Author Topic: My Mods Thread - 2021 Royal Enfield Continental GT  (Read 80008 times)

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 03:31:19 pm
Another modification I will be doing is using the empty space inside the seat cowl to store rarely used tools...

Here... this is what I am planning for the cowl, most likely all the stuff needed for the tire repair.  Only for those tools rarely needed.  Since taking them out would require using an allen wrench from the bike's tool kit that is on the side cover.  But that is unused storage space right there.

Please excuse the crudity of this model. I didn't have time to build it to scale or to paint it.  ;D

JB weld an angle with thread insert here...

And make the cover out of thin plexiglass or aluminum...

Now... who has a laser cutter that can cut some plexiglass for me?  :D

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 04:31:09 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #16 on: January 12, 2021, 06:02:04 pm
Bracket almost done...

Turns out that I had the M4 rivet nut but not the mandrel... ordered and should be here tomorrow.  I have JB weld to fix it on the cowl, so covered there.

I think that I have some plexiglass... So I will get working on cutting that to shape while the mandrel arrives...
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #17 on: January 12, 2021, 06:45:19 pm
Silly stuff, I know  ::) , but I like it... 8)

Personalized leather keychain

Bolt for the mirror hole finally arrived.  Clock installed.

Ride safe!
Wachuko

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 09:36:59 pm
Another modification I will be doing is using the empty space inside the seat cowl to store rarely used tools...

Here... this is what I am planning for the cowl, most likely all the stuff needed for the tire repair.  Only for those tools rarely needed. 

Great idea. I did something like that on another bike project. Big seat hump not being used seemed like a waste. I cut a hole in the seat pan and inserted a boat inspection port. The kind with a screw in, waterproof cover. They're used in canoe storage space, sailboat watertight bulkheads, that sort of thing. Made a handy place to keep the puncture kit and a few bits n bobs.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 10:12:49 pm
Three projects down the line (maybe 4), I want to do a variation of the cowl. A bit taller and will hold 2.5 gal of gas.
The dream is matching "Monza" gas caps. Not a small project.
I bring it up every so often hoping someone will jump ahead of me  ;).
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 10:52:50 pm
Three projects down the line (maybe 4), I want to do a variation of the cowl. A bit taller and will hold 2.5 gal of gas.

Ohhhhh... discretely extending the range with an additional tank would be sweeeeeeeet!!!
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 02:08:55 am
I think this is why my wife gets mad at me sometimes... I have a s* load of projects and instead of progressing some of those, what do I do???  I get distracted "look! squirrel!!"

So I was putting away the spare oil filters, air filter, and valve cover gasket that I got with the shipment of the accessories... and then I start thinking that I need to get an oil filter wrench to remove and install the filter.  So I search the tool box to see what I have... none on the ones in the multi-size kit fits this one... no 74mm...smaller, anyway... put that away and see what else is in one of the drawers.  I find this one that fits perfectly:

The I started to watch this video... Where Stuart Fillingham fixes some imperfections in the engine casing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHfZCBahz_E

And I look at the oil wrench again... hummm ???  I start with some 100 grit , 220, 320, 400, just add water and then 1000, and finish with 3200.... Then grab the metal polish compound, and then some fine metal polish paste...   some black paint on top... I borrow my wife's gold marker.  I should have had her do the line as I do not have a steady hand, as you can see from the waves...

Wife suggests printing a matching Royal Enfield emblem... and voila!!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 02:17:00 am by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko

Semanticks

• Grease Monkey
  • 2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red
Reply #22 on: January 13, 2021, 07:39:38 am
That may be the most modded oil filter wrench in history ;D

Seriously, though... Good job!
South Okanagan BC

2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 09:31:59 am
I think this is why my wife gets mad at me sometimes... I have a s* load of projects and instead of progressing some of those, what do I do???  I get distracted "look! squirrel!!"

So I was putting away the spare oil filters, air filter, and valve cover gasket that I got with the shipment of the accessories... and then I start thinking that I need to get an oil filter wrench to remove and install the filter.  So I search the tool box to see what I have... none on the ones in the multi-size kit fits this one... no 74mm...smaller, anyway... put that away and see what else is in one of the drawers.  I find this one that fits perfectly:

The I started to watch this video... Where Stuart Fillingham fixes some imperfections in the engine casing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHfZCBahz_E

And I look at the oil wrench again... hummm ???  I start with some 100 grit , 220, 320, 400, just add water and then 1000, and finish with 3200.... Then grab the metal polish compound, and then some fine metal polish paste...   some black paint on top... I borrow my wife's gold marker.  I should have had her do the line as I do not have a steady hand, as you can see from the waves...

Wife suggests printing a matching Royal Enfield emblem... and voila!!

What an absolutely wonderful waste of time! Lovelywork!
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #24 on: January 13, 2021, 11:22:47 am
Haha you crazy! Love it  ;D
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 01:00:43 pm
Great idea. I did something like that on another bike project. Big seat hump not being used seemed like a waste. I cut a hole in the seat pan and inserted a boat inspection port. The kind with a screw in, waterproof cover. They're used in canoe storage space, sailboat watertight bulkheads, that sort of thing. Made a handy place to keep the puncture kit and a few bits n bobs.

That was cool!

I am rethinking how to secure the cover.  I want faster access to the stuff in there.  I was thinking magnets or velcro... but concerned with the weight of the stuff I place in there.  I do not everything falling off when I remove the seat.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 01:04:13 pm
That may be the most modded oil filter wrench in history ;D

Seriously, though... Good job!

What an absolutely wonderful waste of time! Lovelywork!

Haha you crazy! Love it  ;D

Thank you all for the kind words.  First time taking a crappy-looking tool and finishing it with a polished look.  Great practice exercise for when I have to clean/polish the engine case.  It was really not needed, but it was fun and pleased with the outcome (well, not with the gold line  ;D... that line came out bad, lol)
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 03:29:47 pm
Getting ready for installing the bar-end turn signals.  Only waiting for the protective sleeve for the wires.  That should be arriving today.  So looking forward to finishing this task today.  I will have to come back and install resistors... still searching on which ones to get.

So went ahead and drilled the holes on the bars for the wires.  Removed any burrs that could damage the wires...

And applied some paint to avoid any rust there...

Ride safe!
Wachuko

eddiesgirl

• The only girl here.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Ventura, CA
Reply #28 on: January 13, 2021, 04:50:24 pm
All of these mods inspire me to maybe at some point try to do something brash...like replace those godawful mirrors and get something cool to put in the mirrorholes. Or...change my oil, but at this point I'd really need a filter wrench like yours first. And the sump guard mod. You are like the Martha Stewart of RE mods. So fun!

I KNEW IT! As soon as he mentioned "unused space" in his cowl, I knew I was going to see a post from you about the extra gas idea!  ;D
2020 INT 650 Silver Spectre

Ventura, CA, USA

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: January 13, 2021, 06:17:49 pm
All of these mods inspire me to maybe at some point try to do something brash...like replace those godawful mirrors and get something cool to put in the mirrorholes. Or...change my oil, but at this point I'd really need a filter wrench like yours first. And the sump guard mod. You are like the Martha Stewart of RE mods. So fun!

I KNEW IT! As soon as he mentioned "unused space" in his cowl, I knew I was going to see a post from you about the extra gas idea!  ;D

Never be afraid to work on your bike, if you can read a service manual and are willing to acquire a few basic tools you can at least learn to service your own bike and make basic repairs. There also quite a few books out there that will walk you through the basics and provide some understanding of the why and wherefore. It ain't rocket science.