Author Topic: Cam Swap  (Read 3490 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 01:54:51 am
Both the AVL and cast iron Bullet cams run on 5/8" O/D spindles, which is around 15.88mm, and a round 15.88mm if you're really lucky! Retro-fitting Bullet cams to an AVL is an option, but probably not for a UCE/EFI, as the gear tooth shape seems to have been changed, and as the UCE crank pinion is machined as part of the timing side shaft you can't do a wholesale cam and pinion swap.

The adjustable cam spindle thing was, I believe, an attempt by the factory to cut down on timing gear rattle, but it is of course something else to work loose and go out of adjustment. My AVL hybrid engine happily uses the old solid spindles - theses engines will never be totally silent mechanically.

A.

Yeah, I hear ya.... 15.80- 15.84 on  BRAND NEW  UCE's  Cams  depending on where in that bush you measure them ... haha !   The UCE's also run cam gears that are different sizes.    The exhaust gear is  52.51 diameter and the intake is a 55.06.       38 tooth Cam gear on the UCE's.... 36 on the AVL's  and Iron barrels ?   
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 04:23:19 am
We will just get some bushings made at the machinist. It will cost more, but it will get done, and he can move along with the project.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 02:54:42 pm
38 tooth Cam gear on the UCE's.... 36 on the AVL's  and Iron barrels ? 

40 tooth on the AVL and iron barrel cam gear, cam spindles on (nominally!) 2" centers in accordance with the old Redditch design.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 10:38:05 pm
  Got it.   Thanks Adrian.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.