Author Topic: visibility  (Read 9637 times)

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #30 on: August 01, 2020, 03:51:34 pm
Perhaps it’s because I’m an old fcuker !😁
And a particularly proudly
politically incorrect one😁
Steve

I am probably not far behind you at 62 ;D.
Hope that made you feel old ;D ;D
2020 Baker Express

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #31 on: August 01, 2020, 04:06:53 pm
Two nights ago at around 7:30 PM on posted 35 mph street I left a light behind one car. To my right was 10' high (at least) jacked up, tricked out F-150 towing a old mustang on tandem axle car trailer. The car in front of me squeaked through a yellow at the next light. I was doing 42 mph when I noticed the yellow and stopped. I checked my mirror and noticed the F-150 coming like a bat outta hell. I was stopped on gradual curve so when he blew past about 60-65 and through the red he drifted into my lane. Damn good thing I was over left against the line. Peppered the f* out me and the bike with road gravel. My example of an asshole with too much a sense of personal entitlement. Their warped personal entitlement belief is more important than anyone eles's life these days
I hate those c@&@ts. I rode my Duke for 9 years for 80km of main roads daily. Nothing I ain’t seen. I got caught out eventually by a truck indicating right across a median strip( apparently) then swinging up a driveway on the left thereby triangulating me ( in the wet) into a lose/lose/ lose predicament. Much pain and calcium displacement. Won the court case though.
Steve
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #32 on: August 01, 2020, 06:51:20 pm
I truly believe that if you are riding a motorcycle and get hit, it is your fault for not paying attention.
Every time I get on my bike, before I even start it up, I sit there for a few seconds and say my little mantra over and over three or four or five times...
"EVERY CAGE DRIVER OUT THERE IS TRYING TO KILL ME".

I have taken every defensive motorcycle riding course I can find.
I ride scanning my surroundings just like a pilot, eyes always moving ... left mirror, ahead, right mirror, ahead, left mirror, ahead ... and so forth.
When changing lanes I NEVER just rely on checking my mirrors ... I TURN MY HEAD AND LOOK.
I slow to cross EVERY intersection ... slow enough to LOOK in BOTH DIRECTIONS and HAVE TIME TO STOP IF NEED BE.  And to hell with what color the light is.
If stopped at an intersection across from a cage driver, I DO NOT MOVE WHEN THE LIGHT CHANGES ... UNTIL I KNOW WHAT HE/SHE IS GOING TO DO!  I can't count the times some A-hole has been looking me right in the eye and turned directly in front of me!
I stay the hell out of people's blind spots and get positioned elsewhere as quickly as possible.
I never tailgate and will NOT ALLOW some A-hole to tailgate me!  I will slow until he is forced to go around me.
And so forth.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 07:27:51 pm by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: August 02, 2020, 12:01:55 am
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: August 02, 2020, 12:04:20 am
I truly believe that if you are riding a motorcycle and get hit, it is your fault for not paying attention.
Every time I get on my bike, before I even start it up, I sit there for a few seconds and say my little mantra over and over three or four or five times...
"EVERY CAGE DRIVER OUT THERE IS TRYING TO KILL ME".

I have taken every defensive motorcycle riding course I can find.
I ride scanning my surroundings just like a pilot, eyes always moving ... left mirror, ahead, right mirror, ahead, left mirror, ahead ... and so forth.
When changing lanes I NEVER just rely on checking my mirrors ... I TURN MY HEAD AND LOOK.
I slow to cross EVERY intersection ... slow enough to LOOK in BOTH DIRECTIONS and HAVE TIME TO STOP IF NEED BE.  And to hell with what color the light is.
If stopped at an intersection across from a cage driver, I DO NOT MOVE WHEN THE LIGHT CHANGES ... UNTIL I KNOW WHAT HE/SHE IS GOING TO DO!  I can't count the times some A-hole has been looking me right in the eye and turned directly in front of me!
I stay the hell out of people's blind spots and get positioned elsewhere as quickly as possible.
I never tailgate and will NOT ALLOW some A-hole to tailgate me!  I will slow until he is forced to go around me.
And so forth.

After two bad high speed accidents (my fault) with much blood and shattered parts pointing the wrong way etc. riding a bike is still the most relaxing thing I do. And it's very easy for me to completely zone out doing it. I also have a bad habit of not braking till the very last moment. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, so now, and for many years my first line of defense has been to stay well ahead of the herd when possible. Getting worse every day out there!

When I first started riding my 59 Trophy TR6 in 1966 a drunk in a Pontiac Bonneville left some his paint on my left foot peg almost knocking me down. Other than that been pretty lucky. Knock on wood  ;D 
Guy
19 Conti GT in Dr Mayhem paint 08/24/2019
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: August 02, 2020, 12:11:45 am
I am probably not far behind you at 62 ;D.
Hope that made you feel old ;D ;D
Thanks👍😁

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #36 on: August 02, 2020, 02:24:06 am
Need a very large tee shirt to fit over the top of my leather jacket
2019 Interceptor

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #37 on: August 02, 2020, 02:25:06 am
need a very large tee shirt to fit over my leather jacket
2019 Interceptor

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: August 02, 2020, 01:57:13 pm
That's a really good point! Most of the fu#%wits manage to see coppers- it's in their best interest. It really shits me when I watch a driver evaluate you as they prepare to decide whether to pull out or not-sure as hell not going to do it if there's a semi bearing down on them but they're happy to take their chances with a bike.
Steve

Yep, the interesting thing with the Police look-a-like white Suzuki back when I rode it was people gave way to me from a ludicrously long way away, like a quarter of a block sometimes.

Mike R

• Scooter
  • USA 2019 INT650
Reply #39 on: August 02, 2020, 03:49:15 pm
And a particularly proudly
politically incorrect one😁
Steve

You got my respect! I am one of those, too... 8)

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #40 on: August 02, 2020, 06:20:35 pm
After two bad high speed accidents (my fault) with much blood and shattered parts pointing the wrong way etc. riding a bike is still the most relaxing thing I do. And it's very easy for me to completely zone out doing it. I also have a bad habit of not braking till the very last moment. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, so now, and for many years my first line of defense has been to stay well ahead of the herd when possible. Getting worse every day out there!

When I first started riding my 59 Trophy TR6 in 1966 a drunk in a Pontiac Bonneville left some his paint on my left foot peg almost knocking me down. Other than that been pretty lucky. Knock on wood  ;D

In contrast, I am 72, have been riding since I was 17, spent 10 years commuting on the freeway to work, etc. etc. and have NEVER had even a CLOSE CALL with another vehicle.  I have ALLways seen an incident in the making before it ever happened and have been able to avoid it.  But you won't see it if you aren't looking ... just that simple.
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #41 on: August 02, 2020, 07:35:21 pm
I have slowed down a lot. I have had several motorcycle "accidents" some my fault but mostly someone else's fault. I have no problem admitting fault.
At 62 I have been riding for 46 years and did some stupid shite in my younger years.
I have had several bikes in the US and did 48,000 miles in 2 years on my Bonneville America and saw some real stupid stuff being done by both cage drivers and motorcyclists alike, just watch one of those fail compilations on youtube.
Living close to Orlando Florida is a f&*%ing nightmare what with all the tourists and shite for brains drivers that I have learned to drive VERY defensively.
2020 Baker Express

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #42 on: August 02, 2020, 09:03:00 pm
One of the mistakes we riders make is forgetting to shut off our curb side directional lights (right side in the civilized world).
That car at the next intersection might just take your word for it.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: August 02, 2020, 09:18:59 pm
One of the mistakes we riders make is forgetting to shut off our curb side directional lights (right side in the civilized world).
That car at the next intersection might just take your word for it.
Vice versa too! I’ve had a few close calls trusting oncoming cars’ indicators at intersections, realising almost too late that they’ve left there indicators on and are actually coming straight through, not turning at all ! A fistful of throttle mid-turn has been my only bail-out.
Hard to anticipate things like that 100% of the time Jimmy.
Steve

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #44 on: August 02, 2020, 09:31:06 pm
Vice versa too! I’ve had a few close calls trusting oncoming cars’ indicators at intersections, realising almost too late that they’ve left there indicators on and are actually coming straight through, not turning at all ! A fistful of throttle mid-turn has been my only bail-out.
Hard to anticipate things like that 100% of the time Jimmy.
Steve
Of course what you say is true.
However, we control our side of the transaction. Shutting off our own turn signal is free.
If someone is a habitual forgetter ... I'd suggest wiring your horn into the turn system.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R