Author Topic: Mounting tach on Woodsman  (Read 778 times)

RoyalMatch

• Scooter
on: August 14, 2022, 12:21:48 am
Hello, I'm currently working on a 1958 Woodsman and was thinking I would add a tach.  I have the tach drive and tach (RC83) but am not sure how the tach is to be mounted to the fork head.  The part book shows the tach pieces for 58 but not a tach mount.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 01:19:30 pm
Use the twin-clock fork yoke off a Series 1 750 Interceptor. This would mean a smaller speedometer to match the rev counter if you still have the original 5 inch speedo on there.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/9280?qty=1&continue_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com%2Fpartsbook-pages%2F3313

Hitchcocks' also have a kit to mount a rev counter on a stalk in place of the one of the for top plugs, but it looks a bit weird IMHO.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

RoyalMatch

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 02:58:28 pm
Thanks Adrian.  I do have an early Interceptor head, but wanted to keep my Stewart Warner speedo.

I see now that Hitchcocks has the bracket listed as a Rev Counter bracket that mounts to the stem nut.  Will probably do that.

Rick

Mark M

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 08:40:31 am
A Woodsman might have the iron top yoke as fitted to the Model G or J but different in some small details. This has 2 holes for a bracket, part number 32284. This would be a Smiths Chronometric type speedo or tacho.
REgards, Mark

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 03:53:45 pm
Hi Mark,

I think they changed to the big S-W speedo in the 5" hole alloy top yoke for the '56 season, '55 would have had that iron yoke. That's based on the catalog(ue) pictures on RE-indian.com

I have also seen a picture of a later Fury with the same iron yoke and twin clocks bracketed on via the holes you describe. This one came up for sale in the UK last year.

Photo: Facebook

My GUESS is that the '56 type use screw-in rather than plain top forks on the Woodsman, is this the case?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Mark M

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 05:24:12 pm
Generally I would agree with you but there seems to have been some variation with small batches being built with no lights and other differences probably making them more purely competition focussed.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 06:32:01 pm
Now would that make it a Westerner rather than a Woodsman? I suspect the two models had a very great deal in common.

www.re-indian.com/58catalogue.html

A.