Author Topic: Why you don't want to ride in front of a Tesla  (Read 1317 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 07, 2022, 09:57:11 pm
I think this article that was in my newspaper yesterday will explain why it is likely better to keep a Tesla in front of you instead of behind you.  :o

That advice might also apply to this MG that I saw today.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 10:26:53 pm
If you have a DARPA budget, a self driving vehicle is eminently achievable. But if you had that budget you'd either be driving your Ariel Atom your own good self or you'd "have your dear old grey haired pappy, 'a drivin' your limousine" as Dr. Hook might say. Assuming that this miltech applies to the everyman is like wondering why your R.E. Interceptor isn't as sporty/fast/light/powerful as a $200K Ducati. And WHO's going to keep this whiz-bang tech operational in 5 years? Elon Musk hisself? The garage techs that screw up an oil change sure aren't.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 12:21:48 am
I remain substantially more worried about Soccer Mums in SUV's doped to the eye balls on benzo diazepam than I do about rogue Tesla's.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 01:37:38 am
I remain substantially more worried about Soccer Mums in SUV's doped to the eye balls on benzo diazepam than I do about rogue Tesla's.

Whatever happened to Volvo drivers?   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 01:46:37 am
Despite steadily rising sales they are still a minority brand, 36th in World rankings.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 07:48:06 pm

Although mums might be more dangerous, at my age of 29 it was a single 42 year old who took my way causing a collision. Otoh, it might have been a mum on the hunt for dinner, I forgot to ask.  ::)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 12:48:25 am
I'm leaning with GlennF on this one. I dunno if it's folks' eyeballs permanently superglued to their phones or heavy medication or perhaps both, but I'm regularly witnessing ever more egregious or really sloppy dumbassery out there on the roadways. Apart from picking my way more gingerly through the mayhem, in just the last 2 years I've had two vehicles plowed into HARD while parked in front of my house on such a wide straight avenue you'd guess it shouldn't pose a challenge even to someone with eye cataracts like garbage can lids. Last year I was even bumped once from behind on my Bullet while stopped at a light. Not that hard, but still. I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather take my chances with the 'tardbots. And surely there could be some easy slap on transponder or other technical fix to better alert a Tesla's or other AV's AI of one's presence, like sailboaters who hang radar deflectors made of old CDs from the rigging to better show up on radar. What's interesting about the two unfortunate bikes described in the article, a V-Star and a Harley, is that those aren't exactly teensy rides. So, I suppose they'd better do something quick if there's a real issue. Never mind sedans and SUVs, they're already road testing autonomous semis and trucks (that is, "artics" and "lorries" for our Britishers) that could roll up a whole lane full of sedans.

The whole push towards autonomous cars and a consequent ban on our "fidgety" and hard to discern motorcycles is actually the premise of that seemingly abortive crowd-funded series, "The Last Motorcycle on Earth", which only ever knocked out its first episode.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 05:10:51 am
Has Tesla been successfully sued for their useless/easily-misused technology? If not, why not?

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 07:34:52 am
Has Tesla been successfully sued for their useless/easily-misused technology? If not, why not?

Most likely the same reasons the other auto manufacturers are rarely sued for useless/easily-misused technology either.

Turn your customers into devoted fans and they will put up with a lot.  Just look at Apple.

Also political donations go a long way towards keeping you out of court.

Political donations, at least in the US. are a the modern day version of the medieval practice of buying indulgences.

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 09:42:32 am
As per Tesla's PR statement in the news article "Autopilot and Full Self-driving cannot drive themselves".

I wonder where people got the impression that Full Self-Driving meant that the car was capable of driving itself.  ;D

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 02:12:54 pm
I wouldn't dare to overtake Tesla anyway. That may awaken the alian Predator in it, with God knows what kind of consequences.  ::)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 02:58:57 pm
@ #8: +1!  ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 03:12:36 pm
Steve Jobs demonstrably believed a vegan diet will relieve you from sweat and other body odors reducing the need for a bath and regular cloth wash saving plenty of soap and water. Apparently he tested his theory in the apple offices on his emploees. Still there seems to be an endless supply of folks willing to work under such conditioning. At least as long as the compensation is adequate, and others seam numb while getting their brain blown away.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 03:31:53 pm by derottone »

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 10:25:39 pm
Steve Jobs demonstrably believed a vegan diet will relieve you from sweat and other body odors reducing the need for a bath and regular cloth wash saving plenty of soap and water.

oh ... I wondered why so few members of outlaw bikie gangs are Vegan,  makes sense now, they lose their identifying  stale beer and sweat smell.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 12:40:12 am
...combined with the aroma of baked gear oil with a touch of aged gas... ;D