Author Topic: Online parts ordering  (Read 4957 times)

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 03:34:57 PM
My comments were about Baker stopping internet sales to individuals.

If an individual doesn't have the option of ordering the part without dealing with the local dealer it makes getting parts difficult for many.

Many people don't have a recognized RENA approved dealer in their neighborhood.

Fair enough.  I was just missing something.....

I.R. To sourcing parts, we are not set up on the internet for parts sales, but we do ship CONUS
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 03:38:02 PM by mevocgt »

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 03:13:06 AM
Kevin, are you listening?   Any thoughts or comments?

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 08:58:52 PM
Michael Baker is no longer in the RE parts business online. As for parts for Iron Barrels and AVLs your only hope is Hitchcock. RENA bought back most of my parts. I am told (by non official sources) that they are sitting in a warehouse and will not be available for sale. What RENA didn't buy went to Hitchcock. (40 ft. container of parts).

If your dealer either doesn't have parts or won't order them then they are not really in the game and are one of those dealers who are in business in spite of themselves.  Try another dealer. There are many that are "in the game" and are happy to sell you parts and make a little $$. I believe that RENA already has a system for dealers to order parts online. Baker used it. Clunky but it worked

Hitchcock is a great alternative. He has just about anything, is fair and he ships quickly. Even though he is in the UK it is not as expensive as you might think and a hell of a lot easier.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:02:21 PM by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 12:26:37 AM
As for parts for Iron Barrels and AVLs your only hope is Hitchcock. RENA bought back most of my parts. I am told (by non official sources) that they are sitting in a warehouse and will not be available for sale.

WTF... this tells me all I need to know - and doesn't surprise me much...  >:(

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 02:11:44 AM
Kevin, thanks for the information.    It was great doing business with you after I bought my 02 ES from the long gone dealer in Midlothian, TX.     I was never happy with REFTW from the day in June 5 years that picked up my 14GT and they couldn't tell/show me where the fuses were!   And they didn't know that it was normal for the battery lite to be on when the ignition switch was turned on.   

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 03:41:45 AM
Michael Baker is no longer in the RE parts business online. As for parts for Iron Barrels and AVLs your only hope is Hitchcock. RENA bought back most of my parts. I am told (by non official sources) that they are sitting in a warehouse and will not be available for sale. What RENA didn't buy went to Hitchcock. (40 ft. container of parts).

If your dealer either doesn't have parts or won't order them then they are not really in the game and are one of those dealers who are in business in spite of themselves.  Try another dealer. There are many that are "in the game" and are happy to sell you parts and make a little $$. I believe that RENA already has a system for dealers to order parts online. Baker used it. Clunky but it worked

Hitchcock is a great alternative. He has just about anything, is fair and he ships quickly. Even though he is in the UK it is not as expensive as you might think and a hell of a lot easier.

As an Iron Belly owner I cannot say I'm pleased to learn that the primary source in the USA that I'd relied on for parts has now simply disappeared like a fart in the wind. It sort of reminds me of the demise of DomiRacer, that superb vendor of yore for most anything British and even my ancient Zuendapp Bella scooter. That was a lamentable loss. I also cannot quite understand why they'd go to the expense of just warehousing the bits and not make them available for sale.

I haven't used Hitchcocks yet, even though I won a $25 gift certificate for their wares some months back thanks to Brad the MaddMan's YouTube channel. I hear good things about them, and they get a tip o' the hat from me for the superb online parts books and a nice enough little Users Forum they host. Still, the shipping is pretty steep. Hell, it's almost like being Australian, but without the obvious advantages of deadly barking spiders lurking under every toilet seat or deranged Fosters-sodden wallabies posing road hazards at every bend.

Kevin: Speaking of Enfield goodies, are you still importing those ultra-nifty single-wheeled Inder trailers from India kinda similar to this one?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 04:04:11 AM by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 15, 2019, 02:06:34 PM
Kevin's site,
https://www.cyclesidecar.com/
doesn't list any of the Inder trailers.
I've been wanting one for ages but have not been able to source one. There is an Indian site that says they have them, but either the site is broken, or the dealer is defunct.
http://www.inderexports.com/
If anyone knows of one for sale....  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #22 on: June 15, 2019, 05:13:04 PM
Another supplier in the UK who might ship to the USA is PricePart Motorcycles, run by Henry Price. He worked with Ace Cafe on developing iron barrel performance cams.

http://www.pricepartmotorcycles.co.uk/

Always worth a try for (Indian-built) iron barrel parts as well as for AVL models.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 11:19:53 PM
Kevin's site,
https://www.cyclesidecar.com/
doesn't list any of the Inder trailers.
I've been wanting one for ages but have not been able to source one. There is an Indian site that says they have them, but either the site is broken, or the dealer is defunct.
http://www.inderexports.com/
If anyone knows of one for sale....  :)
Did you try calling the phone number Kevin's site listed?  It is 623-512-0377
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 22, 2019, 12:35:30 PM
Yep.
Got my Cozy tub from him. He doesn't carry them either.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 11:03:18 PM
As an Iron Belly owner I cannot say I'm pleased to learn that the primary source in the USA that I'd relied on for parts has now simply disappeared like a fart in the wind. It sort of reminds me of the demise of DomiRacer, that superb vendor of yore for most anything British and even my ancient Zuendapp Bella scooter. That was a lamentable loss. I also cannot quite understand why they'd go to the expense of just warehousing the bits and not make them available for sale.

I haven't used Hitchcocks yet, even though I won a $25 gift certificate for their wares some months back thanks to Brad the MaddMan's YouTube channel. I hear good things about them, and they get a tip o' the hat from me for the superb online parts books and a nice enough little Users Forum they host. Still, the shipping is pretty steep. Hell, it's almost like being Australian, but without the obvious advantages of deadly barking spiders lurking under every toilet seat or deranged Fosters-sodden wallabies posing road hazards at every bend.

Kevin: Speaking of Enfield goodies, are you still importing those ultra-nifty single-wheeled Inder trailers from India kinda similar to this one?

Hitchcocks is a great company to deal with from my limited experience.  They own a lot of rights to old Enfield stuff, including the Royal Enfield lawnmower I have been told.  They will help you keep your old iron belly on the road.  Dealers were told almost immediately after the RENA change that we were not going to be able to source iron barrel parts.  My boss has one, and has been sourcing his parts from Hitchcocks ever since. 

To Kevin:  They are rolling out their new parts online system right now, and it doesnt work very well at all.  We have been on the phone with them for about 2 weeks now trying to get it sorted.....We miss working with you

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 26, 2019, 04:52:44 PM
So here I am, having decided buy a 2014 Continental GT rather than a real BSA. Buying from a company that's still in business was part of my decision. I figured that I could get parts easier and I wouldn't to pay and wait for shipping from the UK. Boy, that was delusional.

I am waiting weeks, which is turning into months, to receive parts that are on the current 'Classic'. This isn't the dealer's fault. At least BSA has an excuse. They're dead. I'm losing the ability to tell the difference between RENA and BSA.

Yeah, I know about Mahindra.

It doesn't matter about the software if the parts can neither be in stock, or ordered/shipped/received in the same month.... or year. A 1960's and 70's factory printed parts book, parts bins, and a decent order/ship/receive system from the past, beat whatever RE has decided to do.

RE apparently has a lot of fans in the breaker - salvage business on eBay.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #27 on: June 26, 2019, 09:56:14 PM
I wonder: Does anyone with any juice at RENA monitor this Forum? If so, and it is true what one hears about parts for the Iron Cylinder Bullets being bought up by them and either shipped out of North America like to Hitchcocks, or simply warehoused somewhere unavailable for sale, and now even the newer UCE Bullets facing parts shortages, as Guaire describes, could that RENA rep answer this question: What are you thinking?

I mean, I get why a company like Honda, with umpteen skateyeight very different models, might walk away from some of the older ones over time parts support wise. But with the Bullets and their Conti cousins we're talking about only a couple-few models with relatively few differences over many many decades parts wise. It would seem a relatively easy stable to continue supporting and a nice enough little revenue stream to just be walking away from.

For a company so eager to trumpet its legacy at every turn, it would seem a little odd for them to just let its real legacy wither from neglect or outright sabotage, if the stories we hear of RENA's actions are true, especially when continued support would require so few resources compared to other marques.

Every time I roll up somewhere on my older model Bullet it's a testament to their durability that others notice. You'd think RENA'd want to promote that robust image, not cull the herd. And if there's some perverse boardroom calculus in play that I'll somehow be more likely to run out and buy a new 650 just because I can no longer find an oil filter or whatever for my Bullet, then I'd assure them that the contrary is far more likely, and that avoiding the brand altogether from that experience would be the more logical and prudent action. Fool me once...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:08:29 PM by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.