Author Topic: Case gasket  (Read 962 times)

Matt1995

• Scooter
on: April 25, 2022, 05:19:14 pm
I’m back it with my 01 bullet 500. I have to do the center case gasket. I saw some kits online but not sure which one I should be looking at. I found the entire disassembly and reassembly procedure for the motor.
I’m still new to enfield so I don’t exactly know what I have other than I know it’s a 500. The number order the jug is 1B5-10502A.
Also any tips or things I should look out for when disassembling and reassembling?
Thanks

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 05:58:51 pm
Why are you replacing just the center case gasket? Did the crank frag? There's lots of bits that should be renewed if you separate the case halves.

Oil weepage is pretty normal for older vertically split case designs. Unless it's a 1/2 cup a night or so, that's a LOT of effort to go to. Oil is still pretty cheap, a pie pan with kitty litter saves a lot of money up front. If my cases have to come apart, you can bet there will be a $2000 Hitchcock's stroker crank/steel rod going back in... ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Matt1995

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 07:50:46 pm
I want to do the center gasket. I’m not just going to replace that gasket though

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 09:36:27 pm
Well those old vertical split cases did have their problems for sure.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 12:51:23 am
Still not sure why the center case gasket is getting changed, maybe just curiosity? How's your workshop tooled up? Do you have the factory repair tooling or are you planning to "finagle" everything apart? What are you using for information? Which manuals? What mods/repairs are you anticipating? You know about Hitchcock's, right? Great parts supply & information resource. There's always some unexpected expense and it requires careful, thoughtful work whenever the cases come apart; it's best to have a good reason to go in there...? It's real easy to create another basket case, harder to keep the Old Girls running sweet.

https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbook/88/1995-500cc-bullet-export

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 09:41:16 am
Certainly quite a complex job to strip an engine l have done it in the past a couple of times but not without  the help of a pro, not saying it can’t be done but not the sort of job for a novice for sure, l mean it’s a fact of life you will always get the odd oil leak on those older engines it’s just the way they are it’s what they did. I have seen a few of my mates attempt it in the past the motors have ended up in the eternal box of bits.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 09:45:06 am by Carl Fenn »

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 04:30:03 pm
With my old Triumph 650 twins the trick to leak proof cases was a sealant made by Yamaha called Yamabond. a smear of that on the cases when reassembling them worked wonders. I'm happy to just put a drip tray under the Bullet when it's parked as it doesn't leak all that much to make it worth a tear down. Like any good hipster will tell you those oil drips make it authentic!  ;)

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 10:30:53 pm
Well l think that is one of the hall marks of being British even my old 70s MZ l used to use as work bike was oil tight, thank god for the cat lit tray our salvation. There is no gasket on the crankcase halves only a thin coat of sealant as not to disturb end float tolerances.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 10:37:19 pm by Carl Fenn »