Author Topic: How to put nice hardshell bags on an Interceptor  (Read 152 times)

jimku

• Neophyte
on: September 25, 2019, 07:39:40 PM
I put a set of Nomad USA bags on my Interceptor.  I used the paannier mounts shown, but had to modify them by cutting off the tab that attached to the top shock bolt that was not needed and cutting off the support shelves for the boxy panniers leaving me a good solid flat frame to mount my hard bags to.  Also had to replace the rear turn signals with shorter ones to keep them from being in the way to mount the pannier mounts.  Here is a link to the pannier mounts. https://royalspares.com/products/brand-new-royal-enfield-interceptor-650cc-saddle-bag-carrier-pannier-mounting-set.

I cut two pieces of 1/8" plywood to exactly fiat inside the bags to reinforce the backs of the bags and then used electric conduit pipe clamps to bolt the bags to the mount frame.  Once mounted I usd my Dremel tool to grind the protruding bolts flush with the nuts inside the bags.  Be sure to use large washers behind lock washers and an ample dose of locktight.

It is a bit of a royal pain in the butt to replace the rear turn signals.  Finding appropriate ones and getting them wired up is a piece of cake.  But getting that tail light housing off and then getting it back on with all the wiring stuffed in there will have you trying out every swear word you know.  But it is a labor of love and worth it.  I am exeptionally pleased with how it all turned out and how rock-solid these mounts are.

If the bags ever need to come off, only removal of four bolts is required and an easy job.

The rear seat travel trunk is four components, a Nomad USA rear seat trunk, two Royal Enfield rectangular tool pouches from India, and a backrest pad from I forget where I got it.  I reinforced the trunk by lining it with 1/8" plywood, sides, bottom and the side the backrest is mounted to so it is good and strong to lean against hard.  The little tool pouches are mounted to the trunk with good strong zip ties.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 05:43:17 PM by jimku »