Author Topic: Scottoiler.  (Read 2317 times)

Border Reiver

• Scooter
  • Scotland
on: August 16, 2022, 07:37:45 pm
Has anyone fitted a Scottoiler V system to a Classic 350, if so where did you connect the vacuum hose?

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 07:38:28 am
Not a Scottoiler, but I have one of these https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/ I haven't actually fitted it to my new Meteor yet, but it's been on my last two chain drive bikes.

It works from the movement of the bike, no vacuum hoses or electrical connections.
It takes a little trial and error to set initially but definitely worth it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 07:42:12 am by Ivy »
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 08:27:21 am
Sorry.
My previous post is not much help if you already have the Scottoiler. ::)
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 08:37:23 am
I don't think the vacuum operated Scotoilers are suitable for fuel injected bikes. They have another type for those which doesn't use a vacuum connection.

Frank

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 03:36:22 pm
With the Meteor I now have, it is the first chain driven bike I have had since my Honda CB750 and I question whether modern chains - either O ring or X Ring - really need a constant oiling mechanism?

I cleaned and lubed mine after the first 1,000 miles and will likely run a schedule similar to that. I won't be riding in rain, or on gravel roads though, so I imagine those scenarios may make a difference in service durations.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 04:01:21 pm by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

ReddingRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 04:38:47 pm
I don't think the vacuum operated Scotoilers are suitable for fuel injected bikes. They have another type for those which doesn't use a vacuum connection.

Frank

Vacuum type Scottoiler works just fine with fuel injection -- why would it not?
2016 F700GS
2021 INTerceptor 650

Border Reiver

• Scooter
  • Scotland
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 07:43:05 pm
No worries guys as I have found the vacuum pipe for the EVAP system so it will fit the same as my 2016 Honda NC750X. Once I have all the routing figured out I will post a couple of pictures, just waiting for some bits from Scottoiler.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 09:53:16 am
Vacuum type Scottoiler works just fine with fuel injection -- why would it not?
Bennets did a video on youtube about chain oils / oilers. I heard it there.
they also said that O ring or X ring chains need lubrication to keep the rings lubricated, not the chain's bearings.

Frank

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 10:50:42 pm
they also said that O ring or X ring chains need lubrication to keep the rings lubricated, not the chain's bearings.

The rollers, I think you mean.  You are right - the seals protect the plates, but the rollers aren't sealed at all.  Arguably it's less important because wear at the rollers doesn't cause the chain to elongate and wear out the sprockets.  However, I've found that if you don't lubricate a chain at all it gets really noisy - squeaks, even.  It doesn't seem wise to leave the rollers unlubricated, even when the plates have really good seals.

I use the Tutoro.  It works just as well as the basic Scottoiler but is easier to install.  Like all unpumped oilers, the flow rate changes as the viscosity of the oil changes, so in colder weather you have to open up the flow valve a bit, and vice-versa in hot weather.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 09:06:09 am
I use the Tutoro.  It works just as well as the basic Scottoiler but is easier to install.  Like all unpumped oilers, the flow rate changes as the viscosity of the oil changes, so in colder weather you have to open up the flow valve a bit, and vice-versa in hot weather.
I'm considering one of these, not used the bike much for the last 12 months due to health issues and have been using a dry wax spray, which is supposed to be applied after a ride when the chain is warm - but I forget, so an auto chain lubricator as I ride would be a better option.

The Scottoiler I had on the ER5 was inconsistent, sometimes too much oiling sometimes not enough. The adjuster didn't seem to make much difference.
It was on the bike when I got it, so don't know if it was fitted incorrectly or just a 'feature' of Scottoilers.

Frank

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 12:32:10 pm
I use the Tutoro.  It works just as well as the basic Scottoiler but is easier to install.   a bit, and vice-versa in hot weather.
Is this fitted to a Bullet? You've re-kindled something I was thinking of doing prior to my health issues..
I've been on the Tuturo website, and I would be interested to see how & where you have installed yours.
Any chance of a few photos / details please?

Frank

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #11 on: August 20, 2022, 10:48:48 pm
Is this fitted to a Bullet? You've re-kindled something I was thinking of doing prior to my health issues..
I've been on the Tuturo website, and I would be interested to see how & where you have installed yours.
Any chance of a few photos / details please?

Hey, Frank!  Sorry - my most recent Tutoro was on a Honda NC.  I never fitted one to my Bullet.  However, I'm hoping to fit one to my Meteor, if I can find a suitable place for the reservoir.  Not had it long, so I haven't spent much time contemplating it just yet.

On the NC I fitted it up by the luggage rack, giving it a reasonable "head" of pressure.  Of course, if you fit it lower down, you just have to open the flow valve a bit more.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

Border Reiver

• Scooter
  • Scotland
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2022, 11:16:08 pm
I fitted the Scottoiler tonight and it was reasonably easy to do. You really have to take off the side covers to reach the vacuum pipe for the EVAP system to fit the T piece. I found it easier to take the pipe off the throttle body and pull it through to the left hand side, it makes it easier to cut the pipe as there is a lot of wiring loom in the way, tie a length of thin string to the pipe before pulling it through as it makes it easy to feed back to the throttle body.
I fitted the reservoir as in the picture below, it is held in by industrial velcro as a trial but if it does not move then I will leave it as it is.

I know it does not look like it but the pipes are under the seat and out of the way.
The mounting for the feed to the sprocket was cobbled together from a Scottoiler supplied stick on bracket and one of their cut down wheel spindle mounts off my other bike.

You will have noticed there is no oil in the pipe as some clown left his bottle of oil in his other bike and I can not get it until tomorrow so a test will have to wait till then.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 07:57:28 am
On the NC I fitted it up by the luggage rack, giving it a reasonable "head" of pressure.  Of course, if you fit it lower down, you just have to open the flow valve a bit more.
I thought to put the main unit in front of the battery, Tutoro say min of 150mm above the outlet nozzle, so it should be high enough there.
 It is the other end that has me scratching my head, how to mount the outlet nozzle on those big flanges on the ends of the swinging arm.

Frank

hotrob

• Scooter
  • UK
Reply #14 on: August 22, 2022, 03:29:59 pm
A basic, cheaper alternative is a Loobman.  See http://www.loobman.co.uk/.