Author Topic: My new Bullet 500 Trials  (Read 3715 times)

mangizmo

• Scooter
on: April 01, 2021, 07:56:34 am
     Very impressed with this so far, only completed 300 miles though but finish and build quality seems good, my first Enfield and I was expecting vibration going by reviews I have read but its fine, I didnt look at it or test ride it, I just bought it blind, seems great to me.....PS the topbox is stainless steel and is a keeper but I may have to think of another way of mounting it......but it does work well as it is (looks aside)

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 01:33:56 pm
Great looking bike. One of those is on my short list. :)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 02:08:17 pm
That is pretty cool! Best of luck with it and may it bring a smile to your face every time you ride it. I catch myself grinning when riding my Chrome 500, and sometimes just looking at her in the garage.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 06:25:17 pm
 ;) :)Good looking bike! Good luck with it.
Lynn

fressko

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 07:22:00 pm
have fun! they are not as bad as made out to be.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 07:56:00 pm
There's considerably more trail traction to be had fitting a 4.00x19 Trials universal on the front. Overall height mimics a 3.00x21 for a net gain in rake & trail numbers, plus more cross sectional area to deal with 400+ pounds of trail bike on loose surfaces. You'd likely need to raise the front fender, but that's easily doable. But all in all, a very nice rig you've acquired.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 08:13:18 pm
have fun! they are not as bad as made out to be.
I haven't really heard anything bad about them - apart from people expecting a serious 'off road' or even 'Trials' machine. If you want either of those you will be disappointed as it's really only an off road machine cosmetically and apart from the semi-knobly tyres it's not really any more capable off road than a standard Bullet or Classic model. Fine for gentle green laneing if you want, but not serious rough stuff. They are just as capable as those other models on the road though - I have one and they are great fun!
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

mangizmo

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 06:15:36 am
   Didnt buy it for off roading, but I just think it looks great, having said that, I live in a VERY rural area (North Devon) with very few roads that even allow 60MPH, I also use a Ural outfit so top speed is irrelevant to me living here, it is better on our potholed rural windy narrow lanes than many bikes though which is a bonus
     So far, I love it :-)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 12:48:38 pm
   Didnt buy it for off roading, but I just think it looks great, having said that, I live in a VERY rural area (North Devon) with very few roads that even allow 60MPH, I also use a Ural outfit so top speed is irrelevant to me living here, it is better on our potholed rural windy narrow lanes than many bikes though which is a bonus

Sounds like the PERFECT bike for you! You will have so much fun.......enjoy!
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 01:44:13 pm
I reckon a Himalayan would handle potholes a lot better with it's longer suspension, but I think they are on the ugly side and I agree the Bullet Trials looks great and they are brilliant on twisty country roads. Fun to ride and they have so much character.  :)
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

fressko

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 08:14:43 pm
These bikes are by now collectibles. Also, they are a fine vintage wine that only a few initiates can actually appreciate. If you started riding on old school thumpers many years ago, you know what I mean. People that look for "performance" in these bikes miss the point, completely.

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 11:08:43 pm
Welcome. Perfect bike for the Devon lanes. I think you'll appreciate those tyres, good on tarmac, but really good when you come across cow#×*t on the apex of a bend!

Have fun. :)

mangizmo

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 07:01:55 am
I reckon a Himalayan would handle potholes a lot better with it's longer suspension, but I think they are on the ugly side and I agree the Bullet Trials looks great and they are brilliant on twisty country roads. Fun to ride and they have so much character.  :)
    Himalayan is very good and I agree and may have been even better in some respects , but I just don,t like the look of them so much which after all, does matter to us bikers :-)   The Bullet has charm, I think it looks great
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:29:45 am by mangizmo »

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 07:27:44 am
Hi mangizmo, great looking bike. I hope you have a lot of fun with it. If you like top boxes and luggage, check out the Royal Enfield Service on Wheels boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwMtXMQ7EoA

Not sure how you would get some but they look awesome.

mangizmo

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 03, 2021, 07:34:29 am
Hi mangizmo, great looking bike. I hope you have a lot of fun with it. If you like top boxes and luggage, check out the Royal Enfield Service on Wheels boxes.

For me a topbox is essential, the one fitted may not be to everybodys taste but its a sturdy stainless steel box that will easily take helmet gloves and more, thanks for the link, it looks great

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 03, 2021, 09:08:04 am
So what is the deal with these? That looks like the same old UCE 500 single to me. Are they going to keep making it? Does it still vibrate and sound like the UCE Bullet/Classic? (the vibration and sound, and to a point the looks, were the main reasons I bought a B5 Bullet)
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: April 03, 2021, 09:31:08 am

They look like the Himalayan boxes.

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: April 03, 2021, 10:16:50 am
So what is the deal with these? That looks like the same old UCE 500 single to me.

The Trials version is the basically the same as any UCE model. They are a styling exercise based on the old 1950s trials model.

Here is a link to a Classic Motorcycle article with a photo.

https://www.classicmotorcycle.co.uk/royal-enfield-bullet-trials/

You can see Royal Enfield did a good job of emulating the original bike. I like them.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 04, 2021, 03:55:19 am
Ok. I like it as well. But I thought RE was discontinuing the 500 single due to issues of the government kind?
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

motigua

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: April 04, 2021, 09:41:00 am
The 500 is finished to be no more once the remaining stock is sold.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 04, 2021, 12:27:41 pm
I think RE still hold a lot of stock on these and the bullets eBay is full of dealers selling them so they will be around for a long time yet.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 04, 2021, 12:30:06 pm
At least in europe it is not possible to register them anymore.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: April 04, 2021, 02:51:03 pm
I think RE still hold a lot of stock on these and the bullets eBay is full of dealers selling them so they will be around for a long time yet.
Dealers were saying even last year that once the final 'Tribute' 500s have arrived from India where will be no more Bullets or Classics coming to the UK as 500 production stopped last year. There are still some new 500s of various models in stock at UK dealers, but already there is no stock left of some of the finishes - try and find a new Bullet Trials or Classic 500 in Squadron Blue for instance.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 05, 2021, 11:45:46 am
I have made some modifications on my 500 Trials. Last one are longer rear shocks. 21" front wheel soon. See: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.g-homeserver.com/forum/royal-enfield-500-trials
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.