Author Topic: lowering a solo seat  (Read 1119 times)

white bullet 500

• Neophyte
on: April 19, 2011, 06:18:39 pm
hi - i have a 2003 bullet 500 with a solo spring style seat. the springs are short (2" i think) and the front of the seat is too high. i see plenty of pics of seats that are lowered in the front and have read that you have to cut the front bracket down to do this. there is a large wiring harness running though the the seat bracket and it does not look like this will allow the seat to be lowered. what do i do about this ? i have seen pics of this wiring harness under the frame .............. how hard is it to relocate or reroute ? thanks for the help..........

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 02:27:51 am
Sorry White Bullet I have no experience with modifying the front bracket and rerouting the wiring  :P 
 But since you've had no responce in three days to a perfectly good Q the least I could do is respond and bump ya  ;)
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

n1acguy

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 06:24:52 am
When I saw this before, I meant to go look at the harness routing on my bike. No harness through the bracket on mine, but the previous owner may have rerouted it in order to streamline the wiring under the seat.
There are different types of solo seats. If you have the type that mounts with the T shaped bracket through the top of the frame bracket, ( I call this a trunnion) the front is fairly easy to lower.
My seat had springs that measured 4 1/2" high. I got some Harley seat springs that measure 3".
To lower the front, I first removed the T shaped trunnion from the seat, slid the bolt out of the center of it, and set the trunnion itself aside. Then, using the existing hole on the side of the frame bracket I drilled the other side of the bracket through in the same position. Then I drilled both holes to the same diameter of the bolt I removed from the T shaped trunnion.
A couple of spacers on each side of the bracket took up the space between the seat rails and bracket so that the through bolt could be tightened without distorting the seat rails.
Seat is level now.

My 2ยข YMMV