Author Topic: Gear indicator  (Read 18277 times)

fjrwheels

• Scooter
on: October 28, 2019, 07:10:44 am
Hello all, thought you might like to see the small dashboard I made for my gear indicator. Three attempts before I was happy. I am really happy with my Interceptor. Done a few mods now.
I live in Cyprus, not a lot of rain during the year. As far as i know, I have the only one in Cyprus.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 09:06:33 am by fjrwheels »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 01:03:38 pm
Really good job. Looks like plexiglass.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 03:27:16 pm
Hello all, thought you might like to see the small dashboard I made for my gear indicator. Three attempts before I was happy. I am really happy with my Interceptor. Done a few mods now.
I live in Cyprus, not a lot of rain during the year. As far as i know, I have the only one in Cyprus.

Nice work!.. Can you share some details, what, how etc.? Thanks.

I envy your location. Happy motoring  :)
Guy
19 Conti GT in Dr Mayhem paint 08/24/2019
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

fjrwheels

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 03:36:02 pm
Thank you. You are right. Reused an old smoked piece I found.

fjrwheels

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 03:38:50 pm
Dr Mayhem. I had an old photo frame with a smoked plexi glass front. Drew an outline round the gauges on cardboard and used a Dremel to cut out the shape. Took three attempts!!

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 03:56:54 pm
Do you have a link for the indicator?
Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Roshiba777

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 07:31:06 am
How the gear indicator works means where to connect which wire sometimes I forget to shift to 6th gear ????
Royal Enfield CI 500 (2000)
Royal Enfield STD UCE 500 (2010)
Royal Enfield Classic 500 (2011)
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 (2011)
Yamaha RD350 (1988)
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 (2019)

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 04:27:16 pm
How the gear indicator works means where to connect which wire sometimes I forget to shift to 6th gear ????

So I'll assume hokey add-on with external sensors rather than internally wired to access ECU data
Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Sprinter

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 12:29:17 am
Looks really professional, can you give us some details about the gear indicator please as I would like to fit one myself.
Cheers.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 01:32:02 am
I don't really need a gear indicator but I sure would like a simple light to tell me when I'm in 6th. Sometimes I lose track.

58webbing

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 09:05:28 am
This is just what I need and have ordered one to fit over the winter. With the interceptor engine being so flexible and my other bikes a RE 500 Classic (thumper) and a Honda CB650R (buzz bomb) I regularly lose track of what gear I'm in.
Question, what happens if you miss a gear, ie. you have to take 2 prods to get it to engage, does the indicator then show the wrong gear. You move the lever, the indicator registers a change but you have missed the gear and have another go (it happens to me on the odd occasion)
All I can think of is that you will have to stop, power off, reselect neutral and start over.
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor
2019 Honda CB650R
2020 SurRon Light Bee
2018 Royal Enfield Bullet
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 02:40:34 pm
If you have a reasonably accurate speedometer and tachometer, you can figure out your ratio.

Seems like a guy could paste a cheat sheet on his tank that shows rpm vs speed in the various ratios, until he trained his brain to just know.  The bottom line is that if the engine isn't in the rpm range that you want, you shift.  To my way of thinking, the only one position really need to be sure of is neutral.  I get a false neutral position between 2 & 3 on my 2012 C5.  Starting in 2nd can be embarrassing and hard on the engine.

I thought I needed a tach. on my C5 when I first bought it, but quickly realized that the sound of the engine is all the tach. I really needed.

I'm sure not enthusiastic about a gadget that counts shift lever pushes.  That seems unreliable as can be.  A gadget that is giving wrong information is worse than no information.  To reliably know what ratio was selected on a 5 or 6 speed gearbox, I think you would need at least 3 micro switches INSIDE the gearbox, plus a simple logic circuit.

To my mind, these gadgets, even from the factory, are just "sizzle" to sell bikes to the uninitiated, and one more thing to break, one more thing to take to the dealer for repairs, and one more thing to buy expensive replacement parts for.  I don't like power windows or locks in my car for the same reasons.

To know what engine rpm is preferred, it's worth taking a good hard look at your engines torque and HP curve.  For boat engines there's a 3rd curve, which gives fuel consumption vs. rpm, but that's found experimentally and only applies to a fixed ratio drive train and assumes consistent resistance ( not variable winds or currents).

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 08:49:21 pm
https://kosonorthamerica.com/product/tnt-04-multifunction-meter/

I had this on my Yamaha. It calculates the gear via RPM vs MPH. It's not rocket surgery. I don't know why everyone doesn't do this. The inputs are already there. The one for the Yamaha comes preprogrammed but they can all be reprogrammed. Accurate to within 1 MPH. It doesn't work at a dead stop because there's no MPH to compare.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 08:51:24 pm
I should add that the real reason to put one on a Yamaha Bolt is because the stock speedo is invisible in daylight. I wouldn't pay $300 just for the gear indicator.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 10:48:27 pm

Question, what happens if you miss a gear, ie. you have to take 2 prods to get it to engage, does the indicator then show the wrong gear. You move the lever, the indicator registers a change but you have missed the gear and have another go (it happens to me on the odd occasion)
All I can think of is that you will have to stop, power off, reselect neutral and start over.

I do not have an interceptor but on previous bikes that had gear indicators it seemed to directly sense the correct gear to display rather than " counting" up and down from neutral.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 10:18:32 pm
https://kosonorthamerica.com/product/tnt-04-multifunction-meter/
I had this on my Yamaha. It calculates the gear via RPM vs MPH.

Thanks for sharing the link, an interesting gadget.  It has it's own sensor to measure turns of the wheel for calculating velocity, and senses ignition pulses to calculate RPMs via it's own sensor wires.  Then, as you said, gives gearbox position via internal calculation after calibrating in learn mode.  So, truly independent of the mechanical and electrical systems of the bike, other than requiring power.  You could even use it on something like a C5, which has a mechanical speedo and provides no tachometer hookup, although the C5's ECU knows what rpm the engine is turning via the crank position sensor.

Seems pricey at $299, but I'm sure a lot less expensive than getting all the required hardware and software together from scratch.

fjrwheels

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 06:55:59 am
Sorry people, constantly getting errors when posting a reply.

Sprinter

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: November 05, 2019, 07:23:10 am
Maybe I missed it but can someone tell me which gear indicator do you recommend for the Interceptor please?

re_vee_kay

• Neophyte
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 01:37:13 pm

Hello Broher, can you please share details on how you connected the indicator?  The wiring diagram?  This looks awesome!!  Kudos to you

Sprinter

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 08:13:25 am
Hi Everybody
In case anybody is interested I have had this info re the Interceptor from Healtech

....This kit should work great with your bike, part no.:
GPXT + GPX-U01

It requires tapping 4 wires (power, ground, speed signal, rpm signal) with the supplied quick wire-tap connectors .
Here is the install manual:
https://www.healtech-electronics.com/docs/GPX-U01_InstallGuide_en.pdf

For pricing and ordering information, please contact the distributor in your country:
  www.healtech-electronics.com/wheretobuy

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 08:24:38 am
I don't need no flippin' gear indicator.  If the engine is lugging and lurching or won't rev any higher or I just need more power or zip it's time to shift.  It isn't rocket science.
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 03:55:03 pm
I wonder if these "figure it out by dividing rpm by vehicle speed" gadgets don't get confused if you are coasting in neutral and blip the throttle?

NuttyRusty

• Bulleteer
  • Little Snoring, United Kingdom
Reply #22 on: December 09, 2019, 04:13:28 pm
Jimku , you stole the words right out of my mouth. I don't have time to look at pie charts and graphs to work out which gear I need, simply feel and listen,  the old gal tells you whether she's happy or not.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 09, 2019, 07:53:08 pm
I wonder if these "figure it out by dividing rpm by vehicle speed" gadgets don't get confused if you are coasting in neutral and blip the throttle?

It does but it's not like that's really a problem. It also stops working when you are stopped.

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: December 09, 2019, 09:36:00 pm
I'd say that there's at least a 50% chance the 650 ECU is already setup to read gear voltage and display it?

Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #25 on: December 09, 2019, 10:04:13 pm
Jimku , you stole the words right out of my mouth. I don't have time to look at pie charts and graphs to work out which gear I need, simply feel and listen,  the old gal tells you whether she's happy or not.
Yeah, some people just love gadgets.  I'm working on a butt-indicator to tell the rider his butt is in the saddle.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:09:22 pm by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: December 09, 2019, 10:34:51 pm
Yeah, some people just love gadgets.  I'm working on a butt-indicator to tell the rider his butt is in the saddle.

I thought that cars already had that feature and I believe some of them measure your weight to verify that you are heavy enough to sit in the front seat.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #27 on: December 10, 2019, 07:37:23 am
I thought that cars already had that feature and I believe some of them measure your weight to verify that you are heavy enough to sit in the front seat.  ::)
Yeah, my Kia has those ... to inform you that the air bag is active when someone is sitting in the passenger seat.  Maybe we need seat belts and air bags on motorcycles?
2019 Interceptor. 

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 10, 2019, 01:54:36 pm
Yeah, my Kia has those ... to inform you that the air bag is active when someone is sitting in the passenger seat.  Maybe we need seat belts and air bags on motorcycles?

Like a Honda Gold Wing?   ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 10, 2019, 05:48:35 pm
When running through the gears, up down up down, sometimes I lose track of which one I'm in. A six speed makes that worse because there's less to distinguish one from the next. Who cares if you are in third or fourth, but there have been a few times when I attempted to shift to seventh. Harley solved this by having a 6th gear indicator light. It saves wear on your boot toe.

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #30 on: December 10, 2019, 07:44:55 pm
When running through the gears, up down up down, sometimes I lose track of which one I'm in. A six speed makes that worse because there's less to distinguish one from the next. Who cares if you are in third or fourth, but there have been a few times when I attempted to shift to seventh. Harley solved this by having a 6th gear indicator light. It saves wear on your boot toe.

I attempt to shift up from 6th all the time, especially because down here even our frontage roads are 65 mph speeds. I have driven a stick shift car for 25+ yrs, and currently drive a stick shift Subaru (not a WRX, just a stick shift Outback) with a gear indicator light on the instrument cluster. I don't need it. I have muscle/butt dyno memory of what gear I'm in, but I don't have that yet on the bike. It'll come eventually, I imagine. But a number/light would be nice.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #31 on: December 11, 2019, 11:38:52 am
I attempt to shift up from 6th all the time

Me, too, and it never feels like I've been working my way up through the gears when I do get to 6.
Gears 4, 5, and 6 feel short. Some sort of indicator light on one of the dials would be helpful.
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: December 12, 2019, 12:41:55 am

With a bit of creative ghetto-modding you could easily get a fully functioning Apollo Command Module navigation computer onto the Interceptor.

Its the right period tech as well.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: April 13, 2022, 03:18:56 pm
Hi Everybody
In case anybody is interested I have had this info re the Interceptor from Healtech

....This kit should work great with your bike, part no.:
GPXT + GPX-U01

It requires tapping 4 wires (power, ground, speed signal, rpm signal) with the supplied quick wire-tap connectors .
Here is the install manual:

For pricing and ordering information, please contact the distributor in your country:
  www.healtech-electronics.com/wheretobuy

Can you tell me where you made the connection to the speed and tacho wires for your GPTX?
 i.e. @ the ecu, under the tank or inside the headlight shell. Do you remember what color the wires were?
 Thanks in advance.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #34 on: April 13, 2022, 04:22:32 pm
I'd love to have a gear indicator but that one is too ugly to put on my Interceptor.  Now if I could figure out a way to customize it...

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: April 13, 2022, 04:39:56 pm
I'd love to have a gear indicator but that one is too ugly to put on my Interceptor.  Now if I could figure out a way to customize it...
Your choices are few and far between…

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #36 on: April 13, 2022, 10:30:08 pm
With a bit of creative ghetto-modding you could easily get a fully functioning Apollo Command Module navigation computer onto the Interceptor.

Its the right period tech as well.

That's some funny shit  ;D

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #37 on: April 13, 2022, 10:41:47 pm
My Guzzi V7 is the first bike I've owned with a gear readout but I rode it for a thousand miles before I even noticed it was there.
RTFM applies I guess.

Now after five thousand miles I can't figure out why anyone needs it.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 13, 2022, 10:43:17 pm
My Guzzi V7 is the first bike I've owned with a gear readout but I rode it for a thousand miles before I even noticed it was there.
RTFM applies I guess.

Now after five thousand miles I can't figure out why anyone needs it.
I think enough of us try to shift to 7th gear every day to explain the need.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #39 on: April 13, 2022, 11:31:57 pm
I never feel the need for a gear indicator but I sometimes wish my bike had an idiot light on the dash that illuminated for a few seconds when I hit top gear. Especially on my track bike. That thing always feels like it has 2 gears to go when it's in top 🙄.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: April 14, 2022, 01:04:33 am
👍
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: April 14, 2022, 01:05:18 am
 ???hi
I never feel the need for a gear indicator but I sometimes wish my bike had an idiot light on the dash that illuminated for a few seconds when I hit top gear. Especially on my track bike. That thing always feels like it has 2 gears to go when it's in top 🙄.

Agreed 👍
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

JLewis

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: April 14, 2022, 09:54:22 am
The problem for me is that you become attuned to how your engine sounds and feels quite quickly, which means if I'm trickling along on beautiful lanes and tracks at 2,500 to 3,500 revs on a barely open throttle looking at the scenery, or doing something similar through towns and villages, that burble becomes the norm.

Then when I accelerate out onto a bigger, faster road the new busy-ness of the engine makes me reach for 7th as soon as I'm up to cruising speed.

This is nothing to do with lack of skill or experience, it's just how our ears compensate for new normals. Ask any studio sound engineer, there's an extremely limited time window in which we can maintain objectivity.

Of course if you always ride in a similar style on similar roads this doesn't apply, but some people's need for at a least a top gear indicator is not because they're idiots.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: April 14, 2022, 09:58:04 am

I like the Head Up Display you also apparently have :)
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: April 14, 2022, 10:50:06 am
The problem for me is that you become attuned to how your engine sounds and feels quite quickly, which means if I'm trickling along on beautiful lanes and tracks at 2,500 to 3,500 revs on a barely open throttle looking at the scenery, or doing something similar through towns and villages, that burble becomes the norm.

Then when I accelerate out onto a bigger, faster road the new busy-ness of the engine makes me reach for 7th as soon as I'm up to cruising speed.

This is nothing to do with lack of skill or experience, it's just how our ears compensate for new normals. Ask any studio sound engineer, there's an extremely limited time window in which we can maintain objectivity.

Of course if you always ride in a similar style on similar roads this doesn't apply, but some people's need for at a least a top gear indicator is not because they're idiots.
👍 Agree
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

Streetliight

• Bulleteer
Reply #45 on: April 14, 2022, 02:59:44 pm

I just try to be mindful of the fact that the change in RPM between 5th and 6th gear is much less than any of the other gears, although I will admit I've done the same haha.
Seems to be mostly an American problem, since we're the ones who are mostly doing 80mph on our highways. One upside to the short 6th gear I suppose, is that you really don't ever need to downshift to pass on the highway, just twist the throttle and go  ;D

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: April 14, 2022, 04:41:10 pm
I was really hoping the OP could tell me where he tapped in to the bike, not revise the debate about if I needed a gear position indicator or not.
 If you don't want one, great, but I do and am looking for advice on the connection.
 I need to tap the speed sensor and tach line.
 Anyone have a suggestion on best place to get to these two lines?

Locknut

• Bulleteer
  • 20 yr A&P FAA Turbine, Heli, Radial mech, 39 bikes
Reply #47 on: April 15, 2022, 04:54:18 am
I was really hoping the OP could tell me where he tapped in to the bike, not revise the debate about if I needed a gear position indicator or not.
 If you don't want one, great, but I do and am looking for advice on the connection.
 I need to tap the speed sensor and tach line.
 Anyone have a suggestion on best place to get to these two lines?
That's a good enough reason, imho,  as is my want for a volt meter,  head temp and oil pressure.  I don't NEED them,  I want them.  It's the pilot still in me.   Information at a glance is a good habit, it's useful and can be done in one second.  Kinda like a small plane with its gear down:  You can feel it.  But gear down and locked.??   It takes a frikken light to make me know it's locked. Useful  information floats my boat.   Sometimes just "feel" kinda sucks, and that instance can be in the rarest of moments, and somewhat ambiguous depending on the circumstances. Kinda like flap position:  yeah I'll eventually feel it. . . .but darn,  I want a goddamn light because there may be shittt gonna  happen right now.
You never seem to have the time to do it right,  but you'll ALWAYS have time to do it over.

Steve Palmer

• Scooter
  • England
Reply #48 on: April 15, 2022, 09:22:17 am
You can buy gear indicators that plug into the diagnostic plug.

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: April 15, 2022, 09:50:11 am
Any Names, Brands, Links....?👍
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: April 15, 2022, 01:06:08 pm
I have not found any for the 650, and that would be my preferred method.
  I’m trying to find a spot that I can make a plug-in harness to capture the two lines I need without actually ‘tapping’ a line, i.e. I do NOT want to cut or alter original wiring in any way.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 01:09:09 pm by JessHerbst »

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #51 on: April 16, 2022, 02:07:49 am
I'm hoping that smart kids will build a plug & play ... so that my neutral light works as is ... then that "N" becomes a blue "6" when I hit top gear. In my fantasy the retail price would be $78.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: April 16, 2022, 04:23:22 am
I'm hoping that smart kids will build a plug & play ... so that my neutral light works as is ... then that "N" becomes a blue "6" when I hit top gear. In my fantasy the retail price would be $78.
👍🤣
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

Steve Palmer

• Scooter
  • England
Reply #53 on: April 17, 2022, 08:09:13 am
Several on ebay.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: April 17, 2022, 02:16:11 pm
Several on ebay.
Can you provide a link for one that plugs into the ecu?

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: April 17, 2022, 03:26:51 pm
Several on ebay.

Had a good look, loads, BUT NONE I could find listing for R.E (except Himi) and when people ask ? Answer is don't know?....... anyone found one? NOT going to plug a random one in and burn the ECU....
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #56 on: April 17, 2022, 03:45:25 pm
Had a good look, loads, BUT NONE I could find listing for R.E (except Himi) and when people ask ? Answer is don't know?....... anyone found one? NOT going to plug a random one in and burn the ECU....

If I remember correctly the Himalayan already has a gear indicator.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: April 17, 2022, 09:53:14 pm

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #58 on: April 18, 2022, 12:47:59 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcWFYhm2-Sw
Yo _ Mr. Cookie,
I know that is funny, sorta. But you could put a Time Waster label on it.
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: April 18, 2022, 04:24:08 am
If I remember correctly the Himalayan already has a gear indicator.
Quite Likely, maybe people want it with the shift light? or just different, also seen for Versy's which I also thought had one....
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: April 18, 2022, 05:51:17 am
I thought I was on you do not watch list ! ?

Was that a time waster or good advice???

Cookie

Yo _ Mr. Cookie,
I know that is funny, sorta. But you could put a Time Waster label on it.

Steve Palmer

• Scooter
  • England
Reply #61 on: April 18, 2022, 08:39:52 am
The ones on ebay are not Interceptor specific but if they have 3 pins & plug straight into the diagnostic plug they should work.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #62 on: April 18, 2022, 03:14:35 pm
I thought I was on you do not watch list ! ?

Was that a time waster or good advice???

Cookie
That is not true and I have never, at any point, blocked you.

That was a Time Waster by any standard. When a member puts up a link with no descriptor, we trust their recommendation . That one was (is) titled "How to fit a Gear Indicator". It is 4:57 minutes long.
_ It, as you knew, was nothing more than a long, rambling, slurred middle finger to any one who wants to install a gear indicator. And by extension .... the same from you. 
_ You have the chops and the talent to help and way more often than not you do help. If you had included a label along the lines of " Sarcastic 5 minute video of why stupid people want a gear indicator", no problem.
Anyway, glad you're back.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #63 on: April 18, 2022, 04:53:36 pm
I, for one, could not survive without my gear indicator, ::) or for that matter, my "slurred middle finger".

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: April 19, 2022, 01:32:23 am
I, for one, could not survive without my gear indicator, ::) or for that matter, my "slurred middle finger".

Same  - I try to find that next non existent gear more on this bike than any others I've owned  - just feels ready to upshift....maybe torque, I know my MGA feels same in top as if it could just go again....
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

torquey

• Bulleteer
Reply #65 on: April 19, 2022, 04:20:42 pm

78 bucks seems oddly specific...but yeah, I'd pick one up too.  I'd even go as high as $78.63  :)

torquey

• Bulleteer
Reply #66 on: April 19, 2022, 04:35:43 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcWFYhm2-Sw

Was working my way through this thread and that link was a complete waste.  I stumbled on that guy's channel a while ago where he tries to make fun of a mechanic rebuilding a Sportster motor - while drunk as fook.  Maybe he knows everything there is to know about motors, motorcycles and most everything else..or he's just a shit talking assh*le.  Maybe the guy doing the wrenching wasn't the top gun of the Harley Motor academy, but he was sharing what he was doing. Take it, leave it, watch and learn what works for you or doesn't, but to make a 15 minute video slagging off this guy's technique for putting Allen keys back in their holder - why?  Maybe its something a little more internal than external he's uncomfortable with.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #67 on: April 19, 2022, 10:22:04 pm
Was working my way through this thread and that link was a complete waste.  I stumbled on that guy's channel a while ago where he tries to make fun of a mechanic rebuilding a Sportster motor - while drunk as fook.  Maybe he knows everything there is to know about motors, motorcycles and most everything else..or he's just a shit talking assh*le.  Maybe the guy doing the wrenching wasn't the top gun of the Harley Motor academy, but he was sharing what he was doing. Take it, leave it, watch and learn what works for you or doesn't, but to make a 15 minute video slagging off this guy's technique for putting Allen keys back in their holder - why?  Maybe its something a little more internal than external he's uncomfortable with.

Totally agree. That guy has mental health issues…

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #68 on: April 20, 2022, 01:11:01 pm
Agree with that. It's a pity, because he has shown that he's capable of putting out intelligent stuff.
I suspect he's been trained by the algorithm.  He wouldn't be the first.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: April 20, 2022, 06:59:00 pm

roger7

• Scooter
  • 2020 Interceptor 650
Reply #70 on: April 21, 2022, 11:23:47 am
Just hope some one will supply the OP with the info he has asked for. I am also waiting for a helpful reply

torquey

• Bulleteer
Reply #71 on: April 21, 2022, 12:02:41 pm
Just hope some one will supply the OP with the info he has asked for. I am also waiting for a helpful reply

Thumbs up.  Lost the plot somewhere along the way. Pianos?

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: April 21, 2022, 12:12:15 pm

AGREED
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: April 21, 2022, 03:16:00 pm
Here's the OP...didn't ask for anything!  Just showing the results!

just sayin'

Cookie

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: April 21, 2022, 03:45:42 pm
Here's the OP...didn't ask for anything!  Just showing the results!

just sayin'

Cookie
Still looking for where exactly did the OP tap into the speed sensor and tach signal. That I believe is the question several of us are asking. No answers yet but a lot of sidetracks!

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #75 on: April 22, 2022, 01:17:32 am
Still looking for where exactly did the OP tap into the speed sensor and tach signal. That I believe is the question several of us are asking. No answers yet but a lot of sidetracks!
Just sent an email to HealTech for clarification if one of the various gear selectors they sell is compatible with our bikes and for an installation sheet.
https://www.healtech-electronics.com/contact/
Maybe we should all inquire ... ;)

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: April 22, 2022, 05:08:29 am
Just sent an email to HealTech for clarification if one of the various gear selectors they sell is compatible with our bikes and for an installation sheet.
https://www.healtech-electronics.com/contact/
Maybe we should all inquire ... ;)
I have already emailed them and gotten a response. Yes their gear indicator works with the Royal Enfield 650s. The required harness ends on bare wired that need power + & -, and  two leads that need to be connected to the speed sensor and tech signal. They do not say where to make these connections.
 Which is exactly why I keep asking if anyone knows!

roger7

• Scooter
  • 2020 Interceptor 650
Reply #77 on: April 22, 2022, 11:42:12 am
I have just fitted the Glopro X type G2 on my 2020 bike.
All connections were made inside the headlamp. I have posted a photo showing plugs and connections I used.
The instructions to connect the green wire to the green and white crankshaft wire is not correct on this bike . The signal comes from the white wire.
12v pos & neg were taken from the aux plug. This is ignition switched
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 11:49:18 am by roger7 »

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #78 on: April 22, 2022, 12:04:53 pm
All connections were made inside the headlamp. I have posted a photo showing plugs and connections I used.
The instructions to connect the green wire to the green and white crankshaft wire is not correct on this bike . The signal comes from the white wire.
Thank you roger7

joehatz

• Joehatz
  • Scooter
Reply #79 on: April 22, 2022, 01:30:07 pm
Hi roger,
A long with the  Glopro X type G2  what is the correct wiring harness to order?
I have a 2022 650GT I assume it will be the same as yours.
How many wires are in the harness?
Any help will be appreciated on the installation.
Like many others I am always looking for that 7th gear.

Peter.

joehatz

• Joehatz
  • Scooter
Reply #80 on: April 22, 2022, 01:48:17 pm
Just got this info from Healthtech- Electronics.

This is the full GIpro unit which should work fine on the mentioned model, part no.:
GPXT + GPX-U01

GPXT is the display unit, while GPX-U01 is the harness kit.

Here is the installation guide of the GPX-U01 universal harness kit and you can also find an image about it in attachment:

We suggest to splice the GPX wires at the Dashboard connector (please check the attached diagram), here are the bike specific
instructions:
- GPX Red wire to the Red/White wire at the Dash connector (+12V)
- GPX White wire to the Blue/White wire at the Dash connector (Speed signal)
- GPX Black wire to the Black wire at the Dash connector (Ground)
- GPX Green wire to the White wire at the Dash connector (RPM signal)

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/wheretobuy/

Should you have any further questions or comments please feel free to contact us again.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: April 22, 2022, 02:48:25 pm
Thank You!

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: April 22, 2022, 03:13:06 pm
Just got this info from Healthtech- Electronics.

This is the full GIpro unit which should work fine on the mentioned model, part no.:
GPXT + GPX-U01

GPXT is the display unit, while GPX-U01 is the harness kit.

Here is the installation guide of the GPX-U01 universal harness kit and you can also find an image about it in attachment:

We suggest to splice the GPX wires at the Dashboard connector (please check the attached diagram), here are the bike specific
instructions:
- GPX Red wire to the Red/White wire at the Dash connector (+12V)
- GPX White wire to the Blue/White wire at the Dash connector (Speed signal)
- GPX Black wire to the Black wire at the Dash connector (Ground)
- GPX Green wire to the White wire at the Dash connector (RPM signal)

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/wheretobuy/

Should you have any further questions or comments please feel free to contact us again.

Thx👍
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

torquey

• Bulleteer
Reply #83 on: April 22, 2022, 03:47:59 pm
Super cool! That little thing is sweet. Time to start saving up.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: April 22, 2022, 10:18:12 pm
To those with closed minds...THIS WILL BE A COMPLETE TIME WASTER>>>>DANGER>>>CAUTION !!!!  Stop reading now!

Mostly for Jess......I'm staying up nights again worrying about this!

I know this thread has gone way off topic then back on again, and that there are many who think this is a bad idea,  while others think they can't live without.  Nobody is going to change anybody's mind either.

One of the serious "cons" about some of the installations is those stupid little wire tap clamp-on connectors.  I've used them to wire cars for trailer lights, and have had bad results.  Usually corrosion where the wires get cut by the spade thingy....

Please read the article below as it points out the pitfalls.....

On motorcycles, when I have to tap into a harness, I use a soldered splice, with either "sealing type" heat shrink...or with solder sleeve over the already soldered joint.  Solder sleeve over bare wire is a hit or miss connection as well.

On my custom Cafe Racer...where I wired in a Power Commander, there was just no room for all those pigg- back plugs...so the entire harness, including all connections within the light housing, are soldered connections with no plugs at all.

Just sayin

https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/resources/the-problem-with-wire-tap-connectors/

Cookie

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: April 22, 2022, 10:22:37 pm
To those with closed minds...THIS WILL BE A COMPLETE TIME WASTER>>>>DANGER>>>CAUTION !!!!  Stop reading now!

Mostly for Jess......I'm staying up nights again worrying about this!

I know this thread has gone way off topic then back on again, and that there are many who think this is a bad idea,  while others think they can't live without.  Nobody is going to change anybody's mind either.

One of the serious "cons" about some of the installations is those stupid little wire tap clamp-on connectors.  I've used them to wire cars for trailer lights, and have had bad results.  Usually corrosion where the wires get cut by the spade thingy....

Please read the article below as it points out the pitfalls.....

On motorcycles, when I have to tap into a harness, I use a soldered splice, with either "sealing type" heat shrink...or with solder sleeve over the already soldered joint.  Solder sleeve over bare wire is a hit or miss connection as well.

On my custom Cafe Racer...where I wired in a Power Commander, there was just no room for all those pigg- back plugs...so the entire harness, including all connections within the light housing, are soldered connections with no plugs at all.

Just sayin

https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/resources/the-problem-with-wire-tap-connectors/

Cookie
I won’t ‘tap’ a wire.
 I always find connectors that match factory, then make a harness that plugs on between the factory connectors, with whatever wire I need split off the harness.
 This not only assures a good connection, it allows me to return the wiring to factory spec by just removing the harness.
 I typically crimp the connector pins and then hit them with a drop of solder. Then heat shrink liberally.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 10:28:10 pm by JessHerbst »

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: April 22, 2022, 10:28:48 pm
Just another "con" to consider, regarding those "hard wired" (tapped into the harness) installations....is that when the clutch is pulled in, the indicator goes to: -

So if you are going from a high gear, slowing to a stop, and down shifting thru the gears, and you make a complete stop.....(clutch is now pulled in) are you in 1st?    or maybe still second??  Is the gizmo really helpful in this situation?

(of course, we all simply do an extra downshift or two so that we are SURE we are in first....no indicator needed....)

So let's say you want to come to a stop but with the bike in neutral....you pull in the clutch, shift to neutral...but he gizmo says - Are you in neutral or not?

Sure your bike already has a neutral light...so the gizmo has no usefulness for neutral indication...

Of course if you stop in neutral, and let out the clutch...you already know you are in neutral...because the  engine is running and the clutch is out....in this case the gizmo would read N...but you already know that anyway!

there are many other "cons" to the installation of a gear indicator....

So make you own decision, but weigh the pros and cons carefully..

Cookie
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 10:36:31 pm by twocoolgliders »

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: April 22, 2022, 10:34:30 pm
Ok.....can you find all of those connectors for the RE?  and where  they are all located regarding this installation?  Inside the headlight or down stream somewhere?

A lot of extra work, but "return to stock" ability is desirable (I think).

At least when you realize how not-so-useful the indicator is, you can either just never look at it or remove it...

Of course you don't actually look down when riding tight?  Eyes on the road, search pattern and all that?

Cookie

I won’t ‘tap’ a wire.
 I always find connectors that match factory, then make a harness that plugs on between the factory connectors, with whatever wire I need split off the harness.
 This not only assures a good connection, it allows me to return the wiring to factory spec by just removing the harness.
 I typically crimp the connector pins and then hit them with a drop of solder. Then heat shrink liberally.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: April 23, 2022, 12:04:09 am
Ok.....can you find all of those connectors for the RE?  and where  they are all located regarding this installation?  Inside the headlight or down stream somewhere?

A lot of extra work, but "return to stock" ability is desirable (I think).

At least when you realize how not-so-useful the indicator is, you can either just never look at it or remove it...

Of course you don't actually look down when riding tight?  Eyes on the road, search pattern and all that?

Cookie
Most of the connctors Royal Enfield uses are available from Amazon. They are just standard automotive connectors.
This kit has most of what you need
https://www.amazon.com/your-orders/pop/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_pop?_encoding=UTF8&gen=canonical&lineItemId=mosnnrpsqoovwny&orderId=113-3669980-8334606&packageId=1&returnSummaryId=&returnUnitIndices=&returnUnitMappingId=&shipmentId=UfgFyHXlT
They do use a few odd ball ones, but you can get them from our host Hitchcocks.

My last bike had a gear indicator from factory and I loved it until the day I sold the bike.
 Everyone is different, if you don't like gear indicators, don’t get one, let those of us who do, have own opinion. The gear indicator on our bikes won’t harm you in the least.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 12:09:49 am by JessHerbst »

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: April 23, 2022, 12:35:09 am
Cool!

Cookie

Most of the connctors Royal Enfield uses are available from Amazon. They are just standard automotive connectors.
This kit has most of what you need
https://www.amazon.com/your-orders/pop/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_pop?_encoding=UTF8&gen=canonical&lineItemId=mosnnrpsqoovwny&orderId=113-3669980-8334606&packageId=1&returnSummaryId=&returnUnitIndices=&returnUnitMappingId=&shipmentId=UfgFyHXlT
They do use a few odd ball ones, but you can get them from our host Hitchcocks.

My last bike had a gear indicator from factory and I loved it until the day I sold the bike.
 Everyone is different, if you don't like gear indicators, don’t get one, let those of us who do, have own opinion. The gear indicator on our bikes won’t harm you in the least.

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: April 23, 2022, 12:53:20 am
An individual's PERSONAL  choice, and for me it's not about knowing what gear I'm in EXCEPT  for 6th/Top stop me trying for another non existent shift👍
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #91 on: April 23, 2022, 02:14:17 am
An individual's PERSONAL  choice, and for me it's not about knowing what gear I'm in EXCEPT  for 6th/Top stop me trying for another non existent shift👍
+1

axeman212

• Bulleteer
Reply #92 on: April 24, 2022, 09:06:27 am
So why would one prefer to have only a 6th gear indicator light, as opposed to having the option to have all of the other gears indicated?

You'd still be looking down at the gauge, and seeing a "6", instead of just a plain indicator light?

Is it just ease of not having to have to see which number it is, and glancing at the light with your peripheral vision to confirm that you're in 6th?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #93 on: April 24, 2022, 10:32:54 am
So why would one prefer to have only a 6th gear indicator light, as opposed to having the option to have all of the other gears indicated?

You'd still be looking down at the gauge, and seeing a "6", instead of just a plain indicator light?

Is it just ease of not having to have to see which number it is, and glancing at the light with your peripheral vision to confirm that you're in 6th?

This. The rest of the time, it doesn't really matter whether you know what gear you're in. As long as you're riding it right.
I like the top gear lamp idea. One that comes on for a few seconds then goes out.

I guess the 650 gearbox has a positive stop kind of feel when you hit top? like the lever won't move up anymore? The singles, if you have more gears to go you can feel it by nudging the shift lever. More gears, the lever has a solid feel to it. If you're in top and bump it, the lever moves up with a bit of spring tension, so you know there's no more to go.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: April 24, 2022, 11:18:08 am

I have no issue with being in the right gear through "feel" and Rev's but do keep trying for 7th - hence a light - never had as many attempts with the Versys or Can-am, and just hate the fact I've put the clutch and engine through unnecessary load.... Worse on my Esprit which was REAL EASY to hit 3rd when wanting 5th😣😣😣
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: April 24, 2022, 11:19:20 am
This. The rest of the time, it doesn't really matter whether you know what gear you're in. As long as you're riding it right.
I like the top gear lamp idea. One that comes on for a few seconds then goes out.

I guess the 650 gearbox has a positive stop kind of feel when you hit top? like the lever won't move up anymore? The singles, if you have more gears to go you can feel it by nudging the shift lever. More gears, the lever has a solid feel to it. If you're in top and bump it, the lever moves up with a bit of spring tension, so you know there's no more to go.
AGREED  - very rare on C5 to go for that non existent gear👍
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

t552

• Scooter
Reply #96 on: April 25, 2022, 10:09:43 am
I would need to find somewhere new to mount my tripper.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 10:17:37 am by t552 »

joehatz

• Joehatz
  • Scooter
Reply #97 on: April 27, 2022, 11:05:05 pm
The Healtech Gear Indicator and Harness Kit arrived to-day. Gear indication is in green to go with the green neutral indicator.
 Like everything else in Socialistic Canada it was expensive.$207.00 cdn.
Will keep you posted on how the install goes.

joehatz

• Joehatz
  • Scooter
Reply #98 on: April 30, 2022, 01:11:04 pm
Installed the Healtech Gear Indicator to-day. Installation was not too difficult as per their instructions.
All connections are in the Headlamp.
There are 2 white connectors one 6 pin and one 4 pin with Blue/White wires.
The Red and Black connect to Red and Black in the 6 pin and the Green connects to the white in the 6 pin.
The white wire connects to the Blue/White in 4 pin.
The White wire is the connection for the Speed Sensor and as this connection is to the front Wheel Speed Sensor the programming info on the directions is in correct.
The programming can not be done on a stand (this would be the case if the Speed Sensor info was from the rear wheel) .
The programming has to be done while the bike is being ridden using the same directions as if the Bike was on a stand.
The whole procedure was comparatively easy and the unit works as stated.
Made a bracket to mount display between Guages. May move the wire so it is not seen.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: May 01, 2022, 03:47:57 am
Thank you JoeHatz, this os exactly what I’ve been looking for!

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: May 01, 2022, 05:49:37 am
Thank you JoeHatz, this os exactly what I’ve been looking for!

+1👍
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

stevefromoz

• Neophyte
Reply #101 on: May 20, 2022, 04:38:09 am
Hi Joe, what was involved in the programming, and do you find the indicator to be accurate?

I've been following this thread closely as I'd been tempted to build one of these, assuming I could get the impedance values from the manual (no such luck, just tells us what it should be when in neutral) or using a multimeter (am yet to find the wires coming from the gear sensor though).

joehatz

• Joehatz
  • Scooter
Reply #102 on: May 20, 2022, 12:39:25 pm
Programming was done as per the instructions but while the bike is in motion as it uses the front wheel sensor for information and not the rear so programming can not be done with the rear wheel lifted off the ground as stated in the instructions.
Procedure is to put bike in first gear and when stops flashing move to next gear and so on till 6th is reached and procedure is completed.
Found it is accurate but there is a very slight delay in displaying the gear after the shift. Overall I am perfectly happy with the way it performs and have stopped trying to find that 7th gear.

stevefromoz

• Neophyte
Reply #103 on: May 20, 2022, 01:56:54 pm
Thanks Joe!

anglojaxon

• Bulleteer
  • AngloJaxon
Reply #104 on: May 20, 2022, 03:34:44 pm
Not to be overtly critical but you already have a gear indicator. It's called the neutral light.

I have a GS with a gear indicator, the only time I use it is when I want to be in neutral. I don't think I ever look at it otherwise. Why you really don't need a tach to shift, you have a speedo. When you get the sound and feel of the bike the speed corresponds to the gear. If I'm under 5 I'm in first, over 2nd 60, 6th. The tach is only handy for me when I want to now the rpm at idle.

Sound, tells me when to shift up or down. Wind up, shift up, lugs, shift down. The ole man explained to a 14 year old "how do I know when to shift" question by saying "Listen to the engine." How do know which gear I need to be in? "The number isn't important, it's a number. It's the sound."

Getting familiar and comfortable with the bike negates the need for a gear indicator. If you really feel you need it, that's your decision, not mine.
2019 Interceptor 650
2017 R1200 GS

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #105 on: May 21, 2022, 12:23:40 am
Not to be overtly critical but you already have a gear indicator. It's called the neutral light.

I have a GS with a gear indicator, the only time I use it is when I want to be in neutral. I don't think I ever look at it otherwise. Why you really don't need a tach to shift, you have a speedo. When you get the sound and feel of the bike the speed corresponds to the gear. If I'm under 5 I'm in first, over 2nd 60, 6th. The tach is only handy for me when I want to now the rpm at idle.

Sound, tells me when to shift up or down. Wind up, shift up, lugs, shift down. The ole man explained to a 14 year old "how do I know when to shift" question by saying "Listen to the engine." How do know which gear I need to be in? "The number isn't important, it's a number. It's the sound."

Getting familiar and comfortable with the bike negates the need for a gear indicator. If you really feel you need it, that's your decision, not mine.

Grounhog Day! some of us would just LIKE a gear indicator ON OUR BIKES
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid