Author Topic: Virus kneejerk  (Read 19934 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #30 on: March 24, 2020, 01:56:01 am
That sounds exactly like what happened in the UK at the weekend, and guess what... tighter restrictions here now too, as a result.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #31 on: March 24, 2020, 05:15:24 am
On the brighter side, tomorrow's forecast is partly sunny in the high 50s, so I'm planning a nice long lonely cobweb-blowing snort through the hinterlands with my trusty hand sanitizer in the panniers.

Speaking of sanitary, since most virus transmission occurs by touching infected surfaces with one's hand, and then touching one's face, I've been training myself to use my left hand for any necessary operations like opening doors, credit card swiping and so forth on the theory that I'm far more likely to touch my face inadvertently with my right (dominant) hand. I'm hoping that favoring the left and frequent shots of hand sanitizer and washing will at least reduce somewhat the likelihood of goobing myself with that Wuhan Flu.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:17:45 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 24, 2020, 01:44:47 pm
On the brighter side, tomorrow's forecast is partly sunny in the high 50s, so I'm planning a nice long lonely cobweb-blowing snort through the hinterlands with my trusty hand sanitizer in the panniers.

Speaking of sanitary, since most virus transmission occurs by touching infected surfaces with one's hand, and then touching one's face, I've been training myself to use my left hand for any necessary operations like opening doors, credit card swiping and so forth on the theory that I'm far more likely to touch my face inadvertently with my right (dominant) hand. I'm hoping that favoring the left and frequent shots of hand sanitizer and washing will at least reduce somewhat the likelihood of goobing myself with that Wuhan Flu.

What do you do at the fuel pump?  That seems like a good place to pick up a virus, along with grocery stores, of course.   ::)  What I do is to use the windshield wiping paper towels that are usually available at gas station pump islands to hold the pump nozzle. Unfortunately, in California, you also have to use your other hand to pull back hard on the rubber gas-trapping billows to get the pump to work. But it is very unlikely that thing would have been touched by any of the unwashed public driving a car.

Of course, I don't have that issue as I plug-in my electric motorcycle when I am recharging it at home.   :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:47:40 pm by Richard230 »
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #33 on: March 24, 2020, 01:53:52 pm

Of course, I don't have that issue as I plug-in my electric motorcycle when I am recharging it at home.   :)

So you think that Corona crisis has been manufactured to promote the electric motorcycles which the whole world is apparently waiting for?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: March 24, 2020, 02:56:53 pm
What do you do at the fuel pump?  That seems like a good place to pick up a virus, along with grocery stores, of course.   ::)  What I do is to use the windshield wiping paper towels that are usually available at gas station pump islands to hold the pump nozzle. Unfortunately, in California, you also have to use your other hand to pull back hard on the rubber gas-trapping billows to get the pump to work. But it is very unlikely that thing would have been touched by any of the unwashed public driving a car.

Well, for now with the Bullet that's not an issue, since I tank up at home from fuel cans after every ride with ethanol-free 89 octane that I treat with StaBil 360 and a dash of Marvel Mystery Oil. I fill the cans in fuel runs every couple-few months to a station about 30 miles south where the EPA allows sale of the good stuff at the pump since it's supposedly a "rural, non-metropolitan" area (even though it's a big Wawa convenience store in downtown Frederiksburg, a fair-sized little city of about 30,000). Fortunately, here in Virginia we needn't struggle with those spring-loaded pump nozzle condoms. We had 'em for a time years and years ago, but no longer.

As for my cars that get the normal 10% ethanol spew, as well as doing the left-handed thing, I've got a huge box of those nitrile gloves, some of which I've divvied into a few ziplock bags for the glove compartments, panniers of the bike and so forth. Just one on the left hand will do you: Goop up with sanitizer, glove on left, tank up, peel off glove and discard, goop up again, and off you go.

This left-handing thing ain't magic, but if you've GOT to be pawing around out there in Crudsville, it can't hurt to lessen your chances of transmission, right? Stay fine, my man!
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 24, 2020, 03:34:25 pm
So you think that Corona crisis has been manufactured to promote the electric motorcycles which the whole world is apparently waiting for?

Well, with the price of gas falling like a rock, it seems unlikely that would be the case.  My electric rates are going up sky high due to our utility company Pacific, Graft and Explosion, being in bankruptcy court and just having admitted to in court to killing something like 84 people due to their equipment starting a fire and burning down an entire town.  Someone is going to have to pay for all of that damage and lawsuit claims and it will likely be us electric ratepayers.   >:(

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 24, 2020, 03:44:30 pm
I like this idea of what to do while you are stuck at home due to the virus.  ;D

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #37 on: March 24, 2020, 03:55:40 pm
"Howdy, my name is Rabindranath..."

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #38 on: March 24, 2020, 07:58:47 pm
 ;D ;D ;D
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #39 on: March 24, 2020, 08:04:05 pm
What do you do at the fuel pump?  That seems like a good place to pick up a virus, along with grocery stores, of course.   ::)  What I do is to use the windshield wiping paper towels that are usually available at gas station pump islands to hold the pump nozzle

Wear some gloves (dish washing ones will do, nitrile better) or use the alcohol gel. Washing hands with soap and water is the most effective way but you have to do it properly.

Suppose you could clean the pump handle before you touch it?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 03:02:00 am
Wear some gloves (dish washing ones will do, nitrile better) or use the alcohol gel. Washing hands with soap and water is the most effective way but you have to do it properly.

Suppose you could clean the pump handle before you touch it?

CDC has a bunch of guidance online for making your own hand sanitizer, disinfectant spray, and so forth. I guess if you're in a car you could do everyone a favor and tote around a spray bottle with about 1 part bleach to 5 parts water, and just spritz those handles, fuel choice buttons and credit card terminals. An old Tilex spray bottle is ideal, since it's designed for it. Don't use a spray  bottle that held an ammonia solution, like some glass cleaners, unless you want to reenact the Battle of the Somme gas attacks in your Dodge.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #41 on: March 26, 2020, 01:28:22 am
Don't use a spray  bottle that held an ammonia solution, like some glass cleaners, unless you want to reenact the Battle of the Somme gas attacks in your Dodge.

This. When I was a kid my mom decided to mix cleaners. It almost killed her.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #42 on: March 29, 2020, 06:12:05 pm
www.thelocal.se/20200328/explaining-the-science-behind-swedens-relaxed-coronavirus-approach

Would I for once agree with the Swedish gov. ? I think so....

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #43 on: March 31, 2020, 02:18:03 pm
At least we British can get back to the one (Only) thing we are really good at...…..
Queueing!
outside all the supermarkets there are lines marked at 2m intervals(6'6") so we can be regimented  exactly the same distance apart, waiting for the small group of people allowed within the store do their shopping and leave, we then, maintaining our 2m apart shuffle forward 5 or 6 markings, until it's our turn to enter the shopping world, but only 1 person per family at any one time!........all good fun while it's sunny!
Most so called non essential stores are closed, we are only allowed to go out for exercise, get essential supplies, go to work if absolutely necessary or get meds.

Not to bad if you have land around your property but pretty horrible if you live in a block of flats or city.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: March 31, 2020, 03:35:38 pm
Along with DC and Maryland, our Virginia governor Northam finally issued a stay-at-home order yesterday. It's a tad on the wishy-washy side. For example, beaches are closed except for "exercising or fishing"...I mean why not "sandcastle building"? But all the same, I'm glad I got in that lovely long pleasure snort on the Bullet yesterday without having to lash some radishes or Advil to the handlebars to demonstrate my food and medical supplies gathering cred.

In the event that anyone might be interested in this or other Wuhan Flu related executive orders by our guv, here they are: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/executive-actions/ . Given the circumstances, I suppose we're sort of fortunate Northam's a medical doctor, with at least SOME clue of what a virus is or does, unlike some orange fellow I can think of whose extent of knowledge of viruses probably derives chiefly from that "anything goes" upper deck at Studio 54 back in the day, and who sends the stock market tumbling 1,000 points every time he mentions the damned things.