Author Topic: Switch live wires?  (Read 345 times)

Sportygranda!

• Neophyte
on: May 31, 2020, 08:36:51 pm
Hi, new to the forum. I've had my enfield a nearly 2 years it's a 2009 bullet 500 efi, I'm looking to connect a sat nav to the wiring and would like some info on the best switch live wires to tap into as I don't want a vital component to loose current should I blow a fuse! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 03:07:16 am
Welcome to the Forum! I've got one of the old Iron Barrel models, and I'm no great hand at electrics, but if a direct fused line to the battery with one of those common dual-pronged SAE type connectors were compatible with whatever GPS system you fancy, then it could also do double duty as a handy connection for a battery tender or one of those little 1½ watt solar battery chargers, assuming you remove the GPS unit to secure it.

Which GPS model(s) are you contemplating?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 03:14:06 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

Boxerman

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 11:31:39 am
I have a 2009 Electra EFI. When I fitted my Garmin Zumo, I repurposed the side stand relay to switch the Garmin's PSU on and off.
The relay is in the left hand 'sausage box' on the Electra, don't know where it is on the Bullet though.

Frank

axman88

• Grease Monkey
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 02:09:04 am
a direct fused line to the battery with one of those common dual-pronged SAE type connectors were compatible with whatever GPS system you fancy, then it could also do double duty as a handy connection for a battery tender or one of those little 1½ watt solar battery chargers, assuming you remove the GPS unit to secure it.
Not a bad idea, a float charger or maintainer tap is a nice thing to have.  The drawback with any direct line to the battery is that if you leave something connected to it, it can draw power with the ignition off, which may be conceptually problematic for those of us who, after a few beers think, "Key in pocket mean everything off".

The problem with tapping into the system after the ignition switch is that RE may not have provided for any "auxiliary" loads.  A GPS is likely to have pretty modest power requirements though.

I have a 2009 Electra EFI. When I fitted my Garmin Zumo, I repurposed the side stand relay to switch the Garmin's PSU on and off.
Does the side stand relay serve to provide a ground path for the starter relay in the standard configuration?  Can you post a link to, or a PDF of, the schematic for your 2009?  I'd like to see it, I only have earlier and later schematics.

Boxerman

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 08:06:27 am
One diagram I have says 2011 do you already have this one?

The other does not appear to have a year on it:

HTH
Frank

Sportygranda!

• Neophyte
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 08:55:54 am
Hi guys, I managed to get it sorted I ran the wire under the tank to the fuse box and tested all the push connectors with a test lamp and found an open end and wired into that, turned the ignition and lit the satnav up! I checked all my electrics after and all are working fine!

The satnav I chose was the tomtom rider 550, as I've heard it also has a built in self resetting fuse so that would protect my bike should it get a surge!

Thanks again folks I look forward to being a member of this group!

axman88

• Grease Monkey
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 05:00:51 pm
One diagram I have says 2011 do you already have this one?
Thanks.  The Electra E5/G5 looks like the schematic that is printed in my Haynes manual.  The schematic for the 2011 I have not seen, and shows the multiple, compound safety relays.  What a confusing design!  Thanks for posting.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 05:08:48 pm
Sportygranda!  Glad to hear you found a solution to the problem.

I was going to suggest opening up the headlight housing to see if you have a wire that isn't connected to the headlight and is just hanging loose in there.

Royal Enfield has a wire that is there to provide power to a smaller parking light bulb that some of the old headlight shells have in them.  If the motorcycle is using a sealed beam headlight, this wire will just be hanging there connected to nothing.  This wire always has electrical power whenever the ignition key is turned on.  Although it is for a light, the headlight doesn't have to be turned on for it to work.

If you use it as the power supply for anything, whatever is connected to it will turn on when the ignition switch is turned on and, turn off whenever the ignition switch is turned off.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary