Author Topic: REPLACEMENT FUEL PETCOCK?  (Read 925 times)

Paul E.

• Scooter
on: August 05, 2022, 02:09:27 pm
 Hello,I'm new to the forum and RE bikes.i just purchased an '09 Bullet500es with the AVL  engine. The cheesy fuel patcock is shot due to the plastic threaded bowl. I'd appreciate a link to a good replacement if possible. at the least can you tell me what type threads are on this factory petcock? thank you
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 02:11:58 pm by Paul E. »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 08:47:05 pm
I just went to the straight thru "alcohol" unit from Hitchcock's. The OEM didn't have enough cross section area to vent my inline filters. 100% happy with them. Not having a reserve position is a non-issue for me, I always check fuel level by popping off the tank cap and looking in there anyway. No slosh, no long ride, just get thee to the gas station ASAP!  ;D
Pick out the proper "tail" to accommodate your fuel line size.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/16370?cont_page=Petrol-Tank-Taps

PART No. PTAP2; PETROL TAP, 1/4GAS FOR METHANOL; £19.75
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 11:01:49 pm
tooseevee has already been down this route, check the earlier posts.

The base thread in the tank should be ¼" BSP (parallel), same as must old Brit bike petcocks use, BUT there will be an adaptor fitted for the later petcock which might be a bit of a b*gger to remove.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 12:28:13 pm
tooseevee has already been down this route, check the earlier posts.

The base thread in the tank should be ¼" BSP (parallel), same as must old Brit bike petcocks use, BUT there will be an adaptor fitted for the later petcock which might be a bit of a b*gger to remove.

A.

I didn't comment because I went through the saga of modifying the whole bung in the gas tank to accept the petcock I wanted.   Hopefully the original poster will decide on one that just screws on in two minutes, one that does not have that awful, cheezy plastic filter bowl with its microscopic threads.

It wasn't what I'd call an "easy" job to do what I did, but I was totally happy boy with the end result.

My petcock (as AzCal's) has no reserve & I don't care. I've been riding long enough to not run out of gas without a blinking light or a buzzer or bell.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 09:26:18 am
My 2004 350 came with one of these fitted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284352358775?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=kdtD1bGgSVa&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=_mH0__DERQe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

During trouble shooting a fuel starvation problem (which actually turned out to be a badly made VM24 carburettor), I replaced it with the type with the plastic filter bowl.

Both worked well enough but I took out the filter mesh from the plastic bowl in case that was the flow restriction. The outer edge of the filter acts as the sealing washer for the bowl. Unfortunately I caused a slight leak…

I’ve since refitted the original tap because there is no need for the lower filter as far as I can see, because I use an in OE line filter between the tap and the carb.
Paul W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 02:01:05 pm
I'm not a fan of Indian petcocks/fuel taps, one of those caused fuel starvation to one of the ASBO Bullets which resulted in a holed piston.

Whatever you fit, make sure it flows at a decent rate, at least twice as fast as your main jet can get it into the carb.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Paul E.

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 05:39:25 pm
Thanks for all the input guys. Nothing is ever easy. haha