses of Congress on the eve of a new session and the swearing-in of lawmakers.

Police said fake blood and a pig's head were left outside the California home of Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic Speaker of the House of Representatives.

In Kentucky, graffiti was scrawled on the house of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Republican. (i.e.  Where's MY F _ _ _ 'in Money )

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: January 03, 2021, 05:53:19 pm
@ # 75: I guess we all know where you'll be the evening of 06 Jan 2021...

.....and where should I be? Do you refer to this maybe?

https://www.pacificpundit.com/2020/12/19/donald-trump-says-wild-protest-scheduled-for-january-6-2021-in-dc/

In that case I have to disappoint you, I don't care.  ;)
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: January 03, 2021, 06:10:30 pm
"Na zdrovije, get yourself a gun!" doesn't sound too disinterested to me. Some may misconstrue as proactive even. Or was this a "Sound & Fury" Faulkner moment?

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: January 03, 2021, 06:16:29 pm
"Na zdrovije, get yourself a gun!" doesn't sound too disinterested to me. Some may misconstrue as proactive even. Or was this a "Sound & Fury" Faulkner moment?

Nope, absolutely not. I'm serious when I'm saying there is no way of dealing with the UBER's.
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: January 03, 2021, 06:43:17 pm
Que son las "UBERs"??

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: January 03, 2021, 06:56:30 pm
Que son las "UBERs"??

....very good people! Saviour of us all, suffering some kind of Robin Hood syndrome maybe.
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: January 03, 2021, 08:06:58 pm
Sounds like you're referencing the phrase "Uber Gutmensch": literally "about good man". The actual usage is a bit dark. I can see why you wouldn't offer to define it.
Wikipedia has a nice write up as "gutmensch", and the always reliable Twitter has a whole army using "#UbergutMensch".
I hope I'm in the weeds on this - Please enlighten me if I am.   

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: January 03, 2021, 10:27:44 pm
You know, I exactly need a thousand academics explaining me why wearing a quartz watch in the sauna is not good for the battery in it.  ::)
"Ignorance is strength"

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: January 04, 2021, 12:35:10 am
You know, I exactly need a thousand academics explaining me why wearing a quartz watch in the sauna is not good for the battery in it.  ::)

Here is a interesting file. The EU is targeting conspiracy theories in Sweden, what the EU doesn't get is that the harder they "target" the conspiracy theories the more people will clinch on to it. Targeting conspiracy theories is a conspiracy in itself. Surprisingly I've never heard anyone talking about the moon landing being a conspiracy other than those "targeting" conspiracy theories. I've heard about the chemtrails before but always thought it's bullshit until a couple of days before while reading Bill Gates is investing into a research to put particles into the stratosphere. So there could be something to it, right? Or maybe the conspiracy theory inspired the research? Who could possibly know. You would need to effectively outlaw all communication to "target" the spread of conspiracy theories? or Ideas? or what exactly is a conspiracy theory and who owns the truth? The EU?

Tell me the truth and I tell you who you are?

"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: January 04, 2021, 02:03:44 am
Who needs conspiracy theories when stuff like this actually exists?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(aircraft)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glomar_Explorer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Popeye

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding  ( back in 1891 !! )

"truth" is repeatable, observable, verifiable fact. Facebook & Twitter are not repositories of "truth".

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: January 18, 2021, 12:48:08 pm
Some very old-fashioned Swedish activity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBX5qh09OIE

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • A Simple Twist Of Fate
Reply #89 on: January 18, 2021, 01:18:12 pm
Some very old-fashioned Swedish activity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBX5qh09OIE

A.

If I've watched one of these, I've watched 100. And I mean "the one man building it ALL" type. They are just incredibly impressive. I've also watched 1,000 others of people doing it on their own. You have to have done at least some work of that kind to really appreciate the work involved.
I heated a whole house exclusively with a Fisher wood stove for 12 years in the '70s and the wood was cut and hauled and cut again and split all by me from our own woodlot. Also bought and hauled the stove (600#) home, got it in the house, installed it and managed not to start a chimney fire that whole 12 year time. I was also in the volunteer fire department and idiots were burning down their own houses with wood stoves at about one a week in the '70s while clutching their Whole Earth Catalogs to the breasts and muttering "What happened? What happened"?.

That stove was then used by my daughter for another 5 years until the ex-wife sold the house and property. It then got moved to her new boyfriend's work shop and is probably still there. 

Anyway. All I mean is, I appreciate the work and skill involved.

I like the Swedish or Norwegian cabin builders best. What those people can do (many of them old men) with wood is amazing.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:26:14 pm by tooseevee »
'08 Black AVL Classic.ACEhead 9.8:1/manifold/canister. TM32/Open short bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: January 18, 2021, 01:48:32 pm
I like the Swedish or Norwegian cabin builders best. What those people can do (many of them old men) with wood is amazing.

...old man.  ;D ...Gretas Generation and the flower power crackpots can't ignite a barbecue grill, yet they are great leaders and commanders.  ::)  ;D  ;D  ;D

And hell ya, it sure is fun to build one of these so it turnes into private property of some yelling Marlena.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 02:12:14 pm by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #91 on: January 18, 2021, 05:15:45 pm
Is this a Prozac moment?  ;D ;D ;D

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • A Simple Twist Of Fate
Reply #92 on: January 18, 2021, 06:09:20 pm

And hell ya, it sure is fun to build one of these so it turnes into private property of some yelling Marlena.

Yup, that's the problem now; they've all grown too close together now. Used to be so that very few could even HEAR Marlena. You gotta go further and further away nowadays to be further and further away.
'08 Black AVL Classic.ACEhead 9.8:1/manifold/canister. TM32/Open short bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #93 on: January 18, 2021, 06:37:35 pm
Is this a Prozac moment?  ;D ;D ;D

I think they take something else in Sweden, I don't remember what....the diversity is very large.  ;)
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: January 18, 2021, 06:55:34 pm

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: January 18, 2021, 08:28:28 pm
The Russians have become great entrepreneurs by the way. Once Gretas are finished with the "fossil fuel" economy they have the solutions already available. Brehmen, Hamburg, Amsterdam, Oslo, Stockholm....just park it in the harbour.  ;)

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russias-floating-nuclear-plant-heads-for-the-arctic-amid-geopolitical-and-environmental-concerns

Or do you think Bill Gates will build some? That would cost money..
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #96 on: January 19, 2021, 02:13:01 am
Good idea. Article was from May 22, 2018. The Akademik Lomonosov became operational 19 Dec 2019. A 70 MW RosAtom combined heat & power plant. These are PWR's. Nothing to burn like the RBMK's, self contained loops. Ship to shore power cabling has been perfected since the 1940's.

Nov2018 article: Chinese Floating NPP:    https://www.belfercenter.org/publication/chinas-planned-floating-nuclear-power-facilities-south-china-sea-technical-and

Jan 2020 Article: Russian & Chinese Floating NPP:https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a30731226/floating-nuclear-power-plants/

Dec 2020 Article: Russian & Danish Floating NPP:https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/17/floating-mini-nukes-could-power-countries-by-2025-says-startup

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #97 on: January 26, 2021, 10:47:07 pm
Here is another example of big government at work. As usual the example is from California:  According to an article in my newspaper today, written by George Avalos of the Bay Area News Group, the state's Employment Development Department (EDD) says that $11 Billion of fraud has been sucked up by scammers and crime rings. And the cost could be as high as $30 Billion. The Federal pandemic unemployment relief money was sent to rings operating out of Nigeria, China and Russia (no mention was made of North Korea - so far  ::) ) that unleashed a wave of fraud that focused on California's unemployment benefits as their most tempting target. Apparently the department handed out the money as fast as they could without verifying who it was going to. The state has already acknowledged that it has paid about $400 million in the names of prison inmates.  Easy come, easy go, I guess.  >:(

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: January 27, 2021, 12:12:54 am
Why do you persist in posting unreferenced claims? Are we all supposed to just blindly agree with you that the "Gummint" is always bad/incompetent/screwing us over? It's not rocket science to copy the link and paste it into the message. Not doing so just says you aren't being forthcoming with the data. Things are usually less exciting when all the data is presented. EDD just failed to adequately perform its function in an emergency situation, but now steps are being taken to remediate that. The feedback-loop is working. "Easy come, easy go, I guess." is pretty dismissive. With even a cursory examination it looks like "big gummint'" does have some corrective measures in place & functioning; apparently they ARE at work. The "Hair On Fire" numbers reported are about a "whopping" 10% of all the claims processed by EDD during an emergency. The other 17%/$30B was just a CYA possibility by Julie Su. About 5% of that is just folks that didn't really understand the paperwork. I'm all good with opinions about motorcycles, but when you drag in politics and start flinging shade on the processes that we all have to live under without offering either documentation or solutions, that's not helpful.

Was this the article?
https://www.dailybreeze.com/2021/01/26/edd-call-center-woes-unemployment-backlog-fraud-audit-jobs-layoff/
Or This?
https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/01/25/edd-27-of-california-unemployment-payments-could-be-fraudulent-state-says/
“Roughly 10% of the $114 billion in claims are confirmed fraudulent, another 17% are potentially fraudulent,” California Labor Secretary Julie Su said during a question-and-answer session regarding the EDD’s efforts to combat unemployment insurance fraud. If 27 percent of the claims are determined to be fraudulent, that would amount to more than $30 billion.
Crime rings operating out of Nigeria, China and Russia have unleashed a wave of fraud that has focused on California’s unemployment benefits as their most tempting target.
The state has already acknowledged that it has paid about $400 million in the names of prison inmates, and last month, federal prosecutors charged a former state labor agency worker, a prison inmate and a parolee in a scheme to defraud California’s scandal-scarred unemployment insurance system.
In October, the EDD launched a new identity verification technology called ID.me that the state government hopes will help turn the corner against fraudulent payments. Blake Hall, chief executive officer with ID.me, believes progress has been made.
“California was able to stop the bleeding and put a tourniquet on the fraud,” Hall said.

It’s not surprising that the crime rings picked California, whose economy is one of the world’s largest, as a target to exploit unemployment insurance payments.
“In California, it’s easier to hide in the crowd,” Hall said. “Organized crime is approaching this as a business process.”

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/01/26/edd-fraud-millions-may-have-to-repay-california-jobless-aid-auditor-says/
" On Monday, California Labor Secretary Julie Su estimated the state has paid $11.4 billion in fraudulent claims during the pandemic, representing 10% of the more than $114 billion in benefits paid since March. "
" The Employment Development Department has been under intense pressure by state lawmakers and the public to more quickly process benefits during the pandemic. The agency’s rush to do that, along with Congress approving a major expansion of benefits with few eligibility safeguards, have made the agency — and others like it in states across the country — an easy target for fraud. "

https://www.abc10.com/article/money/edd-prisoner-fraud/103-88847056-81d8-4264-8b48-c171add0b76f
25 Jan 2021 : District Attorneys holding EDD accountable after inmates receive unemployment benefits
" Two months after district attorneys from across California announced widespread unemployment fraud in prisons, the scope of the investigation continues to grow. "

And for Nationwide scams:
https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2020/12/30/unemployment-fraud-how-international-scammers-took-36-b-us/3960263001/
How scammers siphoned $36B in fraudulent unemployment payments from US
" In a Zoom session with the camera turned off, Mayowa describes how he scoops up U.S. unemployment benefits fattened by COVID-19 relief, an international imposter attack that has contributed to at least $36 billion being siphoned away from out-of-work Americans. "

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: January 27, 2021, 01:14:21 am
It sounds like you said just what I said only with a lot more words. California's government is just inefficient and dysfunctional from my perspective as someone who has been living here for 76 years.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: January 27, 2021, 02:01:21 am
" California's government is just inefficient and dysfunctional from my perspective as someone who has been living here for 76 years." That's a flat statement implying that nothing in government works or will improve.

I pointed out that the feedback loop here was working - the EDD is being looked at and will be fixed. It should improve over time. I also pointed out that the EDD failure rate was actually about 10%; this meant their "success rate was close to 90%.

Finding and fixing your mistakes isn't dysfunctional. A 90% success rate isn't inefficient. 9 out of 10 folks got what they needed in a time of high demand.

Can things be improved? Always. Assuming that they won't or can't isn't helpful or realistic. What would your solution be?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: January 27, 2021, 02:39:27 pm
I have been paying state and federal income taxes, which are based upon total income, for over 55 years. Right now I am paying about 13% of my gross income to the state of California each year and 25% of my income to the Federal government. Add to that 10% sales tax on everything I buy except for food and a few other items that are exempt from that tax. Then there are property taxes amounting to thousands of dollars each year, plus other taxes and fees tacked on to the yearly property tax, which include paying off bonds for four overlapping school districts, school district parcel taxes, storm water fees (used to be included in gas taxes), and then there are a long list of federal, state and local taxes and fees stuck on to all of my utility services, and yearly DMV registration fees amounting to hundreds of dollars for each vehicle, which include other fees "requested by your local county". Those are just the ones that I can think off off of the top of my head. I have no doubt there are many more fees and taxes that residents of this state pay all the time without even noticing.

California is said to have the heaviest total tax burden of any state in the union. Maybe not as high as Sweden, but I bet it is pretty close. So I feel justified in requesting that my tax money to be spent wisely and efficiently and not to be given away to criminals residing in jail, to Nigerian Princes  ::), random Russian hackers and other scammers. The EDD has been having this problem for at least the past 6 months and every time they catch one scammer feeding at their trough, another one shows up. (The fact that they contracted with Bank of America to make the payouts doesn't seem to help matters much either.) They just don't seem to have a system to weed out people who don't deserve the pandemic handouts before they send out the money. The only people who really seem to be locked into the payment system and can't get out are the people who really need the money, but who don't seem to be as knowledgeable regarding how to navigate the EDD's application system as do criminals. What a mess!   >:(

Another example of the state government inefficiency is that the last time I visited a DMV office to renew my license, which I have to do every 5 years, I had 90 days before my license expired after receiving the paperwork. I tried to get an appointment at six different DMV offices in my area and all were booked up past when my license expired. I finally found an office 45 miles away and got in there a couple of weeks before my license expired. Because I had an appointment, it only took an hour for me to finish having my license renewed (requiring an eye test, a written test and a new license photo), but there was a long line of people who did not have an appointment that stretched outside the building and wrapped around two sides of it waiting to get in. Things are supposed to have improved at the DMV lately. I sure hope so, but I have my doubts as they are having to deal with the Real ID problem, along with the pandemic, so I wouldn't be surprised if the motor vehicle offices get overwhelmed again once the pandemic finally ends. You would think that with the huge number of drivers in California that the DMV could think up a more efficient system to provide services. When I pass by DMV offices in other states I don't see any lines and the offices look pretty quiet to me.  ???
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 03:33:08 pm by Richard230 »

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #102 on: January 27, 2021, 05:28:24 pm

I see long lines at my DMV here too. I walk past them whenever I go to the desk for those who made appointments. Puzzling.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 05:35:40 pm by Stanley »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #103 on: January 27, 2021, 07:23:34 pm
@ # 101 by Richard230:
Very well composed arguments & observations - that's the R230 we all remember - A pleasure to read!

Only about 50 years of tax payment history myself. I miss Arizona's $35/yearly registration fees for older vehicles, the $200/yearly for liability insurance, etc., but I lived on a dirt road, there were no sidewalks, no sewer system (septic tanks), no natural gas service (propane only), no water service (private well only), no street lights, no traffic signals. Food & fuel costs were actually higher in the rural areas as everything is "imported". Local area roads were pretty rough except for the I40 from Needles to Kingman and the 95 to Las Vegas.

The population density is much less in Arizona than California also (7M vs. 40M), which generally means less waiting in lines (except for Social Security Check day twice a month at the grocery store). The Arizona DMV experience is better, depending on when you go. As a retiree you can usually schedule around the crowd. As most folks in our area were retirees, there were fewer school taxes but no shortage of mostly retired California & Washington geezers complaining about subsidizing "other peoples kids". I'm not sure who these folks thought paid school taxes when they were growing up.

Every where you choose to live there are pros & cons. Arizona infrastructure & social services are nowhere near what California has, except perhaps inside the cities of Phoenix & Tucson. At about 1/6th the population, we average about 15 square miles of state per person vs. 4 sq. mi. or so in California, so similar infrastructure would be very costly per capita.

I chose to retire here for the climate & location. I pay my "biggo box" of Property tax yearly for the privilege of squatting on my own acreage. I still don't have any infrastructure, but pay state & local taxes just like I do. Here I can grow a few fruit trees, battle gophers for my garden, watch the foothills change color seasonally, enjoy a parade of wildlife helping the gophers finish off the garden remnants, all at sane temperatures (105 is a real hot day here vs. 125 in the shade), and watch actual rainfall (maybe 20"-30" yearly vs. 2"), and still have enough brush between  me and my neighbors that we don't see each other except at the local grocery store.

It's pretty easy to up stakes & move to a lower cost of living area, and Arizona is certainly full of expats. Houses are selling well right now, that'd finance a nice "casa grande" in a lot of other cheaper, less regulated places to live with lots left over. Life's too short to be miserable. If you aren't happy where you are, change it while you can. We need to spend our remaining time doing what makes us happy, not grinding our guts on stuff we can't really change in the time we have left.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #104 on: January 27, 2021, 10:25:03 pm
I sometimes fantasize about living out in the boondocks where there are actual seasons, real weather and neighbors who don't always stay inside their homes and ignore you and everyone else around them. But I lived here all of my life, my family lives just a 60-minute ride away and the weather is perfect for riding a motorcycle almost every day, even during the winter. But then I do have to put up with crowds, highway congestion, high taxes, a large homeless population (some just down on the luck and others drug addicts or just plain nuts) and a politically-correct social environment that I just don't understand. (The San Francisco School District just passed a requirement demanding that 42 schools in the city be renamed by April because they discovered that the historical people that they were named after did things that would not be socially acceptable in SF nowadays.  ???) I appear to be stuck in a self-made rut that I just can't bring myself to leave.

I might add that it is mind boggling how much ticky-tacky boxy home prices on 5000 sf lots are here now, too. My home sold in 1971 for $35K and homes in my area are now going for $1.3-1.5 million. How can anyone possibly afford those kind of prices? But they do. Homes rarely stay on the market more than a couple of weeks around here.  ???
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:45:08 pm by Richard230 »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #105 on: January 28, 2021, 12:52:17 am
There's a reason lots of folks end up in Green Valley Az or in New Mexico. The GV folks get lots of tropical adjacent weather and are close to Algodones, gateway to thrifty medical supplies. A couple months in a borrowed motorhome might be instructive. About 9 months a year of good weather, then go visit your kids/relatives/friends in Washington in Juiy, August & September.  ;D

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #106 on: March 10, 2021, 02:23:22 pm
California's residents have come up with a plan to defeat the pandemic in his state. They have threatened to recall the Governor, who suddenly started to allow the opening of schools, sports and various other activities that had been restricted until it looked like the recall attempt had assembled enough signatures to get it on the ballot later this year. Nothing can get a politician to move fast like fear of loosing their job.  ::)

Still, you really can't beat Texas's Governor. He really knows how to move fast when it comes to defeating the pandemic. News reports today say that he has removed all pandemic restrictions and regulations in the state. And he didn't even do that under the thread of a recall. Time to head for the bars and grab those big mugs of draft Budweiser, Coors and Black Label beer.  ;D

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #107 on: March 10, 2021, 04:48:31 pm
California's residents have come up with a plan to defeat the pandemic in his state. They have threatened to recall the Governor, who suddenly started to allow the opening of schools, sports and various other activities that had been restricted until it looked like the recall attempt had assembled enough signatures to get it on the ballot later this year. Nothing can get a politician to move fast like fear of loosing their job.  ::)

Still, you really can't beat Texas's Governor. He really knows how to move fast when it comes to defeating the pandemic. News reports today say that he has removed all pandemic restrictions and regulations in the state. And he didn't even do that under the thread of a recall. Time to head for the bars and grab those big mugs of draft Budweiser, Coors and Black Label beer.  ;D

Texas sounds like a reasonable place....
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #108 on: March 10, 2021, 07:08:16 pm
Wearing Masks too much effort? A'skeered of vaccination? Over 65? Overweight or have breathing issues? The ER is standing by. Maybe you'll get lucky.
This is Darwinian selection in action. Texas is a long way from Alemanni, bring lederhosen, SPF 60, a sombrero and join the unmasked antivaxxer crowd. Maybe Ted Cruz will clear the way for you.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #109 on: March 10, 2021, 07:34:11 pm
Wearing Masks too much effort? A'skeered of vaccination? Over 65? Overweight or have breathing issues? The ER is standing by. Maybe you'll get lucky.
This is Darwinian selection in action. Texas is a long way from Alemanni, bring lederhosen, SPF 60, a sombrero and join the unmasked antivaxxer crowd. Maybe Ted Cruz will clear the way for you.

Actually, not at all. I wear a mask all day long. However I am not allowed to wear a mask in the car because the fine people from the police would not be able to identify my face when they would want to send me a speeding ticket. So the solution is plain an simple -> Wear the mask in the car, and trow it in the bin during the day.  ;)
"Ignorance is strength"

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #110 on: March 10, 2021, 07:37:38 pm
Texas sounds like a reasonable place....

Until you get your electric bill. It's an interesting place to visit, especially the Hill country, but live there? NFW.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #111 on: March 10, 2021, 07:45:03 pm
Until you get your electric bill. It's an interesting place to visit, especially the Hill country, but live there? NFW.

What´s wrong with the e-bill ? ....I think Texas sounds great, the Governor over there seems to be a real Statesman. I would elect him every day, it sounds however like Texas has the foot the bill for states with ridiculous energy policies like Kalifornia though.
"Ignorance is strength"

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #112 on: March 10, 2021, 09:45:10 pm
What´s wrong with the e-bill ? ....I think Texas sounds great, the Governor over there seems to be a real Statesman. I would elect him every day, it sounds however like Texas has the foot the bill for states with ridiculous energy policies like Kalifornia though.

They deregulated and cut themselves off from what passes as the national grid. During the recent outages the rates went through the roof, people that had been paying monthly bills of $160.00 or so got hit with bills for $6,000. As of last week the entire regulatory board has resigned, or maybe all but one, and the law suits are flying. The way the Texas grid is formulated nothing that happens anywhere else affects it. It's completely self contained, or 99% off it. California has it's own serious issues, and PSE&G will probably fall through it's own ass before next year, but it's problems don't have much to do with Texas.

AZCal has a much better grasp on the situation than I do, I'm about as far from Texas as you can get, and while we both worked in the industry, I was in T&D support, while he worked more with generation. Hopefully he can chime in and fill in the gaps.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: March 10, 2021, 10:32:50 pm
I also hear that Texas is still having problems with water delivery to their residents. The water system failed in some large areas during the big freeze and the pipes and pumps have still not been repaired. 2021 has been a tough year for the residents of
Texas. It will be interesting to see if Texas is considered a "super spreader" and anyone traveling from that state must be quarantined when they travel to states other than Missouri.  ???

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #114 on: March 10, 2021, 10:40:23 pm
I also hear that Texas is still having problems with water delivery to their residents. The water system failed in some large areas during the big freeze and the pipes and pumps have still not been repaired. 2021 has been a tough year for the residents of
Texas. It will be interesting to see if Texas is considered a "super spreader" and anyone traveling from that state must be quarantined when they travel to states other than Missouri.  ???

I'd forgot that part. I know Connecticut asks people to self quarantine if they're coming from Texas, I'd assume NY and NJ do also, but wouldn't swear to it.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #115 on: March 10, 2021, 11:27:19 pm
Zimmemr - I think you summed it up well. The power production private companies funneled extra money to bonuses & dividends, to hell with the peons and their petty "reliability" needs.

I'm convinced Derottone needs to become a Texas resident. Open carry, laissez faire electricity, low taxes, no emissions compliance in the back country, he adores the Gummint' there, looks like a perfect match. TexMex & BBQ makes really good chow, lots of Lonestar to worsh it down with, redfish to catch in the Gulf, bass in the sloughs, African game farms for the ambitious. There is of course the language barrier, and summers may be a bit warmer than he's used to, but that's why we have AC and Google. Can't wait to see pitchers of thet there 535 with a biggo' nickel-plated hogleg strapped across the handlebars.

I'm waiting for the lawsuits to start from neighboring states when C19 outbreaks happen along the shared borders. We just got vaccines in real production and now have an actual injection plan, but we're not at 70% yet. The Israeli “green pass” vaccine passport tech will likely be driven here out of self preservation against places like Texas & Mississippi.

At some point the residents will tire of being Republican gaming pieces and push back. Texan's aren't going to like being run by proxy from Florida.  Having a politically connected & supported "rape 'n pillage" private grid and unmaintained water infrastructure really gets folks where they live. They'll be extra mad when the "private" utilities float a publicly funded bond to repair the freeze damaged "private" infrastructure. Can we say "municipalization"?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #116 on: March 10, 2021, 11:37:55 pm
I read an article last week that said that Texas's utility problems will become much worse in the future. Unfortunately, I can't recall the details of why this will be.  ???

In local news: I was out for a walk today and noticed one home with a large banner draped from their second story saying something like "Trump for 2024. Take back America again."   :o

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #117 on: March 11, 2021, 12:55:15 am
Hmmm..."Make Amurrika Great Again Again"; remind me of who's been driving for the last four years??  Ya just gotta laugh... :o 8)

And then there's this:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-56342311
China and Russia have announced plans to build a lunar space station.
Russian space agency Roscosmos says it has signed an agreement with China's National Space Administration to develop research facilities on the surface of the moon, in orbit or both.
A statement from both countries' space agencies says it will be available for use by other nations.
It comes as Russia prepares to celebrate the 60th anniversary of its first-ever manned space flight.
The International Scientific Lunar Station will carry out a wide range of scientific research including exploration and utilisation of the moon, a statement from both agencies said.
"China and Russia will use their accumulated experience in space science, research and development and use of space equipment and space technology to jointly develop a road map for the construction of an international lunar scientific research station," the statement (in Mandarin) said.
It added that both Russia and China will collaborate in the planning, design, development and operation of the research station.
Chen Lan, an analyst who specialises in China's space programme, told AFP news agency that the project was a "big deal".
"This will be the largest international space cooperation project for China, so it's significant," he said.
China is a relatively late bloomer when it comes to the world of space exploration but last December its Chang'e-5 probe successfully brought back rock and "soil" it picked up from the moon. At the time it was seen as another demonstration of the country's increasing capability in space.
Russia, which pioneered space exploration, has been eclipsed by China and the United States in recent years. Last year it lost its monopoly on taking astronauts to the International Space station following SpaceX's successful launch.
The US has announced plans to return to the moon by 2024. The programme, called Artemis, will see a man and woman step on the lunar surface in what would be the first landing with humans since 1972.

Russia (CCCP) is still the only country to have ever landed a probe on Venus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venera#The_Venera_probes

The moon definitely has military value, and possibly commercial value too if the talk about Helium 3 is true.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Is_a_Harsh_Mistress#:~:text=The%20Moon%20Is%20a%20Harsh%20Mistress%20is%20a%201966%20science,expresses%20and%20discusses%20libertarian%20ideals.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #118 on: March 11, 2021, 02:10:34 am
Zimmemr - I think you summed it up well. The power production private companies funneled extra money to bonuses & dividends, to hell with the peons and their petty "reliability" needs.

I'm convinced Derottone needs to become a Texas resident. Open carry, laissez faire electricity, low taxes, no emissions compliance in the back country, he adores the Gummint' there, looks like a perfect match. TexMex & BBQ makes really good chow, lots of Lonestar to worsh it down with, redfish to catch in the Gulf, bass in the sloughs, African game farms for the ambitious. There is of course the language barrier, and summers may be a bit warmer than he's used to, but that's why we have AC and Google. Can't wait to see pitchers of thet there 535 with a biggo' nickel-plated hogleg strapped across the handlebars.

I'm waiting for the lawsuits to start from neighboring states when C19 outbreaks happen along the shared borders. We just got vaccines in real production and now have an actual injection plan, but we're not at 70% yet. The Israeli “green pass” vaccine passport tech will likely be driven here out of self preservation against places like Texas & Mississippi.

At some point the residents will tire of being Republican gaming pieces and push back. Texan's aren't going to like being run by proxy from Florida.  Having a politically connected & supported "rape 'n pillage" private grid and unmaintained water infrastructure really gets folks where they live. They'll be extra mad when the "private" utilities float a publicly funded bond to repair the freeze damaged "private" infrastructure. Can we say "municipalization"?

It's hard to take Texas and their Republican administration seriously. Not only do they have an irresponsible and damn near unmanageable grid, and a water utility that looks like it was put together with Home Depot left overs, but when the shit hit the fan, the guys throwing the shit all left town. Including their fair haired senator. Say what you want about Cruz, when the going gets tough Ted got going. I can't believe they didn't ride his sorry ass out of town on a rail.

I think Derottone would love it down there, at least until he ran into a herd of German tourists at the Alamo.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #119 on: March 11, 2021, 07:24:52 am
 ;D ....i can't know, I trust your judgments. Sounds like some typical issues of oil ritch countries.

What I hope though is that our politicos we won't need to see such economic desperation in order to declare victory over the virus.
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #120 on: March 11, 2021, 08:49:48 am
Virus? What virus? I don't see no stinking virus. No reason to mask up if there's no virus, right? It's all a Democrat hoax to suppress the sales of small businesses making coffins! As George Castanza said "It's not a lie if you believe it!".

As long as you are part of the 50% that aren't affected by C19, no problemo anyway, right? If you are affected, why are you inconveniently bothering others? The GOP wants you weaklings to politely crawl off under a bush and die. That's the "Invisible Hand of the Free market" in action I guess, or maybe the "Golden Rule: them what has the gold makes the rules". Cut back healthcare for the hoi polloi, that's just money wasted. Maybe they do vote, but when did they ever attend a $25,000 a plate fundraiser?

With an average 7 or 8 figure net worth and premium Government health care on tap, it's hard to see a virus problem from the GOP side of the House or Senate. Or from Miralago either, I suppose. All the while they're marching in lockstep towards a new Viertes Reich and pretending they aren't. Not one GOP Congressman voted for HR1, a bill with over 70% positive ratings among all voters, but several of these no-voters are extolling it's benefits to their constituents; now THAT's some cognitive dissonance!.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #121 on: March 11, 2021, 08:59:55 am
Virus? What virus? I don't see no stinking virus. No reason to mask up if there's no virus, right? It's all a Democrat hoax to suppress the sales of small businesses making coffins! As George Castanza said "It's not a lie if you believe it!".

As long as you are part of the 50% that aren't affected by C19, no problemo anyway, right? If you are affected, why are you inconveniently bothering others? The GOP wants you weaklings to politely crawl off under a bush and die. That's the "Invisible Hand of the Free market" in action I guess, or maybe the "Golden Rule: them what has the gold makes the rules". Cut back healthcare for the hoi polloi, that's just money wasted. Maybe they do vote, but when did they ever attend a $25,000 a plate fundraiser?

With an average 7 or 8 figure net worth and premium Government health care on tap, it's hard to see a virus problem from the GOP side of the House or Senate. Or from Miralago either, I suppose. All the while they're marching in lockstep towards a new Viertes Reich and pretending they aren't. Not one GOP Congressman voted for HR1, a bill with over 70% positive ratings among all voters, but several of these no-voters are extolling it's benefits to their constituents; now THAT's some cognitive dissonance!.

That´s not the invisible hand of the market, that´s the invisible hand of the primitive worldview only gold = money bullshit promoters. Everything will collapse, ONLY gold will maintain value BS, sounds like right out of the mouth of the GLOBAL WARMING scammers = fossile free is the future BS. A little virus has to rule our lives BS. A thousend of engineers required to determine the torque on your cars wheel bolt BS.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 09:08:17 am by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #122 on: March 11, 2021, 09:08:51 am
It's certainly the worldview that everyone outside "my core group" becomes a consumable resource, a fungible asset, not a person.
That viewpoint has led to lots of social upheaval when the outsiders come to realize they are "food" for the insiders.
Why can't we all just get along? :o

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #123 on: March 11, 2021, 09:26:50 am
It's certainly the worldview that everyone outside "my core group" becomes a consumable resource, a fungible asset, not a person.
That viewpoint has led to lots of social upheaval when the outsiders come to realize they are "food" for the insiders.
Why can't we all just get along? :o

I don´t know, I do understand though that if if you have the "gold" promoters on one side and the "global warming" promoters on the other and you work on something like a H2 plant than you are more likely to jump on the "global warming" bandwagon because they suggest that they care for alternative energy sources, which they don´t by the way. When you work in the car industry your motivation is most likely to provide customer satisfaction and hopefully make a buck, however what than happens is that they put a "global warming" lable onto it and claim it their victory. Like it reduces polution and CO2 which was never the motivation behind anything.
"Ignorance is strength"

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #124 on: March 11, 2021, 02:29:11 pm
The reason that 70% of the U.S. public supports the Democrats' free-money-for-almost-everyone law is that they will be receiving lots of free money without having to work for it. Who wouldn't support something like that? It is likely that once that cash is spent there will be another demand for even more free money.  ::) 

I have yet to hear a single politician, news commentator, or economist say how the $1.9 Trillion and last year's $.9 Trillion will be paid for. As I see it there are only three ways to pay that bill. You can borrow the money and pay it back later with interest. You can raise taxes to pay down the national debt. Or you can just print money, don't worry about paying it back and let someone else (such as that famous guy behind the tree) deal with inflation as the dollar looses value and prices rise in the future. Now I wonder which option will U.S. politicians of both parties choose?  ;)

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #125 on: March 11, 2021, 02:37:03 pm
The reason that 70% of the U.S. public supports the Democrats' free-money-for-almost-everyone law is that they will be receiving lots of free money without having to work for it. Who wouldn't support something like that? It is likely that once that cash is spent there will be another demand for even more free money.  ::) 

I have yet to hear a single politician, news commentator, or economist say how the $1.9 Trillion and last year's $.9 Trillion will be paid for. As I see it there are only three ways to pay that bill. You can borrow the money and pay it back later with interest. You can raise taxes to pay down the national debt. Or you can just print money, don't worry about paying it back and let someone else (such as that famous guy behind the tree) deal with inflation as the dollar looses value and prices rise in the future. Now I wonder which option will U.S. politicians of both parties choose?  ;)

A trillion here, a trillion there, pretty soon we'll be talking real money. I recall reading an article about the British war effort and recovery during the WWII, and the need for post war austerity. The upshot was that in one year, I don't recall which, but 1949 rings a bell, the British deficit at the end of fiscal year was five pounds and the nation went nuts demanding it be zero. Would that we had that kind of will power here.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #126 on: March 11, 2021, 06:17:58 pm
R230 - the cost of the 2020 CARES act was $2.2 Trillion, not $0.9 Trillion.
Where was all of this fiscal angst when Trumps GOP minions were busy handing out free money to Corporate America?
The upcoming foreclosure avalanche will be some real fun. If the current Admin can forestall that bit of business, we won't have to relive 1929.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/26/821457551/whats-inside-the-senate-s-2-trillion-coronavirus-aid-package

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CARES_Act

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #127 on: March 12, 2021, 03:07:21 pm
R230 - the cost of the 2020 CARES act was $2.2 Trillion, not $0.9 Trillion.
Where was all of this fiscal angst when Trumps GOP minions were busy handing out free money to Corporate America?
The upcoming foreclosure avalanche will be some real fun. If the current Admin can forestall that bit of business, we won't have to relive 1929.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/26/821457551/whats-inside-the-senate-s-2-trillion-coronavirus-aid-package

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CARES_Act

Well if you wan´t to exterminate half the population in a stalinistic manner under the pretence of global warming than it´s going to cost something obviously.
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #128 on: March 12, 2021, 04:39:21 pm
" Well, if you want to exterminate half the population in a Stalinistic manner under the pretense of global warming, then it's going to cost something, obviously. "
Whaaat?
Quite the "non sequitur" there.
The "poor man's atom bomb" is accessible to any country with a Freshman College level biology programme. Distribution is assured by modern air travel.
We've just seen a dry run of a disease with maybe a 1% lethality. Look at the chaos. There are innumerable more possible pathogens, many with a 50% - 80% lethality.
Why would you possibly think that you'd have to spend 4 trillion dollars to do it? Maybe $500K for a lab & air fare and it'd done.
That's why the media focus is on nuclear weapon proliferation, don't want to worry folks about a very real but indefensible threat. How much threat really is a kiloton device with "Fed-Ex and a seatrain/connex" as a delivery system when you have thousands of megatons of ballistic weapons ready to respond? Even for North Korea the only real threat is from pissing off China if you shoot their junkyard dog.
And why would the folks with real money want to exterminate half the "minion" base anyway? Who'd clean up after them? Who'd be left to grub in the dirt for pennies a day to enrich them?
No Derottone, you don't need to spend 4 trillion dollars to achieve a 50% population reduction, and it would be very bad for business if you did. Rest assured no one at the top wants the party to end.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #129 on: March 12, 2021, 05:09:00 pm
I think you highly underestimating that venture, 4 trillion would not be enough in the age of information to get rid of all the evidence. It´s tough enough to sell the deadly virus, even tougher the "voluntary" counter messures.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 05:12:27 pm by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #130 on: March 12, 2021, 07:58:45 pm
Get rid of the evidence? That's normally left in plain sight as a lesson to others. Anyway, you'd just need to convince a whacko 3rd party to initiate a population "runback", no need to do it your self. "Time, distance & shielding resolve a multitude of ills." Old nuke-submariner aphorism.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #131 on: March 12, 2021, 08:36:14 pm
Get rid of the evidence? That's normally left in plain sight as a lesson to others. Anyway, you'd just need to convince a whacko 3rd party to initiate a population "runback", no need to do it your self. "Time, distance & shielding resolve a multitude of ills." Old nuke-submariner aphorism.

:o ....when you sit in a car with 3 or 4 passengers and fart, who smells it first?  ...you want to blow up a place, but you don't want to be accused of it so that you can take over the control, haven´t you learned anything about military strategy?  ;D

"Ignorance is strength"

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #132 on: March 12, 2021, 09:45:27 pm
When I take over the world I'm going to appoint ACR as my minister of defense. Derottone will be in charge of propaganda, Together we'll rule the universe.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #133 on: March 12, 2021, 10:34:34 pm
When I take over the world I'm going to appoint ACR as my minister of defense. Derottone will be in charge of propaganda, Together we'll rule the universe.

;D

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #134 on: March 12, 2021, 11:19:27 pm
@ # 131:  " you want to blow up a place, but you don't want to be accused of it so that you can take over the control, "
" you'd just need to convince a whacko 3rd party to initiate a population "runback", no need to do it your self. "

That's rather exactly what I said - let a 3rd party do the dirty work. No need to implicate yourself. For a double score, discover & eliminate the "perpetrator" yourself, winning the support of any survivors.

The beauty of bio-weapons is that they generally don't affect resources & infrastructure of the target/victim. That was the rationale behind the neutron bomb. The "Winner" just vaccinates, waits a month or so, then strolls in to claim the prize. Sun Tsu would be proud.

Zimmemr - no need for propaganda, as the victor gets to write the history, yes? Hopefully it won't be in Mandarin or Cantonese this time around...or Cyrillic.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #135 on: March 12, 2021, 11:26:10 pm
@ # 131:  " you want to blow up a place, but you don't want to be accused of it so that you can take over the control, "
" you'd just need to convince a whacko 3rd party to initiate a population "runback", no need to do it your self. "

That's rather exactly what I said - let a 3rd party do the dirty work. No need to implicate yourself. For a double score, discover & eliminate the "perpetrator" yourself, winning the support of any survivors.

The beauty of bio-weapons is that they generally don't affect resources & infrastructure of the target/victim. That was the rationale behind the neutron bomb. The "Winner" just vaccinates, waits a month or so, then strolls in to claim the prize. Sun Tsu would be proud.

Zimmemr - no need for propaganda, as the victor gets to write the history, yes? Hopefully it won't be in Mandarin or Cantonese this time around...or Cyrillic.

As minister of defense you get to make the call. Sorry derottone, you're out, how about we make you the minister of truth. All kidding aside my feeling is the next time we'll be lucky if there's anyone left to write anything.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #136 on: March 13, 2021, 12:09:38 am
Es verdad, senor.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:22:50 am by AzCal Retred »

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #137 on: March 13, 2021, 06:13:41 am
The barbarians that finally besieged rom didn't find much left, which suggests romanians did most of the work themselves. Now if you look at the humanitarian superpower of Sweden, everyone is a corruption fighter which is the reason nobody wants to do anything at all in that place because any buck that doesn't come directly as government hand out can be declared as corruption. Hell they can accuse you of doing black labour if you change a tire on your own car. There is absolutely no need for any barbarian invasion, it self-destructs. They invent routinely artificial enemies though to achieve little bit of unity. How about concentrating for one minute about what could be done and improved around you in the place you live instead, which is what supposedly Donald Trump ment when saying america first = taking care of your domestic issues and shit first before bothering with the next alien invasion from outer space. There was something wrong with that too of course as the hand out recievers all over the world immediately started to panic that they may have to move their arses, attacking anything productive and creative around them. And I don't mean the out of the job guy on benefits. Laughable, happy digging.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:11:30 am by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #138 on: March 13, 2021, 07:50:12 am

It won´t help you much because anyone aware would install a self-destructing routine to leave little behind.
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #139 on: March 13, 2021, 08:31:36 am
" supposedly Donald Trump ment when saying america first = taking care of your domestic issues "
You don't live in Sweden. You don't live in the USA. Trump never meant anything, he just wanted a pre-fab audience for another reality TV series and then accidentally won when millions of folks thought he was actually going to turn the clock back to 1950 for their benefit. He was the best Christmas present Xi Jinping and Putin ever had. Now we have internet bot-driven extremism and our Allies all think we're a nation of untrustworthy morons. The only America-firsting he did was in Covid-19 mortality. Almost 1/2 of the elected GOP regurgitates on command the idiotic litany that the election was stolen just to keep the minion army placated. I hope you know enough Russian to get by, you may need it soon if T90's & T14's start rolling south. NATO has a valid function for Germany as well as the USA.

" It won´t help you much because anyone aware would install a self-destructing routine to leave little behind. "
I assume you are referring to a Dr. Strangelove style "Doomsday Device"? Nobody does that outside of bad sci-fi movies. It would be an admission of failure. You are also conflating combat with warfare. The whole idea is to acquire resources.  Stalin's scorched earth was strategic withdrawal. The neutron bomb and bio-warfare are for resource acquisition. Fissiles leave a traceable fingerprint to the developer as well as they are generally pretty obvious when being deployed, bio-weapons less so. Different tactical uses.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #140 on: March 13, 2021, 09:12:19 am
Ah ja, ever since this corruption fighting other peoples property absorbing scum came around I'm only unlucky. What a coincidence, nobody needs that kind of partners, neither in the nato. That's true, I don't live in Sweden, neither are they at home here or anywhere else to do their shit there.

https://dfmp6mxm2h3d4nmvgapt7yc62y-adwhj77lcyoafdy-www-svt-se.translate.goog/nyheter/granskning/ug/ug-referens-the-scania-way
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:15:16 am by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #141 on: March 13, 2021, 10:24:09 am
...I'm waiting for the f×#'in envelopes, that went to the f#$€ers, cos I don't know what I'm doing.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 10:28:17 am by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #142 on: March 13, 2021, 11:58:31 am
...I'm waiting for the f×#'in envelopes, that went to the f#$€ers, cos I don't know what I'm doing.  ;)

...bull, not even a coffee I would take from them, that would cost ethernal thankfulness.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:15:40 pm by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #143 on: March 13, 2021, 05:15:06 pm
"You are about to enter another dimension. A dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop—The Twilight Zone."

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #144 on: March 13, 2021, 05:29:08 pm
I am here and now.  ;) ...I don't deal with shit heads.
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #145 on: March 13, 2021, 05:51:03 pm
If you aren't living in Sweden, so you don't have to. Let it go - don't let them continue to control you. Move on. We would all like that.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #146 on: March 13, 2021, 06:01:22 pm
If you aren't living in Sweden, so you don't have to. Let it go - don't let them continue to control you. Move on. We would all like that.

They are granted my eternal thankfulness, I can't help it.  ::)
"Ignorance is strength"

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #147 on: March 16, 2021, 07:12:37 pm
https://www.deccanherald.com/national/gadkari-denies-scania-bribery-allegations-960547.html

I tell you this is the story of our lifetime. Why don´t they put their own "fu"§$ing" chicken farms on fire. FxASDF "shit" heads. You could laugh your ass off.... just follow the story.  ;D ;D ;D
"Ignorance is strength"

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #148 on: March 16, 2021, 08:26:58 pm
https://www.deccanherald.com/national/gadkari-denies-scania-bribery-allegations-960547.html

I tell you this is the story of our lifetime. Why don´t they put their own "fu"§$ing" chicken farms on fire. FxASDF "shit" heads. You could laugh your ass off.... just follow the story.  ;D ;D ;D

What the hell, bribery makes the world go 'round. :o

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #149 on: March 16, 2021, 08:29:12 pm
What the hell, bribery makes the world go 'round. :o

....but those fuckers expect thankfullness for free.  ;)
"Ignorance is strength"

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #150 on: March 16, 2021, 10:03:47 pm
....but those fuckers expect thankfullness for free.  ;)

They do but that's human nature for you. The same but different as gramps use to say. Just when I think I've seen the worst, the dumbest or most vicious of acts someone always comes along and does one better. People can surprise you with random acts of kindness, but more often they tend to revert their basest impulses. I have a low bar when it comes to human nature, I always expect the worst, and I'm hardly ever surprised. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

There are way to many Greta's in this world, but very few Shayna Texters and in my opinion, the world is the worse for it. ;)

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #151 on: March 17, 2021, 09:56:25 am
Shayna Texters? ...is who? ...I don´t want to have Gretas all over the planet.  :o ;D ...I more of a family guy.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:04:19 am by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #152 on: March 17, 2021, 01:00:23 pm
Shayna Texters? ...is who? ...I don´t want to have Gretas all over the planet.  :o ;D ...I more of a family guy.

Shayna Texter is the fastest women flat track racer to ever sit on a bike, she's the daughter and granddaughter of well known American racers, and the brother of Cory Texter, a very fast production twins racer. Shayna is also married to Briar Bauman the current AFT Pro Twins Dirt track champ.
Shayna rides for KTM and last weekend won both rounds of the Volusia Half Mile. She's about as far from a Greta as you can get.

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #153 on: March 17, 2021, 01:30:13 pm
Shayna Texter is the fastest women flat track racer to ever sit on a bike, she's the daughter and granddaughter of well known American racers, and the brother of Cory Texter, a very fast production twins racer. Shayna is also married to Briar Bauman the current AFT Pro Twins Dirt track champ.
Shayna rides for KTM and last weekend won both rounds of the Volusia Half Mile. She's about as far from a Greta as you can get.

...maybe she should teach Greta how to ride a bike than.  ::)
"Ignorance is strength"

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #154 on: March 17, 2021, 01:36:21 pm

If she does she will be chasing you on your speeding noisy and polluting RE Bullet while riding her new all-electric police scooter. Will you be able to get away from her and her ticket book?  https://electricmotorcycles.news/niu-antwerpen-delivers-first-fleet-electric-scooters-for-brussels-hoofdstad-elsene-police/

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #155 on: March 17, 2021, 01:41:02 pm
Ok, I agree. Send them both to a baking competition.

I should be able to get away from a 45km/h scooter though.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 01:43:34 pm by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

Nitrowing

• Bulleteer
Reply #156 on: March 17, 2021, 02:06:36 pm
I should be able to get away from a 45km/h scooter though.
Just ride further than 100km  ;D
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #157 on: March 17, 2021, 02:28:11 pm

I've known Shayna since she was six, trust me she could teach all the Greta's a lot of things they might find useful. She's sure taken some of the best dirt trackers in the world to school.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #158 on: March 22, 2021, 01:40:25 pm
Here is another story from California that I heard yesterday from one of my riding friends:  My friend and his wife live in a beautiful home in the hills on the outskirts of the Greater Bay Area. They are looking to move nearer to the Bay where his daughter and her family live and have been checking out homes closer to San Francisco. Last week they were considering buying a home in El Cerrito, CA (a town just north of Oakland) which he said was not quite as nice as his home. He said that the owners of the property were asking $1.5 million for the home. The listing realtor gave potential buyers 3 days to make a bid for the home at which time the sealed bids would be opened and the new owner would be contacted, along with everyone who bid on the property. He said that the winning bid was $2.5 million:o  I bet even Greta and her minions couldn't afford to live around here.  ::)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #159 on: March 22, 2021, 04:51:12 pm

Corruption among Indian government officials!? Well clutch the pearls and say it ain't so! Not only isn't this "the story of our lifetime", I'd be astonished if it even made the "And Elsewhere" section of Well, Duh!, the quarterly journal of the obvious and self-evident. And when you look at this guy, Nitin Gadkari, tell me you wouldn't count the silverware after he came over for dinner. And has anyone else noticed his name is an anagram for "India Rat King"?

"How are you today? I am Roger calling to tell you that your vehicle's extended warranty is about to expire."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 07:39:33 pm by Bilgemaster »

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #160 on: March 22, 2021, 06:45:55 pm
I could laugh my ars off, all i need now is a dick.  ;D ;D ;D

....because I've got no balls.    :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 07:13:51 pm by derottone »
"Ignorance is strength"

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #161 on: March 22, 2021, 09:27:37 pm
I have always wanted to answer that robo call and ask them to renew the warranty of my 22-year old Saturn. But I never had the guts to do it.  I don't know what their gimmick is but I really don't want to be on their calling list any more than I already am.  ::)

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #162 on: March 22, 2021, 10:21:36 pm
What to trust anymore ???
"Ignorance is strength"

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #163 on: March 22, 2021, 11:56:09 pm
Corruption among Indian government officials!? Well clutch the pearls and say it ain't so! Not only isn't this "the story of our lifetime", I'd be astonished if it even made the "And Elsewhere" section of Well, Duh!, the quarterly journal of the obvious and self-evident. And when you look at this guy, Nitin Gadkari, tell me you wouldn't count the silverware after he came over for dinner. And has anyone else noticed his name is an anagram for "India Rat King"?

"How are you today? I am Roger calling to tell you that your vehicle's extended warranty is about to expire."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZiOgWmWhXs

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #164 on: March 23, 2021, 09:58:17 am
I have always wanted to answer that robo call and ask them to renew the warranty of my 22-year old Saturn. But I never had the guts to do it.  I don't know what their gimmick is but I really don't want to be on their calling list any more than I already am.  ::)

...some companies you would not want even a coffe from, 100% guaranteed.  ;)
"Ignorance is strength"

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #165 on: March 23, 2021, 04:15:15 pm
Answer the call in a foreign language, it's very entertaining to hear the sudden silence on the other end. If they call back in Spanish or German, start back in speaking English... ;D

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #166 on: March 23, 2021, 07:19:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZiOgWmWhXs

Mr. Ratt King looks rather sensible to me, looks like he is having lot of fun those days.
"Ignorance is strength"

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #167 on: March 25, 2021, 03:18:43 am
Indian training for working in a call centre taking calls from Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #168 on: March 25, 2021, 09:29:03 pm
Indian training for working in a call centre taking calls from Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI

Glenn: What a superb tip! And what is more, there's whole SERIES of those wonderous things AND a lovely dark series of the formative penal colony years of Oz titled, "Bruce" besides. It's all "Must-See TV", and you can count me among the subscribed. Thanks again, you balmy dongo!

Here's a link to their whole channel: https://youtube.com/c/HowToTalkAustralians

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #169 on: March 30, 2021, 01:17:19 am
The latest food product from California's laboratories according to this afternoon's TV news is plant-based egg and cheese. The four TV news personalities each ate a manufactured egg and cheese sandwich while reporting on the local news. They said that it tasted just like real egg and cheese - but apparently not chicken.   ;)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #170 on: April 03, 2021, 02:41:03 pm
An opinion article in my newspaper yesterday detailed a poll financed by an immigrant advocacy organization that said that 58% of the residents of California not only welcome "undocumented" (as in entered illegally) immigrants into the state, but also want their taxes to fund free universal medical care for them. That could be really expensive for a state that had a projected budget last year of $65 billion in the hole, until being bailed out by the federal government, but is also proposing many more expensive social programs that do not seem to have a permanent funding source. Maybe the general public in this state believes that a debt doesn't have to be paid back or that the Great Utopian State of Kaifornia prints its own money, just like the Federal government does.  ::)

In a related opinion article on the same page it was mentioned that another nationwide poll found that the majority of Americans are not worried about running up federal deficits and believe that the Federal Reserve will keep interest rates down to 2% and that there is nothing wrong with printing money to cover our debts. I wonder how China feels about that?  ::)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #171 on: April 04, 2021, 01:47:11 am
And today it was announced that a law has been submitted to the California state legislature that would create a "single payer' health care system, where all working residents of the state would pay taxes to support universal health care for everyone in the state (I assume legal or otherwise). The estimated cost per year is $450 billion. Right now there appears to be no estimate how much taxes would have to be raised to fund the program and who would pay these taxes - individuals and/or businesses.   ??? Meanwhile, both large corporations and wealthy individuals are steadily moving out of the state to jurisdictions with lower taxes and fewer regulations.   :(  I wonder when California will build a wall along its border to keep its residents in the state to fund its expensive "progressive" programs?   ::)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 02:41:16 am by Richard230 »

nicholastanguma

• Bulleteer
Reply #172 on: April 13, 2021, 12:47:08 pm
In general I find it better if Gretas keep building stuff like this than going into drugs for example or becoming just another leadership minion, the minor issue though is that if it doesn't become the greatest market success possible Gretas are going to cry to their mamas and they are going to lynch anyone whom they figure to be responsible for failing to sell this bike to every single soul on the planets surface, taking the "help" from the government too, trying to mandate it on everyone except themselves. As I had the fortune to witness several times. ;D

How is it a Swede is possessed of so much good sense, sir?  The more I read of your posts on this forum the more I am convinced you cannot possibly be an actual Swede, for as a conservative American I know for a fact the Swedes are a uniformly brainwashed species of creature with absolutely no grasp of moral decency or simple rational sense.

What's going on with you?

Or, perhaps I am actually WRONG about all the Swedes being worshippers of the young foolish freshfaced harpy Thunberg and her ilk?  Are there some Swedes that...dare I say it...dare I hope it...are not of the self brainwashed self righteous virtue signalling demonic persuasion?   ;)

nicholastanguma

• Bulleteer
Reply #173 on: April 13, 2021, 01:02:01 pm
And today it was announced that a law has been submitted to the California state legislature that would create a "single payer' health care system, where all working residents of the state would pay taxes to support universal health care for everyone in the state (I assume legal or otherwise). The estimated cost per year is $450 billion. Right now there appears to be no estimate how much taxes would have to be raised to fund the program and who would pay these taxes - individuals and/or businesses.   ??? Meanwhile, both large corporations and wealthy individuals are steadily moving out of the state to jurisdictions with lower taxes and fewer regulations.   :(  I wonder when California will build a wall along its border to keep its residents in the state to fund its expensive "progressive" programs?   ::)

Remember a few months ago when Nuissance Newsom had to make that PSA admitting California's renewable energy infrastructure was not sufficient to keep the state powered during the wildfires...this after the rolling brownouts had already made the situation utterly apparent to absolutely everyone, even the idiots in Hollywood?

And remember when a few weeks later he made another PSA stating he had signed an EO that California would be entirely free of internal combustion engine passenger and commercial vehicles by something like 2035, thereby forcing everyone to switch to electric transportation?

I suppose he just decided that by something like 2035 California's rolling brownouts will have become official state policy, just so everyone can have a half hour's worth of charge for their cars every night, lol.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #174 on: April 13, 2021, 02:21:22 pm

Remember a few months ago when Nuissance Newsom had to make that PSA admitting California's renewable energy infrastructure was not sufficient to keep the state powered during the wildfires...this after the rolling brownouts had already made the situation utterly apparent to absolutely everyone, even the idiots in Hollywood?

And remember when a few weeks later he made another PSA stating he had signed an EO that California would be entirely free of internal combustion engine passenger and commercial vehicles by something like 2035, thereby forcing everyone to switch to electric transportation?

I suppose he just decided that by something like 2035 California's rolling brownouts will have become official state policy, just so everyone can have a half hour's worth of charge for their cars every night, lol.

It is a good thing that Californians' memories about what their politicians say only lasts 24 hours.   ;)

I used to attend all of the Planning Commission meetings in the city that I worked for as part of my engineering division duties - just in case a commission member wanted to know why water flows down hill.  ;)  I was amazed that when the secretary of the commission would read the written minutes of the last meeting to the commission so that they could formally approve them that there would sometimes be a commission member who would object when he or she realized that something that he or she had said during the previous meeting was either wrong or politically incorrect. He or she would want the written minutes changed to reflect what he or she wished she or he had said and not what they actually said. I was impressed how history could be changed by someone who was keeping an eye on which way the political winds were blowing.   ::)

Of course, this is nothing new. Politicians and despots have been doing this sort of thing since the stone age and then rewriting the history books (or before the written word, verbal stores and songs) so that future generations would not know what had happened in the past that they didn't want them to know.   :(

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #175 on: April 13, 2021, 02:37:58 pm
My post above reminded me of a wonderful political story: During the late 1970's the members of the city council of the city that I worked for were all Italian-American local businessmen. They had hired an Italian-American architect to redesign the main street that went in front of City hall and where all of their businesses were located. This street was two lanes wide, with diagonal parking along each side (with parking meters, of course). The street had a slope of about 6%. The architect showed off his plan to convert the main drag into a canal with gondolas running up and down the street.  :o  The only issue with this design was there there were no locks shown on the plan and no source of water to fill the canal and no way to keep it filled. But architects typically don't care to worry about these sort of details.

The city council loved the idea and wanted to proceed with the plan. That was until the city engineer took each of them aside (you don't step on political toes in public) and explained that water only flowed downhill and the plan was not all that workable. Besides when visitors couldn't drive their cars downtown and park directly in front of their businesses, that would be a financial issue for them.  ;) So eventually a new architect with an engineer on their staff was hired to work on another plan. That one eventually fell apart also, this time due to construction practicalities. We ended up completing the construction drawings and putting the street improvement plans out to bid ourselves. It eventually was built, but a lot of money and time was wasted along the way.  ::)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #176 on: April 13, 2021, 03:25:58 pm
OK, so it's not Sweden or California, but rather takes place in Norway, but those with the HBO Max streaming service might enjoy an odd little series produced by HBO Europe rather cleverly titled, Beforeigners. The main concept is that individuals from the the Stone Age, Viking Era and 19th Century are being somehow mysteriously brought forward into the present time, just sort of turning up with a flash in the waters of Oslo Bay and elsewhere.

I'm no film critic or analyst, but I imagine there's some sort of a metaphor for the modern day refugee crisis at play here. One episode in particular is pretty amusing, in which they show a sort of orientation (read: indoctrination) class for a bunch of the newcomers led by ninnies touting the diversity and tolerance of the current culture with a helpful instructional film replete with gay weddings, smooching dudes, and a whole host of other woke bullshit you might rightfully expect would only baffle a room full of Vikings for whom a foe's blood would be a hair care product, or ardent Calvinists, for that matter.

I'm looking forward to its 2nd season, and so long as subtitles don't cause you to swallow your own tongue, you might enjoy it too. See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beforeigners for further details.

For those with Scandinavian language chops, I'd be curious to hear what they think of what I imagine must be the Old Norse purportedly being spoken in some scenes.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #177 on: April 13, 2021, 07:41:07 pm
and a whole host of other woke bullshit you might rightfully expect would only baffle a room full of Vikings for whom a foe's blood would be a hair care product, or ardent Calvinists, for that matter.

If I've got my church history correct, the reformation in Scandiwegia went mostly Lutheran, many of the reformees' 19th Century successors emigrated to places like Minnesooooota. I get the distinct impression that the folks who founded this place had been more used to fjords than prairies!

http://www.kongsvingerchurch.org/

A.

nicholastanguma

• Bulleteer
Reply #178 on: April 13, 2021, 07:52:32 pm

I'm looking forward to its 2nd season,

Me, too!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #179 on: April 14, 2021, 06:52:22 am
Here's some good informative historical Swedish docudrama - get your aquavit, crispbread & kippers and settle in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emigrants_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Land