Author Topic: Broken fuel supply pipe on fuel pump  (Read 2597 times)

manxmike

• Manxmike
  • Scooter
on: July 15, 2022, 02:59:02 pm
I have a 2018 500 Bullet Efi and the horrible plastic fuel supply spigot on the base of the fuel pump has first cracked, then broken off completely.
My question is - can it be fixed or do I have to buy a complete new fuel pump? I have looked at the cost of a replacement pump and it seems to vary between £250 and £450 (sterling). That seems a lot to replace a weak bit of plastic, is it possible to just get the part of the pump with the spigot attached?

HELP!!
If all about you are panicking then you've missed something important

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 04:47:10 pm
If the bottom of the fuel pump is white and made of plastic, there is a part number

1017096/A   BASE UNIT, FFP MODULE

This is the bottom half of the fuel pump casing with the outlet nozzle. It's a cheap part compared to buying a complete fuel pump.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 06:07:21 pm
Folks have repaired this, there are other threads about it, but here's one that might be of interest.

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=29010.0

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 07:17:30 pm
If you have the alloy pump base then a kawasaki ER6 pump will do.

Off route, recalculate?

manxmike

• Manxmike
  • Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 09:06:31 am
Sadly I have the later plastic one.
Some great links there, not sure where I would find the 1017096/A   BASE UNIT, FFP MODULE which is what I need. Having done a search for it I am obviously missing an important piece of information - who on earth stocks it?
Looks like it's a replacement pump from India.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 09:42:47 am
There's .pdf on here somewhere which goes through the process of replacing the plastic spigot with a metal one.
Makes a better job than having the plastic spigot and the part can be sourced from ebay or other online sources.

Frank

manxmike

• Manxmike
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 11:43:41 am
I had a look at that, seemed like a great idea until I tried finding a suitable metal spigot.
I may be able to acquire the lower part of the pump from India, so the next problem is to drain the fuel tank. It is obvious that this problem didn't arise until I had filled the tank, so now I have a full tank, don't want to waste the fuel, have some containers and am a bit stumped. The obvious way is to turn the tank upside down over a large funnel - messy and not very accurate. I love the design of the fuel filler that stops you getting a syphon in there, whilst it means your fuel is harder to steal it does make emptying the tank very difficult.
Any suggestions would be welcome before I waste half the tank!

The more I look into this the more common this appears to be, bit of a design fault methinks.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 01:18:55 pm
Well you will have to use bucket from the pump end after removing broken pump best way l think, just remember apparently there are two pumps for that model BS4 and BS6 depending on year of manufacture.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 05:17:42 pm
The obvious way is to turn the tank upside down over a large funnel - messy and not very accurate.
This is what I do, works fast, gets most of the fuel out, the last bit comes out through the bottom after the pump assy is removed.

I use concrete blocks and bricks to build a secure nest for my gas can and support my funnel, because you don't want to drop your tank.

manxmike

• Manxmike
  • Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 06:40:51 pm
Tank now empty, pump removed and stripped into it's two component parts. Been corresponding with a nice chap who is looking into availability and carriage costs from India to the Isle of Man, so fingers crossed.

manxmike

• Manxmike
  • Scooter
Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 05:03:57 pm
The guy in India has found a source for the part, but it would cost over £60 carriage to the UK, not even to the Isle of Man. Since that's three times the price of the part I'm trying to source something in the UK. So far I've contacted about 12 Enfield dealers, now it's wait and see if any of them can help.
The other option would be to drill, thread and insert a metal spigot, only trouble is I can't find one anywhere - any thoughts?
Thanks

Saxe

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 05:37:56 pm
Is there no one on the isle of man with a lathe? He can certainly make a new spigot for little money.

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 06:26:44 pm
There may be another way to repair the broken nozzle to buy more time until you find the part at the dealership. I would try and find a split dowel pin that could be pressed fit into the nozzle and the hole at the base of the fuel pump. Use the split dowel pin to join the broken nozzle to the fuel pump body. Then take a soldering iron and melt the plastic lightly to bond the plastic nozzle to the plastic fuel pump base. Once that's done use a bit of JB weld or any other epoxy that's fuel resistant and seal the joint. Using a 120 grit sand paper lightly scuff the surfaces can help the epoxy "bite" into the surfaces.

Saxe

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 07:17:38 pm
Or this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393971106663?hash=item5bba820367:g:ur0AAOSwp9ZiIbXq

This has the best BSP Thread Size M5x0,8. IMHO is M6x0.8 the max that you can use...

manxmike

• Manxmike
  • Scooter
Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 08:31:01 pm
Or this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393971106663?hash=item5bba820367:g:ur0AAOSwp9ZiIbXq

This has the best BSP Thread Size M5x0,8. IMHO is M6x0.8 the max that you can use...

Thanks, that looks perfect, how they can do that for £1.79 including postage from China is beyond me. I've ordered one so we'll see how it goes.

MannP

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: July 19, 2022, 09:22:36 am
Mike, I have had great success fitting the metal outlet and have had 6 months trouble free riding on my 2018 bullet. I ordered from Racing Planet UK and bought two different outlets and used the one which looked like it would fit the best, it was the 6mm from memory; i bought these, they were only a few quid each:

1 x   vacuum hose connection M5 d=4.5mm   IP26603
1 x   vacuum hose connection M5 d=6mm   IP26602

Regards

manxmike

• Manxmike
  • Scooter
Reply #17 on: July 19, 2022, 01:02:17 pm
Thanks, I have discovered that the base section of the fuel pump is readily (and cheaply) available in India, but not in the UK. Suppliers will order it, but costs vary between £50 and £80 for the same part, with delivery to the UK varying from 4 weeks to open ended if at all.
Given that this is a very common problem with this particular fuel pump, fitted to most modern RE Bullets it seems strange that none of the UK suppliers have laid in a stock of them.
I rather think the metal adaptation you have done is the way to go - did you have any major problems fitting it?

MannP

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: July 20, 2022, 10:43:14 am
The job to fit the new metal inlet was quite straight forward. I filed the stump on the fuel pump flat and then tapped a new thread (make sure to get it as square as possible) and blew the debris out with an air line, then screwed in the new inlet nozzle with some PTFE tape on the thread. I screwed it in finger tight against the rubber washer and then nipped it up slightly with a spanner. I have not had any issues since.

manxmike

• Manxmike
  • Scooter
Reply #19 on: August 17, 2022, 03:30:51 pm
Managed to get a fuel pump for just over £100 (some are asking over £400 for the same OEM item!), fitted and working perfectly.
I still reckon there is a business opportunity for someone with some spare dosh to ship over a batch of bottom section parts for the fuel pump from India. The cost of the part is next to nothing out there, carriage on a box of them would be cheap enough as they weigh nothing and could be sold here in the UK at £40 - £50 each making a nice profit.
Sadly I only have the old age pension to live on, by the end of the month there's sod all left, so I can't afford to do the deal.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #20 on: August 21, 2022, 09:02:57 am
I don't understand why you paid £100 for a new pump when you could have repaired your own for a couple of quid?
I'm a pensioner too, so need to watch the pennies. I certainly would have at least tried to repair mine before lashing out that much.

Frank

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 21, 2022, 09:34:26 am
Managed to get a fuel pump for just over £100 (some are asking over £400 for the same OEM item!), fitted and working perfectly.
I still reckon there is a business opportunity for someone with some spare dosh to ship over a batch of bottom section parts for the fuel pump from India. The cost of the part is next to nothing out there, carriage on a box of them would be cheap enough as they weigh nothing and could be sold here in the UK at £40 - £50 each making a nice profit.
Sadly I only have the old age pension to live on, by the end of the month there's sod all left, so I can't afford to do the deal.

Can you deliver a link to the base sections?
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Saxe

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: August 21, 2022, 06:13:14 pm
https://www.recambios-royalenfield.es/royalenfield-motocicleta/piezas_de_repuesto_de_asignacion/1017096_A

This is the only Place where i found this part in the www.
Other dealerlinks are welcome.