Author Topic: Degreaser for Oil?  (Read 989 times)

silbchris

• Neophyte
on: September 23, 2019, 10:18:47 AM
Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to this forum so hoping this is the right place to post this.

Looking for a good degreaser, like these - https://www.arco.co.uk/search/Factory-Equipment-Cleaning-and-Degreasing/_/N-7zc , that won't affect the metalwork - something that can properly remove oil

Any know any good deals going at the moment or places to check out?

Cheers,
Chris

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 09:25:03 PM
You don't say what you want to degrease and why (mechanical work? paint prep? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder?), and that might inform your choice, but for general cleaning and simple grundge busting here in the States it's pretty hard to beat that "LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner" found for just a buck at Dollar Tree stores (https://www.dollartree.com/las-totally-awesome-all-purpose-cleaner-20oz/152664). Just spray on, let marinate, maybe agitate with an old paintbrush or toothbrush, and it will rinse away those cruds. A couple-few splashes of the stuff into a bucket in successive drenchings will also give those oily mechanic's rags a second or even third lease on life. As well as the 20 oz. spray bottle there's also a 32 oz. refill size that's also just a buck. My advice would be to get at least one of each, and to test the sprayer mechanism in the store before purchasing, as occasionally you'll find a wonky one.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 12:26:04 PM
Bilgemaster, is this stuff safe on motorbike surfaces (aluminum, paint, rubber, etc)?  I've got an old project bike that's in need of a jolly good clean before I start poking around...

Edit: checked out that link - their website seems to only offer those products by the case... hope they sell individual bottles in the store!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 12:32:27 PM by mattsz »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 03:25:19 PM
Yes, they sell the individual bottles in the store. That link was for product reference purposes. The bottles themselves advise one to test in an inconspicuous spot, but also mention that it can be used to clean motors, along with dozens of other things including typewriters and adding machines, in case you're some kind of time-traveling clean freak. Really, it's great stuff--and not just "for the price."

While you're at the Dollar Tree anyhow, why not head over to their small Automotive section and grab a spray bottle of their Tire Shine? A quick little spritz to the visible sidewalls of the tires now and then after a ride will really keep them looking sharp--probably helps keep rust at bay on that front rim and spokes too.

Got a boat? Old boaters will tell you that a cup of that humble Wisk laundry detergent looted from the laundry room in a pail of water is just the thing for getting the grime off boat hulls. I've also used Dollar Tree's Oxygen-Powered Ultra-Concentrated Liquid Laundry Detergent to similar great effect...And, you know, it'll get your socks clean too.

axman88

• Scooter
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 06:14:13 PM
I've been using Gunk degreaser for this sort of job for years.

https://gunk.com/product/gunk-multi-purpose-cleaner-hdc32/

For lighter duty use, ordinary dish detergent in hot water works well too.  Or laundry detergent.

Then everything gets the hose and a nice sun dry.  I'll put a plastic bag over the carb and sensitive electronic parts before using the hose.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 06:17:04 PM
Yes, they sell the individual bottles in the store. That link was for product reference purposes. The bottles themselves advise one to test in an inconspicuous spot, but also mention that it can be used to clean motors, along with dozens of other things including typewriters and adding machines, in case you're some kind of time-traveling clean freak. Really, it's great stuff--and not just "for the price."

While you're at the Dollar Tree anyhow, why not head over to their small Automotive section and grab a spray bottle of their Tire Shine? A quick little spritz to the visible sidewalls of the tires now and then after a ride will really keep them looking sharp--probably helps keep rust at bay on that front rim and spokes too.

Got a boat? Old boaters will tell you that a cup of that humble Wisk laundry detergent looted from the laundry room in a pail of water is just the thing for getting the grime off boat hulls. I've also used Dollar Tree's Oxygen-Powered Ultra-Concentrated Liquid Laundry Detergent to similar great effect...And, you know, it'll get your socks clean too.

Great!  I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and wash the bike using the cleaner and my socks...

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 01:40:26 AM
 :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 02:01:31 PM
I can confirm, Dollar Tree has this stuff... for a dollar (plus sales tax, the bounders!).  Amazon? $8.  Go figure.

At Dollar Tree, it's the sales tax that gets you - if you have it in your state, dig around for some loose change in the ashtray before going into the store.  I only had $1 bills - had to shell out two of them and walked out with a bottle of degreaser and about 47 extra coins rattling in my bulging pocket.  My wife said, "Have you been to Dollar Tree, or are you just happy to see me?"

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • "What's He Building In There"?
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 03:17:10 PM
I've been using Gunk degreaser for this sort of job for years.

https://gunk.com/product/gunk-multi-purpose-cleaner-hdc32/

For lighter duty use, ordinary dish detergent in hot water works well too.  Or laundry detergent.

Then everything gets the hose and a nice sun dry.  I'll put a plastic bag over the carb and sensitive electronic parts before using the hose.

Gunk is the best stuff. Always has been.

I've never had to "clean" anything but the underneath parts of the '08. Oil mist and fine sand and dirt. Spray it on, let it sit, smear it around with an old paint brush for a while, hose it off.

I've never "washed" the whole bike. Never had to. When I finish the under parts I blow all the water out of everything with my leaf blower. Comes dry as a bone. None of those embarrassing water spots   :) :) ;) 
'08 Black AVL Classic.ACEhead 9.8:1/manifold/canister. TM32.Small open bottle/hot tube removed.Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed.Gr.TCI.Bobber seat.Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed.'30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 09:25:25 PM
I tried the LA Awesome Cleaner.  Didn't find it to be any better then 409 or Simple Green.     The best degreaser that I ever used was VARSOL which was made by Exon Mobile.    Bike shops used to use it in parts washers.  It was also used as dry cleaning fluid.   Haven't seen or been able to get it for decades.   Probably was carcinogenic and or not environmentally friendly.   It definitely was flammable.   Will have to try Gunk next.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 02:40:02 AM
At only a dollar plus tax, I felt morally obligated to try it out for myself.

Since we're on the subject - anybody have any tricks for capturing the oil and used degreaser?  Or do ya'll just let it run down the drain?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 03:07:06 AM
If the oil has been subjected to a degreaser it wouldn't be good for anything. 
Depending on which degreaser was used it might just be a mixture of the degreaser and the oil.  If something that really destroys the oil molecules like MEK, Lacquer thinner, Acetone or anything like those was used, the oil is no longer oil so, there isn't any point in to trying to re-use it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 11:51:29 AM
If the oil has been subjected to a degreaser it wouldn't be good for anything. 
Depending on which degreaser was used it might just be a mixture of the degreaser and the oil.  If something that really destroys the oil molecules like MEK, Lacquer thinner, Acetone or anything like those was used, the oil is no longer oil so, there isn't any point in to trying to re-use it.

;D

I don't want to reuse it - it's a coating of dirty old oil all over the lower half of the engine and frame!

My goal is to dispose of it properly, if I can.  Yeah, I'm one of those types...

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 12:09:00 PM
I use a drip pan packed with LOTS of paper towels or PIG Mats from work. Old rags work fine to soak it up, too.
Then either allow the media to evaporate itself out, and/or burn it off, and/or wring out the excess and dispose of properly. A call to your local garage can help you out there either with disposal facilities or where to find one.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 02:26:20 PM
At only a dollar plus tax, I felt morally obligated to try it out for myself.

Since we're on the subject - anybody have any tricks for capturing the oil and used degreaser?  Or do ya'll just let it run down the drain?

The answer is cheap cat litter--also known as "fullers earth". Just strew it about, sweep up, and dispose of responsibly as you would with used motor oil, filters, oily rags, etc.

For a fuller discussion of this wonder absorbent and some of its many other uses, read this earlier posting.