Author Topic: Hitchcock's 865 big bore.  (Read 11318 times)

greentrumpet

• Bulleteer
  • UK, 2019 Interceptor
Reply #30 on: April 14, 2021, 02:56:09 pm
I must admit I never fully considered the cooling aspect of the big bore. It’s one of the annoying things I find on the stock bike is that it lacks any temp read out / feedback. After washing my bike I usually leave it running to help dry off any left over moisture and it’s always in the back of my mind about cooking it. I am sure S&S tested this but I would be tempted to pick up a pico temp prob and attach it to the back of the cylinder block for a day or so just to see if there has been a noticeable jump

I bought a pet dryer (powerful one) that looks about the same as a purpose made bike dryer but costs less. Have found it blows water out of places you wouldn't believe it could collect, it helps no-end with cleaning.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #31 on: April 14, 2021, 03:12:40 pm
I bought a pet dryer (powerful one) that looks about the same as a purpose made bike dryer but costs less. Have found it blows water out of places you wouldn't believe it could collect, it helps no-end with cleaning.
:), yeah, the same item in a different price aisle.
Also, a shop vac exhaust port will usually accept the same hose.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: April 14, 2021, 06:18:44 pm
I saw this and got all excited. I thought it was it was going to be an 865 cooling fan/ diy turbo kit.
I feel feel let down.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #33 on: April 14, 2021, 07:02:08 pm
I saw this and got all excited. I thought it was it was going to be an 865 cooling fan/ diy turbo kit.
I feel feel let down.

HA!  Good one.  Be glad it wasn't 'cause some armchair engineer would exercise his keyboard to tell us it wouldn't work, or costs too much, or we should have bought a bigger bike, or something. ::)

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #34 on: April 14, 2021, 08:16:45 pm

which dryer unit did you buy? Got a link? I tried using the air blower straight off my shop's air compressor, but a lot of moisture comes out which kind of defeats the purpose...
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #35 on: April 14, 2021, 08:32:55 pm
which dryer unit did you buy? Got a link? I tried using the air blower straight off my shop's air compressor, but a lot of moisture comes out which kind of defeats the purpose...
(my air compressor has a water drain at the bottom of the tank)
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

greentrumpet

• Bulleteer
  • UK, 2019 Interceptor
Reply #36 on: April 14, 2021, 10:35:14 pm

I've found my eBay order for what they call an Air Force Blaster but I think their description has changed and the price has more than doubled from £49 to £106 in 18 months!

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: April 15, 2021, 01:08:29 pm
I use a little Ryobi 18 volt cordless leaf/shop blower. I already had a few other Ryobi tools, so it was a no-brainer.

For anyone using shop air, inline air dryer/filters aren't expensive.

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 15, 2021, 04:45:32 pm
(my air compressor has a water drain at the bottom of the tank)

Mine don't.

there's a valve at the bottom to drain all the air out of the tank, but nothing that is specifically for emptying water.
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 15, 2021, 05:45:01 pm
Mine don't.

there's a valve at the bottom to drain all the air out of the tank, but nothing that is specifically for emptying water.

Speaking as a guy with a fair amount of compressor experience, up to 10K psi, and meaning no disrespect, I believe that valve is actually a drain port for removing water and debris. Use it often. I've seen a couple of those small compressors rot their tanks and explode causing serious damage. I worked with a guy that was sitting in the cab of a truck when a 3K unit blew apart due to rust. Chunks blew through the back of the cab and killed him. I'd hate to see a post here about anything like that.

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: April 15, 2021, 06:06:25 pm
Speaking as a guy with a fair amount of compressor experience, up to 10K psi, and meaning no disrespect, I believe that valve is actually a drain port for removing water and debris. Use it often. I've seen a couple of those small compressors rot their tanks and explode causing serious damage. I worked with a guy that was sitting in the cab of a truck when a 3K unit blew apart due to rust. Chunks blew through the back of the cab and killed him. I'd hate to see a post here about anything like that.

Oh, not taken as disrespect at all. I'm not what most people would call "handy," and that includes air compressors. I've only had the compressor a few months and have used it maybe five times. It's a 35 gallon, 125 PSI unit, so not huge. I opened the valve last night after reading the post here and a tiny bit of moisture came out for about three seconds, all clear, not rusty or anything. Then I just "drained" the tank of air and went back in the house.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: April 15, 2021, 07:52:42 pm

Oh, not taken as disrespect at all. I'm not what most people would call "handy," and that includes air compressors. I've only had the compressor a few months and have used it maybe five times. It's a 35 gallon, 125 PSI unit, so not huge. I opened the valve last night after reading the post here and a tiny bit of moisture came out for about three seconds, all clear, not rusty or anything. Then I just "drained" the tank of air and went back in the house.

Do that every time you use it and you'll never have any problems. Do it like I do, which is when I remember to do it, and you probably won't have any problems either.  ;)

Big units have an automatic "blow down" on them that vents the tank at predetermined intervals, some of the ship board units I worked on would pump out five gallons of water for every 8 hours they ran.

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: April 15, 2021, 08:58:27 pm
Do that every time you use it and you'll never have any problems. Do it like I do, which is when I remember to do it, and you probably won't have any problems either.  ;)

Big units have an automatic "blow down" on them that vents the tank at predetermined intervals, some of the ship board units I worked on would pump out five gallons of water for every 8 hours they ran.

Thanks for the advice, genuinely.

So would doing so lessen the amount of moisture that comes out when using it as just a blower for getting water out of tight places on the bike after a wash?

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #43 on: April 15, 2021, 09:11:34 pm
Thanks for the advice, genuinely.

So would doing so lessen the amount of moisture that comes out when using it as just a blower for getting water out of tight places on the bike after a wash?
Yes.
Let the tank build up a little pressure to blow the water out. tighten the drain and blow away.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: April 15, 2021, 10:26:37 pm
Yes.
Let the tank build up a little pressure to blow the water out. tighten the drain and blow away.

Exactly. You could also install a water separator, but it's hardly worth it unless you use a lot of air tools or use it to spray paint.