Author Topic: blown main fuse, only when destination is reached  (Read 836 times)

matthewjohnson480@gmail.c

• Neophyte
My 6 month old never been rained on 2009AVL, 3500 miles, has recently started blowing the main fuse whenever I reach my destination, work, coffeeshop, parts store etc.  It blows when I prepare to shut it off., or immediately on startup....stumped.  It still has the original black box,not the new green one.  Any suggestions?   Matt

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:53:52 am
If I were to make a guess it sounds like something in your ignition switch is somehow making contact with the frame or a ground wire when it is rotated between the ON and the OFF position?

On my UCE there isn't a ground wire connected to the switches but if there was somehow a point where one of the internal contacts touched the outer case, that could work as a ground path.

You might try removing the ignition switch so it is not contacting any part of the bike (except for its wires) and then try running it thru the OFF/ON cycles and see if the fuse still blows.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 08:08:56 am
Is there any movement in the ignition switch when you turn the key?

Maybe the terminals are shorting?
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 12:23:01 pm
My guess is that there is a rub/ short in the harness on the right side of the stearing head.    When you put it on the side stand it turns the next just right and pop.   Or something.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *