Author Topic: glitter and dust  (Read 495 times)

dls

• Scooter
  • SILVER 13 C5
on: November 21, 2020, 08:57:16 pm
I am considering getting a 650 Interceptor, my question is what makes the Glitter & Dust worth $700 more than the Mark Three ? The only obvious difference is the chromed gas tank, am I missing something ?

Oldie but Goldie

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 09:07:25 pm
No. It is the only difference. But ask how much would be to chrome a black tank and compare. Not worth it.
No matter the bike you ride
Wind is the same for all...

Dacvulcan

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 09:16:28 pm
I thought it was worth every penny.
Northern Virginia USA
2020 INT650 Glitter & Dust

Previous bikes: Kawasaki Vulcan 2000, 1500 Vulcan Classic, ZG1000 Concours, ZG1200 Voyager, KZ1000 Shaft, KZ750M Twin, KZ750E Four; Honda XL600R. XL350, CB550F, SL350, CL350, 305 Super Hawk

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 09:29:41 pm
I am considering getting a 650 Interceptor, my question is what makes the Glitter & Dust worth $700 more than the Mark Three ? The only obvious difference is the chromed gas tank, am I missing something ?
If the chrome tank speaks to you ... you'll hear the answer.

(plus they are the fastest) ;)
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 10:25:17 pm
I went to the dealer and put a down payment on an Orange one.  (cheapest color, since I'm a cheap ass)

They had a chrome one on the showroom floor.....looked nice but extra $$$$

Longs story short,  the dealer tried to F-me...and lied to me... I caught him in the lie and proved to him he lied and I threatened to cancel my order and buy from another dealer...

After considerable yelling and screaming and three phone calls, he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.....not super cheap, but a good bit below MSRP...

But I couldn't get that chrome one out of my head.....

So I said, "I know the chrome is more expensive...but if you give me the same discount, that you offered me on the orange one, I'll buy the chrome one".  He agreed.

So I forked out the extra $700....got the chrome one...and never looked back.

Yes I cried over the $700....but I only cried once.  I've long forgotten the sting of giving up  that cash.  But I smile every time I polish up that chrome tank!!!

Cookie

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 11:30:05 pm
Chrome tanks start at $350 US on Ebay with free shipping. You can change it any time

Jack Straw

• Bulleteer
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 11:34:26 pm
I'm not exactly convinced that chrome tanks are faster but I have one.

All the hot rodders I grew up with in southeast Los Angeles used to say "if it don't go, chrome it."
Interceptor 650, Honda VT500 Ascot, Kawasaki KLR at present.
Norton Commando, Ducati Diana Mk. III, CB 500/570, YDS-3, SV 650 and a few others in the past.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 01:10:43 am

Chrome won't get you home!

I'm not exactly convinced that chrome tanks are faster but I have one.

All the hot rodders I grew up with in southeast Los Angeles used to say "if it don't go, chrome it."

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 03:13:19 am
My first full size motorcycle was a BSA Royal Star 500 twin like the first photo.
When I first started reading about the rumored RE 650 I knew that unless they shot themselves in the foot, I'd get one. Fast forward, life takes over, I have other bikes and the the pandemic hits and we are scheduled for the first lock down at noon the next day. I phoned the RE dealer, about an hour away. We had a quick chat and I told him that if I could have the chrome on on his floor for the same price as the other one, I'd pick it up at 10AM in the morning. Deal done. No test ride needed. I did walk around it and knock on the tail light bracket  ;). The ride home ended up being about 3.5 hours.
When I look at photos of other members bikes I always think they look just as good as mime. But for me the chrome brought it home.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT

anglojaxon

• Scooter
  • AngloJaxon
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 07:13:23 pm
Chrome tanks are for men of culture, distinction and means. ;D

I have a glitter and dust, I noticed a 3 horsepowers gain over other colors immediately based on sight alone and it just sounded better.

#sarcasm

2019 Interceptor 650
2017 R1200 GS

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 08:23:44 pm
Ah those chrome coloured glasses
2019 Interceptor

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 03:23:18 am
Chrome tanks are for men of culture, distinction and means. ;D

I have a glitter and dust, I noticed a 3 horsepowers gain over other colors immediately based on sight alone and it just sounded better.

#sarcasm
And a fascination for smudges...!😁
My brain hurts

eddiesgirl

• Grease Monkey
  • Ventura, CA
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 03:31:14 am
Anything, ANYthing, with the the word glitter in the name is worth it, especially when it's created outside the 3-10 year old girl demographic, more especially when it's part of a name of a motorcycle. 

Consider the following:

1. Your age - now I don't know how old you are, but I'm 44 and even now for the big things in life, I get what I want even if it's a little extra. Life is too damn short
2. Unless you have massive plans for the $700 you already are considering for this (by massive I mean groceries, bills, stuff that you'd be a "life dick" if you spent it on this), drop the dime, my friend.
3. Back to that "glitter in the name".  Honestly, you can't go wrong there. I was glitter three times as an adult for Halloween - best costumes of my life.

All the choices are good, but if I were you, I'd go for what you want.
2020 INT 650 Silver Spectre

Ventura, CA, USA

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 06:29:12 am
Anything, ANYthing, with the the word glitter in the name is worth it, especially when it's created outside the 3-10 year old girl demographic, more especially when it's part of a name of a motorcycle. 

Consider the following:

1. Your age - now I don't know how old you are, but I'm 44 and even now for the big things in life, I get what I want even if it's a little extra. Life is too damn short
2. Unless you have massive plans for the $700 you already are considering for this (by massive I mean groceries, bills, stuff that you'd be a "life dick" if you spent it on this), drop the dime, my friend.
3. Back to that "glitter in the name".  Honestly, you can't go wrong there. I was glitter three times as an adult for Halloween - best costumes of my life.

All the choices are good, but if I were you, I'd go for what you want.
I have absolutely nothing against glittering girls. I hope that doesn’t sound misogynistic, but hey, I’m a guy.
My brain hurts

dls

• Scooter
  • SILVER 13 C5
Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 08:46:34 pm
I`m a 72yr old pensioner, when I started riding every bike from AJS to Zundapp had chrome tanks, so the Glitter & Dust chrome tank is very nostalgic but that $700 would pay for the seat and exhaust system I want for the bike. Still very tempting between the Mark three, the Glitter & Dust or a Continental GT Black Magic with a euro handlebar conversion