Author Topic: Anyone fancy a Hunter 350 ?  (Read 13940 times)

Fubars

• Bulleteer
on: June 17, 2022, 08:25:30 pm
Hunter 350 to be released very soon in India followed I'm sure with a global offering.
Past rides
MT 50
RD125LC
FS1E
Katana 650
BSA Bantam D7
RD250LC
XJR 400
RD250D
RD250B
Suzuki B120 x2
CD175 x2
Tricity 125
Inazuma 250
Burgman 400
Nightwing 250

Current rides
Meteor 350 Fireball Red

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 09:49:32 pm
Looks Good! I like the "Triumph-ish/Crusader?" scalloped tank shape and seat treatment. Wire wheels are my preference, probably someone would swap...

https://www.carandbike.com/news/royal-enfield-hunter-350-launch-details-revealed-3072612

https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield-hunter-350-launch-in-aug-most-affordable-re-12439416.html
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 09:58:22 pm by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Fubars

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 10:31:04 pm
I'm on the fence at the moment, it's a bit to modern looking for me. I know these are just rendered photos but I they can't be far off the mark.
Past rides
MT 50
RD125LC
FS1E
Katana 650
BSA Bantam D7
RD250LC
XJR 400
RD250D
RD250B
Suzuki B120 x2
CD175 x2
Tricity 125
Inazuma 250
Burgman 400
Nightwing 250

Current rides
Meteor 350 Fireball Red

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 05:34:21 am
Hey - at least it doesn't look like a GP bike with knobbies, that seems to be "a thing" now.

Nothing wrong with cast wheels either, they're probably better since you can easily run tubeless tires. But spokes are still prettier...  ;)

One of the links suggested that this was going to be less expensive than the standard - maybe because less chrome?
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 02:08:08 pm
I’m supposing that the Hunter is meant as a direct competitor with the Honda H’ness CB350. The lower cost probably comes from two areas - lower priced components (plastic fenders, generic headlight bucket v. a casque, shared wheels, controls, etc with the Meteor) and accepting a lower margin on the MSRP. The H’ness is reportedly selling very well in India so RE is probably willing to make a bit less per sale than the Meteor or Classic to gain market share. Will the Hunter make it to the US at a proportional lower MSRP? Maybe. All depends on how fine RENA thinks they can slice their piece of the lightweight street bike pie - will it matter to them if Hunter sales cannibalize Meteor or Classic sales? Or will it give them higher total numbers? I hope we see it here it’s a good looking bike and should lend itself well to some buyer customization/personalization.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 02:10:36 pm by scott_650 »

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 11:13:12 am
The Classic 350 riding position with cast wheels and tubeless tyres, what's not to like?
 However if the Honda appeared in the UK I'd get one of those without any hesitation and I know a few others who'd do exactly the same.

LanesExplorerUK

• Scooter
  • Burgandy Stellar
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 06:53:56 am
I can see this RE - if the artists impressions are reasonably accurate - making an excellent basis for a trail type machine. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing one.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 06:35:41 pm
In what way would this be superior to a Scram 411?

markm228

• New RE & Meteor 350 Owner
  • Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 12:53:06 am
Hunter 350 to be released very soon in India followed I'm sure with a global offering.
If RE bring the Hunter to the US, I won't know whether to choose that or the Classic 350! I like the look of the Hunter. Since it's sporting more of a mid-late 70s aesthetic, I think that the cast wheels are proper; they go with the bike.
Previous Rides:
Motobecane Moped
Honda Expess II
Honda Express SR
1978 Yamaha XS400
1983 Yamaha Seca 750
1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2000 Kawasaki W650
1993 Honda Helix
2004 Honda Helix
2011 Suzuki Burgman 400

Current Rides:
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 06:50:46 pm
More bum dope - The foot pegs appear to be maybe 4" further aft than the previously released 350 OHC machines, so it should make for a better riding posture. Maybe a bit less pork too. Looks very interesting, barring Big Red releasing the H'ness on these shores.

14 June 2022: Is This What The Royal Enfield Hunter 350 Production Bike Will Look Like?
https://www.rideapart.com/news/592125/royal-enfield-hunter-350-leaked/

No news since 2021... ???
https://www.hondaprokevin.com/new-2022-honda-cb350-rs-motorcycle-usa-release-date

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 10:28:38 pm
The H’ness is reportedly selling very well in India so RE is probably willing to make a bit less per sale than the Meteor or Classic to gain market share.

The reports that I've seen show the H'ness is selling at a distant 4th in a field of 5 in the 350cc segment, with #1, #2, #3 and #5 all being Royal Enfield products.  The Honda's have about a 7% share of the market.  They don't appear to be threatening RE much.

https://www.rushlane.com/350cc-motorcycle-sales-jan-2022-classic-cb350-meteor-bullet-12426675.html

Will the Hunter make it to the US at a proportional lower MSRP? Maybe. All depends on how fine RENA thinks they can slice their piece of the lightweight street bike pie - will it matter to them if Hunter sales cannibalize Meteor or Classic sales? Or will it give them higher total numbers? I hope we see it here it’s a good looking bike and should lend itself well to some buyer customization/personalization.

US sales represents about 14% of total exports.  Worldwide export sales of the 350s has been pretty good, representing perhaps 25 - 40% of total exports, but is still a small percentage of RE's production of 350s, because these machines are by far their best sellers domestically.  Here we can see that exports represent maybe 6 or 7% of RE's 350cc production.  https://globalcirculate.com/royal-enfield-sales-breakup-may-2022/amp/

I'd say that whether they offer the Hunter in the US or not will scarcely affect RE's bottom line.  Personally, I'm skeptical that Meteors or Classic 350s are selling well in the USA.  The Classic 500 underperformed sales expectations here, the 500 Bullets did even worse, and the US market on the whole is contracting year on year.

RENA should be marketing their entire 350 line as the solution to fuel price inflation. 

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 01:52:10 pm
The reports that I've seen show the H'ness is selling at a distant 4th in a field of 5 in the 350cc segment, with #1, #2, #3 and #5 all being Royal Enfield products.  The Honda's have about a 7% share of the market.  They don't appear to be threatening RE much.

https://www.rushlane.com/350cc-motorcycle-sales-jan-2022-classic-cb350-meteor-bullet-12426675.html

US sales represents about 14% of total exports.  Worldwide export sales of the 350s has been pretty good, representing perhaps 25 - 40% of total exports, but is still a small percentage of RE's production of 350s, because these machines are by far their best sellers domestically.  Here we can see that exports represent maybe 6 or 7% of RE's 350cc production.  https://globalcirculate.com/royal-enfield-sales-breakup-may-2022/amp/

I'd say that whether they offer the Hunter in the US or not will scarcely affect RE's bottom line.  Personally, I'm skeptical that Meteors or Classic 350s are selling well in the USA.  The Classic 500 underperformed sales expectations here, the 500 Bullets did even worse, and the US market on the whole is contracting year on year.

RENA should be marketing their entire 350 line as the solution to fuel price inflation.

7% share of a market as big as India’s isn’t bad though I’m sure Honda wants to do better. The talk of exporting the H’ness could be a reflection of sales in India not meeting expectations…or that the bike is interesting enough that European and NA dealers/distributors want it too.

The older 500s (even the UCE versions) aren’t really comparable to the new Meteor/Classic 350 - the older bikes were pretty much what they looked like, new manufacture antiques (nothing wrong with that - they were fascinating machines!) but the new bikes are up to date, contemporary motorcycles that just look vintage. I’ve ridden both, short rides - not long-term ownership or anything - but long enough to know that they’re very different bikes.

As far as sales success of the 350s go the only gauge I have is how quickly they go in and out of availability on the  dealer websites in my area - from that vantage point they seem to be selling well in Ohio and Western PA. I’m pretty much sure that a Classic 350 is going to be in my garage in the near future (couple things need done before that happens soon as I get the time). It appears to me that two factors could be having a negative impact on 350 sales in the US - availability of dealerships and the baby elephant in the room, the engine output. For my riding style and environment a 70-ish MPH top speed is just fine but that may not work (for real or as a perception) for a number of potential buyers.

It’s unfortunate that the US market apparently isn’t big enough to warrant a more powerful version of the 350 - with the mild state of tune the engine is in I can’t think that 5-8 more HP wouldn’t be hard for the factory to come by without changing the sweet nature of the motor.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 08:42:14 pm
It’s unfortunate that the US market apparently isn’t big enough to warrant a more powerful version of the 350 - with the mild state of tune the engine is in I can’t think that 5-8 more HP wouldn’t be hard for the factory to come by without changing the sweet nature of the motor.
You might want to wait for the 500cc version of the "J" OHC engine, (which our local RENA guy told me in late summer 2021 is already in development).  I expect this be just what you are asking for, power-wise and with very little penalty in fuel economy.

I think that development of the 500 model will be very easy for RE to keep a lid on, the machines will likely look identical to production 350s.  They'll want to keep a lid on it too, because once out, it's almost sure to GUT US sales of 350s, kind of like what happened to the 500 UCEs in the US when the 650s came out.  There's just not not enough space between the ~$4600 dealers are asking for the 350s and the ~$6200 they want for a 650, to position the 500 so that price will factor in.  It's hard to imagine that a US rider is going to be convinced to downsize for $800.

Maybe when gas gets to $10/gallon, RE will start publishing fuel efficiency on their specification document.  In India it's right at the top of page one.  This is the one area where the RE long stroke single really shines, and the USA just doesn't care.

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 11:26:57 am
You might want to wait for the 500cc version of the "J" OHC engine, (which our local RENA guy told me in late summer 2021 is already in development).  I expect this be just what you are asking for, power-wise and with very little penalty in fuel economy.

Dang nab it! That makes buying a 350 now a tough decision. You’re right, a 500 version of the J motor sounds absolutely lovely - as long as it keeps the mellow nature of the 350 and doesn’t end up on the harsh side. Regardless of the style, Hunter or Classic - no Meteor for me since I don’t care for the riding position (though it is a pretty bike) - RE will sell me a single eventually.

andif62

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 01:12:45 pm
Waiting for a 500 version of the J engine could take rather long. If it ever happens at all…
Royal Enfield Classic 350 Chrome Red
BMW F800GS

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #15 on: June 24, 2022, 04:03:29 pm
Waiting for a 500 version of the J engine could take rather long. If it ever happens at all…
You are thinking that RE started with a blank sheet of paper, drew an OHC, added a balance shaft, and reworked just about every other aspect of their existing engine design, but kept the Bore x Stroke at 72.0 x 85.8 mm, (.84 under-square)  just for tradition?

And calling that RENA guy a liar to boot?

Did you notice that a 86.0 x 85.8 (square) - bore x stroke gives a 498cc capacity?    Now, it's true that when RE designed the Himalayan's 411, they gave it 78.0 x 86.0mm, (.91 under-square) but that's a machine that is designed to handle off road riding, where the 350s are all road machines.   And RE isn't married exclusively to long stroke designs, the 650s are 78 x 67.8 mm  (1.15 over-square).

Now that the 350 OHC "J"s are fitted with all the systems required to meet current standards, if the engineers did their job like I think they did, a 500cc version should be as straightforward as fitting new jugs and heads.  It would be interesting to compare the 350 OHC crank to one from a 500 UCE, or even a 411 Himi engine.

We didn't get many 350 UCEs or IBs imported to the USA, I've yet to see a single example in person, but I wonder if somebody pulled off the "350" badge and stuck on a "500", anyone would be able to tell the difference?  My point is, the 500 OHC prototypes might already be out there, and RE wouldn't need to shroud them in "camo", they could just build them on shiny new Meteors and Classics.

The RENA guy couldn't tell me "when", and admittedly "if" could change.  But, the 500 UCEs were killed more by price increment from the 350s than by lack of desire to own them.  The IB 500s sold much better, compared to their corresponding 350 version, than the UCEs, because they weren't saddled with a new, untrusted, and expensive FI system.

andif62

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: June 24, 2022, 04:23:07 pm
Calm down a little bit  :D I didn‘t call anyone a liar.
From what I’ve heard the major reason why production of the UCE engine was stopped,
had been new environmental standards (BS6 in India).
The 500 was popular outside of India. The best selling UCE by far on the domestic market was the 350.
BMW F800GS

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #17 on: June 24, 2022, 04:49:21 pm
From what I’ve heard the major reason why production of the UCE engine was stopped,
had been new environmental standards (BS6 in India).
The 500 was popular outside of India.
The media repeated this, but nobody from RE corporate ever stated it.  In my opinion, it was a convenient misunderstanding that was not corrected to deflect blame from the bean counters to the government bureaucrats.  Harley pulled the exact same stunt when they dropped the Sportster, yet the larger ( and more profitable) Big Twins WERE apparently able to be updated to meet standards, and mysteriously the 750 and 500 streets which already met standards were pulled at the same time.  The 500 never sold in large numbers to the export market, and were very unpopular in the domestic market either.  Actual sales numbers are available, and I've posted some here in the forum.  The effect of the release of the 650s are clearly visible in the decline of reported 500 sales, from the moment they were announced.

And this is why I think RE won't pre-announce the development effort, it's easy to anticipate the effect that could have on 350 sales.  In fact, the RENA guy told me to keep it under my hat.  Good thing I wasn't wearing a hat at the time.

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: June 24, 2022, 05:25:03 pm
There was only a small price difference between the 500 UCE and the interceptor 650 in India. When the interceptor 650 was announced, people started to cancel the orders for the UCE 500 bullets.

The UCE 350 bullet is still in production in India with the updated emissions. There is still a lot of demand for them.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 24, 2022, 07:03:13 pm
It'd be nice to just be able to add a barrel & piston to the 350...there's likely enough valve perimeter to accommodate 27-30 HP, plenty for street use. Sell the "Big Head" as a kit or offer it as a 535cc "High Performance" option.

As long as the 500 piston is close to the same weight as a 350 piston, even the crank-driven counter balancer weight should be "all good".

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: June 24, 2022, 07:14:06 pm
And this is why I think RE won't pre-announce the development effort, it's easy to anticipate the effect that could have on 350 sales.  In fact, the RENA guy told me to keep it under my hat.  Good thing I wasn't wearing a hat at the time.

A 500 version of the current J motor would definitely have an effect on 350 sales in the US! We are a bigger is better culture, whether that’s good, bad or indifferent is irrelevant, it’s the way things are. Adding the 350s to the US lineup was a no-brainer for RE and RENA - the emission standards here and in India are close enough that I doubt there’s any substantive difference between our version of the J motor and the domestic one. All it took was paying for the testing and meeting USDOT standards, which isn’t necessarily a low cost thing but fairly straightforward in today’s globalized market (though sometimes a little odd - IIRC some Euro bikes in the 80s/90s had to have lower spec stuff swapped on because the “good stuff” wasn’t acceptable to DOT). Testing the waters here in the US for the Reborn singles was a low risk proposition - hopefully it’s successful enough to justify bringing the 500s to production and selling them here.

Not going to wait for the 500 since I already have a bigger street bike and I loved my test ride on a Signals 350 - my big decision is whether to go with a Signals model or wait on the nearest dealer to have Halcyons and/or Chromes in stock so I can see them in person and compare. Not going to wait on the Hunter since the Classic is the look I want but I definitely think the Hunter (especially as a 500!) would sell well in the US - maybe even cut into 650 sales.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #21 on: June 24, 2022, 07:42:56 pm
Adding the 350s to the US lineup was a no-brainer for RE and RENA - the emission standards here and in India are close enough that I doubt there’s any substantive difference between our version of the J motor and the domestic one.
BS 6 standards are actually quite a bit more rigorous than US standards.  I think we are still at the approximate equivalent to Euro 3 standards, which were more or less equivalent to Indian BS 3.   India made the wise decision to leapfrog right over Euro 5 and go to BS 6.

Meanwhile, here in the good old USA, the land that brought the world the Suburban Ussault Vehicle, one can probably still find a brand new, big old 650cc single for sale, that meets our latest emissions standards, with a CARBURETOR, and making MORE power than the 500s ever did:   https://bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_boulevard_s40_2022.php 

While I'm rolling, I think if you look more closely at the wording of the announcements of the discontinuation of the 500 UCE, the language was that the model "WILL not be  updated  to conform to Bharat Stage VI emission norms".  The average person may well read this as "cannot", a neat sidestep to keep the 500 fans from complaining, ...  "It's not US, it's the government!"

xpop

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: June 24, 2022, 09:30:03 pm
I need this bike.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #23 on: June 27, 2022, 01:03:54 pm
Looks like a nice little motorbike. It'd be spot on with some clip on bars and a 500 single, or maybe a 650 twin.....

I'm just messing with ya.

When I saw Hunter 350 in the thread title I though someone was getting excited about one of these horrors....
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

jez

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: July 03, 2022, 01:25:40 pm
Bigger better? No smaller , tiny when compared to India, and with low emission standards. I doubt RE will bother with a 500, not for a while anyway, even supposing they could get the emissions low enough. It's such a small market.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: July 19, 2022, 02:37:38 am

Royal Enfield Hunter 350 Launch Date Revealed By Company
Updated On: 22 June 2022, By Tejen Dhankhar

https://www.91wheels.com/news/royal-enfield-hunter-350-launch-date-revealed-by-company

Royal Enfield Hunter 350 will be the latest & one of the most affordable offerings from the company. It is going to launch between 4-8 August.
The cult Indian motorcycle manufacturer Royal Enfield is gearing up for a new launch. The buzz is already on that the Royal Enfield Hunter 350 is the latest product & it is launching soon. Now, the launch date is out. As per the company, the new Hunter will launch between 4-8 August.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 21, 2022, 04:28:06 am
Royal Enfield Hunter 350 almost revealed ahead of launch, Published: July 21, 2022

https://www.cartoq.com/royal-enfield-hunter-350-almost-revealed-ahead-of-launch/

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: July 22, 2022, 04:03:41 pm
Royal Enfield Hunter 350 Launch Date Revealed By Company
Updated On: 22 June 2022, By Tejen Dhankhar

https://www.91wheels.com/news/royal-enfield-hunter-350-launch-date-revealed-by-company

Royal Enfield Hunter 350 will be the latest & one of the most affordable offerings from the company. It is going to launch between 4-8 August.
The cult Indian motorcycle manufacturer Royal Enfield is gearing up for a new launch. The buzz is already on that the Royal Enfield Hunter 350 is the latest product & it is launching soon. Now, the launch date is out. As per the company, the new Hunter will launch between 4-8 August.

"Cult"? A cult movie is one that I and three of my friends have seen. Only an American would call Royal Enfield a cult. With sales over half a million bikes in a year that would be like calling Star Wars a cult movie.

I have no desire for a Hunter 350 but I'm glad people are getting more choices.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: July 24, 2022, 03:35:00 am
" Only an American would call Royal Enfield a cult. "

Hmmm...you do realize that the blue text was to denote a quote from Tejen Dhankhar's article...?  :o 8)

Personally I think that if the Hunter is cheaper, lighter and still has that lovely motor, that's a net improvement. The seating and footpeg position look improved to me. A long stroke engine makes for a very pleasant daily driver, hopefully that will transform into good sales numbers in the USA. The Hitchcock's big bore kit will (eventually) allow the owner to expand the Hunter & Meteor operating envelope rather than having to selling off their well fettled machine and buy something different with more Ongawa.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 03:50:34 am by AzCal Retred »

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #29 on: July 28, 2022, 10:10:24 pm
An article comparing three new ~350 cc scramblers from India:    https://www.financialexpress.com/auto/bike-news/retro-350cc-scrambler-comparison-royal-enfield-yezdi-honda/2609841/

the Honda CB350 RS is the scrambler variant of the H'Ness.  Seems it's been available since around 2/22 and priced at ~1.74 lakh.  It should be noted that this is a Honda of INDIA bike, and not made in Japan.  I think this means that the import tariffs are avoided, which are substantial.

The Yezdi is the scrambler variant of the Mahindra Jawa.  It was also released early this year and is priced ~2 lakh.

RE's scrambler, the Hunter is slated to be released in early August, and expectations are that it might be priced as low as 1.3 lakh.

Meanwhile, a lakh (100,000) rupees has dipped to a value of only $1,257 US.  If we could get these machines brand new in the USA for India pricing, my backyard would look like one of those volkswagen diesel desert parking lots.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: July 29, 2022, 12:07:04 am
Astounding prices, thanks for the info. Even 2 lakh would be less than the lovely CSC SG250, with an MSRP of $2500 + another $400 for...because they can? A CB350RS for even $3,500 would be an absolute steal.

https://cscmotorcycles.com/2022-sg250-cafe-racer-motorcycle-brick/

andif62

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: July 29, 2022, 07:26:29 am
the Honda CB350 RS is the scrambler variant of the H'Ness.  (…)
RE's scrambler, the Hunter is slated to be released in early August, and expectations are that it might be priced as low as 1.3 lakh.

Neither CB350RS nor RE Hunters are scramblers
BMW F800GS

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: July 29, 2022, 05:33:40 pm
The term "scrambler" is pretty vague. If you stuck a set of trials universals and a "high pipe" on any of these you'd qualify in spades. Having ridden (tried anyway...) many older scramblers, I can attest to the poor and/or semi-lethal off-road handling characteristics of "street bikes with knobbies". "They wuz the best there wuz when they were all there wuz."   

The high pipe was a debatable choice, as mostly these machines didn't have skid plates, leaving their vulnerable innards exposed to jagged boulders and fist sized rocks flipped up from the front wheel at speed on a trail. A low pipe at least had some lower case coverage and a "crush factor" that could come in handy. The bike will still manage to run and get you home with the exhaust crushed almost flat. The CL350 Honda, BSA B44 Victor and Kawasaki A7SS "Avenger" sold a lot of bandages and plaster.

The Pre-Unit Bullet falls into this "Scrambler" category. I do enjoy mine, within its very modest limits. A set of 4.00 x 19's Duro HT307's at each end help tremendously, as does substantially lower gearing. If you get into a situation where you actually need a "high pipe", you actually need a Himalayan...
:o  ::)

https://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/shopping-guides/what-is-a-scrambler-motorcycle#:~:text=Commonly%20known%20as%20dirt%20bikes,suspensions%20and%20substantial%20ground%20clearance.
In terms of the bikes themselves, the scrambler design was once very similar to that of a cafe racer, where racers in the dawn of the 20th century modified and customized standard bikes enhance racing performance. Scramblers had to switch effortlessly from on-road to all degrees of terrain and back to the road.
As such, riders created a stripped-down version of traditional motorcycles to achieve the scrambler aesthetic, with knobby tires, spoked wheels, and high exhaust pipes. The styles of these bikes changed considerably as the decades passed.
Once motorcycle companies started to design dirt bikes for off-roading, altering road bikes to scramblers started to die out. The heyday of motorcycle scrambling hit its peak in the 1950s and 1960s. Unfortunately, many of the scrambler models from that area such as BSA and Greeves aren’t in production anymore.
Nowadays, the term scrambler motorcycle refers to a distinct look, with a vintage stripped-down style that combines the functionality of older models with the versatility of modern manufacturing. Once, bikers could only ride the old dirt books off-road, but you can ride modern scrambler motorcycles both on the road and off. As such, these models are an excellent choice in terms of value for your money and flexibility.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 05:51:12 pm by AzCal Retred »

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #33 on: July 29, 2022, 06:44:45 pm
The term "scrambler" is pretty vague. If you stuck a set of trials universals and a "high pipe" on any of these you'd qualify in spades.
It's amazing how protective folks will get of some old school meaning of a particular word.  I see this all the time with "bobber".  Maybe these people aren't aware of what "bad", "dope" and "sick" mean nowadays, not to mention all the other everyday words that have meanings that get slid and shifted.

If the manufacturer puts the word on the sales sheet, that's good enough for me.

Ducati started using the "S" word 60 years ago:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati_Scrambler

Now their "Scrambler" might have 1100 ccs and an exhaust that is both low and high   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati_Scrambler     I know somebody is going to say this isn't a "scrambler", but Ducati says it is.   https://scramblerducati.com/us/bike/escrambler/

Triumphs are even bigger, but at least they kept the traditional leg burning exhaust:  https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/classic/bonneville-scrambler-1200

BMW doesn't care what anybody thinks, they call this beast a scrambler:  https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/heritage/rninetscrambler.html

This excercise can go on and on.

The folks who hold the trademark on the Scrambler name, will tell you that no motorcycle is a Scrambler, since 1955, and after multiple renewals of the trademark, it is and has long been this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=293amihqfZo

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: July 29, 2022, 07:31:52 pm
Informative as always! However, i started getting queasy about 30 seconds into that video... :o :P ;D ;D ;D

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: July 30, 2022, 03:00:03 am
" but at least they kept the traditional leg burning exhaust "
Back in 1972 my brother in law took me for a trail ride on his new A7SS Samurai "scrambler". On a local jeep trail we ran into a large, long pothole filled with talcum silt. The street geometry front end predictably buried and down it went. I essentially "floated up and away" off the rear pegs and ended up shin deep in the fluid dust. My poor in-law happened to end up underneath with the "hi-pipe" pressing against the back of his calf. About three months later it finally had healed over with a flakey layer of pinkish-grey skin...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: July 30, 2022, 08:31:16 pm
Here's another "scrambler"...the Benelli Leoncino Trail. The CB500x by that measure is apparently also a "scrambler"...?

http://benelli.ssrmotorsports.com/bikes/leoncino_trail.php

https://powersports.honda.com/street/adventure/cb500x

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #37 on: August 02, 2022, 01:52:48 am
" but at least they kept the traditional leg burning exhaust "
Back in 1972 my brother in law took me for a trail ride on his new A7SS Samurai "scrambler". On a local jeep trail we ran into a large, long pothole filled with talcum silt. The street geometry front end predictably buried and down it went. I essentially "floated up and away" off the rear pegs and ended up shin deep in the fluid dust. My poor in-law happened to end up underneath with the "hi-pipe" pressing against the back of his calf. About three months later it finally had healed over with a flakey layer of pinkish-grey skin...
Definitely not a feature created for rider comfort.  Most of the internet knowledge about the high exhaust feature focuses on the LOOK of it.  A few mention that a high exhaust is intended to protect the exhaust from physical damage, or to protect the engine from choking on water when fording streams.

None of them seem to remember that dirt bikes were once ridden in dirt that had green plants ( or ex-green, now brown) planted in it.  40 years ago I learned that the high exhausts on off-road bikes are there to prevent underbrush fires.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
  • Evil wins if Good Men only do Nothing !
Reply #38 on: August 03, 2022, 05:19:01 am
If I didn't already have a Meteor then I'd have a "HUNTER" , I like it better .    Having both would be just too-much of the same thing. 
Lynchburg Tn.
have had to many to list them all but now only two
RE Meteor22 SBlue
RE Super Meteor Astral Blue

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: August 05, 2022, 10:13:23 am
Not feeling this Hunter. Looks Chinese to my eye like a Hanway or similar.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: August 05, 2022, 11:44:40 am
Hunter 350 walk around from the intro in India https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tftJosTID-w

gilburton

• Bulleteer
Reply #41 on: August 05, 2022, 11:57:25 am
Now that is nice with a chunky look.
I don't like the tank colour/graphics but I note the footpegs are further back under the nose of the seat( where they should be) and it has a gear linkage.
Certainly a looker in a sort of Triumph way.

hotrob

• Scooter
  • UK
Reply #42 on: August 05, 2022, 01:18:25 pm
Hunter 350 walk around from the intro in India https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tftJosTID-w
It looks nice, looks comfortable, sounds nice and has a top speed of over 85mph.  Sure, I fancy one!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: August 05, 2022, 05:44:08 pm
Hitchcock's have a Meteor 350 Big Bore kit in the works right now. Likely a "drop in" barrel & piston kit, probably takes it to 450cc or there about & would add 6-10 HP badly needed HP. Get a $3K 2nd hand Meteor and wait a bit.

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #44 on: August 05, 2022, 09:29:06 pm
More pix, specs and colors from the RE USA FB page

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #45 on: August 05, 2022, 09:30:13 pm
More pix from the RE USA FB page

jvb

• Scooter
Reply #46 on: August 05, 2022, 11:25:28 pm
Looks good!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: August 06, 2022, 01:13:22 am
1.35 Lakh to 1.5 Lakh (maybe)

Bike Wale: Royal Enfield Hunter 350 Walkaround

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez9ZeQ6VNc8

Royal Enfield has finally unveiled the all-new Hunter 350 in Bangkok, Thailand, ahead of its launch on 7 August 2022. Here's a quick walkaround video and first impressions of the Royal Enfield Hunter 350.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: August 07, 2022, 06:29:42 am
Royal Enfield HUNTER 350 Revealed By Sid Lal | Hunter 350; 360 View & Exhaust Sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSu6Yx4Kqq8

Royal Enfield Hunter 350 Metro vs Retro Walkaround Comparison | Specs, Features & Price
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odb7IloUDRA

The Retro seems to have the nod here! - acr -
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 06:38:36 am by AzCal Retred »

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #49 on: August 07, 2022, 01:18:32 pm
More pix, specs and colors from the RE USA FB page
Interesting! Thanks for the specs. I noticed top speed listed at 114 kmph. Let's see, 114 X .62= 70.68 mph. Amit of Motoroids also did a YouTube walkaround and stated a possible top speed of 125 kmph. That's about 77.5 mph. I'd love it if my Meteor had an 80-85 mph TS. The bike itself is stable flat out on the Interstate. I cringe at running anything at wide open throttle for any length of time though. I would think that since the new Classic 350 is just now available in the US in all variants and colors (except Redditch variant), that it may be a while before the Hunter is available here. Just an opinion. It's a nice-looking bike but, personally, the matte finished tank with high gloss side covers and fenders doesn't look right.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #50 on: August 08, 2022, 02:56:20 am
Is there some speculation that the Hunter "don't have the speed limiter" ?

Mark , if you had the 16 tooth sprocket and was caught up in the "Wind Draft" of the traffic then could you run with the higher speed traffic ?   
The trucks with their "Governors"  run wide open against their speed limiters all the time.   ;)

I figure most of the folks here have a second bike for running the Super Slab with , but like the mpg and relaxed sprit of the Meteor on the back roads better.  ???
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 03:03:16 am by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: August 08, 2022, 08:04:26 am
My 650 handles Interstate speeds with ease. You are correct that the Meteor has a limiter and I enjoy it in the city and back roads.

hotrob

• Scooter
  • UK
Reply #52 on: August 08, 2022, 02:02:52 pm
I noticed top speed listed at 114 kmph. Let's see, 114 X .62= 70.68 mph.
Ah, I guess I misheard what was said in the video - I thought the guy said it's top speed was 140km/h, hence I thought the top speed was about 87mph (I did think that was optimistic for 20bhp).  In that case I would stick with my Meteor and wouldn't be interested in the Hunter unless it gave a much more compliant ride quality.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #53 on: August 08, 2022, 03:48:53 pm
 ::)

OK

I'll confess !   ;D

The first accessory I added ....  Was a SLUMP GUARD ....  :)

Hello my name is Mike and I love Dirt ...  :-\

Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #54 on: August 08, 2022, 09:00:26 pm
The first accessory I added ....  Was a SLUMP GUARD ....  :)
A SLUMP guard is a sissy bar, right?

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #55 on: August 08, 2022, 11:04:21 pm
A SLUMP guard is a sissy bar, right?

I think more likely a back brace.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #56 on: August 09, 2022, 01:43:54 am
 ::)

::)Slump Guard , also know as a "Skid Plate"

The crank-case is called the Slump .   
Some bikes have "dry slumps" (Honda 750 (originals)) and Harley Sportsters - Bikes with oil tanks.   
Some bikes have "wet slumps" means oil is in the bottom of the crankcase , like the meteor does.

fastens under the motor for protection from hitting the bottom or/and debris kicking up to hit the motor resulting in a "Holy Crankcase"
No I'm not anti religious , far from it .  :)

Wait a minute .... !   Ya'll are pulling my leg  ::) ::)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 01:57:03 am by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: August 09, 2022, 03:36:36 am
The term is sump. There are dry & wet sump engines. We have to use common & correct terminology here to keep everyone on the same page. Spellcheck is your friend, it's kept me out of trouble plenty.

sump; noun:
1. a pit or hollow in which liquid collects, especially one in the floor of a mine or basement.
2. the base of an internal combustion engine, which serves as a reservoir of oil for the lubrication system.

slump; verb:
1. sit, lean, or fall heavily and limply, especially with a bent back.
"she slumped against the cushions"
2. undergo a sudden severe or prolonged fall in price, value, or amount.
"land prices slumped"
slump: noun
a sudden severe or prolonged fall in the price, value, or amount of something.

The skid plate/bash plate/rock guard/etc. is a valuable thing indeed. There's only so much JB Weld can do, right?  :o Better to keep the rocks away from the engine sump. ;D ;D ;D

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #58 on: August 09, 2022, 06:22:51 am
Thank you AzCal
Dexter and Axman knows all that , they just likes to pull a leg or two when they can !   :)

But , that also brings up a question :   
Shouldn't the Hunter come with a Sump Guard ?   ???

so I've been pronouncing it wrong all these years ! 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 06:36:12 am by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #59 on: August 09, 2022, 11:54:16 am

..... and Harley Sportsters - Bikes with oil tanks.   

Not only Sportsters. All harley engines use a separate oil tank. And an oil tank higher than the crankcase makes it SO much simpler to check the oil. You can check your oil with your finger.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: August 09, 2022, 02:41:33 pm
The Hunter is sold as a street bike, and as it's the lowest cost offering I'm sure that R.E. is loath to spend a dime extra.

Skid plates are easy to rig up. In the early days they even used shovel heads (not the V-twin... ;)) as sump guards. Trials universals and a skid plate is about as far as you'd need to go, other than adding a few teeth to the rear sprocket.

If off-road is the aim, save another $500 - $1,000 and get the Himalayan, at least it won't try to kill you with street geometry taken off-road.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #61 on: August 09, 2022, 02:58:32 pm
Actually , The extra four HP and 10 mph of the Scram would be nice.   But I like the looks and ride of my Meteor.   

Isn't Honda making a "Scrambler" version of their Meteor also ?

It seems to me that all the accessories from RE , are more $$$ friendly .   :D 

Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: August 09, 2022, 04:45:18 pm
There may be a niche market for a "Scrambler" pipe for the Meteor. If you whomp up a stainless high pipe in your garage, make sure you take lots of measurements so you can replicate it. That & a skid plate might make a nice $300 "LLC" side business.

R.E. makes some really nice, practical equipment for not a lot of cash. The main (minor) issue on their lovely 650 appears to be the OEM relay package. Once tossed & replace with better components, folks seem to be happy. I haven't heard here any bad news on the Himalayan, and the same for the Meteor. Looks like those efforts are sorted right out of the box.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #63 on: August 09, 2022, 07:54:42 pm
Remarkably little hoopla seems to have accompanied the release of the Hunter.

I had to go digging to find an announcement, but it appears it was released on 8/7/22 as had been announced.
https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-news/royal-enfield-hunter-350-launched-in-india-at-rs-150-lakh-425322

Prices starting at 1.5 lakh, which is just under $1900 US at current exchange rates.    ($US 1256 / lakh, the dollar is strong right now)

If it is offered to the US market, by comparison to other RE offerings, I'd expect pricing to be around $4200.

India                    USA  (list)
Conti 650         > 2.99 lakh           >$6200
Int 650            > 2.82 lakh           >$6000
Himalayan        > 2.19 lakh          >$5300
Meteor 350       > 2.06 lakh          >$4800
Classic 350       > 1.9   lakh          >$4500
Hunter 350       > 1.5   lakh          >$4200  ( my own guesstimate)

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #64 on: August 09, 2022, 09:11:22 pm
I bought my Meteor in June and had to pay $5200 plus tax , out the door.
Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: August 10, 2022, 12:31:27 am
@ # 61:  "Isn't Honda making a "Scrambler" version of their Meteor also ?"

The GB350 hasn't hit the USA...maybe never at this rate. :P
Again, a set of trials universals, high pipe and tiny skid plate doesn't a dirt bike make! ::)

2021 article -
https://www.motorbeam.com/honda-hness-cb350-scrambler-in-the-making/
Honda H’ness CB350 Scrambler In The Making
Honda is reportedly working on a scambler version of the H’ness CB350, its challenger to take on 350cc Royal Enfields.
While the existence of a derivative model was said to be on the cards from the beginning, it was said to be a cafe racer version.
However, this most recent rendering shows that a Honda H’ness CB350 scrambler version is also under development and rumours are that it will be introduced at the earliest.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #66 on: August 10, 2022, 03:52:44 am
That red version at the website is a sharp looking machine! Seat doesn't appear to be as comfy as the Meteor though.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #67 on: August 10, 2022, 05:52:27 am

Isn't Honda making a "Scrambler" version of their Meteor also ?

Honda released their CB350 RS in February.  https://www.financialexpress.com/auto/bike-news/honda-cb350-rs-launched-india-rs-10000-more-hness-cb350-price-features-specs-images-bookings-deliveries-big-wing-pics-colours-variants/2195643/

Many articles referred to this "RS" machine which is based on the CB350 H'Ness engine as a "scrambler".  I've seen the designation described by India media as referring to "Retro Scrambler", "Retro Sport" and "Road Sailing".

To me the CB350 RS looks to be aimed directly at the new RE Hunter, while the CB350 H'Ness seemed to be intended to compete directly with the RE Meteor.  Neither has been a big threat to RE's dominance of the 350 niche, both together skimming off about 6-7% of the 350 market.  I haven't seen Honda sales figures that separate their two 350 machines.    https://gaadiwaadi.com/350cc-bikes-may-2022-sales-bullet-classic-meteor-cb350/

But Honda is apparently about to release a third 350.  https://www.india.com/car-and-bike/attention-bike-lovers-hondas-new-350cc-motorcycle-to-be-unveiled-today-5559582/    Unlike RE, Honda of India seems to be able to maintain quite a bit of secrecy about new products.

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: August 10, 2022, 02:34:34 pm
Amit, of the Motoroids YT channel, just posted his ride impressions of the Hunter. He also made comparisons between it and the Classic and Meteor. Highlights include nearly 31 lbs. lighter than the Classic 350. Acceleration nearly the same as the Meteor. Tops out at 122 kmph (75.64mph). It's more compact than the Meteor and Classic with a Roadster style riding position. I think it looks similar to the INT 650's rider's position. The vid is 25 minutes+ but much info. I think it's worth the watch.

hotrob

• Scooter
  • UK
Reply #69 on: August 10, 2022, 02:37:28 pm
I'm looking forward to finding out what Triumph's small bike will turn out like.  See https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/small-capacity-triumph-models/.

PS MCN also reports that "The Royal Enfield Hunter 350 will be make its European debut at Intermot Cologne in October with prices to be announced at the show. It’ll then hit UK dealers in November available in six striking paintjobs".
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 02:40:35 pm by hotrob »

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #70 on: August 10, 2022, 05:34:03 pm
I'm looking forward to finding out what Triumph's small bike will turn out like.  See https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/small-capacity-triumph-models/.

PS MCN also reports that "The Royal Enfield Hunter 350 will be make its European debut at Intermot Cologne in October with prices to be announced at the show. It’ll then hit UK dealers in November available in six striking paintjobs".
According to the First Rise article on Ride Apart the North America release will be after the first quarter of 2023 https://www.rideapart.com/reviews/603429/royal-enfield-hunter-350-review/

Ronbob43

• Scooter
Reply #71 on: August 11, 2022, 07:41:56 pm
All these posts have me slumped. I don't know what all y'alls talkin about.
Ronbob43

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #72 on: August 11, 2022, 10:40:56 pm
All these posts have me slumped. I don't know what all y'alls talkin about.
A tablespoon of this stuff in your afternoon tea should fix you right up!

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: August 12, 2022, 02:07:39 am
A tablespoon of this stuff in your afternoon tea should fix you right up!
  ;D

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #74 on: August 12, 2022, 02:50:31 am
Those new Triumphs sure are UGLY.

I understand them being upset at Royal Enfield for taking a chunk of the market from them.

I think the only one's to buy those little Triumphs will be the folks they might have sold high $$$ Triumphs to.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 03:36:05 am by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #75 on: August 12, 2022, 10:43:10 am
Those new Triumphs sure are UGLY.

To me they just look exceptionally boring - no character or originality.  Actually, a bit like looking at a Chinese bike.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

hotrob

• Scooter
  • UK
Reply #76 on: August 12, 2022, 01:36:19 pm
...  In that case I would stick with my Meteor and wouldn't be interested in the Hunter unless it gave a much more compliant ride quality.
MCN say: "the ride is a little soft at the front and harsh at the rear (bear in mind that this machine is designed to carry not only a pillion plus heavy luggage but possibly even a second pillion)."  So I guess I won't be buying one!

MCN's review at https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/enfield/hunter-350/2022/.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: August 12, 2022, 02:57:34 pm
Personally I love it. I think it’s one of Royal Enfield best designs yet, IMO.
 Its looks grabbed me first time I saw it. I was thinking a 350 single was too small, but this bike is making me rethink that idea.
 I have room in my garage for a second Royal Enfield, but do I have time to keep up with two branches of this forum?
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #78 on: August 12, 2022, 04:58:44 pm
Personally I love it. I think it’s one of Royal Enfield best designs yet, IMO.
 Its looks grabbed me first time I saw it. I was thinking a 350 single was too small, but this bike is making me rethink that idea.
 I have room in my garage for a second Royal Enfield, but do I have time to keep up with two branches of this forum?
I did a test ride on a 350 Classic - yes, it would be nice if the J motor made a bit more power BUT it’s one of the sweetest engines I’ve experienced, good low range, great fueling, smooth without being boring. Perfect for secondary road explorations and urban street running. With the Hunter’s lower curb weight, 17” wheels and revised ECU settings it should definitely have a “sporty” feel compared to the Meteor/Classic. I think the Hunter will be a solid seller in NA.

Meteorite

• Scooter
Reply #79 on: August 12, 2022, 06:38:00 pm
An interesting 5 part trials build of the Meteor from Bike World:
https://youtu.be/T0Kw0hRpuac

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: August 12, 2022, 07:55:02 pm
Don't forget the upcoming Hitchcock's Meteor big bore kit. That'll add the missing 7 - 10 HP the bike is capable of using.

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #81 on: August 12, 2022, 09:38:38 pm
Don't forget the upcoming Hitchcock's Meteor big bore kit. That'll add the missing 7 - 10 HP the bike is capable of using.
But without a different or modified ECU top speed will still be limited. Over on the 650 thread someone had their ECU reflashed - wonder if the 350’s could be modded as well? It’s been said before but it’s a shame that the NA market isn’t big enough to justify specific models like the Brits used to do in the 50s/60s.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: August 12, 2022, 10:13:52 pm
But without a different or modified ECU top speed will still be limited.

So? It's still a nice, well balanced, sub-30 RWHP machine. How fast do you think you should be able to go with no drag reduction efforts on a 26-30 HP machine? Even if it limits at 120 KPH that's still a top end of 70, plenty for 2-lane or moderate freeway use. If you needed a bike that can run 80 MPH reliably, another $1,000 would have gotten you into the interceptor.

I saw a used ZX14 on Craigslist for $2,500 yesterday, so if it's speed you are after...?

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #83 on: August 12, 2022, 10:37:35 pm
But without a different or modified ECU top speed will still be limited. Over on the 650 thread someone had their ECU reflashed - wonder if the 350’s could be modded as well? It’s been said before but it’s a shame that the NA market isn’t big enough to justify specific models like the Brits used to do in the 50s/60s.
Because the whole EFI system concept is chasing emissions goals and not performance goals, any manufacturer who opens up their system to the end user, is asking for big fines and possibly being denied the right to sell their products.

Nobody wants to be these guys:  https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/harley-davidson-super-tuner-epa-doj-fine/  $15 million eats up the profits of quite a few motorcycle sales.

Thus far most countries regulatory agencies have been pretty laissez faire about cracking down on individuals, but manufacturers have the deep pockets, and must get the EPA and NHTSA importation certifications, and are held to a higher standard.  Right now, the USA's emissions standards for motorcycles lag European and Indian standards by about a decade, but I wouldn't expect that to continue indefinitely.

If you want both EFI and true freedom to roll your own, there's no cheap and easy.  There is Megasquirt however!  https://megasquirt.info/

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #84 on: August 13, 2022, 01:08:12 am
But without a different or modified ECU top speed will still be limited.

So? It's still a nice, well balanced, sub-30 RWHP machine. How fast do you think you should be able to go with no drag reduction efforts on a 26-30 HP machine? Even if it limits at 120 KPH that's still a top end of 70, plenty for 2-lane or moderate freeway use. If you needed a bike that can run 80 MPH reliably, another $1,000 would have gotten you into the interceptor.

I saw a used ZX14 on Craigslist for $2,500 yesterday, so if it's speed you are after...?
Please refer to post #78…

And my test ride post https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=33278.0
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 01:12:28 am by scott_650 »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: August 13, 2022, 01:31:42 am
This statement @ #78 makes it pretty clear that you liked the bike - but no reference to any concern over top speed being limited as evinced in post #81. 6-10 HP dropped into the midrange would just make a good bike better. Hills get flatter, headwinds less impactful. We agree it's a nice bike. Possibly we also agree that rocketing along at +70 MPH isn't as important to us as it used to be?  ;)

I did a test ride on a 350 Classic - yes, it would be nice if the J motor made a bit more power BUT it’s one of the sweetest engines I’ve experienced, good low range, great fueling, smooth without being boring. Perfect for secondary road explorations and urban street running. With the Hunter’s lower curb weight, 17” wheels and revised ECU settings it should definitely have a “sporty” feel compared to the Meteor/Classic. I think the Hunter will be a solid seller in NA.

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #86 on: August 13, 2022, 03:34:40 am
This statement @ #78 makes it pretty clear that you liked the bike - but no reference to any concern over top speed being limited as evinced in post #81. 6-10 HP dropped into the midrange would just make a good bike better. Hills get flatter, headwinds less impactful. We agree it's a nice bike. Possibly we also agree that rocketing along at +70 MPH isn't as important to us as it used to be?  ;)

Here’s my train of thought on the “power” issue (this whole topic of engine output reminds me of the brouhaha over the Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86 only making 200-ish HP) - here in the US the J motor REs are competing with various Japanese models that have much higher output from their engines. Take Honda as an example, the 300 Rebel, CB300R Neo Sport and the CRF300L/Rally are all quicker and faster than the Meteor/Classic/Hunter and the Himalayan/Scram. To me this is immaterial since the 350 Classic (I’ll probably be buying a Signals in Marsh Grey as soon as I get a few things taken care of to make room in the garage) is really good at what it’s designed for and fits the market needs in India, and mine, perfectly. As it should. Plus the REs are way more attractive (to me - YMMV) than the comparable Hondas. But, if the market in NA was as important as it was in the early/mid-70s, the chances that we’d be getting 350s with higher output engines is pretty high and that would make those bikes much more competitive with other maker’s like models. But our market isn’t even close to what it was 50 years ago - it really wouldn’t make sense for RE to build basically a handful of bikes to ship here for what would be barely a rounding error in their total sales numbers.

The J models are very mildly tuned and appear to be robust to the point of being overbuilt - good stuff for the intended market where longevity and good running character rules - but a bit of a wistful “what could be” thing for us since our total road conditions are very different than India’s. And I get that third-party vendors are working on mods to make the J models quicker/faster - good for them and I wish them the best - but it’s not the same as the factory doing the job. The old Triumphs, BSAs and Nortons of the 60s/70s built specifically for NA were (and are) some of the most desirable bikes of their era. Would a 25-27HP Hunter be in the same league as a Triumph TT650? Of course not but it sure would be a great choice for the guy or gal cross shopping it with a Honda CB300R. As is, most typical motorcycle buyers are going to spend a couple hundred more (MSRP to MSRP - total transaction prices are too variable to compare) for a like bike with more capabilities. And when they do it’s a shame since they’re missing out on one really nice motorcycle.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 03:48:08 am by scott_650 »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: August 13, 2022, 04:20:33 am
There's no "power brouhaha" as far as I can see. The question I had was why adding power and not gaining more top speed was even a concern. Many vehicles have speed limiters. The ECU appears to be not adjustable, but gaining midrange where you do most of your riding is a good thing, especially in the USA where many of us aren't exactly petite. I'm also dying to see how the EFI deals with probably a 30% displacement bump. I'm all good with 65-70 max speeds, and if more zoom was desired there's a universe of great used "fast" hardware out there.

YOUR NAME HERE

• Scooter
Reply #88 on: August 13, 2022, 01:23:54 pm
Unrelated to this thread, been thinking about the “power brouhaha”: For me it is one of the major appealing factors of the RE line.

Seeing endless reviews in the states moaning and wheezing about low horsepower etc, when honestly, “sorry Uncle Sam, this bike just wasn’t designed for you” is a rare and refreshing reminder that we are not the center of the universe. And that means we occasionally have access to things that break out of the hypnotic wasteland of Burger King sameness, and hurrah for that. Meanwhile, digging my 350, charming beast that it is. Going nowhere fast & loving it.

A fun micro-rant aimed at nobody here, merely sharing a parallel thought...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: August 13, 2022, 04:59:37 pm
@ #88: +1!  ;D

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: August 13, 2022, 06:34:23 pm
A gamut of opinions have just been released on YouTube with regards to the European launch of the Hunter this coming November. Can’t really say any of the colour schemes really appeal but this model certainly ticks a lot of boxes.  I’ll be off on Monday down to my local RE dealers to drop off my details.  This is the only bike out there that that has really piqued my interest to fill that last bitt of space on my shed. The Meteor is simply too wide, the Classic is narrow enough but has tubed tyres, and I don’t want the power of the 650’s as I have a modified 1200 Triumph speed Twin. . The Hunter is narrow enough to ride down the side access of my property and comes with cast wheels and tubeless tyres. It looks like the perfect money pit!

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #91 on: August 13, 2022, 06:59:10 pm
Guess I’ll take one last whack at this poor, dead, beaten into glue horse - I really, really, REALLY like the Royal Enfield Classic 350. It’s a wonderfully balanced, well-finished and relaxing to ride motorcycle. Unique here in the US market for its pleasant natured engine and great, classic looks. For my needs its performance envelope is sufficient - I have another bike that is quicker and faster (not terribly so actually, being a 1986 Yamaha SRX600 I’ve owned since new - plus I have an Aprilia Scarabeo 200 that’s slower with a lower top speed than the 350 Classic that gives great service as an exurban runabout) so Classic 350 ownership fills a desire for a classic bike without the hassle that comes with obsolete tech (been there done that, fun while it lasted but I’m too old to mess with old stuff when I just want to ride - only so much time left on the game clock ya know!).

My point has been from the start of this conversation that it’s unfortunate that the US/Canada market is no longer large or influential enough to justify variations of Royal Enfield’s already very good current bikes. The 650 is purposely tuned as it is to meet the parameters for learner bikes and tax limitations in other markets. The 350 is tuned as it is for the overwhelmingly important market needs in India. The 400 motor is also capable of more power than it currently makes - see Hitchcock’s reportedly excellent upgrade kit. All of RE’s motorcycles are aimed primarily at other markets than North America - that doesn’t make them “inferior” or “inadequate” - they are what they are for very good reasons. My point all along is the shrinkage of our market to the point we don’t get versions of already well-done bikes better suited to our roads is unfortunate. A stronger motored Meteor/Classic/Hunter would compete handily with other small-displacement motorcycles and greatly improve Royal Enfield’s viability in our market.

The comparison with the Subaru/Toyota BRZ/86 was to point out the wrongheaded view of the keyboard commandos and enthusiast pundits about 200HP in a lightweight, handling oriented sports coupe being insufficient. If the BRZ made more power it would need a stiffer, heavier body and all the requisite stuff to support the weight increase. IAW if it made 300HP it would cease to be what its designers intended it to be - the best handling sports coupe in its price bracket. The BRZ makes the amount of power it makes in order to perform as its intended to. The J motored Royal Enfields would not cease to be what they are with a bit more power and a higher top speed - both factors that are of near zero consequence for where the vast majority of them are sold but inarguably would make them much better suited to our road conditions and riding habits.

If someone wants to construe my thoughts and opinions into some sort of parochial view that our market should be paramount or that I have some inadequacy that needs a 150HP motorcycle to compensate for then that’s what they going to do regardless - it can’t be done by using what I’ve written because I never said or implied either of those things. By the bye I think the fastest bike I’ve owned was my Yamaha XZ550 Vision and the biggest is my Suzuki 1400 Intruder that needs cleared out to make room for the 350 Classic - no fire-breathing 4 cylinder bikes ever but I did have a Yamaha XS850 triple for awhile, wow that sucker was top-heavy but the motor sounded awesome on the throttle.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #92 on: August 13, 2022, 08:25:10 pm
Yup, it seems everyone outside of the home market gets leftovers that are good enough but could be so much better with a little more investment and capacity. In the UK we just get a selection of learner bikes, whilst India gets what it considers to be premium brand motorcycles. But at the end of the day RE does make some nice looking learner bikes 😏

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #93 on: August 13, 2022, 11:54:13 pm
If someone wants to construe my thoughts and opinions into some sort of parochial view that our market should be paramount or that I have some inadequacy that needs a 150HP motorcycle to compensate for then that’s what they going to do regardless - it can’t be done by using what I’ve written because I never said or implied either of those things.

To be clear - "someone" doesn't think you are a bad, parochial, or inadequate person, "someone" just wanted to know "was why adding power and not gaining more top speed was even a concern". "Someone" also enjoys your erudition. I think about 2-3 posts back you've explained in great detail that you were perfectly happy with the OEM power, I get that, I ride a painfully stock ES350 myself. What I wasn't seeing was how gaining better midrange required a connection to higher top speed. I believe the exact wording was "But without a different or modified ECU top speed will still be limited", implying that there was perhaps a desire for more speed? Anyway, at this time it clearly appears you are perfectly happy with the Meteor as is. As I see it, for us "non-petite folk" if & when the H's big bore kit releases the Meteor just gets even more desirable. We agree to the 9th degree, and there is certainly no animus held by "someone". We good?

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #94 on: August 20, 2022, 01:06:30 am
I was out on my Classic 500 today, for lunch in a little town I like, and a guy rides up on a BMW  K75 in (in pristine condition) and comes and sits with me just because he liked my bike......and he has a new Classic 350. He told me he can't stop riding it and loves it more than any of his other bikes. He came from Staten Island, on routes 287 and 80 and almost to PA.........why he was on the BMW. If you can't do 75 on route 80 you can get run over, and there are long hills on 80. Anyway, regardless of the low power, seems the thing is a hoot to ride!. And BTW, I think the Hunter is very cool and likely tons of fun. All that being said, my Moto Guzzi V7 III Special is tons of fun and much faster.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: August 20, 2022, 11:12:08 am
Pretty enough bike but basically a Triumph Street twin copy in the styling stakes. I don’t know what you wouldn’t just buy an Interceltor though. Twice the bike for not much more money. I had a 26hp 250 back in 1985, I wouldn’t want a 20hp 350 today.
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #96 on: August 20, 2022, 12:54:03 pm
Whippers, if you are referring to my post, I have ridden friends Interceptors and Conti Gt's, and they are great bikes, but they are certainly not better than the V7 overall. The shaft drive alone would almost do it for me. I had intended to get a GT but when Guzzi ran the Good Friday promo in '21, I ended up getting the Special for $7,800 out the door, which made it a steal and not much more than an RE out the door.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

redpat1

• Scooter
Reply #97 on: August 20, 2022, 04:47:00 pm
I saw the hunter release on youtube a week or two ago. It almost derailed my plans to buy a meteor. I picked up my meteor this week and I'm glad I did as its brilliant.
I think the hunter will be a smash hit and if they had been available in the UK right now it would have caused me massive headache on purchase day. But, I'm a cruiser type guy these days and that little hunter although not a race bike by any means is asking to be ridden hard comparatively speaking of course🤣
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 05:41:17 pm by redpat1 »

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: August 20, 2022, 08:52:16 pm
Whippers, if you are referring to my post, I have ridden friends Interceptors and Conti Gt's, and they are great bikes, but they are certainly not better than the V7 overall. The shaft drive alone would almost do it for me. I had intended to get a GT but when Guzzi ran the Good Friday promo in '21, I ended up getting the Special for $7,800 out the door, which made it a steal and not much more than an RE out the door.
9fingers

Nope I’m giving my view on the merits of the Hunter. I bought an Interceptor and did consider a V7. Here in NZ though it costs about 60% more than an Interceptor. I do like the sound of the V100 Mandello though so I might end up with a Guzzi too in due course.
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: August 21, 2022, 12:59:34 am
9fingers
Pretty bike! Silver/black is sharp. I've always loved the looks of the Moto Guzzis. :)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: August 27, 2022, 05:46:16 am
About 15 minutes of riding & chatter. Nice spartan bike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkUdBDdafKU
Royal Enfield Hunter 350 | Detailed Road Review

johnakay

• Scooter
Reply #101 on: August 27, 2022, 10:34:35 am
nice looking bike but not so sure of the big letters on either side.
there are some obvious cheap parts such as gear levers etc.
why have the clock off set ,it seem the norm these days.
having said that I'm sticking to my classic.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #102 on: August 27, 2022, 12:18:57 pm
The biggest attraction of the Hunter as a replacement for my 2011 B5 is the lower seat height compared to the Classic 350.

I was looking at the V7 Guzzi line-up for a bit but really wanted a smaller bike, then they went and replaced the 750 engine with their even bigger 850 so I lost interest pretty quickly. 

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #103 on: August 27, 2022, 09:08:32 pm
Another Hunter review - better filmography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Nl_hvdlhM

2022 Royal Enfield Hunter 350 review - Not your typical RE | First Ride | Autocar India
Royal Enfield wants to reach out to new riders and non RE traditionalists with the new Hunter 350. Rishaad Mody tells you what this bike is all about.

Ferdi

• Scooter
  • Interceptor 650 Chrome/ Meteor Stellar Black
Reply #104 on: August 28, 2022, 09:04:20 am
I believe that I will see Hunter at Eicma 2022 in Milan next November. Will there be SuperMeteor too? We will see...
Emotions are difficult to describe, better "live them"

Desert_Norm

• Neophyte
  • Ride like you are invisible.
Reply #105 on: August 30, 2022, 10:24:48 pm
I'm six years outside now looking back in, and over 70 years young.  I had the first UCE Royal Enfield in 2010 that came to Seattle, the C5.  RE promised great improvement over the earlier versions of the 500 single.  I bought it on that promise and was slapped in the face with the biggest POS bike I ever owned.  The person who bought it from me in 2013 sold it a year later.

Anyway, my last bike was a Moto Guzzi 750 Breva.  Solid, reliable, and a great handler.  I sold it in 2016 when I thought I was too old to ride. 

Now I'm itching to get back into it with a smaller ride, AND a plan to take a motorcycle safety course first to make sure my body and brain are still in good operating condition for riding again.

The Hunter looks like the type of bike I would love to ride and also to look at.  It might just be a passing fancy, but I'm waiting for it to show up in Arizona sometime in 2023.
Many motorcycle miles

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #106 on: August 30, 2022, 11:40:29 pm
I hope you get one and bet you will have a blast on it!
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
Reply #107 on: August 31, 2022, 12:04:50 am
Hay Desert_Norm

I've got a V7II Stone now .   It feels like a monster bike to my near 70 year old body !  ::)

I've also got a Meteor.    They both weigh about the same , but the Meteor is light feeling and handles like my old Suzuki LS650 that weighed 350#.    The Meteor turns around on the narrow back-roads with out putting a foot down.   The Guzzi needs almost twice the turnaround space and a foot down.

I'll bet the Hunter will be even better than the Meteor !!  :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 12:16:01 am by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
RE Meteor22 SBlue

rickyrickk31

• Neophyte
Reply #108 on: September 02, 2022, 07:34:30 pm
I’m supposing that the Hunter is meant as a direct competitor with the Honda H’ness CB350. The lower cost probably comes from two areas - lower priced components (plastic fenders, generic headlight bucket v. a casque, shared wheels, controls, etc with the Meteor) and accepting a lower margin on the MSRP.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #109 on: September 04, 2022, 07:23:20 am
I'm liking the "UJM" riding position vs. the traditional chairlike "feet forward" position. Looks like a winner to me. I'm hoping that 3,500 pound price tag settles out to $3,995 or the like on this side of the pond. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqSizY37mQI

Royal Enfield Hunter 350: Review | Bennetts BikeSocial
Watch this video for Adam 'Chad' Child's first thoughts after riding the new-for-2022 #RoyalEnfield #hunter350 dicing the traffic in Bangkok at the international press launch. For the full review, click here: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/royal-enfield/hunter-350-2022-review

Price: £tbc (est.£3500) | Power: 20.2bhp | Wet Weight: 181kg | Overall BikeSocial Rating: 4/5
This is the third bike form Royal Enfield to use the 350 (actually 349.34cc) single-cylinder platform. But despite sharing its power unit with the Classic and Meteor, the Hunter 350 is a new bike. There’s a new chassis, wheels, dimensions, and weight – and it’s the lightest bike in the current Enfield range. The Hunter 350 has been designed to take on the urban environment, with sporty and relatively light 17-inch wheels front and back, a first for Royal Enfield. Overall weight is down compared to its 350 cousins (172kg dry), while its wheelbase is shorter and the steering head steeper.

The Hunter 350 has primarily been designed for the Indian and emerging markets, riding environments in which a 350 is considered a middleweight. Over 80% of Royal Enfield’s global sales come from India alone and the design and production teams, split between the UK and India, wanted to make a bike that was accessible on price and size, agile, comfortable, lightweight, stylish, and modern for that audience.

At an estimated £3,500 Royal Enfield has certainly made the Hunter 350 attractive on price as it’s the cheapest bike in their 350cc range. New 17-inch wheels, a short wheelbase and a steeper head angle should make it sporty as well as eye-catching.

We flew to Bangkok in Thailand to see if the new Hunter 350 could cut it in one of the busiest and most congested cities in the world.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 07:28:58 am by AzCal Retred »

rickyrickk31

• Neophyte
Reply #110 on: September 05, 2022, 09:23:22 pm
I've also got a Meteor.    They both weigh about the same , but the Meteor is light feeling and handles like my old Suzuki LS650 that weighed 350#.    The Meteor turns around on the narrow back-roads with out putting a foot down.   The Guzzi needs almost twice the turnaround space and a foot down.
get-mobdro.com

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #111 on: September 05, 2022, 09:33:31 pm
H's big bore kit will be out soon. Adding a new top end to a single cylinder machine you already know you like and have "fettled" to your own personal comfort is no big deal. The hills you ride will just get flatter, headwinds milder, your 2-up companions seemingly lighter.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #112 on: September 06, 2022, 08:43:07 pm
Sounds like Gales attended the same Bangkok ride as the previous author...

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-reviews/royal-enfield-hunter-350-first-ride-review-2023/

2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350 First Ride Review
A night ride through Bangkok on Royal Enfield’s lighter, nimbler 350.
By Morgan Gales; August 11, 2022

It was 9 p.m. by the time I threw a leg over the Royal Enfield Hunter 350, but the streets of Bangkok never sleep. Some night markets were just opening as vendors hung “Belinciaga” and “Guci” handbags from the roofs of their colorful tents. Food vendors lined every street corner, grilling chicken skewers, tossing fresh pad thai, selling dried squid jerky. From the high-rises of Sathorn Road to the Pak Kret district outside of town, the city is a full sensory experience. We were riding right through its heart.

Motorcycle riding changes greatly based on location. Many US riders would consider my home town of Los Angeles a mad mix of high traffic and lane-splitting. Compared to Bangkok, Los Angeles is a lakeside cruise. To survive Bangkok traffic, one must act quickly, without hesitation. Luckily, the Hunter was designed for just this type of riding.

The Hunter 350 is the third bike with Royal Enfield’s SOHC single-cylinder two-valve 349cc single, following the 2021 Meteor 350 and the 2022 Classic 350. The Meteor was designed to be more of a traditional cruiser model. The Classic, as the name implies, aims to evoke more of a vintage look and feel. And the Hunter seeks to be a more refined take on the platform without sacrificing character. Siddhartha Lal, CEO of Royal Enfield’s parent company Eicher Motors, says, “We wanted it to be more modern without being generic.”

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: October 14, 2022, 01:01:19 am
https://www.topspeed.com/2023-royal-enfield-hunter-350-performance-price-and-photos/

2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350: Performance, Price, and Photos; OCT 04, 2022
Better power-to-weight ratio and more aggressive chassis geometry give the Hunter 350 better handling than a Royal Enfield has ever had. Royal Enfield puts together its charming little Hunter 350 with the soul of a larger bike. Standard cruiser architecture gives it both a classic look and sporty handling. The air-cooled thumper brings it all together with 20 ponies that are raring to go.

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #114 on: October 15, 2022, 09:17:41 pm
 I’ve not been a fan of REs 350cc motors but the Hunter 350 is making me take another look. With a Hitchcock big piston kit it just might work for me.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #115 on: October 21, 2022, 06:19:21 am
https://www.hotcars.com/royal-enfield-hunter-350-features/

Coming to the suspension, the Royal Enfield Hunter 350 shares both front and rear suspension units with the Meteor 350 and Classic 350. The Hunter 350 gets 1.61 inches conventional telescopic forks with 5.12 inches of travel at the front, whereas the rear has twin-tube Emulsion shock absorbers with 6-step adjustable preload and 4.02 inches travel. However, the fact that it has the lightest curb weight should make it the peppiest and most agile motorcycle to ride compared to the other two motorcycles here.

The Royal Enfield Hunter 350 is confirmed to get two variants at launch – base-spec Retro and top-spec Metro. For the Metro variant, the Hunter 350 gets 17-inch alloy wheels wrapped with tubeless tires – 110/70-17 front and 140/70-17 rear – which are the widest tires for a Royal Enfield motorcycle ever. Yes, they are wider than the tires for the 650cc parallel-twin duo, the INT 650, and Continental GT. However, the Retro variants feature conventional spoke wheels with downsized 100/80-17 front and 120/80-17 rear tube-type tires. The brake combination – 300mm front disc with a twin-piston floating caliper and 270mm rear disc with a single piston floating caliper – is the same combination as the Meteor 350 and the Classic 350.

The Hunter 350 Will Be Available In Two Variants
First glimpse of Royal Enfield Hunter 350via Royal Enfield (Instagram)
At the time of its launch, the new Royal Enfield Hunter 350 will get two variants – Retro and Metro. Apart from the different wheels and tires mentioned above, there is a slew of other differences between the two variants.

The base-spec Retro variant will miss out on a center stand, LED tail lamp, and rear disc brake and have a more basic-in-feel single-channel ABS, ovular turn indicators, and more-basic part-digital instrument console. The Metro variant, in comparison, feels better equipped with a more comprehensive part-digital instrument console from the Scram 411, a center stand, dual-channel ABS, LED tail lamp, rear disc brake, and a better-ribbed design for the rider’s seat.

About the color options, the Retro variant will get launched with Factory Black and Factory Silver, and the Metro variant will come with Dapper White, Dapper Ash, and Dapper Grey. The Metro variant will also be available with dual-tone color options like Rebel Black, Rebel Blue, and Rebel Red in the Metro variant. Both these variants of the Royal Enfield Hunter 350 will come to the US with all these color options, thus making them the most affordable motorcycle from Royal Enfield in America.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 06:36:47 am by AzCal Retred »

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #116 on: October 21, 2022, 09:25:04 am
Wouldn’t you know it, according to the hotcars.com story RE 350 Hunter Dapper version is not coming to the US. That’s the one I like best.

The next RE 350 J motor model is going to be the 350 Bullet. I hope it’ll have 19” wheels front and back like my 2007 and 2010 Bullets have.
REs I currently own:
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #117 on: October 21, 2022, 11:59:55 am
   They certainly are nice looking bikes. RE has come a long way, baby  :)

I'm not a big fan of the one big word "Royal" on the gas tank, but I'm also not in the demographic any more so who cares?  :) :)

I hope someone in one of the RE design or advertising department committees doesn't discover the word retro & plaster that all over the side of a gas tank. It's become a wayyyy over-used buzzword like chopper & bobber which are totally corrupted & meaningless now.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #118 on: October 21, 2022, 06:19:31 pm
   They certainly are nice looking bikes. RE has come a long way, baby  :)

I'm not a big fan of the one big word "Royal" on the gas tank, but I'm also not in the demographic any more so who cares?  :) :)

I hope someone in one of the RE design or advertising department committees doesn't discover the word retro & plaster that all over the side of a gas tank. It's become a wayyyy over-used buzzword like chopper & bobber which are totally corrupted & meaningless now.
I agree with you on the retro, chopper and bobber names but I actually like that it says ROYAL on one side and ENFIELD on the other!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #119 on: October 21, 2022, 07:44:49 pm
From the hotcars article:
" Both these variants (Retro, Metro) of the Royal Enfield Hunter 350 will come to the US with all these color options, thus making them the most affordable motorcycle from Royal Enfield in America. "

@ M65: ...ummm...Dapper ??   Is there another hotcars article and/or Hunter variant?  :o  ;D
" Wouldn’t you know it, according to the hotcars.com story RE 350 Hunter Dapper version is not coming to the US. That’s the one I like best.

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #120 on: October 22, 2022, 08:55:14 am
From the hotcars article:
" Both these variants (Retro, Metro) of the Royal Enfield Hunter 350 will come to the US with all these color options, thus making them the most affordable motorcycle from Royal Enfield in America. "

@ M65: ...ummm...Dapper ??   Is there another hotcars article and/or Hunter variant?  :o  ;D
" Wouldn’t you know it, according to the hotcars.com story RE 350 Hunter Dapper version is not coming to the US. That’s the one I like best.
Yes the Hunter Dapper model is in the meddle.  It comes with center stand, Disc Brakes front & rear, Alloy Wheels, and the larger instruments like the Metro model has.
https://www.bikewale.com/royalenfield-bikes/hunter-350/
https://www.bikewale.com/royalenfield-bikes/hunter-350/360-view/  I like the Ash color (showed here) or the White looks good also.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 09:31:10 am by Morgan65 »
REs I currently own:
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #121 on: October 22, 2022, 06:27:16 pm
So in India there will be the stripper model Retro & two iterations of the Metro: Dapper & Rebel. Looks like about a 10% differential between the Retro & Metro, maybe 2% between the "Dapper" & "Rebel". Even the Indians have a hard time with the moniker "Dapper". Looks like for another $60-$100 over the Dapper you get different paint. I can see why we'll only get the "Metro Rebel". So far the Retro seems to be slated to be a $4400 machine over here, so the Metro will likely be $4,999.99... :o ;D

https://gaadify.com/royal-enfield-hunter-350-variants-explained-retro-metro-and-metro-rebel/

Hunter 350 Retro Factory
₹ 1,49,900; Disc Brakes, Spoke Wheels (no centre stand; maybe $60 aftermarket?)

Hunter 350 Metro Dapper
₹ 1,63,581; Disc Brakes, Alloy Wheels
Compared to the Retro variant, the first difference that you will notice on the Hunter 350’s Metro trim is its more lively color schemes. You can choose from Dapper White, Dapper Ash, and Dapper Grey hues. Further, differentiating it is the LED tail lamps, round turn indicators, Meteor 350-like switchgear & instrument cluster, 17-inch alloy wheels with 110/70 front and 140/70 rear section tires, and disc brakes at both ends with dual-channel ABS. It also gets a two-piece grab rail along with Royal Enfield badging on its single-piece seat that gets a ribbed pattern on the rider’s patch. (with centre stand?)

Hunter 350 Metro Rebel
₹ 1,68,239; Disc Brakes, Alloy Wheels
The Metro Rebel variant gets all the features of the Metro trim. The only difference between the two is the dual-tone paint schemes of the latter: Rebel Black, Rebel Blue, and Rebel Red.(has centre stand)

davethumper350

• Scooter
Reply #122 on: October 27, 2022, 09:55:22 pm
The dapper models also have centre stands

hotrob

• Scooter
  • UK
Reply #123 on: December 02, 2022, 02:13:30 pm
I watched this video of a Hunter 350 being unboxed at my local Royal Enfield dealer in the UK.  It looks nice and shiny, and it sounds nice too.  He says it's a little louder than the Meteor and Classic.  https://youtu.be/fJV6WAbs1dY

RipleyRich

• Scooter
Reply #124 on: December 03, 2022, 07:13:41 am
It`s not one for me. There`s just nothing special or different about if for me, whereas the Meteor & Classic have a real identity.
Past Rides:

Honda CB100N
Suzuki RG125 Wolf
Suzuki Bandit 600F
Suzuki GSX 1400
Vespas (Various)
Suzuki T350
Honda Silverwing 600
Yamaha Tracer 700

Current Ride:
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
Royal Enfield Bullet 350

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #125 on: December 03, 2022, 08:16:36 am
It`s not one for me. There`s just nothing special or different about if for me, whereas the Meteor & Classic have a real identity.

I feel the same, it will appeal to younger riders I think and hope.
Motorcycling is dying in the UK.
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #126 on: December 03, 2022, 09:01:34 am
Mark Pulling did this.I have watched a lot of his excellent reviews on motorcycles.That good he bought this one he unboxed.
Freedom.

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #127 on: December 03, 2022, 04:30:13 pm
Mark does a good job with his reviews; I find it interesting that after seat time on the Meteor and Classic, he chose the Hunter (HNTR). He also stated that he will be using it through the Winter. Be interesting to see how that goes. I think he chose the sharpest color scheme as well.

om15

• Scooter
Reply #128 on: December 03, 2022, 06:01:19 pm
Mark does do a good job with his reviews, I watched his review of the Classic 350 and out of interest I went down to Poole Moto to have a look at one, thought it was a nice bike, just as I was paying the deposit he walked in and we had a chat about the bike, so really he was directly responsible for the sale.
This is my fourth Royal Enfield and I think that it is a great little bike for Sunday mornings.
current bikes
 2001 Bonneville 790,  RE Bullet 500 UCE

Previous, RE Classic 500, Classic 350 , RE Himalayan 2019, RE Interceptor 2020.
Triumph Trident 900, 2003 Bonneville 790 , Adventurer 900, T100 Bonneville, Street Twin. Tracer 700.  BSA C15, Yamaha XT500
Retired aircraft engineer South West

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #129 on: December 05, 2022, 06:33:35 am
Stuart Fillingham has also been riding and reporting on a HNTR loaner bike and has good things to say, especially seat comfort just like Mark mentioned. I'm looking forward to checking one out when they become available in the US. So many new bikes so little...garage space! ;)

Macamx

• Scooter
Reply #130 on: January 10, 2023, 06:19:00 pm
Currently own a Meteor which I intend to keep as a “Sunny Day Cruiser” whilst lightly modifying it and buy a Hunter as a workhorse.

ButteMT

• Grease Monkey
Reply #131 on: January 12, 2023, 05:50:48 pm
@scott_650, our dealer had ~7-8 colors when we bought in July, 2022.  The most time we spent (three of us bought one) was choosing the colors!  It sounds awesome, but really, we all struggled to pick the right one.  They guys at the dealership were laughing at us walking to the lower shop, the upper to see them all.  It's that hard!

I ended up with a Halcyon Grey, son got the Bronze/Chrome, and buddy got Halcyon Green.  I tried the Signals, but thought better of it as I love polished metal cases, etc.

I'm very much impressed with this bike.  I'm 61, and have been riding now for 50+ years. Smallest bike I've owned since I was a kid (engine) and the most fun I think I've had since then...

Adding parts is likewise fun and inexpensive.  You can customize the heck out of it.

Here's some pics I took yesterday with the new black touring seat set:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/b126RPQ

Ride Safe 🙏🏼

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #132 on: January 12, 2023, 07:18:26 pm
@scott_650, our dealer had ~7-8 colors when we bought in July, 2022.  The most time we spent (three of us bought one) was choosing the colors!  It sounds awesome, but really, we all struggled to pick the right one.  They guys at the dealership were laughing at us walking to the lower shop, the upper to see them all.  It's that hard!

I ended up with a Halcyon Grey, son got the Bronze/Chrome, and buddy got Halcyon Green.  I tried the Signals, but thought better of it as I love polished metal cases, etc.

I'm very much impressed with this bike.  I'm 61, and have been riding now for 50+ years. Smallest bike I've owned since I was a kid (engine) and the most fun I think I've had since then...

Adding parts is likewise fun and inexpensive.  You can customize the heck out of it.

Here's some pics I took yesterday with the new black touring seat set:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/b126RPQ

Ride Safe 🙏🏼

Thats a very fine looking motorcycle ButteMT
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #133 on: January 12, 2023, 07:53:29 pm
Exactly what I think.

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #134 on: January 12, 2023, 07:54:30 pm
I feel the same, it will appeal to younger riders I think and hope.
Motorcycling is dying in the UK.
Didn't know that, I thought it was popular !

One_Box

• Scooter
  • Herefordshire, England
Reply #135 on: January 13, 2023, 04:27:18 pm
Just ordered a Hunter 350 (Dapper Grey) for £3899 including on the road charges and free delivery.
A good time of the year to purchase in the UK.
I had a Classic 350 last year but didn’t gel with the bike, I do have high hopes for the Hunter however. It fits me far better and I much prefer the gear change & cast wheels with tubeless tyres.

ButteMT

• Grease Monkey
Reply #136 on: January 13, 2023, 05:17:03 pm
Congrats!  What didn't you like about the Royal Enfield Classic 350?
How long will it take to get your Hunter?

One_Box

• Scooter
  • Herefordshire, England
Reply #137 on: January 13, 2023, 06:09:25 pm
Congrats!  What didn't you like about the Royal Enfield Classic 350?
How long will it take to get your Hunter?

The Hunter 350 should arrive in about a month (fingers crossed).
My main gripe with the Classic 350 was the position of the gear lever ( I couldn’t get my foot under it when wearing my motorcycle boots.) I did adjust it but was never really happy with the end result. This is the first time I had that problem in 30 years of motorcycling.
The Classic 350 (Halcyon Green) was a stunning looking bike but sadly it didn’t work for me.

ButteMT

• Grease Monkey
Reply #138 on: January 13, 2023, 06:18:37 pm
Bummer.  We all moved the peg up one notch and it fixed it for us.  Also got the touring pegs which are more comfy and make shifting easier.
But if you don't feel "right" on the bike, then it's time to move on...
Good luck with the Hunter!  Hope you like that one.

Ride Safe 🙏🏼

One_Box

• Scooter
  • Herefordshire, England
Reply #139 on: January 14, 2023, 08:48:26 am
Thanks, I had one of the first bikes sold in the UK when accessories were not available. I didn’t know RE made touring pegs for the Classic 350.
When I sat on a Hunter at the dealers I took my motorcycle boots along and had no issues at all operating the gear lever. A completely different experience luckily.

One_Box

• Scooter
  • Herefordshire, England
Reply #140 on: January 16, 2023, 12:47:43 pm
Is there some speculation that the Hunter "don't have the speed limiter" ?

Mark , if you had the 16 tooth sprocket and was caught up in the "Wind Draft" of the traffic then could you run with the higher speed traffic ?   
The trucks with their "Governors"  run wide open against their speed limiters all the time.   ;)

I figure most of the folks here have a second bike for running the Super Slab with , but like the mpg and relaxed sprit of the Meteor on the back roads better.  ???

I know someone who has a fully run in Hunter 350. He can get at least 80 mph max speed (level straight road, no wind). He has confirmed that speed with two different GPS devices.
This is a UK bike so I don’t know whether the lack of a speed limiter will apply world wide.

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #141 on: January 16, 2023, 02:51:47 pm
I know someone who has a fully run in Hunter 350. He can get at least 80 mph max speed (level straight road, no wind). He has confirmed that speed with two different GPS devices.
This is a UK bike so I don’t know whether the lack of a speed limiter will apply world wide.

I wonder if this is indicative of all the 2023 J model 350s? Anyone out there with a new 2023 Classic or Meteor want to confirm this? Not that 7-8 mph higher top speed all that but it’d be good to know.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #142 on: January 16, 2023, 03:53:36 pm
I wonder if this is indicative of all the 2023 J model 350s? Anyone out there with a new 2023 Classic or Meteor want to confirm this? Not that 7-8 mph higher top speed all that but it’d be good to know.
The Hunter is the lightest 350 at 181kg but I thought the  speed limiter would kick in well before 80mph.
Freedom.

One_Box

• Scooter
  • Herefordshire, England
Reply #143 on: January 16, 2023, 06:55:38 pm
The Hunter is the lightest 350 at 181kg but I thought the  speed limiter would kick in well before 80mph.

Real world experience suggests otherwise.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #144 on: January 16, 2023, 07:21:45 pm
Real world experience suggests otherwise.
[/quote
It rides comfortably at 70 mph without the engine feeling stressed the reviews so far have said.I would be happy with that.
Freedom.

Reg Idler

• Scooter
Reply #145 on: January 16, 2023, 10:19:57 pm
I enjoy my Classic, but the Hunter appeals to me because it weighs a bit less, has 17-inch alloy wheels with tubeless tires, and doesn't have much (if any) chrome. I like looking at my Halcyon Green Classic; I do not like keeping the shiny parts nice to look at. I'll certainly test-ride a Hunter as soon as they show up at U.S. dealers, but my decision will depend on how well the bike rides on bad roads. My Classic handles our rough roads very well, and I suspect that the larger, wire-spoke wheels and high-profile, tube-type tires contribute to the nice ride. All else being equal, lower-profile tubeless tires on cast rims make for a harsher ride. But if the Hunter copes with bumps and holes nearly as well as the Classic, I'll probably trade in the Classic.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #146 on: January 16, 2023, 11:47:02 pm
I enjoy my Classic, but the Hunter appeals to me because it weighs a bit less, has 17-inch alloy wheels with tubeless tires, and doesn't have much (if any) chrome. I like looking at my Halcyon Green Classic; I do not like keeping the shiny parts nice to look at. I'll certainly test-ride a Hunter as soon as they show up at U.S. dealers, but my decision will depend on how well the bike rides on bad roads. My Classic handles our rough roads very well, and I suspect that the larger, wire-spoke wheels and high-profile, tube-type tires contribute to the nice ride. All else being equal, lower-profile tubeless tires on cast rims make for a harsher ride. But if the Hunter copes with bumps and holes nearly as well as the Classic, I'll probably trade in the Classic.
These classic 350's don't have much chrome.I am looking forward to test riding the classic 350 and Hunter this spring.
Freedom.