Author Topic: Turning off engine with key  (Read 390 times)

axman88

• Bulleteer
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 11:23:27 PM
I saw a U-tube video, where a moto rider was demonstrating how to make "awesome backfires" by using the kill switch.  He was cruising in low gear in a parking garage, used the kill switch to interrupt the ignition, then switched back on while still rolling to produce a satisfyingly loud blast that echoed through the structure.

This seems like a bad idea to me.  Am I getting old?  Is this "a thing"?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • Live slow, die whenever
Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 06:21:31 AM
I saw a U-tube video, where a moto rider was demonstrating how to make "awesome backfires" by using the kill switch.  He was cruising in low gear in a parking garage, used the kill switch to interrupt the ignition, then switched back on while still rolling to produce a satisfyingly loud blast that echoed through the structure.

AKA "Key Bangers". Too much fun.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
Monster
DR250
DRZ400SM

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 02:23:24 PM

I've seen (and heard) firsthand what I was led to understand was an old street-rodders' show-off trick of fitting a sparkplug into the end of the exhaust pipe, whereby one kills the ignition briefly, restarts, and a fair helping of unburnt fuel would erupt in an huge earsplitting tongue of flame. Stupid? Sure. The fact that this was done with an amphibious Amphicar ON THE WATER seemed doubly so.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.