Author Topic: Shameless self-promotion of RE book  (Read 967 times)

ddavidv

• Bulletologist
  • Grease Monkey
on: February 09, 2020, 01:23:27 pm
Nothing new to those who followed along on my rebuild last year but I've put my experience into book form.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41o-QDx6E%2BL.jpg

Those new to the brand will hopefully find it interesting. The more well-seasoned will just nod along or shake their heads at my learning process.  ;)  It's not a long read and I've priced it accordingly vs what things typically sell for.

Should anyone be inclined to purchase a copy I beg that you leave a review of any kind on Amazon (only place it's currently sold) as this is what determines the success of any indie published book. I'm also keen to correct any blatant errors found. Feel free to browse my fiction works as well.  :)

I think this link will take you directly to it:  https://www.amazon.com/Dodging-Bullets-Resurrection-David-Wittlinger-ebook/dp/B0832BB5T6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=dodging+bullets+wittlinger&qid=1581254069&s=books&sr=1-1
2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 2008 Triumph Bonneville, 2012 Triumph Tiger 800

olhogrider

• 650 Interceptor and C5
  • Grand Gearhead
  • VEGAS!
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 10:37:55 pm
Followed the link, tried to buy the paperback but it insisted I get the free kindle version instead. I prefer paper. What self respecting Royal Enfield owner wouldn't? I'll try again later. ::)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 01:49:07 pm
My paperback is due to arrive on the 14th.  ok ,not bad. You say you like farm engines? here's my Deere dual fuel.With me around 35. And others. Thats my 77 sporty in the background.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:41:19 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shocks,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

fernf5

• Scooter
  • These are the good old days....
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 03:16:00 pm
There's a semi truck on the freeway bringing a print copy my way. Looking forward to it! :)
2007 Bullet Deluxe ES
1999 FLSTC

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 05:19:28 pm
Think I'll just wait for the movie...

Only kidding. I couldn't find a link for that paperback, so I just got the full Kindle version for now. I'm about halfway through, and hat's off to you, sir! It's a fairly good read: man overcoming the elements and all that. In fact, I'll likely grab a hardcopy too, once it's available, for my personal Enfield archive. As a former librarian, how could I not?

Well done! And for those yet unfamiliar with the medium, don't be afraid of that Kindle version. It's a snap to use on your smartphone, and David's book is particularly well-formatted for it.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

Legal enough to pass muster if they don't look too closely in Woodbridge, Virginia, where the buses don't run at night, holidays or weekends

ddavidv

• Bulletologist
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 10:02:08 pm
I'll try posting some links below. Part of the problem is it may 'recognize' me when I go to Amazon for the link and add in some gibberish that causes a problem. You can just search in books>Dodging Bullets> David Wittlinger.

I have received one critical message regarding some of the facts in the book. I quite appreciate these responses and will make corrections to the text and upload so that fresh editions will be more accurate.

Part of the problem in doing a project such as this is I don't have anyone in-house to run fact checking so have to rely on myself reading through it several times. A bit harder than writing fiction for me.

Edit: there is some weirdness on Amazon. When the book comes up you may have to click on the word 'paperback' to get to the proper page to order it. I think this link will get you there:
https://www.amazon.com/Dodging-Bullets-Resurrection-David-Wittlinger/dp/1675954429/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=dodging+bullets+david+wittlinger&qid=1581544712&s=books&sr=1-1-catcorr

And the Kindle edition:
https://www.amazon.com/Dodging-Bullets-Resurrection-David-Wittlinger-ebook/dp/B0832BB5T6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=dodging+bullets+david+wittlinger&qid=1581544803&s=books&sr=1-1-catcorr

The book was formatted for Kindle first so it should look perfect on there. Because of the brevity of the physical copy I had to fudge the margins on the paper version to make it fit Amazon's parameters. While I could have made it look nicer in a smaller size the price per copy would have been significantly more.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 10:34:23 pm
Thanks! That link for the paperback works fine now. And don't sweat the small stuff. The book's great where it really matters. Fuss with it later, if you will, but I've been enjoying it just fine.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

Legal enough to pass muster if they don't look too closely in Woodbridge, Virginia, where the buses don't run at night, holidays or weekends

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 08:43:55 pm
Got mine, and I like it.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shocks,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 11:35:23 am
My paperback is due to arrive on the 14th.  ok ,not bad. You say you like farm engines? here's my Deere dual fuel.With me around 35. And others. Thats my 77 sporty in the background.

Farm engines got me into motorcycles in my teens in what seems like a previous eon, I shared a small collection of them with my father. Being in the UK we seemed to end up with the usual Listers, but the pride of the collection was a 1 1/2 HP Fairbanks Morse "headless" Z type hit-and-miss.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 12:54:45 pm
Farm engines got me into motorcycles in my teens in what seems like a previous eon, I shared a small collection of them with my father. Being in the UK we seemed to end up with the usual Listers, but the pride of the collection was a 1 1/2 HP Fairbanks Morse "headless" Z type hit-and-miss.

A.
Hi Adrian , I had 5 one being a 6 hp stover! Thats when S.H.M.B.O stepped in. So I built this, and sold them all. This one lives in my den.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 01:43:33 pm
David, just finished your book and as I said earlier it's good. So now you have brought the bike to the point where the work really begins to make it a pleasant ride. I think this is where a lot of P.O's would give up,and  explain why there were so many for sale with low miles years back. I got my 05 with 75 miles on it. Luckily back then Classic Motor Works had most of the stuff needed, hell I even had to change fork and rear shock springs. So, are you ready for phase 2?

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 05:27:53 pm
Hi Adrian , I had 5 one being a 6 hp stover! Thats when S.H.M.B.O stepped in. So I built this, and sold them all. This one lives in my den.

Model engineering? Check this Danish guy out, I find his work strangely theraputic.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=find+hansen

@ddavidv

I think there will be plenty of excuse for a second edition once you have a few more thousand more miles and perhaps incorporated a few more modifications, or maybe bought a 1960 RE 500 Fury to go with your Indian Bullet.  ;)

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 06:06:20 pm
I have always been a huge fan of British model engineering. That Hit and miss model I built 25 years ago and I think it was an Edgar T Westbury design. But my true love is building clocks that keep lousy time. Check out this weirdo... https://youtu.be/Qr8wlV2zzN8

ddavidv

• Bulletologist
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 12:21:08 pm
From here onward:  Well, not sure how much of it I'd want to change. As I wrote, it's a 'happy' motorcycle as-is. I'm not going to spend money chasing dubious performance so will leave the engine alone. The front fork seals may be weeping slightly and I've bought the seals to do the job when I feel ambitious (won't be a new task for me as I've done them on other bikes). Still need to fix the bent foot pegs. The tab for the muffler bracket broke off the frame so that will need to be welded but the wheel needs to come off for that.

I do dislike the tiny headlamp so want to change that. Maybe put on front indicators that can actually be seen. Want to add a small parcel rack to the rear. At some point I'd like to peel off the striping and have it painted on by a guy I know.

Thoughts that have not escaped me are getting another one and making a high-pipe scrambler type of bike but I need another Bullet like the proverbial hole in the head. I would, however, love to find an actual Redditch built Enfield (maybe Indian branded) to lavish time and foolish amounts of money upon.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 01:21:01 pm
My only sniggle is why pic no of the completed project? On the back cover perhaps? The readers deserve that, no?