Author Topic: How to remove gas tank on Classic 500 euro 4?  (Read 2090 times)

CHURCHILL

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 04:12:57 pm
It appears that there are a few options on this with varying costs,

Purchase new pump and fit

strip old pump and drill and fit metal connector

go the whole hog and convert the EFI models to carb, two types pre 17 and post 17
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Mikuni-Conversion-Kit-EFI-Models/38128

or sell bike

MMMmmm

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 20, 2022, 10:20:14 pm
I managed to download the pdf in the end these new iPads have changed the software, anyway studying it looks very good repair for a few pennies very clear instructions, of course this should have been metal in the first place but this does save you buying a new pump if you have tools and experience.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: June 20, 2022, 10:29:43 pm
Teddy what went wrong when you tried to repair it, of course these bikes can be a bit demanding they need more attention and care than a modern bike, people need to make sure they know this before they buy one and have good mechanical skills. One option you could have taken was buy RE pump off the web and fit it your self would have saved a lot, it’s one of those things working on these bikes is part o the package some people see it as a hobbie.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 10:36:44 pm by Carl Fenn »

manxmike

• Manxmike
  • Scooter
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 03:28:19 pm
Be really careful when removing the fuel line from the fuel pump, the fuel pump outlet gets brittle and snaps easily.
It most certainly does, mine started spraying a fine mist of fuel and when I tried to remove the fuel line, the little spigot came away with the attachment. Getting the lower part of the fuel pump is easy in India, but next to impossible in the UK. When I looked into getting one shipped over it ended up costing more than a complete new fuel pump.
If all about you are panicking then you've missed something important

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #19 on: July 28, 2022, 04:09:16 pm
People used to complain about zinc alloys, calling it "potmetal" and saying how weak and failure prone it was.

Then somebody invented plastic!