Author Topic: Modified Exhaust a Waste of Time  (Read 1393 times)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #30 on: March 22, 2020, 02:13:53 pm
If any one watches Grey's Anatomy..........I am like Karev.....I tell the truth and tell it like it is. GHG IS A GORILLA! We had lunch one day and I kiddingly punched him on the arm........and bruised my knuckles! It was like hitting STONE! Freaken gorilla arms I tell ya! Also, beware of anything Narada says possible in support of my comments. He is a secret member in absentia of our motorcycle gang, The Long Strokers, a well known and widely feared gang in our area. All 100 members (really 3) are dedicated to RE singles, though we may have to allow 650 twins into the mix. We will discuss in our next open air meeting, where we will maintain at least 6' social distancing. Weather is getting good and I am recovered from surgery enough for short rides, and hopefully long ones in 2 weeks. Frogman8, you ready to ride?
9fingers
Currently own:
2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: March 22, 2020, 07:34:28 pm
   Oh stop .  ::)    Come on now.   Why... I screamed like a little girl inside when ya did that !?  :o
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #32 on: March 26, 2020, 01:14:15 am
 "Come on Narada !!  Get that thing hooked up already, so we can have some fun !    ;D"

Speaking of modified exhaust, I just decided to hook up my Auto Tune (purchased last July) and realized I need to get someone to TIG my Bung!  :o Worse than that, I need to ask where my bung hole should be?  ;D

My Hitchcocks head pipe has a small bung hole for the stock O2 sensor, but the Auto Tune sensor is a "wide band" right? It's a larger ID bung than the stock one (new bung is provided in kit).  I could hog out the stock size bung and put the new and improved larger one in its place, but I seem to remember that the wide band bung likes to be further down stream... is that right? How far down should the wide band sensor be from the top?  ???

I could also MIG weld the new one in myself, but I'd hate to mess up that shiney pipe! The bummer is, if I want it TIG'ed I'll have to wait until this virus shut down is over... that might be a while.  :P

"Also, beware of anything Narada says possible in support of my comments. He is a secret member in absentia of our motorcycle gang, The Long Strokers, a well known and widely feared gang in our area."

I couldn't agree with you more 9fingers! ;D  Long Stroker with a Dome Top!  :o Social distancing (in absentia) is no problem!  ;)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Forged Dome Piston, Ported head and H.P. Cams by SB/GHG, PC-V, Auto-Tune, Uni, Fin, K-70's, Koso, Premium EFI Silencer

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler with DMC M-72D Sidecar

olhogrider

• 650 Interceptor
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 26, 2020, 01:23:22 am
I can't answer your question but I did laugh my ass off at your bung hole problem ;D

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: March 26, 2020, 01:42:43 am
We need to be careful in discussing our bung hole problems..............some people might get the wrong idea.............
9fingers
Currently own:
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

swamp2

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: March 26, 2020, 02:11:17 am
Dynojet's AT-200 installation instructions read as follows...

Positioning the weld bung in a location where multiple cylinders collect is the preferred location. If your application has a “2-into-2”design, it’s recommended to position the weld bung/sensor approximately 6” from the exhaust port on the respective cylinder you wish to tune.

Since we have a "1-into-1" design where it's pretty clear what cylinder we wish to tune, I'd say the 6" from the exhaust port guidance would apply.
2012 C5 Classic Chrome
2009 G5 Deluxe

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • Live slow, die whenever
Reply #36 on: March 26, 2020, 07:19:44 am
Depends what instructions you read, they say 6" or At Least 6" from the exhaust port. Mine's 9" and seems to working well. As you can see, I wasn't too fussed about messing up the chrome. It's f... ed anyway. I'll get a new stainless one when the current silliness ends.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
Monster
DR250
DRZ400SM

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 26, 2020, 06:10:23 pm
"Come on Narada !!  Get that thing hooked up already, so we can have some fun !    ;D"

Speaking of modified exhaust, I just decided to hook up my Auto Tune (purchased last July) and realized I need to get someone to TIG my Bung!  :o Worse than that, I need to ask where my bung hole should be?  ;D

My Hitchcocks head pipe has a small bung hole for the stock O2 sensor, but the Auto Tune sensor is a "wide band" right? It's a larger ID bung than the stock one (new bung is provided in kit).  I could hog out the stock size bung and put the new and improved larger one in its place, but I seem to remember that the wide band bung likes to be further down stream... is that right? How far down should the wide band sensor be from the top?  ???

I could also MIG weld the new one in myself, but I'd hate to mess up that shiney pipe! The bummer is, if I want it TIG'ed I'll have to wait until this virus shut down is over... that might be a while.  :P

"Also, beware of anything Narada says possible in support of my comments. He is a secret member in absentia of our motorcycle gang, The Long Strokers, a well known and widely feared gang in our area."

I couldn't agree with you more 9fingers! ;D  Long Stroker with a Dome Top!  :o Social distancing (in absentia) is no problem!  ;)

Hahaha !!!     Right where the old one is is just fine.    Like swamp said, it's a single.   I never had a problem at the stock location.  Drill/ grind out the old bung hole ... Hahaha !.... and Weld or Braze the new one right in it's place.   A  mig or a splatter box is fine Narada.    Just mask off the surrounding area  with some leather or heavy strips of duck tape.   Clean up the weld with a grinder and spray a little  high temp  silver BBQ  paint on it , if you want to dress it up and keep the weld from rusting.      When you weld it, just make sure you put an 18mm bolt or plug in the hole , of the bung hole .. ;D... so as not to get any weld splatter on the treads inside ... the bung hole.    You'll notice  on the bung hole they sent you,  there is shoulder on one side of it.   That shoulder fits inside of the pipe so you don't have gap when you weld around it.     

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: March 27, 2020, 09:25:11 pm
Mikuni carbs are great. As long as they are not CV. As for Amal, I'm sure mine was made in China. It has lasted more than 8,000 miles without a problem. But you can buy a new one for about $50. The price for a NEW Royal Enfield fuel pump is over $500. As for points ignition, I would love to have points ignition and a magneto. If I weren't disabled I would be happy with kickstart only. I just love using the tickler on my Amal carb, and getting gas on my finger. It is, after all, a MACHINE. I admit I waited too late to buy a RE. I wish I had bought one back in the early 2000s. But what attracts me to the RE is not only it's looks, feel, and sound (through an aftermarket exhaust) is it's lack of technology. I own 6 bikes, and none of them have EFI. Or ABS. Motorcycles are my ESCAPE from technology, at least the electronic kind. I used to own a 1966 Triumph Bonneville. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was selling it. I am looking into getting an Ironhead Sportster. While I have a 2006 carbureted Sportster, it still feels a bit to "modern" Something more crude and primitive, with some rough edges. And parts are plentiful for those.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best of intentions'

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: March 28, 2020, 03:01:42 pm
For what it is worth, I agree with everything SCJ said, except the part about tickling the carb and getting gas on my fingers.
9fingers
Currently own:
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Ove

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: March 28, 2020, 03:38:49 pm
Can't believe a 1966 Bonneville is more crude than a 2006 sportster..!

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 28, 2020, 04:23:05 pm
Being a former and current trials rider...........I have never even ridden a Harley.
9fingers
Currently own:
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

swamp2

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: March 28, 2020, 04:30:59 pm
For what it is worth, I agree with everything SCJ said, except the part about tickling the carb and getting gas on my fingers.
9fingers
Yeah, I felt that way for a long time, but eventually I got sick of oil leaks, tickling carbs, kick starting fussy bikes.  Had probably (at least) 20 Triumphs over my bike riding career, vintages from '56 to '75.  Singles, twins and triples.   Yes they're charming in a crude sort of way - but why put up with that crap if you don't have to.  If you want to get over your love of Amals and points, try owning a Trident for a while, it'll cure you in a hurry.  Replacing the cap in a Lucas K2F magneto is an expensive proposition, and it is an inevitable requirement.  I can't begin to count the bruises my 441 Victor gave me trying to kick start the thing and catching the inside of my leg on the oil tank corner.  I never want to own an old British bike ever again.

That's exactly why I got a Royal Enfield UCE - I really missed the look and feel of having a classic bike, it's just that I've gotten less tolerant of that kind of "character" in my old age (61).  I am far from a technology worshiper, but there's nothing even remotely high tech about electric starters, or EFI, or electronic ignition or disc brakes anymore, or CNC produced parts that don't leak oil.  To me, they all make the "classic bike" ownership and riding experience much better. 

If you still like points, carbs, etc that's perfectly fine - just not my preferred thing anymore (actually several of my bikes still have carbs, and 2 of them still have points).  To each his own...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 07:47:36 pm by swamp2 »
2012 C5 Classic Chrome
2009 G5 Deluxe

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: March 28, 2020, 08:29:41 pm
   I would NEVER go back to carbs willingly .  Hahaha !  They are just not compatible with our ethanol laced fuels in the US.  It just does horrific things to them.   Hours and hours spent on cleaning them out over the years !    You can have them ! ;D   If one has REAL gasoline near them ... consider your self lucky.  Because most of us do not.  And when I ride my bike ... I just want to ride it , and not have to think about hunting down real gas.   Pull into any station and i'm good to go.  Although I would rather not to use it...   I've had no ill effects from using 10% Ethanol in my with EFI Enfield's  for the past 11 years.   The bikes and gas in the tank  don't sit around long enough for that to happen.    But I DO get it.... there is nothing like setting up a bank of Carbs perfectly and the motor runs sweet.    But there is WAY more likelihood of that mechanical soup can with holes in it malfunctioning, with corrosive fuel in there, then there is with EFI. 

A quick look around the net shows that an Amal Concentric is about 200 bucks give or take.   A replacement fuel pump for an Enfield ?   About 70 bucks...

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-35459720-quantum-t35-intank-fuel-pump-for-royal-enfield-bullet-500-2006-2016-replaces-571052.html   

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #44 on: March 28, 2020, 11:39:06 pm
I can go either way, carbs or EFI, as long as I can get control over the adjustability for the EFI.
Home of the Fireball 535 !