Author Topic: Himalayan problem  (Read 1146 times)

Bruce N

• Neophyte
on: July 19, 2022, 05:26:08 am
I wonder if anybody can help here, I have a 2017 Himalayan. The battery warning light came on, checking the regulator rectifier it was not working. Got a new one and still not working but when removing the headlight fuses it charged as normal. All three phases of the generator working fine. I am at a loss what the problem is.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 06:28:45 am
Be wary.

Mine's a 2019 carby bike. That first model is notorious for burning out stators.
Interestingly, the stator is stamped 'Ducati'  8)

Mine charging became intermittent. Some days the regulator and stator seemed to be working, other times the weren't. It'd change from one to the other during a ride. Sometimes the regulator tested okay, sometimes it didn't. Sometimes the stator worked, sometimes it didn't. The stator tested okay using a multi-meter but to be honest, I was suspicious.
Eventually, I dumped the oil and pulled the stator out. Yep, it was burnt - in fact, some of the insulation near the hub was crumbling from the heat. So off to the autolec it went.
Meanwhile, the regulator was giving some really weird results, not just with the multimeter - I've got an electrician mate who was able to hook some more in depth testing stuff onto it (coz he's a nerd and loves doing that sort of thing). This was the second regulator I'd replaced.

So I'm getting a rewound stator and a new regulator (not that RE shit either).

I know another bloke who's stator replacement story started similar to yours.

I now believe the multi-meter tests will show AFTER the whole system has packed up, they're not a lot of use in the interim period as it's failing. I've been lambasted by a 'professional mechanic' on this point, but all he did was convince me that not all a mechanics in dealerships well enough trained.

Now all this isn't to say that your problem is the stator and/or the regulator. It could be because the symptoms are similar, and that model Himalayan are notorious for weak stators but you won't know without pulling it out.
I confess your experience with pulling the headlight fuses confuses things somewhat and it's possible  your problem lies in there however, I've been told that a faulty earth can pull down a regulator or a stator.

Best of luck finding the problem. If you're in Adelaide, feel free to give a yell.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500