Author Topic: Magnetic Tank Bag  (Read 1756 times)

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 15, 2011, 02:37:40 am
Do magnetic tank bags scratch the paint?

I got one from Cycle Gear, the kind with the magnetic bat wings, about 6 magnets, also has the handy dandy map pocket on top, holds lots of stuff.  I bought it a few months ago, haven't used it yet, hoping for some cool fall weather and maybe some day trips.

Thanks 
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:22:52 am
They shouldn't or the product would not last long in the market place I would think.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:26:43 am
Well, you cannot avoid a little wear on the paint if you put the heavy stuff in a tank bag, and that´s what you should do with them.
In the photo you can see the positions where it rubs, and I use to underlay a small blanket. But the design I´m using has belts so it´s not  important to make direct contact to the metall.
Before you mount it, and everytime you put it on again, you should clean the surface thoroughly with a wet tissue. This will avoid the big scratches, the small ones are easy to polish away.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 03:30:18 pm
Do magnetic tank bags scratch the paint?

I got one from Cycle Gear, the kind with the magnetic bat wings, about 6 magnets, also has the handy dandy map pocket on top, holds lots of stuff. 

Terry:

I had used a magnetic tank bag for quite some time. They can scratch paint a little bit if not handled carefully.

The scratching occurs when the bag is taken off the tank because the magents are strongly clinging to the tank. Do not wrestle to pull the bag off the tank because the magnetic flaps will keep sliding on the tank in the direction you are pulling from and thus scratch paint.

I learnt that instead of pulling the bag, just softly peel the magnetic flap off the tank surface. I would lift the far edge of the magnetic flap and break its magnetic pull. Each magnetic flap needs to be peeled off individually from tank to avoid scratching.   
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5