Author Topic: Handlebar mirrors  (Read 2400 times)

OMFBullet

• Scooter
on: March 09, 2021, 09:53:00 am
Morning everybody,  my first post! I picked up my Classic EFI on Saturday and am enjoying tinkering with it as I check everything out before serious use. I did go for a spin the other day and found the standard mirrors to be pretty useless, unless I want to admire my shoulder. Experience suggests it is better to look out for 40 tonne artics. I have previously found handlebar end mirrors of the fold out type to work well for me. I would welcome any thoughts from forum members, I plan to buy the rectangular chrome ones suitable for handlebar end weights I have seen on Hitchcocks unless advised otherwise. My concern is to have mirrors that are the least susceptible to vibration. Anything else I should check at this stage or be wary of/ The indicator tell tale is difficult to see, I gather there is an upgrade that helps with this that I intend to check out.

Many thanks,  OMFB

MannP

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 11:42:09 am
Morning OMFB,

The mirrors on my 2018 C5 are equally useless, I did install the Hitchcocks anti vibration mirror mounts and it made some difference, i also addressed some of the issues with engine vibration (Carberry plate and double head steady modification) not to get the mirrors more stable but as general upgrades, and this has resulted in less vibrations. The result is that my mirrors are usable now but it there we better ones on the market like bar end mirrors which dont vibrate I would definitely get them, however i am dubious as the bar ends on my bike seem to be the most vibratey part of the bars.

Regards

JohnnieK

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 03:04:39 pm
I have these on my 2011 C5. They work great. I unfortunately don't know where they came from as I got the bike like that.

OMFBullet

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 04:30:43 pm
Thank you both very much for your responses. I did consider looking for extensions to the standard mirrors but it seemed to me that this could potentially increase the opportunity for vibration to affect them. Of course on the bar ends that too is the maximum point for oscillation back and forth but at least I know that I will not obstruct the rearward view. The mirror on JohnnieK's machine look particularly interesting. From what I can see the mount is sandwiched between the bar and the bar end weight. Potentially the best of both worlds with unobstructed vision and damping of vibration. I have ordered the Hitchcock bar end mirrors as I have experience of them on my previous Velo Venom and have not experienced over much in the way of vibration on my admittedly short experience of my new bike. Thanks again,  OMFB

kdxandrew

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 03:04:48 am
I have Oxford Bar End mirrors and they are fine. The shorter length stops the vibrating enough to get a clear view at all speeds and the extra width is good too - no elbows!

https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/handlebar_accessories/barend_mirrors_black/

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 08:19:05 am
I have Oxford Bar End mirrors and they are fine. The shorter length stops the vibrating enough to get a clear view at all speeds and the extra width is good too - no elbows!

https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/handlebar_accessories/barend_mirrors_black/

+ 1,
I also use these on all my RE 500 single bikes and have had very good luck with them. I install them on the outside of the stock bar end weights.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 11:30:27 am
I swapped mine out for yamaha XS1100 (I think) oblong mirrors, I also fitted vibration dampers to the mirror base.
Not sure if i could live with handlebar end mirrors..
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 12:51:27 pm
While I've been perfectly content with my Bullet "Military's" black OEM "bunny ears" (and I like that they're higher up near my sightlines with the road), if they got damaged, I'd consider a pair of the venerable Halcyon brand bar-enders featured by Stuart Fillingham in this video: https://youtu.be/LdNPj3CgDhs.

He also offers a tip on a little blanking screw for the ugly old empty mounting hole and how to prep that so it looks "right", with links in the video's description to our Forum hosts to get both.

I really like that "Made in England" stamping.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 03:32:03 pm
Hi Bilgemaster - Those threads at the end of the mirror look right. The stock bars on a UCE Bullet have a blanked flat end. The middle of it is threaded with an M8 x 1.25.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

OMFBullet

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 12:28:33 pm
Thanks all for your input and comments. I have now fitted the Hancocks mirrors that arrived the other day. I also ordered the blanking plugs to put in after removing the stalked mirrors. I had not appreciated that they were right and left hand threaded, with the LH one on the RH handlebar. The mirrors come with a long threaded bolt that enables the end weights to be retained. Hopefully I have attached a couple of images by way of illustration.

I am more accustomed to mirrors of this type and look forward to aligning them when I next venture out. I have a couple of things to sort out that I consider to be safety issues. I shall upgrade some of the bulbs to LED, especially the indicator tell tale with a diode kit and brighter LED. Minor jobs but looking forward to getting them done.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 10:46:51 pm
ive actually been using these exact mirrors on my enfield bikes for the past 5 years. you'll see them on many of my youtube clips -on the interceptors and the c5's. plus they will be on the new b5 too i just purchased a few days ago.
these are great mirrors with a nice clear view and with plenty of adjustments thrown in. blanking plugs are a nice touch too.

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 12:59:48 pm
While I've been perfectly content with my Bullet "Military's" black OEM "bunny ears" (and I like that they're higher up near my sightlines with the road), if they got damaged, I'd consider a pair of the venerable Halcyon brand bar-enders featured by Stuart Fillingham in this video: https://youtu.be/LdNPj3CgDhs.

He also offers a tip on a little blanking screw for the ugly old empty mounting hole and how to prep that so it looks "right", with links in the video's description to our Forum hosts to get both.

Thanks for the link. I've now ordered a set for my Commando. 👍

I really like that "Made in England" stamping.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 03:19:16 pm
Not ridden one but people have told me the vibration is so bad you can't see out of them, l wonder if someone has done any work on isolastics, l had bad problems on my old BMW due to pot holes they used to brake up due to road condition, l designed an isolastic mounting system never got the problem again, perhaps an isolastic mounting sleeved in metal could be developed similal to a bush on car suspension.

ssrealty

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 02:17:28 am
I just ordered these mirrors for my Bullet Trials. They aren't super pretty but very functional. And can mount phones/camera etc.

https://www.doubletakemirror.com/build?bike=144

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 08:51:35 am
you can see those mirrors in this clip

https://youtu.be/CjJqB52CSwo