Author Topic: Where can I buy a Heel Toe shift lever?  (Read 5893 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
on: August 15, 2015, 12:58:29 pm
To fit a 2015 C5? After trying a H/T lever that looks to be the way to go to make it easier to get my foot in there and not miss shifts...if I can find one to fit.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

tracendaz

• Scooter
  • Living the dream!
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 01:18:05 pm
Hi Coot,

Hitchcock's certainly sell one, although I can't vouch for its effectiveness or otherwise.

Good luck, Tracendaz.
2015 Classic 500 Battle Green.

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 03:21:56 pm
Coot,

I bought the one below on ebay for my 2014 C5, it works very well.

Grant

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROYAL-ENFIELD-BULLET-HEEL-TOE-5-SPEED-GEAR-LEVER-US-/391215179833?hash=item5b163de839
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 05:45:29 am
ODD, my 12.5 feet/boots fit & toe shift perfectly. Sounds like peg/lever adjustment is wrong.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 05:57:26 am
I found one out of India on e-bay --- Well made and I think about $22.00 incl. shipping -- took five weeks to get here. Tried it for about a week and took it off.  Kept missing shifts and just feeling awkward.  Required some grinding as it hit the foot peg.  Finally rotated the foot peg forward and fixed that problem.  In my humble opinion forget about it unless you have some sort of ankle problem.

Timbob

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 10:42:33 pm
I have one fitted on my 2014 c5 bullet. After 12 months I have concluded that
this is the most efficient way to change gear and should never have disappeared due to fashion brought in by the Japanese bikes in the 1960s. After all early British bikes had heel and toe shift.
I would never go back now.. Always use the sole of the boot and not the upper to change gear.

2014 Classic C5
Mods
Heated grips
LED headlight
GPS Speedo
Carberry Anti Vibration Plate
19T gearbox sprocket
Screen
Half megaphone exhaust
EJK Fuel Controller
LED indicator on stalk above clock
Stainless steel braided front brake hose. ( What a difference!)
Footpegs mounted with rubber washers

IrvsC5

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 11:26:49 pm
Coot,

I bought the one below on ebay for my 2014 C5, it works very well.

Grant

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROYAL-ENFIELD-BULLET-HEEL-TOE-5-SPEED-GEAR-LEVER-US-/391215179833?hash=item5b163de839

Thanks for the info. I just purchased one! They gave me a delivery date between Sept. 2 and Sept. 22!
I adjusted my original up a notch or two so I could get my toe under it but it doesn't make for a very comfortable ride. Hopefully this will be effective and comfortable.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 11:53:18 pm
Sorry not to post but I've been under the weather and haven't felt all that hot. I ordered a heel/toe lever from the pointed to site as well. I think one problem is the size of the rubber cover on the factory shifter, I've had footpegs that aren't as large as it is! So if I don't use the heel/toe I'll steal the rubber cover and use it on the factory lever!
2012 Kawasaki Versys

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 11:53:48 pm
I have concluded that this is the most efficient way to change gear and should never have disappeared due to fashion brought in by the Japanese bikes in the 1960s. Always use the sole of the boot and not the upper to change gear.

FYI not all Japanese bikes.....the Honda CT110 (postie bikes in Aust) still have that same lever on there bikes now. Once you get used to it, its easy to use.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 11:59:24 pm
Yea BUT I'll NEVER forgive them for making the left hand shift bike the only choice. My Bultaco was right hand shift and the Matchless as well. I still miss those days before the lawmakers decided I HAD to shift with my left foot...I know what I'd LIKE to do with my foot!
2012 Kawasaki Versys

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 12:50:15 am
I think one problem is the size of the rubber cover on the factory shifter...

This!  My very first "mod" was to yank that cover - I put some black heat-shrink tubing on instead... more for looks than anything, I suppose.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 04:02:16 am
I found the brake pedal a little awkward to use. The BIG rubber pedal cover seemed to always get in my way. I was surprised & delighted to find it came off exposing a British type cross textured chrome pedal - that DOES NOT GET IN THE WAY & works perfectly. Also the accessory WING NUT rear brake adjuster goes a long way towards making proper brake adjustment EZ.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 05:25:53 am
I would advise against a heel/toe shifter. I had an '85 Goldwing, which came with floorboards and a heel/toe shifter. It was awful. It felt clumsy and awkward. At first I thought it was stock, and I was stuck with a bike that was no fun to ride. I quickly found out on the GW forums that it was not stock, so I ditched the floorboards and heel toe shifter, and got a stock shifter and pegs from eBay. WOW! What a difference. Suddenly the bike felt 300 pounds lighter, handled a lot better, and became fun to ride.

I also had a '95 Goldwing 1500 with the same issue. I put it back to stock, but the heel/toe shifter had already done it's damage. About 15,000 miles after buying it, it started jumping out of 4th gear under hard acceleration. Apparently the shift mechanism was not very robust, and the previous owner had the habit of riding with his foot on the shifter. This preloaded the shifter, and eventually wore something down inside the engine. I don't know if that applies to the Enfield or not, but it turned out to be a very common problem with the 1500 Goldwing. A high percentage of those with heel/toe shifters had transmission failures around 60,000 miles. After that experience, I decided never to buy any used bike with a heel/toe shifter.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson