Unofficial Royal Enfield Community Forum

Royal Enfield Store & Catalog => FAQ's => Topic started by: Jistamo on September 09, 2020, 01:25:56 am

Title: Classic 500 euro 5
Post by: Jistamo on September 09, 2020, 01:25:56 am
If this is in the wrong place I'm sorry in advanced.

So I'm about to sit my bike test and after I was gping to get myself a classic 500. Thing is I'm not in europe at the moment but I will be going back in a couple of years and would like to ride the bike back.

My worry is that i wont be able to get it registered there when I get back. Presumably  it's posaible to make ir compliant with emmision standards but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or advice in regards to making it work.

Any intput at all would be a big help.
Title: Re: Classic 500 euro 5
Post by: AzCal Retred on September 14, 2020, 09:12:27 pm
What state are you returning to? - ACR -
Title: Re: Classic 500 euro 5
Post by: Jistamo on September 15, 2020, 01:07:49 am
Spain or Portugal probably, depends on where i can get work.
Title: Re: Classic 500 euro 5
Post by: AzCal Retred on September 23, 2020, 06:13:16 am
This group is primarily USA/UK/Australia. I would try the Europe based Royal Enfield Owners Clubs, they would have to have more experience in bringing in machinery.

I didn't find either Portugal or Spain chapters in my REOC search, but the UK folks would much more likely know where to start looking.

Regards - ACR -
Title: Re: Classic 500 euro 5
Post by: Bilgemaster on September 23, 2020, 02:18:38 pm
To have any hope of answering your question properly we would need to know where you are buying the vehicle, exactly which model and year it is, and where it will be imported and registered. That should be obvious.

You mention Spain or Portugal as your eventual destination..."probably". Here is a general guide in English to importing a vehicle into Portugal: The situation with Spain or any other EU country is likely to be very similar.

Your biggest hurdle for legal importation into almost any country will likely be obtaining the required "Certificate of Conformity" (COC), a document from the manufacturer stating that the vehicle meets current emissions and other vehicle standards in the country where you are importing it. Obtaining a valid COC for a Royal Enfield will be difficult or impossible, since Royal Enfield will NOT issue a COC for any motorcycle sold outside of that country. So, for example, you have little hope of buying a Royal Enfield in India, obtaining a COC for it, and later registering it legally in Europe. In India you may also have great difficulty purchasing a new vehicle. Local laws prohibit the sale of new vehicles to foreign residents or visitors except under very special circumstances.

You could purchase an older "antique" Bullet more than 30 years old (made, or at least with papers claiming  it was manufactured, before 1990) and have some hope of importing it into the EU and getting it legally registered there. Here again is the situation described for this in Portugal:

Personally, as the rider of one of those original model "Iron Cylinder Engine" pre-unit Bullets, I would prefer one of those older ones anyway. If you are presently in India, it should not be too difficult to find a nice enough pre-1990 350cc Bullet for sale. Such older original model Bullets have an enthusiastic, almost patriotic, following. To get a sense of that devotion to the "Real Bullets", watch these two short films: