Author Topic: The '08 AVL Needs A Different Look  (Read 6220 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #60 on: November 01, 2019, 06:25:50 PM
Thanks, A.
That precludes any anodizing any time soon.

Believe it or not, flat barbecue black paint has about 98%  IR emissivity, and that about the best you can get from any paint or coating. Thermal conductivity to the air is reduced by about 10% according to some scientific tests that I have seen, regarding most types of paint on metal.
The good thing about the barbecue black is that it is cheap and easy to touch up when it gets worn or chipped.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: November 09, 2019, 08:35:36 PM
I'd already used the VHT Gloss Black on this one. Touch-up will be minimal, and there's no reason it shouldn't run as cool as my AVL since it's the same formula.

Here's the progress so far. Gear box and chain case have been oiled, but I'll wait until the front end is installed before I go about the engine oil and fire it up.

Gave the covers a bit of TLC, too.

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #62 on: November 10, 2019, 02:09:53 AM
My word, but that's a pretty engine! And after all that sanding and buffing, he can't have any fingerprints left! It would almost have been the makings of "The Perfect Crime" were it not for his reflection in the timing case!
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: November 10, 2019, 12:31:59 PM
Glad I remembered to wear clothes!  :o
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • "What's He Building In There"?
Reply #64 on: November 10, 2019, 12:35:10 PM
I'd already used the VHT Gloss Black on this one. Touch-up will be minimal, and there's no reason it shouldn't run as cool as my AVL since it's the same formula.

Here's the progress so far. Gear box and chain case have been oiled, but I'll wait until the front end is installed before I go about the engine oil and fire it up.

Gave the covers a bit of TLC, too.

I'm sure you realize that you're making me F-ing nuts, don't you?  :) :)

Great googley moogaly that's nice 8)

P.S.: I don't think what is used to coat or paint the cylinder OR the head amounts to a hill of beans as far as cooling is concerned. And even if it does, it is such a tiny piece of the equation as to not matter at all real lifewise. I built a bike (a 1980) in 1986 piece by piece; total Mattel Kit rebuild. Every piece was either H of K black lacquer or wrinkle black including the transmission which alone I spent weeks on prepping; two years in total. I rode it 'til I sold it in 1998 with no problems and the wrinkle black still looked bright and black. The buyer flew to the east coast with his brother to truck the bike back to Iowa in a rented U-Haul and he was a very happy boy. They spent two days at my house going over every detail and history.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 01:50:57 PM by tooseevee »
'08 Black AVL Classic.ACEhead 9.8:1/manifold/canister. TM32.Small open bottle/hot tube removed.Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed.Gr.TCI.Bobber seat.Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed.'30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.