Author Topic: Upgrading to a 7 inch headlight  (Read 179 times)

USBullet500

• Neophyte
on: January 10, 2020, 09:10:32 pm
I have a RE bullet 500 in USA. My standard headlight that comes with it is around 5 3/4 inch. I wanted to upgrade to bigger headlight from day one.

I found several options of 7 inch headlights in India with DRL and was about to buy one online.

As i haven't done it before, I called up the local mechanic and asked him if he can do it. He asked if the new headlight comes with the case to fit the 7 inch? On another forum i read someone mentioned a conversion kit on ebay. But when i look up for headlight conversion kits, they do not have any case to fit the 7 Inch.

I would appreciate if anyone can answer the following questions:
1) Can you post a link on which kind of conversion kit i need to buy from ebay. Do i need to change the case? Or would the existing case can fit a 7" headlight?

2) The headlights in India are coming with 35W and 75W and 90W varients with and without DRL and projector light. I also have plans to buy some fog lights and phone charger. (But i would only use them occassionally) My mechanic in USA said not to go anything above 35W on the headlight as it would drain the battery and 75W/90W could even produce more heat that it could melt the parts. I see several people in India using them. Did anyone have issues with using 75W or 90W?

3) Do i also need to buy the bulb from India when i buy the 35W or 75W headlamp?

4) I am also looking to order a silencer to change the sound. Will changing the silencer have any impact on the engine?

Thanks,

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 10:31:08 pm
If by "case" you mean the housing the headlight and its rim is attached to, the answer is no, you do not have to change the case.

The 7" size headlight is the stock headlight for the Royal Enfield bullets so if you are buying the headlight reflector and the chrome rims that it mounts in as a kit from India, you are good to go. The bulb should come with it.

The bulb in the 7" Lucus headlight I bought from Classic Motor Works years ago is a very old design and it has a 40 watt low beam and a 70 watt high beam.
At an idle, the low beam drops the system voltage down to 12 volts so it isn't charging the battery at that speed.  Slightly above that speed, the voltage rises to 13 so it is just slightly charging the battery.
At riding speeds, the voltage rises to somewhere in the 14 to 15 volt range so the battery is being charged.

If I was in your shoes, I would stick with the 35/75 watt bulb.

IMO, as long as the new "silencer" has some restriction, it will probably be ok for your engine.  I wouldn't recommend going to a straight thru exhaust though.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

USBullet500

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 01:55:33 am
Thanks for your response.

All the stock headlights in India are 7" size. So they do not sell the chrome rims with it in as a set in India. I will have to buy the rim seperately.

I still am not sure if i need to buy a conversion kit from eBay as this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Royal-Enfield-Headlight-Headlamp-HID-Conversion-Kit-and-Bulb-US-Exp/401997646906

olhogrider

• 650 Interceptor
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 09:22:12 pm

All the stock headlights in India are 7" size. So they do not sell the chrome rims with it in as a set in India. I will have to buy the rim seperately.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Royal-Enfield-Headlight-Headlamp-HID-Conversion-Kit-and-Bulb-US-Exp/401997646906

I got mine from Hitchcock's. They include everything you need. Then I swapped to an LED H4 bulb. It is what they need and well worth it.

USBullet500

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 10:33:33 pm
Where is Hitchcocks?

I finally found the headlight and the 7 inch rim that i am going to purchase. Can the 7" rim be replaced easily or do i need to buy anything else to make it work?

olhogrider

• 650 Interceptor
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 08:11:11 pm
Where is Hitchcocks?

I finally found the headlight and the 7 inch rim that i am going to purchase. Can the 7" rim be replaced easily or do i need to buy anything else to make it work?
You need the inner ring as well.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Head-Lights-and-fittings-Lighting/34284

Enfield Pro

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 12:00:56 pm
Tim
2009 G5 Military W/Sidecar
USCA #9136
REOC Member

olhogrider

• 650 Interceptor
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 09:29:49 pm
Just skip any sealed beam option. A 7" H4 with LED is like night and day difference.

olhogrider

• 650 Interceptor
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 09:32:15 pm

I just noticed the link you shared is HID. You DO NOT want that! They use a lot of electric and put out a lot of heat. Like dangerous amounts. Stick with LED.

USBullet500

• Neophyte
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 11:23:06 pm
https://westerncyclesupply.com/7-headlight-kit-w-bulb/

With this option, would the the headlight comes fixed to the outer bezzel? Or can upgrade the headlight to LED headlight later?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 03:47:41 am
The bulb face says Sylvania Halogen on it so I'm pretty sure that is a sealed beam headlight.
If it is, whatever LED you plan on replacing it with would have to be a full size 7" light.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary