Author Topic: PODTRONICS Regulator/Rectifier w/capacitor  (Read 3732 times)

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
on: August 26, 2017, 03:01:30 pm
I have been looking at various upgrades for the stock two-piece regulator/rectifiers on our older 3 wire Bullet 500's, and I was thinking about the Boyer Bransden Powerboat, and now I see that this one is also compatible with the single phase stators like ours and the Lucas RM21's. Has anyone used the Podtronics reg/rectifier either with or with out the capacitor? Evidently, it allows us to not use the battery for starting, and whether that is good for the Boyer Bransden MKIII ignition I have already installed. Here is the link!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norton-Commando-Triumph-BSA-Podtronics-200-W-Regulator-With-Capacitor-stk036C/272794763401?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D45727%26meid%3D6b46b778266143dc9b87dea0dd49b6ad%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D362063817848&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
Think about the circumstances of your call...Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks as weak to shame the strong. 1 Cor 1:26-27

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 01:04:09 am
Any good single phase reg/rectifier will do, you can decide whether you want one with an in-built capacitor or not. Here in the UK the Sparx 023 (with capacitor) is noticeably cheaper than the Boyer Bransden Powerbox (boat???), though the installation notes insist that you use a suppressor plug cap.

As for the Mk3 Boyer Bransden Ignition, replace the TCI box with a Mk4 immediately! Less prone to backfire if the battery voltage is not quite up to what it should be.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 01:48:16 am
Adrian,
 thanks for the reply! It looks like this is a good alternative to the PowerBox... 1Thump has an ignition that I am interested in, it is the original Power Arc non-programmable one for the Royal Enfield. If I get that from him, I will get this Podtronics to work with it, and shouldn't have a heavy draw for the ignition, so it might work well together.
I had talked with someone at Boyer, and they said I didn't need to replace the M3 box if I used their PowerBox... but, I am thinking it might be better to replace the entire system with the Power Arc one.
Charlie
Think about the circumstances of your call...Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks as weak to shame the strong. 1 Cor 1:26-27

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 09:16:15 am
 I think you will like the Powerarc a lot   :)

Being optically triggered it does require a slight change to your start ritual.
 Key OFF, crank up to TDC use de comp to get just past TDC let up on the kicker, key ON and then a little welly to the kicker.

It's three sparks per ignition event are programmed on a curve to match the piston and fuels position at all RPM's.

Also it has two advance curves.
 One of them is the same as the factory advance curve. The other is a retarded curve for heavy loads going up hill type conditions and can be activated manually by grounding the white wire through a manual switch or automatically with a VOES switch and a vacuum line plumbed to the intake manifold.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 12:51:52 pm
Ice, I haven't received the Power Arc ignition yet, still waiting, but I don't have the compression release anymore, I pulled it and plugged the hole in the head. My ritual now is to get it to TDC on compression stroke, and firmly kick the bugger... this should still work with the Power Arc, correct? I hope so, as I don't want to re-install the compression release. I do have one from a Harley that I mated with a threaded adaptor, and tried it, but didn't like it...
Charlie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 12:20:43 pm
The Podtronics are nice.  I believe I was running a Tympanium in my old twin.  They both work the same for the most part.  Not sure which is better tho, as that bike would eat charging components for breakfast, due to a mis-aligned primary cover.  So, never got a realistic life expectancy out of either of them.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King