Author Topic: Electrical system shut off when riding  (Read 531 times)

gkoehlert

• Neophyte
on: March 23, 2020, 12:44:52 am
Hey everyone,

I have a 2012 RE C5 Bullet that keeps shutting down while riding with electrical problems. I've replaced the relay starter, and the magento. The electrical shut offs continue. I touch wires and wait, and the bike restarts. Does this sound like a wiring problem and do you think a main wiring harness replacement will fix this problem? I have a theory that a squirrel chewed on my wires somewhere while under winter cover, anyone heard of that one?

Thanks all,
Greg

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 03:52:04 am
Welcome aboard! I don't have a UCE Bullet, but rather one of the older cast iron cylinder ones. Still, until someone else more informed comes along, I seem to recall that perhaps the commonest cause of "electrical failure" while riding is a cracked or otherwise poor battery terminal-to-ground connection. This appears to be a very common issue with UCEs, and may be difficult to diagnose visually since the break may be hidden within the insulation and even occur intermittently as the split contact engages or disengages due to vibration. The second most common cause for sudden loss of power and the engine simply stopping could be a wonky sidestand safety interlock switch, designed to disable the engine in the event of the sidestand being deployed. Those switches are also quite prone to failure, and many UCE owners simply disconnect them.

Then again, one supposes it could be those damned squirrels, particularly that shifty-looking one with the multi-meter, but for other more likely causes you might do well to search and sort through past postings to this Forum searching likely keywords like "loss of electrical power" and so forth.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 04:04:58 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 06:40:47 pm
Bill has good advice.
I've had mystery electrical halts in two bikes cured by inspecting and reconnecting the whole system and spraying the contacts and switch contacts with electrical cleaner. It's quite a chore on some bikes but the RE is pretty simple. Even if it doesn't solve the problem it's a good maintenance move for older bikes.

axman88

• Grease Monkey
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 02:59:36 am
Welcome to the Royal Enfield USA forum!

Is your MIL light flashing when your engine dies, or does it just die?

Squirrels I would doubt, but mice and rats are known to chew through insulation.  A rat ruined a set of Oxy-acetylene hoses I had stored under cover in the back yard.  Odd thing was, it only chewed the Acetylene hose.  Either the don't care for the taste of oxygen, or the color red is more appealing than the color green.  Still, this would not be anywhere near my first suspect, unless there is other evidence, like a nest in the air cleaner or droppings around the bike.